The Manchester United thread 2006/2007 - featuring BBB leaving early

foobR

• Replies 51.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Red_Comet:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Rdysn5:

Wright ***** on the beeb talking about Wayne 'planting one on Cristiano's face' when he is back at Carrington. What do you guys make of that?

He also seems to have taken up a new hobby as a conspiracy theorist by saying Cristiano told his team-mates to get Wayne sent off. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

He's Ian WRRRRROOOONNNNGGGG. I hated him before when he played for Arse, and I still hate him for his nonsensical comments that he's been spouting every now and then. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

it was shearer suggesting he plant him, not wright. the wink to the bench was obviously down to something being in his eye.

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by wakeyrocket:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by RedBlood:

Stretford end on the seats </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

link doesn't work </div></BLOCKQUOTE> Go here and down a bit until you see the stand

Atmosphere is going to be so crap this season icon_biggrin.gif

Everyone has a season ticket, even those who rarely go have one. I predict lots of empty seats.

I was just thinking too. Technically you could get a season ticket this year without ever having set foot inside OT. As long as you were a one united member you could get a ST.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mika:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by alilaw:

Whether or not Evra's better than Silvestre or vice versa is almost a moot point. Fergie spent £5m on Evra 7 months ago - we know how stubborn he is, so it's hardly madness to assume Evra's ahead of Silvestre in the pecking order for the forseeable future. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't remember Evra being given too many games at the back end of last season.

I'm not criticising Evra, but just because we paid £5m for him it doesn't make him a better player than Silvestre or even man that he has better potential. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

He had some injury problems iirc (I may well be making that up though) and still played against Middelsborough, Sunderland, West Ham...

And of course I'd put O'Shea ahead of Silvestre at left back anyway.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by goon:

united grosely overpaying for a player again /o\ </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Reported Manchester United target Javier Mascherano has stated he has no desire to leave Corinthians this summer.

The Argentinian World Cup star has been linked with a move to Old Trafford as The Red Devils continue to search for midfield replacements despite the capture of Michael Carrick.

Although the 22-year-old has been heralded as a bright prospect for some time, his composed displays at the heart of Jose Pekerman's midfield in Germany saw his stock rise.

Newly-installed Serie A champions Internazionale are rumoured to have taken a strong interest in the former River Plate star, and United are clearly in the market for a physical holding midfielder having first cast a glance at Milan's Gennaro Gattuso and Juventus' Patrick Vieira before taking a close interest in Spain international Marcos Senna.

However, Mascherano has now moved to dampen speculation about his future, stating he will not be leaving his Brazilian employers during the transfer window.

"After the World Cup I returned to Corinthians and the only thing that I have in mind is to play for this team," said Mascherano.

"I am not thinking of leaving Corinthians and in addition I don't have any proposal for leaving.

"I don't think it would be correct to leave Corinthians at the moment."

Although Mascherano admits he would not rule out a move to Europe in the future, the Argentine is determined to help pull Corinthians out of the current crisis that has left them bottom of the league.

"If Corinthians receive in the future a good proposal and it's also interesting for me then I could maybe think of the chance to leave Corinthians but I want to make clear that that would be something in the future," Mascherano added.

"I am not thinking of any transfer now and I even wouldn't accept any transfer at this moment because Corinthians is in a difficult situation and we all need to help to get the team out of this." </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">A year to the day since Roy Keane went on MUTV to "nail certain players", Manchester United arrived in Denmark as the Premiership's top side and on the point of qualification to the Champions League knockout phase, yet still Sir Alex Ferguson is not satisfied. The club have come a long way since Keane's tirade, but Ferguson still craves a midfielder to replace his former captain, and he confirmed for the first time that he planned to resurrect a deal for Owen Hargreaves.

Ferguson had to choose his words carefully given Bayern Munich's threats to report him for making clandestine approaches, but the manager must be confident of finally getting his man considering that his normal modus operandi is to deflect any questions about potential transfer business.

"We are interested," he declared, in what may have been a deliberate attempt to lift Hargreaves's spirits as he recovers from a broken leg. United are aware that the England international has pinned his hopes on a move during the January transfer window and Ferguson made it clear the club would try to succeed where they failed in August. Pressed further, he said: "I can't give you anything more in terms of an update because we haven't spoken to Bayern."

The obvious question would then be how Ferguson, if successful, plans to fit three into two in the centre of midfield. Paul Scholes, arguably, is playing as well as at any stage of his career, an amazing feat given that Ferguson revealed that the player, who will be 32 this month, still had "slight haziness" affecting his vision after 10 months of eye problems. Carrick, the £18m acquisition now wearing Keane's No16 shirt, had an ordinary start after joining from Tottenham, but his form has improved and there were words of encouragement from his manager.

"He's a fantastic passer of the ball and he will excel for this club, particularly in Europe when it's so vital to keep the ball," said Ferguson. "His performances have been good but Scholes has been absolutely superb and, because of that, Carrick has had a cameo role. All the focus has been on Scholes and maybe that's been good for Carrick. It's enabled him to settle at the club, take his time and he's producing some good football for us now."

Carrick is seen by Ferguson as the long-term replacement for Scholes, with Hargreaves playing a more defensive role. At present, however, Scholes looks as though he could play for another five years and United's prime deal-maker, the chief executive David Gill, will not need to point out to Ferguson that Bayern may provide challenging opposition when it comes to thrashing out Hargreaves's future.

Far less complicated, on the list of Gill's jobs for the new year, will be tieing Ryan Giggs to a new contract. United are to offer their longest-serving player a one- or two-year extension in January when, theoretically, he would be free to speak to other clubs. Giggs, who will be 33 this month, has been outstanding so far this season and has already indicated he wants to stay at Old Trafford for the remainder of his career. Of more immediate concern was that the Wales captain was not on the flight for United's second match against FC Copenhagen in a fortnight.

Ferguson reported that Giggs's hamstring problems had flared up again, and Gary Neville, with a recurrent calf injury, and Louis Saha, with a sore knee, were also notable absentees for a match that should, in theory, confirm United's passage to the knockout stages. The 1999 winners have won their opening three group games, though Ferguson recoiled when it was put to him that the recovery process was almost complete. "There's been no real recovery as yet," he said. "We've played only three bloody games. No, the real test will come when we get to the knockout stage."

He took the point, though, that United were in the process of proving many of their doubters wrong, chief among them Keane. "The way Chelsea have been in the last couple of years, everyone was written off, not just us. The critics forecast Chelsea would run away with the title and, given the last two seasons, that's not a surprise. This is the first time they have had a challenge. It's early days yet but we're doing OK in Europe and if we're still up there [in the Premiership] come April we'll have one hell of a chance."

"I am quite positive about it. There's a good spirit among the players and the most encouraging thing for me is that everyone in the squad is doing well. They are playing with great imagination."

Neville's absence tonight will mean a return to the team for Wes Brown, whereas Gabriel Heinze replaces Patrice Evra at left-back in this Group F match. Despite his lofty praise for his two midfielders, Ferguson may also rest Scholes or Carrick to give John O'Shea a run out at the Parken Stadium, where the pitch, cut up after a Bruce Springsteen concert at the weekend, may be United's biggest enemy.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

For the bold part, month to month contract please. Just in case it's not coincidence that his last good run of form was the 2-3 months leading up to a contract renewal.

Reserves are in action tonight, playing Sheffield United away at Chesterfield's Saltergate stadium. 0-0 atm, team is:

Kuszczak

Gray

Shawcross

Cathcart

Lea

Lee

D Jones

Rose

Barnes

Smith

Burns

Very experienced Sheffield United team, the likes of Short, Shipperley, Sommeil, Geary, Ifil and Nade feature for them. Pretty even thus far, TK's made one fantastic save and they've had a goal ruled out for offside.

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bagpuss:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Coldberg:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BBB:

THe chelsea ticket is sold to one of the guys that has sorted me/you/Jules out before. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

So who is sorting me for Chelsea this season then? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Could always do it yourself icon_razz.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If I had known the ticket system this season would be such an utter shambles I would have got a season ticket & avoided all this crap.

But as it is the TO has somehow got worse than it was last season.

Martin why do you no longer have access to away tickets? If that is the case why have you sold Keith's ticket for Chelsea to return a favour?

• 3 weeks later...
  • Administrators

yeah I noticed that Evra bit icon_biggrin.gif

Smith is a Chelsea ST holder, just happens to also write for The Times and as a regular weekly contributor to the site is naturally obliged to be pro-Chelsea. It's usually very much tongue in cheek, so take it as that really.

Mart itching to bite.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BBB:

t's just a shame that a hell of a lot of the fanbase doesn't gaf about the Glazers and are blinded that the fact we are top of the league. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Something from the Liverpool when discussing their impending takeover. The opposite is also true though, a minority of the fanbase will not listen to anything on the other side of the 'divide', blinded by their pure hatred of the Glazer's and what they have done.

Official site so dreadful:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Ronaldo: I can handle the pressure

Cristiano Ronaldo was sent off against Benfica when United went out of the Champions League last season, but a more mature and confident player will walk out at Old Trafford on Wednesday night.

The 21-year-old Reds winger has proven himself to be unfazed by the criticism following the fall-out of England’s World Cup exit at the hands of Portugal.

And under the media glare at the pre-match press conference on Tuesday, Ronaldo confidently fielded questions about everything form his red card last season against Benfica to allegations from Gareth Southgate over the weekend that he dived to win a penalty during the 2-1 win at the Riverside Stadium.

By now he’s used to the attention. And as he proved in United’s 1-0 win at Estadio da Luz earlier this season, he will not let the occasion on Wednesday affect him.

“The game [where I was red carded] is in the past now,†he said. “There is always pressure. But I’m playing well and the team is playing well, so that is all that matters. On Wednesday night it is a match to see which team goes through, I just want to be part of that.â€

Asked whether he is bothered by the criticism he so regularly receives, Ronaldo’s answer was a plain and simple “noâ€.

“People criticise me for anything and everything I do,†he added. “They love to do it. But, since the World Cup, I have concentrated on my football, which is what I love to do. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

He was actually subbed, but well played icon14.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by hairwad:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mark g:

That completely ignores the fact that while in theory anything can happen, and on occasion the better team loses, in general a team that a) gets their tactics right and b) plays better than the opposition does win. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hallelujah!

So who won tonight? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You're aware we fulfilled mark's criteria for 60 minutes of the game, and the part nick/acou/myself etc. are on about is the first half an hour where we played 4-5-1 and went a goal down?

if fergie decided that tactics didn't win games and we kept at it because we *might* have got back into it then do you really think we'd be sitting here discussing a 3-1 win?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Weststandred:

7 and btw Coldberg I did actually go, I can understand it if you don't believe me though. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Are you the little kid covered in facepaint that appears on the TV cutaway, just before the second goal then?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Saha:

Oh, I forgot about the Carrick/O'Shea sub. Was basically thinking 'bloody hell, that's probably the most useless tactical decision in the history of the game and for some reason we continue to... ole! well, that's swell.' </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Exactly icon_biggrin.gif

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mark g:

Henrik for me, as Saha can be eased back in from the bench, no need to throw him straight back in. But it's one of those nice ones where i don't feel there's a wrong decision, i'd be happy to see either. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

icon14.gif

• 3 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ACou2000:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by red&white army:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Gazz22:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by red&white army:

Ole wasn't great, but the service to him was poor. he needs the ball putting into the box, but unforntuately Ronaldo had one of those days where he seemed incapable of delivering any quality. at least Ole had the vision to pick out teammates in a better position than him, unlike Saha, who always runs with his head down. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It wasn't just about service. There were times when Ole had the ball just outside the box and needed just to skip by a defender but he couldn't do it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Eric Cantona

Teddy Sheringham

Alan Shearer (as much as I can't stand him)

Gianfranco Zola

Dennis Bergkamp

Henrik Larsson

proof that pace isn't everything for a striker. its the brain - the ability to get into the right position and to put the ball in the net.

pace is an asset, but not at all necessary to be a goalscorer.

Its a bit unfair to criticise Ole, he doesn't get enough games now since Larsson arrived, and he has scored plenty of goals this season. eh will score more before the end of the season too if he gets the games. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's not really to do with pace though. It's the fact he doesnt have the legs for the ALROUND game. Getting into position.. holding onto the ball... being able to physically compete etc.

I <3 him as much as the next United supporter but he was never in the style of a Sheringham/Bergkamp. His game was more about making the runs... which I'm not sure he can do well enough now. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I still think he's short of games. both he and Saha are and it showed yesterday. I believe Ole can still have an important role to play this season, though I admit its likely to be as a sub.

about Saha, he needs to get back into form because at the moment Larsson and Rooney look to be the best combination (on form) and I'd expect them to start against Lille.

Lets just hope Fergie goes 4-4-2, and abandons the idea of playing Rooney on the wing in Europe. he hinted after Benfica that he thought we didn't have the players to play a patient game. we should just go and attack, like in 1999. 4-5-1 doesn't suit us.

Seems to me that Fergie thinks that playing 5 midfielders with the best player out of position makes us more 'tactically aware' icon_rolleyes.gif

• 2 weeks later...

GET THE **** IN!!!!!

Rio was absolutley sensational today along with Edwin (schmecial-esq save from crouches shot) and I thought Scholes was superb before his sending off (if he was going to get sent off for that he should have least made contact!), and what better than seeing that? Seeing Phil Thompson's big nosed face looking sick as **** on soccer saturday icon_biggrin.gif!

MoM: Rio

2nd: VDS

forever taking him out of the doghouse: John O'shea

GET THE **** IN!!!!!

Game's up Mika

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

Originally posted by Mika:

I seriously hope keiran richardson has a nuclear bomb dropped on him, and that he breaks his face, and that the leftovers are fed to his children in the form of a chilli.

and I'm NOT joking either.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Our players change positions so much during a match it's actually pretty funny. icon_biggrin.gif

Ronaldo broke from the back a few times and wandered about in the middle, left and right. Giggs picked the ball up from our back four a few times ffs. Rooney moved into the centre too when he wanted. And Smith was pulling out to the wings, dropping deep and linking play. Totally random.

Pretty exciting watching it because you never know what's going to happen next. icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Gazz22:

Our squad just isn't good enough. We all knew we'd be screwed with a few injuries and now we've got them.

It didn't help that a lot of the players were thinking of Milan though. As was Fergie considering Richardson started and Giggs was on the bench. Surely the Portsmouth game tought us that Giggs will not save the day when dragged off the bench. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

To be fair the entire back four out is hardly 'a few injuries' - although our first teamers have still missed vastly more games this season than yours through injury - just unlucky for you that it has came at this end of the season.

ALl of our remaining fixtures are very much possibilities of dropping points to you guys are still favourites - and would rather the Champs' League than the Premiership anytime.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Juni:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by pjburrage:

A huge IF, but IF we have the money, I would love for us to sign Kaka' he is the perfect replacement for Scholes. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

missed this earlier, you gonna have £50m+ to spend? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

icon_biggrin.gif

"Pretty please?"

"No."

"With Sprinkles?"

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by 14AlanSmithifb:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20:

tier 3 is an absolute c**t. 20+ times a season? never again ta

Si, you keeping your ST next season? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

yeah and keiths having t'other one icon14.gif. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

our Keith? does he need two seats now? icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, something about selling it on a game per game basis or something (Mart sorted it out), we kind of sorted it out on cup final day on the way back but you were probably far to depressed to care (or at least looked it) icon_biggrin.gif.

Archived