The Manchester United thread 2006/2007 - featuring BBB leaving early

foobR

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by snipersdream:

Rio had better be tapping up Aaron Lennon as we speak (no one knows the tapping up game better than our Ashton Kutcher). </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I expect Neville, Rooney and Rio (and possibly Carrick) should be tapping Lennon up as we type. Threaten to stop him from playing on the Playstation if he doesn't sign for United should work.

• Replies 51.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Gazz22:

Hopefully Rossi will get a goal today to settle him down. He deserves one on this tour. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Deserves his goal but there is so much more to his game. Whether he scores or not he has done very well on the tour so far.

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone go word of the full breakdown yet for the Carrick deal?

I was under the impression it was £14m + £4.5m but today I'm hearing that we're closer to £16m + £2.5m.

@Taz:

Yes its more money than he's worth for the perceived standard of player that he is but barring any medical hitches or the bank's putting a stop payment on our cheque he's going to sign on as our player.

Fergie wanted him and despite Spurs playing hardball in negotiations (which they are entitled to do with him being their chief playmaker) we've persisted because he thinks he'll add something postitive to the team so lets reserve judgement and let him show us what he can bring to the table.

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by James07?:

are manchester united 'we' or are cardiff 'we'?

It can't be both can it? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It can, and it is.

I've given my reasons in the past. I'm not going to go into it again just to please you for having a bee in your bonnet for whatever reason that you have today.

This will probably come out quite long on the page even though its only 7 paragraphs so, y'know, skip it or type tl;dr if you want.

Here's the jist: We are all guilty at times of being overly critical with regards to certain players. I'm saying that really the reality of the situation is that we could be in a much worse situation with regards to the way our squad currently looks. Its not that we don't have a right to be concerned or demand better, but we're kidding ourselves to some extent if we think the grass is markedly greener with regards to the standard of players at other clubs. I'm not talking elite players of which there are very few, but overall top-flight standard players in comparison to those who regualarly come up for criticism from certain corners. Y'all know who they are.

- - - - - - - - - -

Does nobody else recognise the upside to the fact that even with what most people would consider to be, on-paper at least, our weakest squad for sometime, damn near every one of the established 'pet-hate'/expendable players in the ranks of our first team squad would find a place with everyone outside of last years top five Premiership sides? (Yes, even Liam Miller - obviously I'm thinking more down to the likes of Fulham, Watford et al. but still, Premiership).

I don't think that it's in any way a stretch of the imagination that those players are on the whole more than capable of holding down a regular first-team spot at those clubs. Obviously as a rebuttal one could say "well who has flourished after leaving OT" after being deemed expendable? So as a qualification I should note that I'm basing this argument on the basis of 'on-paper' ability. Attitude and adaptability to deal with leaving Manchester United and going to a 'lesser' club are entirely individual and pretty much impossible to assess accurately.

Another reason why we shouldn't really be so keen to decry the squad as a whole is that really, and again I'm taking an 'on-paper' assessment is that when it comes down to it our squad doesn't really have any more deficiencies than our main domestic rivals.

Please note that I'm not saying that our squad is perfect, I'll freely admit that our squad and 1st XI isn't really equipped to be dually successful domestically and especially on the continent, but this isn't FM where we can easily construct a 25 man squad with two first XIs that can manage such a task (as well as having a glittering array of future superstars happily populating our youth teams).

Even Chelsea, for all their money and strength in depth prior to the thinning down of numbers that has recently taken place, have show that no-one can easily construct & manage an ideal squad.

All I'm saying is that while pursuit of the ideal isn't something to be abandoned, and although we have the right to expect high standards from all the players representing our club, lets not just criticize for criticism's sake. I know we've all been guilty over the summer months of, at some time, being ****ed off with our squad and the way it was/wasn't shaping up, but I think that we should realise that while there are question marks over Richardson/O'Shea/Fletcher/Silvestre/Evra et al. as long term members of the first team squad, the reality is that we could be in a much worse position as far as the balance and make-up of the first team squad goes.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Rcjuk:

I shall be drinking nothing, therefore buying nothing. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

your age aint stopped you before tbf

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by pjburrage:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by James M:

Nick and Mart arrive online at the same time.

How cute </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Though Mart stays for all of 5 seconds </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Gone off to top himself.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mika:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> including a contractual obligation to play them in every match, and a contractual obligation to let them be sold for profits - for MSI to pocket </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah sod that icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You can see glazer thinking lets do that for our listed players icon_frown.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Champmanlover:

Why wasn't Ronaldo playing last night? I didn't hear about an injury or suspension, was he just rested? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Suspended for his two fingered salute to BEnfica fans last season.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mika:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Terry Cheung:

but Mika, the question is would you swap him for Saha? I don't think any of us would question wanting a fit Ruud in the squad. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think it's a stupid question anyway as I never wanted one or the other, I wanted both. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Awww, Mika won't play icon_frown.gif

OK, he never left, and he's been injured but he's now match fit after banging in 8 in a reserve game. Who plays against Portsmouth? And probably more importantly, the Chelsea game?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by gonch19:

giggsy such an utter legend, one of the people you'll look back at and be genuienly proud to have watched week in week out icon14.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yep, so underrated too, easily in my top 5 all time players. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

wts :*)

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ACou2000:

Yeah strangely that somewhat reassured me :/

although we shouldnt have been in that position to start with so yea </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I know exactly what you mean, sometimes you wonder if he sees the problems we all know are glaringly obvious and when he says things like that to suggest that he does, then it's a relief somehow icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Rcjuk:

14 points goon, pires and co

Go concentrate on colosing the gap yeh? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

icon_frown.gif

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by James07?:

so how does a £50m profit tie in with an annual interest charge of £62m. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The £50m profit is after the loan charge.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Razor Eddie:

Tickets all sold out for the remainder of the season, from Bedford branch that is. icon_frown.gif

I may need help getting ticketage for the last few games, folks.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Already? icon_biggrin.gif

Ours only do them for games that are four weeks away so the likes of Boro/West Ham aren't even mentioned yet.

• 2 weeks later...

I'd shoot the ****er in the leg and watch him bleed to death. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If your shooting's anything like it was at the 5-a-side, i'll not lose any sleep just yet. icon_razz.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Young Jimlad:

Back to Europe for a moment since I have a question or two:

First, did any of the bookings that we received last night result in a suspension for the first CL game against Milan? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

nope. Paddy, Gaby, Scholesy and Ronnie are still one away

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Second, has it been cleared up as to whether Scholesy will return with one booking still to his name after being sent off in the 1st leg of the quarter-final against Rome? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

think it's been confirmed that he will. nightmare icon_frown.gif

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Young Jimlad:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ACou2000:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BBB:

get rid of the cantishness and yeah, he's quality </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

yeah but you cant, so its moo </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

icon_biggrin.gif

Sorry, cows = funny for me. Up there in the top 3 of comedy animals along with the pretty much ever-present monkey family and oft overlooked kangaroo... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Are you drunk/high?

Oh, and the NOTW have done their season ratings...and as usual they take some believing.

Ronaldo

Rooney

Giggs

Ferdinand

Scholes

Neville

Van Der Saar

Evra

Vidic

Smith

Park

Solskjaer

O'Shea

Carrick

Fletcher

Brown

Richardson

Saha

Heinze

Silvestre </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Rooney a 10. To suggest he has been on a par with Ronaldo is an all out joke, to suggest he has been better than most of the squad as well. icon_biggrin.gif

Richardson a 7, why cant people who have seen us play do the ratings?

Saha a 6 despite being fantastic in the first half of the season before all his injuries. He netted 13 times with some good and important goals.

And to say Vida and Evra no better than the majority.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived