The Manchester United thread 2006/2007 - featuring BBB leaving early

foobR

Right, to move things on from those scouse dullards, some ramblings about the fixtures:

First six games against suvvern teams, quite random. Decent opening game - generally do well against Fulham at home, tends to be entertaining football-wise even if they're perhaps not the most thrilling opposition. One of few teams who don't generally come and play for a 0-0.

Then two away trips we need to be looking at winning if we've any kind of title aspirations - be interesting to see what Charlton do about our allocation after last year. Generally a happy hunting ground for us anyway.

North London White and North London Red at OT on successive weekends is tricky.

Probably the five biggest games at OT (Liverpool, Citeh, Arsenal, Chelsea, Spurs) ALL before Christmas. God knows how this'll affect us - first thought is a negative one, as if we struggle to pick up points from them, it's only going to get harder with the reverse fixtures in the second half of the season.

How the league games fit in with CL fixtures - as we know, a home game the weekend after all six CL matches, which is a plus, I think. 5 away games and one home game on the weekends before we're in CL action.

Specifically:

Group stage, Matchday 1 (12/13.09.2006)

Before: Tottenham (h) After: Arsenal (h)

Group stage, Matchday 2 (26/27.09.2006)

Before: Reading (a) After: Newcastle (h)

Group stage, Matchday 3 (17/18.10.2006)

Before: Wigan (a) After: Liverpool (h)

Group stage, Matchday 4 (31.10/1.11.2006)

Before: Bolton (a) After: Portsmouth (h)

Group stage, Matchday 5 (21/22.11.2006)

Before: Sheff Utd (a) After: Chelsea (h)

Group stage, Matchday 6 (05/06.12.2006)

Before: Boro (a) After: Citeh (h)

Obviously Chelsea, Liverpool and Arsenal should all have CL games as well so if anything, we have a slight advantage there in that they have to travel to play us. Slight worry that there's a tricky fixture or two beforehand and I doubt it'd surprise any of us if key players were rested with Europe in mind, and that way lies dropped points.

Christmas period - Villa away, Wigan home, Reading home, Newcastle away. Really can't complain about that at all can we?

Easter - Pompey away, Sheffield United home, again could have been a lot worse.

The run-in in general doesn't look too bad, the trip to Stamford Bridge aside. If the pattern continues I think it's our turn to win at the Boo Camp this year, and West Ham at home to finish it pretty nifty.

• Replies 51.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by pjburrage:

Mascherano before Carrick </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I thought you lot already signed mascherano

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by LutonNil:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Andy Jordan:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by LutonNil:

W is 2 defenders, 3 midfield, 5 up front

M is 2-5-3

Old school </div></BLOCKQUOTE>no, just no. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

worked in 1922 icon14.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>considering it never existed, again no.

W-M is one formation like the one Nick outlined. 3-2-5

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Young Jimlad:

That line-up with Simon Davies in came from Fergie's "A Year in the Life" so I admit that I went out on a limb, but if he was young, uncapped and born in Cheshire then he probably counted as English.

Has anyone else seen that the fee for Senna will apparently be about £3.4mill? Good news if true.

Although I should add that the source was Ceefax/Teletext so cue the reality being something like £6.8mill. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If he was more than 8 and could tie his own boots he'd have been at least a welsh U-21 international.

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20:

Yeah, forgot to say - three United players in at all times, blatantly icon14.gif

I'd be tempted to say no Citeh players, but I doubt it really needs to be said... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JulesMUFC:

So i really want to come up to spurs, I think I will. YES! I can get a ticket from the exchange thingy, but it means getting the coach. I MUST sort it. Im in france for the Arsenal game, NO. /o\. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

get uo here you southern ponce

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by gonch19:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BBB:

don't you have a seaon ticket? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

is it at home? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yup

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ronaldo_1977:

its our own fault, how dare we stand up. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

sickening isn't it. Every other team's fans sit, so why do we?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Coldberg:

If I had known the ticket system this season would be such an utter shambles I would have got a season ticket & avoided all this crap.

But as it is the TO has somehow got worse than it was last season.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

WHS icon_frown.gif

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BBB:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ACou2000:

you'd hope.

but we didn't at OT :/ </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Kuszczak

Neville

Silvestre

O'Shea

Ferdinand

Brown

Fletch

Scholes

Saha

Rooney

Ronaldo

Silvestre/O'Shea against them, that's why. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

well that is a fair point.. plus I was in North that day

speaking of which I just got tickets for Portsmouth Cup in the North Stand so EVERYONE put your money on a 0-0/0-1 defeat

seriously.

• 3 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by James07?:

Neil Webb is number 1 in my all time list of most despised United players. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

He was a very good player up until his achilles injury

• 3 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Blaine:

in relation to michael shields songs, what do people think about songs like that, which are generally quite homophobic?

or am i being daft? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Singing about Jill Dando is better no?

haha, Keyser, I'd have pished myself laughing icon_biggrin.gif

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20:

this is a long story with no real point but i'll tell it anyway. the bloke behind me is pretty awesome and a bit mental - he usually throttles those of us in front of him when celebrating, but it's all good. he also kisses the bald bloke who sits to the left of me on the bonce after every goal, blanc/barthez-style. the bald bloke's daughter sits to his left. anyway, after one of the goals, probably the 4th i think, while everyone else was going mental and head-kissing was happening and stuff, there was this weird moment when the celebrations were just dying down and me and this girl just made eye contact and exchanged looks which basically said "erm, what the f**k is happening here?" and then just started laughing.

erm, you had to be there </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Get her ****ed. Unless she is under 16.

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Young Jimlad:

Christ I hope Mika or Nick have been doing the MOM thing if it still serves a valid purpose. I've just spent the last hour and a half going starting up my own tally in case its not been done (and because I'm interested in the outcome) and I've only just finished dealing with Watford!

Just skimmed through lots of moaning about transfers and the state of the squad, the Richardson vs. Giggs debate, as well as Mart hoping for a "BBB >>>>> United Thread" custom status if we signed Hargs icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

i have to admit i've not tallied them up for a while.

since, um, the liverpool home game icon_frown.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Jesus, well if you want I'll deal with it. Since I've already started I should be able to wade through the thread by the end of the season. Got about a month or so at least...

Smithy "punching" Fletch during the Carrick celebrations was a Soccer AM 3rd Eye just now.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived