The Manchester United thread 2006/2007 - featuring BBB leaving early

foobR

• Replies 51.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Darren Fletcher says the World Cup has given him and the club's young players a chance to impress the manager before the start of the season.

The United players on World Cup duty will not return to the club until later this month, leaving opportunities for the rest of the squad to stake a claim in pre-season and training and on the forthcoming tour of South Africa.

"Pre-season is where you like to make your mark and catch the manager’s eye," Fletcher told MUTV. "That can lead to a successful season.

"The whole ethos of the club is to bring through young players. Our young players will be coming back for pre-season with not so many first team players around, so there an opportunity for players to be starting more games than expected, they need to take full advantage."

Fletcher ended the 2005/06 campaign out of the team, but on the South Africa tour he is likely to be one of the squad's more senior members.

"There will be a few younger players on the tour and I am one of the more experienced in the squad so I’ve got a lot of responsibility."

It is a chance for the 22-year-old Scottish international to re-establish himself in the first-team.

"I want to give a good impression of Manchester United in South Africa and win all three matches," he said. "But the most important thing individually is to get your fitness right for the season and prepare properly." </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

• Administrators

Fergie's senile. he contradicts himself there

"“The situation with him is that he’s been at Antwerp for three years now which means he is soon eligible for a European passport "

but then he mentions getting one the other way

"“He’s played four times for China now so we could apply on the fact of his potential. In England as it stands now we could get him a work permit on appeal based on his potential because he’s only 20 and has already played for China four times."

but then we fixed wps for Mikel and Kalou...somehow

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by snipersdream:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20?:

i'm not done yet. i raise you excessive use of the safety wink. the true mark of a moron. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Pun intended? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't understand. What pun ?

• 2 weeks later...

ffs Giggs is a LEDGE

And he's actually looked rather good in recent weeks too.

To the guy who said he should be played on the left.. that was the problem.. he randomly started drifiting all over the place last couple of years and it doesnt suit him.

Against Fulham there were STILL flashes of the brilliant dribbling ability he has.. plus that cross... he's not what he was but to say Smith is more of a legend already is a complete joke.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Young Jimlad:

Arrg! Too many players...

10. Scholes

-9. Cantona

-8. Kanchelskis

-7. Keane

-6. Schmeichel

-5. van Nistelrooy

-4. Solskjaer

-3. Hughes

-2. Veron

-1. Irwin

Might amend this slightly later. Have to have a bit more of a think whether I want Becks, Giggs, Robbo, Pally & GNev involved. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Gahaha, Veron there but no Giggs or Robson icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Shostfrock:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Gregg Carter:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Shostfrock:

it's the best when good old fergie is crying after the games, anyway enjoy your misery icon_smile.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Misery?

So who is going to win the league for the next ten years then? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

not manure thats for sure </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

AHAHAHAHA. MANURE!! icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif YOU UTTER UTTER GENIUS!

That's so funny! And so fresh!

Cuunt.

• 1 month later...

On the Ole issue, it may not even have been Mark I had this discussion with - I just remember someone taking issue with me saying Ole still had something to offer us, saying it was being overly sentimental. Me putting him in MOTM contention yesterday obviously was a bit sentimental and in all seriousness I'd have had Fletch and Vidic ahead of him, but I think it was a good performance from him. He's clearly getting more and more match fitness by the game, any lack of pace his injuries may have caused seems to be negligible and it wasn't and isn't what he's about anyway, and I think it's unfair to say we lacked a focal point yesterday and attribute that to him - you could level the same accusation at Saha, and I think it will be an issue for us this season.

End of the day, his goals have won us two games now, he's scored four typically predatory strikes (and he's the only player we have who's going to get that type of goal really), he's touch wood only going to continue to improve and he's a hugely useful option for us. He's not going to start every week, but he obviously excepts that, and you won't find (m)any other forwards of his quality who would.

• 3 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">We'd still be paying too much for a guy I don't really think I'd put ahead of any of our 6 first choice midfielders really in relation to what they offer the team as a whole (Ronaldo, Scholes, Carrick, Giggs, Fletcher, Park).....

Also he's not going to improve the pacey counter-attacking verve we've developed recently and therefore he's going to be on the bench </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

They're the only bits i'd take slight issue with. If you take them both as central midfielders, Carrick is the poor mans Beckham. If he was already in the squad, i'd be be playing him ahead of both Carrick or Fletcher in the middle. And given that his long passing is so good (something that often seems to be forgotten as people concentrate on his crossing) he'd actually suit our counter attacking game down to the ground.

But obviously that's all academic, as i agree with your main arguments, and that we shouldn't sign him.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20:

Everton need to have a good long look at themselves, because to be that outclassed by that United XI is pretty shameful. In years to come the likes of Lee Carsley and Leon Osman will break down in tears and admit to their grandkids that they lost a midfield battle against the might of John O'Shea, Kieran Richardson, Darren Fletcher (ifb) and Wes Brown.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

What do you really expect from us Nick? We're missing our 2 most influential players (Johnson and Cahill) we couldn't play Howard who's been amazing in goal for us and we had to replace him with Wright, who's never lived up to expectation and we couldn't play Pip at rightback as we needed cover for the Central Mid role, so we had to break up the very effective Yobo Lescott partnership. Our squad depth is even thiner than yours! The fact you're on such a good run of form and you were playing at home, i'm pleased we didn't get routed.

• 3 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Francis Cole:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">and i'd say you're being really rather patronising yourself fran by telling us we have no right to be annoyed by these things </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No, as I say you have a complete right to be annoyed. But taking the attitude that you would rather relegation than the situation you are in? That's just melodramatic. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

perhaps - i think it's a bit idealistic of people to think that if we went down, the glazers would **** off, we'd get new, more acceptable owners and go back to how we were, but i can see where they're coming from. i don't think people are expressing a wish to go down, merely saying they'd take that hit hypothetically if it meant we could get rid of the glazers and the ridiculous debt.

it was more the 'poor man utd and all their money' type comments that i found patronising, btw

• 3 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Go-Go:

Bale - don't suppose any of you are regulars at Southampton but is he purely a left-back or is he viewed as a long-term replacement for G. Neville? Or, if he does come, are you expecting him to be back-up for Evra and Heinze to shuffle of to AC/Juve etc? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

the latter, probably. he's an attacking left-back so with Fergie, if there's any positional alterations to be made it'll be converting him to a left midfielder.

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by RedBlood:

Anyone going Spurs want to meet up for a drink?

Don't have a brief but am going to try get one on the day/jib in </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I will if I turn up with time to spare, made such fb time for West Ham and then turned up with 20 mins to KO icon_biggrin.gif

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JulesMUFC:

official trips /o\. only good reason is to get a ticket, will apply through the ballot/speak to some people and if nothing will probs go through fisal resources.

there some good titty bars in munich u reckon keef? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

its munich ffs what do you think icon_rolleyes.gif

i'll worry about that sort of thing when i see who we get and how long i can skive off work, semi ticket means of aquiring etc

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

More on Fergie/Saha

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Injured Saha skips dinner as relationship with Ferguson sours further

Daniel Taylor

Wednesday May 16, 2007

The Guardian

Sir Alex Ferguson's relationship with Louis Saha has become increasingly strained because of the striker's susceptibility to injury, with the Frenchman claiming he was not fit enough even to attend Manchester United's end-of-season dinner. Saha, a conspicuous absentee as Cristiano Ronaldo was named as the club's player of the year, has started only four games in 2007 and Ferguson believes the former Fulham striker may become a liability.

United's manager has had angry words with Saha behind the scenes and has pointedly remarked in press conferences that the player needs to feel he is 100% fit or he does not play. The inference is that most players would try to run off niggling injuries and that Saha did not show the same dedication as others.

Saha has had recurrent hamstring problems and, having finally been given the medical all-clear, he has been ruled out of Saturday's FA Cup final against Chelsea after damaging knee cartilage in training. He was at Old Trafford on Sunday to collect his Premiership winner's medal but he later submitted a doctor's note explaining that he was unable to drive and would therefore not attend the club dinner. Although he was given permission to stay at home, it is felt by some inside the club that he could have made it.

The episode is unlikely to have improved Ferguson's faltering opinion of the former Fulham attacker, with every other player from the senior, reserve and youth academy squads in attendance apart from Park Ji-sung, who is recovering from a major knee operation.

Ferguson's primary concern is that he wanted Saha to form a regular partnership with Wayne Rooney in attack. After an encouraging start to the season, Saha lost his place when Henrik Larsson joined on loan and has subsequently suffered a string of injuries. Three and a half years after signing for United for £12.8m he has started only 66 games and, to Ferguson's irritation, there have been three occasions in the past six weeks when he has been pencilled in to make his comeback, and given the all-clear by the club's doctors, only to rule himself out at the last minute.

Ferguson's frustrations derive from the fact that United are generally at their best when Saha is in attack. The striker, for his part, has made it clear he wants to remain at Old Trafford. "There is no reason to leave," he said last night. "We have just won the title and I want to stay at the club to help us win more championships."

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

sell Silvestre as well. Evans and O'Shea as cover for a season, Fábio to come in next summer and be awesome.

£5m is a bit ridiculous, but isn't Gaby eligible to do that contract buy-out thing for about that much? if he wants to go then it might be that getting £5m is better than letting him do that.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived