The Manchester United thread 2006/2007 - featuring BBB leaving early

foobR

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20?:

Right lads, I've just acquired some interesting information about which teams are listed as our rivals in the upcoming FM2007. Thought you might find this interesting:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

Liverpool 21

Man City 19

Leeds 18

Arsenal 17

Chelsea 15

Blackburn 14

Newcastle 13

Bolton 12

West Ham 11

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've only just stopped laughing at everyone below the top three, and I was told this ten minutes ago. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thought it only went up to 20. They are well wrong on the ammount but at least there in the right order. The bottom 5 are irrelevant though.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 51.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BBB:

Stolen from RI, spot on.

Not a massive fan of the lad and if he wants to go to Real Madrid then there’s the door sunshine but…….

It’s always somebody else’s fault isn’t it? Ronaldo gets Rooney sent off and is now single headedly responsible for England crashing out of the World Cup. What utter boll*cks. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

tbf it's the Sun et al stirring it up, I myself was surprised by the lack of 'blame' being attributed to Ronaldo from people I've spoken too, mates, work colleagues etc, most seem to dislike Ronaldo's attitude (diving, referee hassling etc), agree what Rooney did was stupid (but wouldn't give him grief about it, his temperment is a big part of his game) and are dissapointed at Sven, there's been a lot of begrudging acceptance we just bottle it on pens too icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BBB:

Ronaldo claims he didn’t try to get Rooney sent off, claiming he was highlighting the foul. Automatically he’s branded a liar, but is their any evidence to suggest otherwise?

What’s the universal tactic for trying to get an oppositional player booked or sent off? Running towards the ref brandishing the imaginary card. Guilty or not guilty?

Did Ronaldo feign injury a la Thierry Henry? Guilty or not guilty? Talking of which, notice how Carvalho has come out smelling of roses in all this? Didn’t he ‘cheat’ by rolling around in mock agony? He seemed to make a remarkably quick recovery to say he’d just been ‘stamped’ in the balls. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Agree, but then as I say that's why the fans I've spoken to don't like the Portugese side as a collective, because of the play acting etc, Ronaldo went up to the referee once the ref had obviously blown up, it was stupid of him to get involved given all the circumstances imo, and god knows what he actually said to the ref, it's almost irrelevent in that sense.

This whole witch hunt stems from the immediate desperate, spiteful BBC coverage.

Alan Shearer: ’Rooney should stick one on him on the first day of training’. Really Alan? This coming from a man not adverse to kicking a fellow professional in the head. But that’s not cheating is it Alan? That’s playing the game the 'English’ way. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Mark's picked up on that I see, misquoted for a start, and in an article where genralisations such as "Whenever England lose there’s always got to be a scapegoat. Ronaldo fits the bill perfectly: young, cocky, flash and a United player to boot. Perfect." are prevalent, an excuse for a dig at Shearer is found who iirc isn't exactly loved up there? icon_biggrin.gif

Ian ‘was that a wink?’ Wright. Jesus H. Christ – that’ll stand up in court won’t it Ian? Ronaldo winks 20 times an hour during a game. And what if he is pleased that Rooney’s gone? I’m sorry but at that moment in time Rooney is not a United team mate – he’s the main threat from a team that is now down to 10 men in a World Cup Quarter Final. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

tbf again, given the circumstances, the hightened emotions, and the feelings of fans at the time, the wink circumstantially fitted in with what appeared to be Ronaldo attempting to get Rooney sent off, I think it was an understandable comment personally as it angered me at the time icon_biggrin.gif

But I still think it was possibly a tad silly for Ronaldo to make an effort to get needlessly involved in the Rooney incident - from a United perspective I mean.

Heinze would’ve done the same. He’s a United player but he loves his country more than United. He certainly loves his country more than England. I’m amazed that England fans always seem to think they’ve got a monopoly on patriotism and ‘putting your country first’. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

This part is a bit pathetic. "He certainly loves his country more than England." well no ****, is this meant to stun people? rile England fans or what? so pointless. And yea, England fans think they have a monopoly on patriotism. Hate being handed out for the sake of it here.

Incidentally, this is the same Ian Wright who said at half time: ‘I fear for Wayne in that isolated role. I can see him getting frustrated and into trouble in the second half’. Spot on Einstein. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sort of agree with Wright there (not excusing Rooney's behaviour ofc), but don't understand why the writer has mentioned it, does he feel Sven's to blame for the sending off? is he mocking Wright yet agreeing with him now? :/

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BBB:So now we’ve got the tabloids running a hate campaign against a young player who took turns tormenting both (world class) England full backs and had the balls to step up to score the winning penalty in a World Cup Quarter Final. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It is pathetic, completely agree, and it will work to an extent which is the tragic thing, but, it is noticiable that there seems to be a far far higher percentage of rational minded views on this, maybe it's just me going around changing people's minds but I've seen no Ronaldo dartboards icon_biggrin.gif and I think general consensus is Ronaldo is a twat for his conduct, the cockiness and for getting involved, but he's not 'responsible'. That make sense?

As England plodded through, the only thing you could get out of some fans was ‘It’s the World Cup, the performance is irrelevant, the result is everything. If Portugal did set out to ‘get ‘Rooney than it says as much about Rooney as it does about them. The Portuguese didn’t invent winding up vulnerable players – it’s the oldest trick in the book. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Agree again, it's just a tactic, not the most admirable of one, and it is more common in sides like Portugal than our own (not saying we're innocent or 'too honest' icon_biggrin.gif as has banded about) and as I say I think people are more aware and therefore accepting of this mentality now, than in previous campaigns to be perfectly honest.

Whenever England lose there’s always got to be a scapegoat. Ronaldo fits the bill perfectly: young, cocky, flash and a United player to boot. Perfect. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

This part though is vomit inducing. Just makes me want to slap him and tell him not everyone thinks of Man United all the time?

the seige /o\

• 2 weeks later...

They thought (im guessing) that they could tap into the American/Asian market, been there done that, didn't work.

It's bloody obvious that we are in the deep brown stuff.

One year season tickets

Season tickets to literally ANYONE

hardly any tickets to members

They're starting to panic.

• 2 weeks later...

As I said before, I dont make any personal judgements about players. Rio ifb as far as I'm concerned and care not for his off-field persona, ditto with Richardson.

And also, as I said before, the Richardson hate comes from the fact that he's sh*te.

He's fast and can smack a ball - possibly hitting the target every 5 shots and working the keeper every 10. Aside from that, his passing is awful, the simplest of balls are misplaced, his general footballing brain is poor, often taking the wrong option, and he struggles to have a real impact against ANY team of quality in a competitive game.

West Brom was his level

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Shonte:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20?:

Consistently so. Pretty much any major United story over the past few years has been broken by him in advance of it reaching the public domain. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Are you expecting to see a Carrick/Scholes CM pairing now then?

Assuming you don't sign another CM. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

MASCHERANO'S COMING FFS

It was in the Mirror, why are people so quick to dismiss it?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by something less annoying:

Does anyone have a reasonable explanation for the signing of Evra yet? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

He saw that he had 20 for crossing on FM and thought that he'd be a better option on the left wing than Richardson icon14.gif

I'm baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaack \o/

My season ticket just arrived :***)

3X£1 off vouchers for the concourses, needless to say I ripped them up icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, you didn't bin them though. Blatantly off out to buy some sellotape imo.

I'm back too. Think I may just sleep for about a week.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Keyser:

Bayern need to be seen as doing what they can to keep him, he wants to go, he'll sign.

trust me. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

never icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Remember the Chelsea game? I stuck my neck out and what happened?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bagpuss:

Van Bommel has signed a three-year deal, believed to be in the region of £8m, with the German giants after undergoing a medical on Monday.

From the Beeb.

Probably fecked up the conversion from mickey mouse money into pounds </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

lets all believe the BBC \o/ icon_wink.gif

from the BBC last week:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Owen Hargreaves could hand in a transfer request if Bayern Munich continue to block his desired move to Manchester United. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

now that happened now did it

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DeafParrot:

Silvestre's a TERRIBLE left back. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

funny, aurelio's performance against sheff utd was silvestre-esque.

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ACou2000:

atmosphere on Sunday should be decent...

THAT 2-0 vs Arsenal had a ffffffffb noise. I was so emotional when Ruud scored too :*) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

:*) I was so happy at that point just punching the air and feeling as though vengence had been handed out for Keowns actions the previous year.

Loudest noise I've ever been in at Old Trafford was for Man Utd - Leverkusen when Ricardo gave away a penalty. I was in the Stretford End and the whole stand just rose to its feet and started chanting Utd Utd.

Was so amazingly atmospheric and the leverkusen player bottled it and smashed it over the bar I think to a huge roar from the crowd.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by snipersdream:

Only because the Thread collectively shamed you into going... icon13.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

"Um, look love, it's nothing personal. It's just that there's a bunch of internet randoms I've never met who really don't seem to like me, and this might get me back into their good books. I hope you understand."

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Pickles:

blimey, i must be the only person looking forward to this a lot. I really do think we're gonna pull a performance out the bag, we're due one ffs </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

well we didn't pull out a performance, but we got a win \o/

FYI icon_smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by theis:

Thought I'd do a provisional fixture list assuming we stay in all competitions to the end:

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">

Wednesday, 07 March 2007 UEFA CL Man Utd v Lille (agg 1-0), 19:45

Saturday, 10 March 2007 FA CUP Middlesbrough v Man Utd, 17:30

Tuesday, 13 March 2007 FRIENDLY Man Utd v Europe XI, 20:00

Saturday, 17 March 2007 PREM Man Utd v Bolton, 12:45

Saturday, 31 March 2007 PREM Man Utd v Blackburn, 15:00

Wednesday, 04 April 2007 UEFA CL ?Quarter Final Leg 1?

Saturday, 07 April 2007 PREM Portsmouth v Man Utd, 17:15

Tuesday, 10 April 2007 UEFA CL ?Quarter Final Leg 2?

Saturday, 14 April 2007 FA CUP ?Semi Final?

Wednesday, 18 April 2007 PREM Man Utd v Sheff Utd, 20:00 REARRANGED

Saturday, 21 April 2007 PREM Man Utd v Middlesbrough, 15:00

Wednesday, 25 April 2007 UEFA CL ?Semi Final Leg 1?

Saturday, 28 April 2007 PREM Everton v Man Utd, 12:00

Tuesday, 01 May 2007 UEFA CL ?Semi Final Leg 2?

Saturday, 05 May 2007 PREM Man City v Man Utd, 15:00

Tuesday, 08 May 2007 PREM Chelsea v Man Utd, 13:30 REARRANGED

Sunday, 13 May 2007 PREM Man Utd v West Ham, 15:00

Saturday, 19 May 2007 FA CUP ?Final?

Wednesday, 23 May 2007 UEFA CL ?Final?

</pre>

Severly congested with a potential 8 games in April and then 6 games in the first 3 and a bit weeks of May. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Young Jimlad:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ACou2000:

Mancini is a striker? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No. A winger/forward when Roma play 451 with Totti up by himself. Whenever I see players positions misstated in press releases I generally assume ignorance/something being lost in translation. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

He played up front for much of last season tbf

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jonnieboy:

Probably going to watch ManU-Rome during easter. Would like to know if the home crowd's situated in the East Stand or the West Stand? Reply would be very much appreciated. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

there is no ManU-Rome game afaik. Manchester United (Man United or United is acceptable) versus Roma is the game you're clearly referring to.

still not done by a long way. i reckon chelsea will win all their remaining games, the only tough ones are the geordies and arsenal away but they will stroll past the godawful mags and arsenal have nothing to play for so no doubt wont even turn up.

gonna come down to the last day this as we will definitely drop points at chelsea and one other game, probably city.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Russ S:

Whats Phil Marsh like? Huddersfield have him on loan. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Old Aussie cricketer, iirc.

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20:

21 now, yeah

didn't think that through if i'm honest icon_frown.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Doesn't that leave Keiron Lee and Chris eagles as the only players who qualify who've played a league game?

• 4 weeks later...

Archived