The Manchester United thread 2006/2007 - featuring BBB leaving early

foobR

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 51.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JulesMUFC:

Good game, impressed with Ronaldos finishing and his all round game tbh. D Jones, Dazzle, Bardsley and Ole were immaculate. Yus. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I suppose Richardson's performance was too good for words?

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by theis:

oh ffs I thought it was just scouse fans on this board who have a ******** opinion of Sissoko </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

huh

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">The 22 year old is thought to have a clause in his contract, which states that he can leave the club should any of the teams that have finished in the top three of the Premiership in the previous season make a substantial bid for him. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That rules Arsenal out then icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by No Longer Bling:

agreed but surely not end of the world stuff? scholes and carrick not quite oshea and fletcher etc. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

as soon as we get an injury its exactly that though

Aurelio looks good with the ball, not so clever without it. He needs to sort his concentration levels out first and get the defensive side of his game up to scratch before he can be called a quality left back.

If we are comparing the two teams left backs though I would say Heinze is better than anything we have defensively, but Riise is the best attacking left back of the lot.

If you are at the ticket office 45 minutes before kickoff I guarantee you will get in on time.

North stand entrances are the closest ones to the TO. If yo uare picking up tickets it's usually done in 4 queues or so A-H I-P etc etc.

Shouldn't be too long of a wait.

I never normally queue for more than 10-15 minutes when I have had to pick tickets up.

• 2 weeks later...

The United Thread StatFest 2006/2007: Top Of The Stats League

Appearances:

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">

EPL ECL FAC CC Total

1. Edwin VAN DER SAR 6 2 8

2. Gary NEVILLE 5 2 7

3. Patrice EVRA 3/2 3/2

4. Gabriel HEINZE 2 1 3

5. Rio FERDINAND 7 2 9

6. Wes BROWN 5 1 6

7. Cristiano RONALDO 7 1 8

8. Wayne ROONEY 4 2 6

9. Louis SAHA 5/1 2 7/1

11. Ryan GIGGS 4 1 5

13. PARK Ji-Sung 1/3 1/3

14. Alan SMITH 0/1 0/1

15. Nemanja VIDIC 2 1 3

16. Michael CARRICK 4/1 2 6/1

18. Paul SCHOLES 4 2 6

20. Ole Gunnar SOLSKJAER 2/4 0/1 2/5

22. John O'SHEA 5/1 1/1 6/2

23. Kieran RICHARDSON 2/1 0/1 2/2

24. Darren FLETCHER 5/1 1/1 6/2

25. David JONES

27. Mikael SILVESTRE 3/2 1 4/2

29. Tomasz KUSZCZAK 1 1

</pre>

Goalscorers:

EPL ECL FAC CC Total

9. Louis SAHA 2 3 5

20. Ole Gunnar SOLSKJAER 3 1 4

7. Cristiano RONALDO 2 2

8. Wayne ROONEY 2 2

11. Ryan GIGGS 2 2

24. Darren FLETCHER 1 1

27. Mikael SILVESTRE 1 1

Own Goals 1 1

Totals 14 4 18

</pre>

Penalties:

9. Louis SAHA 1/1

</pre>

Assists:

9. Louis SAHA 4

6. Wes BROWN 2

11. Ryan GIGGS 2

7. Cristiano RONALDO 2

8. Wayne ROONEY 1

13. PARK Ji-Sung 1

18. Paul SCHOLES 1

15. Nemanja VIDIC 1

</pre>

At Fault For Goal:

27. Mikael SILVESTRE 1

2. Gary NEVILLE 1

6. Rio FERDINAND 1

7. Cristiano RONALDO 1

</pre>

Clean Sheets:

Charlton away (EPL)

Tottenham home (EPL)

Benfica away (CL)

Newcastle home (EPL)

</pre>

Yellow Cards:

EPL ECL FAC CC Total

18. Paul SCHOLES 2 1 3

6. Wes BROWN 2 2

3. Patrice EVRA 1 1

4. Gabriel HEINZE 1 1

11. Ryan GIGGS 1 1

16. Michael CARRICK 1 1

23. Kieran RICHARDSON 1 1

27. Mikael SILVESTRE 1 1

</pre>

Average Goals Per Game: 2.66 (24 in 9)

Average Goals Scored Per Game: 2 (18 in 9)

Average Goals Conceded Per Game: 0.66 (6 in 9)

Games Won When Scoring First Goal: 6/6 (100%)

Games Drawn When Scoring First Goal: 0/0

Games Lost When Scoring First Goal: 0/0

Games Won When Conceding First Goal: 1/3 (33.33%)

Games Drawn When Conceding First Goal: 1/3 (33.33%)

Games Lost When Conceding First Goal: 1/3 (33.33%)

Games Won When Leading At Half-Time: 3/3 (100%)

Games Drawn When Leading At Half-Time: 0/0

Games Lost When Leading At Half-Time: 0/0

Games Won When Drawing At Half-Time: 4/6 (66.66%)

Games Drawn When Drawing At Half-Time: 1/6 (16.66%)

Games Lost When Drawing At Half-Time: 1/6 (16.66%)

Games Won When Losing At Half-Time: 0/0

Games Drawn When Losing At Half-Time: 0/0

Games Lost When Losing At Half-Time: 0/0

Attendances:

Highest - 75,664, vs Newcastle (Premiership, 1/10/06)

Lowest - 74,031, vs Celtic (Champions League, 13/9/06)

Total - 375,858 (5 games)

Average - 75,172

Mart Leaving Early:

Sevilla home

</pre>

--------------------------------------------------------------

Assists and at-fault-for's up for debate ofc. Suggestions for further stats welcome.

• 3 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mark g:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">We'd still be paying too much for a guy I don't really think I'd put ahead of any of our 6 first choice midfielders really in relation to what they offer the team as a whole (Ronaldo, Scholes, Carrick, Giggs, Fletcher, Park).....

Also he's not going to improve the pacey counter-attacking verve we've developed recently and therefore he's going to be on the bench </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

They're the only bits i'd take slight issue with. If you take them both as central midfielders, Carrick is the poor mans Beckham. If he was already in the squad, i'd be be playing him ahead of both Carrick or Fletcher in the middle. And given that his long passing is so good (something that often seems to be forgotten as people concentrate on his crossing) he'd actually suit our counter attacking game down to the ground.

But obviously that's all academic, as i agree with your main arguments, and that we shouldn't sign him. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well if your talking about putting him in the middle with Scholes on the basis of all-round talent as opposed to my putting him on the right & shifting Ronny and Giggsy about as I was then thats fair, and I agree about the benefits of his long-range passing as well.

However, both Carrick and Fletcher are more disciplined defensively and thats important given that everything has been going through Scholes for us this season in a real playmaking sense other than he's one of the guy's that prompts us kind of way. The fact that Beckham is more predisposed to want to roam and try to impose himself on the game (something I've never really felt he was able to accomplish in the middle tbh) means that if they were paired together I don't think it would work as well.

Then there is the age issue and if we're commiting funds to purchasing players I'd rather it was spent on players with a medium to long term shelf life.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Juni:

Drogba hate is wrong, and actually an arrestable offence.

Dunno what to expect from the United game, you could play like you did yesterday, or you could play like you did against Arsenal (ie lose). We've got three London derbies before then and a trip to Barcelona, I'll think about it more when it actually matters. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The arsenal game shows exactly why we should play the team from saturday. Although some of the selection was forced upon us with Giggs' injury, we played Fletcher on the right, O'Shea in the middle instead of Carrick, and most importantly of all played with a tentative and negative attitude.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by alilaw:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Juni:

Bellion is quite good though </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

He just needs a bit of time imo. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

new lenny henry imo </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

icon_biggrin.gif

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mika:

Reminds me of Ruud in 2003/2004 against Liverpool, being tugged all over the place, but stayed up and didn't get a pen. Would have been a certain pen had he gone to ground. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oh yeah that was Hypia pulling Ruud back so hard that he almost ripped his shirt and yet no pen was given.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by alilaw:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">And for forgetting to mention that O'Shea's 7 or 8 minutes on the pitch were arguably the WORSE SUBSTITUTE PERFORMANCE I HAVE EVER EVER SEEN IN THE HISTORY OF FOOTBALL EVER. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nah, Liam Miller was given that title and allowed to keep the trophy after his 'cameo' in the home game against Spurs a couple of seasons back (the infamous Carroll/Mendes one) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Mate O'Shea could start a new awards ceremony of his own after that.

We're talking what, 6 touches of the ball in total. 4 of them gave it away, one was a slightly mistimed tackle that he got lucky off when getting it back. I literally counted one complete pass. It was utterly utterly abysmal. For once I don't think it's hyperbole to say I could have done better. I actually think I could.

And I loved John, remember icon_frown.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

As someone on RI put it:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">1st touch - gave ball away

2nd touch - gave ball away

3rd touch - let ball run under boot trying to intercept pea-roller pass, hence losing possession

4th touch - tried lofted ball over full back, kicked ball into touch, lost posession. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

\O/

amuses me that he was on the bench essentially to cover all defensive positions and allow us some more attacking options, and then he comes on... in midfield

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Scatter:

gerrard's been pretty rubbish most of the times i've seen him this season. i don't think even he'd get a run on current form. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

He was woeful for the first 3 months, as bad as he's ever been in the last 5 years. But since around November his form has picked up again and isn't far from being at his best. Keep it quiet, but that's when he was moved to central midfield.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Pickles:

For tomorrow night

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Man Utd (from): Van der Sar, Kuszczak, Fletcher, Heinze, Evra, Brown. O'Shea, Ronaldo, Giggs, Scholes, Smith, Carrick, Rooney, Solskjaer, Dong, Eagles. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hmm </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Only 4 recognised defenders then? Is Cathcart eligible to play in the Champions League?

If Park is indeed going to see Steadman, that's never a good thing and usually means many months out. If true, Hargreaves has to go further down the list of summer priorities imo, as we already need a striker foremost and a new winger (which we needed anyway) potentially becomes more important.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Rcjuk:

tell

I'll give you a kiss. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

james will get jealous. but ok.

it's by some bloke called Brush Shiels who was in a band called Skid Row. never heard of him, but there you go.

trying to find an mp3 of it atm, no luck, can download it as a realplayer file from his website though.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Terry Cheung:

I love Alan Smith. I also don't really believe he will leave unless he's in the first team.

He's a much better player than some people think. He doesn't have any stand out attributes apart from his aggression, but he has decent all-round skills. He'll never win you a champions league but he's a striker who is good enough against 80% of the teams United face in a season, and that's what you need from a back-up player.

We're never going to have 4 world class strikers battling for 2 positions. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Terry \o/ Where have you been mate?

As for Smith, while i agree with what you said, can we afford to hang on to a saleable backup when we haven't got an effective first choice striker?

Archived