The Manchester United thread 2006/2007 - featuring BBB leaving early

foobR

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 51.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Keyser:

you just know that there will be signings anyway and all you positive dudes will feel bad when they happen.

it's still uber amusing to see though icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No, there won't.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> MARTIN LAMENTS KEANE EXIT

Posted 12/08/06 13:03

New Rangers recruit Lee Martin is disappointed he will never have the chance to lock horns with Roy Keane.

The 19-year-old Manchester United midfielder has joined the Ibrox club on loan until December. And he is well aware that his timing is poor.

He says Keane has been a huge influence on and off the park during his time at Old Trafford.

But the former Manchester United and Republic of Ireland skipper was forced to retire from football in the summer after just a few months at Celtic and Martin knows he has narrowly missed out on his dream of playing against his hero.

"Roy Keane was certainly a great role model on and off the field," he said.

"I learned a lot from him because he spent his last couple of months training with the reserves.

"I worked with him a few times and he was an unbelievable player. He always seemed to have so much time on the ball it was unreal.

"I would actually have loved to have played against Keane because I have so much praise for him.

"He is an unbelievable person the way he gets on with things.

"So I'm a bit gutted he's not still with Celtic because it would have been great to play against him."

Rangers manager Paul Le Guen has been so impressed by Martin that he has already revealed his hopes of extending the loan deal until the end of the season.

But the youngster - who could make his debut against Dunfermline on Sunday - says his long term future remains at Manchester United.

"I did pre-season and the gaffer decided I'd be better of going somewhere for another year," he said.

"That's fine by me to be honest.

"I still see my future at Man United. I've recently signed a new contract and don't see myself going anywhere else."

Martin took part in his first training session on Friday morning and he is now desperate for the opportunity to play alongside his new team-mates - especially Dado Prso.

"They made me feel welcome and they are great players as well," he said.

"It's not as though I'm taking a step down - they are just as good as where I am now.

"There are a few I'm looking forward to playing with but the one that comes to mind is Prso.

"I've seen him playing in numerous competitions and he's a big name in football so I'm looking forward to linking up with him." </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

In Nicholas icon14.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Saha:

I've completely overhauled my team. It's now...

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">

van der Sar

Konchesky Dawson Neill

Ronaldo Cahill Lampard Nolan

Rooney Berbatov Borgetti

</pre> </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Rooney, Ronaldo and van der Sar ftw \o/

• 3 weeks later...

The Hargreaves non bid i'm not 100% sure on. Gill said we never got in a position to find out what Bayern would accept for him. I have taken that as saying we didn't formally bid for him, though it could be they bid £10m-£15m but was rejected and they didn't go any higher.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Dear friends, compadres and fellow reds of the Manchester United thread,

As you’ve probably noticed, we’re about to embark on another BOTU. Already the moans and groans about the unstoppable MUFC block vote ruining everyone’s fun are in abundance. So, to avoid any confusion I thought I’d better announce our official policy for this competition.

As Nick, foobs (RIP) and James07? have already won the prize, Mark G hasn’t entered, Keyser is too much of a loose cannon and the rest of you are too anonymous, annoying or Australian to win, even with the backing of the MUFCTBV, it is my great pleasure to announce that our mighty resources will be rolled out in support of BBB

I’ve no doubt that you’ll all put personal ambition to one side and rally round to support Martin.

Just so the rest of ‘em don’t catch on – remember not to mention this in any other threads or your BOTU reasons!!!!!

Don’t let the thread down!

Yours faithfully

The MUFCTBV team

• 1 month later...
  • Administrators

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Suggestions for further stats welcome. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

total cans consumed at the wall per person throughout the season, with a grand total at the end?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JulesMUFC:

o/ for the text from mart, i was too busy trying to prevent myself throwing up/sleeping off this damn hung over to reply. hope u had a nice x mas too dude xxxx

are we on tv tomorrow </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

know how you feel dude :*(

and i don't think we are, naw

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I've got the Cantona dollar one, the one that just says 'Stretford End' on it and a Numquam Moribimur wallet which is utterly fb.

I also want to have my own design on one but never got round to it. Basically a lot like the treble one with the outline of the cups, but have a question mark at the end of them and then just 'HAVE YOU ****' at the bottom.

If you get what I mean.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20:

i'd have happily welcomed Del Piero if we hadn't got Henke, in a similar role. brilliant player, although more 'past it' than Henke I guess. would have loved to have seen him at OT in his prime. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'd argue that he never reached his prime. No doubt he was brilliant in his youth and up until his mid-20s but that first knee injury in 98/99 has stalled him ever since. Its not like he's not had his good moments, purple patches & successes since - he is a World Cup winner after all - but as far as his personal impact on the game has gone it could have been much, much bigger.

Anyway, like you say, Henke, despite being a couple of years older, is clearly less past-it, and its not just his physical condition thats helped him maintain a higher level, but his mental strength as well in my eyes. I know arguments can be made for him spending much of his career in less taxing leagues, but for me the last point is proved by his comeback from a knee injury to play a big part in Barca's success last year.

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mark g:

Magath has left Bayern. DOn't know if he was sacked or what. I'm assuming that'll have no bearing on a potential last minute Hargreaves deal, however. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Well Hitzfeld, who is known to be a good friend with Fergie, is the new manager so a last minute bid would do no harm

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ACou2000:

slipping some Park hate in there icon_mad.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Is that not a fair assessment, given that the majority of chances fell to him yesterday, and i don't think there was one that even troubled the keeper?

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mika:

And I'm still entitled to defend Ruud against all detractors icon_cool.gif

(got bored with the caps thing, got to nip these things in the bud) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

FOR GOD SAKE THERE ARE NO DETRACTORS.

unless you count not mentioning him every blessed day as being a detractor ofc

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BBB:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Cristiano Ronaldooooooooo:

What are the chances of getting an away ticket for semi??

Really wanna go but not been to many games on membership this year icon13.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Good to see you back mate icon_smile.gif

book with the club and you'll get a ticket </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

you mean on the dreambreak stuff?

i'm back for good now OTF is back on my favourites bar lol icon_biggrin.gif

• 2 weeks later...

So are there any UEFA regulations against us just nailing Scholesy's left peg to the halfway line? That way he can still spray passes all over the shop without going all kamikaze. Could even still do that funny yet effective little run-around-in-a-circle-til-the-marker-gets-dizzy thing he does from time to time to make time and space for a pass.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by theis:

This season so awesome icon_cool.gif

From the first day of the season onwards just so good. Has there been a time when we haven't topped the table?

Scholes volley, Ronaldo all season, Giggs intermitently, Rio and Vidic, beating the scouse twice, beating city twice, Saha before going AWOL, Larsson, O'Shea etc etc.

:*****************************************) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

A short time in September it seems.

I love how Taz seems to get more enjoyment out of ranting at the BBC and the rest of the media than he gets out of us actually winning the title.

I couldn't care less about it tbh. Firstly almost all reports I have read have said something along the lines of "But this wasn't a title that Chelsea lost, it was one which a brilliant Man Utd won" or "playing football how it is supposed to be played this must go down as one of Ferguson's best title wins", The Times even had the front page of the Game proclaiming Ferguson to be 'the Special One'.

Secondly you point at someone like Hansen. We have to remember that for him to give us any credit is similar to him heaping praise upon Man Utd.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">originally posted by mark g:

I'll be surprised if Ball gets anything other than the standard 3 game ban. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">originally posted by No Longer Bling :

bg style 'we will see, mark !' </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Could have gone for "time will tell" if you'd preferred, Blingster.

• 2 weeks later...

still gutted. third cup final i've been to, we've only lost three out of ten in my lifetime and i've been to all f**king three, give me a break ffs.

thought the defence did really well yesterday, can't fault any of them. Scholesy was great, Carrick and Fletch did alright, Giggs was shocking (getting really painful having to say this after almost every game atm - absolutely imperative we get another winger this summer so his appearances are limited, in a positive way), Rooney did really well apart from in front of goal, and Ronnie never really got in the game - think a lot of this 'not a big game player' talk is hugely unfair rot (world cup semi-final clearly not big enough), we didn't play to his strengths, we switched him just when he was really starting to give Ferreira the runaround and whenever he did beat his fullback we had no-one in the box to get on the end of his crosses. he was doubled-up on loads as well - entirely understandable of course, happens to all great players, especially wingers. key for him (and us) now is a) that he learns how to cope with that (and he will), and b) that we get another genuine class winger to take the pressure off - there are only so many players (generally one tbf) that you can double up on and pay special attention to before you start playing into other players' hands.

tactically we were poor - we had the confidence and momentum going into the game and Chelsea very clearly just wanted to stop us playing, keep it tight and nick something (Joe Cole admitted as much in an interview afterwards). we completely played into their hands in that respect, we really should have just gone at them, preferably with Smithy starting. still thought we were marginally the better side - certainly the more ambitious - and the ball in behind the Chelsea fullbacks that was on all game, usually from Scholes, should really have brought some success - not least that Giggs chance where he seemed to take an eternity on it.

don't want to bang on about the ref too much. he was shockingly inept for both teams, we seemed to get the worst of it in as much as a couple of times he almost seemed to wait to see if there was an advantage for us and when there was THEN whistled to bring it back. and then ofc that Giggs/Cech incident - it's definitely a foul by Ryan on Cech but the ref doesn't give it :/ even so, it's a foul by Essien on Giggs that clearly stops him making proper contact - you'd have had to back even Giggsy on that form to score from there unimpeded. oh well.

interesting day away from the game. got down there very early, spent a couple of hours outside a pub that i've completely forgotten the name of (the Greyhound maybe?) by Wembley Central station singing, drinking and heckling the laughable number of open-top buses carrying Chelsea fans going past. headed into the ground and en route proceeded to get into arguments with two people, firstly someone who took issue with me saying the 'find madeleine mccann' posters and video were utterly pointless (i can't remember exactly what prompted me to say this, still stand by it though), and then more vociferously, some Chelsea fan who found me carrying an Argentina flag gravely offensive (omgz you should learn your history mate, they were our enemy in the falklands, i fought over there, our men died, blah blah blah). don't remember exactly how the argument panned out, but i was at that drunken stage where i felt fairly invincible and argued my corner. last thing i said to him as he went in was that i was just supporting one of my players, and i assumed he did the same with Germany's Michael Ballack. no response to that, smug.

the stadium itself - 'meh'. probably not best to judge it because yesterday was gutting and so there are obviously going to be negative connotations, but even before the game started i couldn't help thinking how unimpressive it was. suppose it was always going to struggle to live up to the hype and the cost, but still, just seemed devoid of character, pretty poor atmospherically, and where we were especially was weird - right at the back of the bottom tier under this overhang which was extremely low, was almost like watching from inside a bus shelter. might put some pictures up later if i cba. not even going to go into details about getting lost after the game and finding ourselves back outside the stadium two hours after the game finished, awful.

oh well. good news about hargreaves. roll on august.

Archived