The Manchester United thread 2006/2007 - featuring BBB leaving early

foobR

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 51.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> MANCHESTER UNITED

INS

OUTS

Tim Howard: 26-year-old US international 'keeper joins Everton on a season-long loan after losing his place to Edwin van der Sar.

Phil Picken: 20-year-old English defender joins Chesterfield on a free transfer after a season-long loan with the Spireites. He failed to make a single appearance for ManYoo.

Tommy Lee: 20-year-old goalkeeper joins Macclesfield Town after a four-month successful loan spell.

Jonathan Spector: 20-year-old defender has been sold to West Ham for around £500,000. He has failed to break into the Manchester United team and has had a successful loan spell at Charlton.

Eddie Johnson: 21-year-old striker has joined Bradford City on a free transfer after a loan spell at Crewe last season.

Quinton Fortune: 28-year-old South African utility man released after seven years with the Old Trafford club. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

icon_frown.gif

• 3 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Also, I said a while long while ago before I got caught up in the whole "we must sign 4-5 players" hum-drum (and subsequently pressed the reset button) that we'll probably only sign one player and a CM at that (this being before Ruud became a prominent candidate for departure) and that the left wing was the only place I could see Fergie deploying the likes of Jones (especially after reported competence out there in his NEC performances) without sending him out on loan again (for which Nick derided me). FWIW I think Richardson will start the season there ahead of the likes of Jones and JSPark until he's shown whether he's sinking or swimming. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I wouldn't say I derided you icon_biggrin.gif

I just think he's not ever going to be more than competent out there at Premiership level, and he doesn't offer enough out there long-term for a team wanting to win things. He's not pacy and isn't really the type to run at people - when he played on the left for NEC, it was as the left-most of a midfield three, so he wasn't an out and out wideman.

And what ali said - Park should be comfortably ahead of Richardson in the pecking order for the left wing.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20:

I think it's perfectly fair to do that, because in both cases I'm taking into account the guaranteed income/expenditure. The £13m is what Spurs are guaranteed, the £23m-ish is what we're guaranteed. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You can pretty much guarantee that with how tightly the Glazers are holding onto the purse strings at the minute, they are budgeting for £18m and if it doesn't reach that, great. Not the other way round.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ajeet:

So, I was speaking to some guy at work, he reckon's United are after Tevez, is there any truth to this? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Daily Star went as far as to say Corinthians had offered Tevez to us.

Anyone else worried about our squad depth?

We can get away with it during these pre-season games because we can call up the likes of Martin, Evans, Gibson and Simpson at short notice but most of these will be going on loan in the next few weeks.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Terry Cheung:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by snipersdream:

It wasn't. Remember the Champions League final (and no, this is not a cue for wrist-slitting nostalgia btw). </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Right. Nicky Butt has never been as important as for that one game. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ronny Johnsen had some good games in the centre of midfield that year, especially in europe. And i don't think Phil Neville or Fortune had played in the middle by that point?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ACou2000:

I cannot see us winning CL or League this season even with Hargs.. :/

But give that side another year or so and oh yes icon_cool.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I never saw Porto winning the CL. I never saw Liverpool winning the CL. Yet they did.

Anybody can win the CL if they get to the knockout stages. We're good enough to compete with any team especially if we get Hargreaves.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ACou2000:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by SLO_Fila:

Man i am starting to believe more and more that Saha is an absolute crap/pants/horrible/horrendous finisher. How many 1 on 1's has he missed so far this season? 10? Actually, has he scored any 1 on 1's so far because it seems the guy is incapable of scoring a simple goal icon_frown.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yet hes still our top scorer of the season. Give him a bit of a break eh. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well lucky for him he can score goals the other side of the pitch or score goals from impossible to control balls.

But i have never seen him score a simple goal this season, all the "easy" chances he wasted them. He would have scored 10 more goals with all the chances he had.

Oh and Ruud had an awsome goal today icon_biggrin.gif

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">BELFAST (Reuters) - Football hero George Best will feature on a million bank notes being issued in Northern Ireland next month to mark the first anniversary of his death.

Ulster Bank said on Thursday it would issue the five pound limited edition note a year after the celebrated Northern Irishman and Manchester United star died from multiple organ failure.

Best, soccer's first superstar, will

feature on the notes in his Northern Ireland and Manchester United strips.

"At the outset of this project we wanted to ensure that, in celebrating the life of this legendary footballer, we paid fitting tribute to his contribution to football in Northern Ireland and beyond," Ulster Bank chief executive Cormac McCarthy said.

"By selecting the most affordable note denomination, five pounds, we have tried to make the notes as widely accessible as possible," he said at the unveiling of the note's artwork where he was joined by members of Best's family.

Best, who underwent a liver transplant in 2002, died on November 25, 2005, at the age of 59 after a lifetime of heavy drinking. He had suffered infection and internal bleeding and had problems with his liver and kidneys.

He once summed up his turbulent life in one memorable phrase: "I spent a lot of my money on booze (alcohol), birds (women) and fast cars. The rest I just squandered". </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'll get one for anyone that wants it. It'll cost you a tenner icon_cool.gif

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">And Davies added: "I believe he has the skill to shine on the international stage and will eventually turn out for his country." </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Billy Davies so wise icon_cool.gif

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Rossi's blatantly Scholesy's long-term replacement icon_cool.gif

or what mark said. think we have to be careful (and i think/hope Fergie will be) not to necessarily get into the mindset of having a defensive midfielder and an attacking midfielder in the centre. Keane/Ince worked well enough after all, in tandem with two absolute flyers on the wings.

out and out left winger - carrick - hargreaves - ronaldo would be pretty ace i reckon.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by alilaw:

We use a bit more sophistication than your standard arithmetic mean to take an average length of post. Jimlad skews it too much. I'd suggest a truncated or weighted mean approach. Even normalised if I had the time.

You write a lot, is I guess the main point I'm trying to get across. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Its not just that he writes a lot though is it? What you’re saying is that Mark still writes a lot.

This being the case even though his posts have seemingly reduced in size not only in relation to some of his previous contributions, but markedly when compared to certain contributions of my own. All in all he’s still somewhat further away from achieving a more moderate posting length that would be more acceptable/uniform to the average trends associated with the posting lengths that the majority of material submitted by other regular thread users account for. And thus being the factor that skews the average posting length that has facilitated Marks delusions of posting brevity my posts are clearly further from the “happy medium†than his.

And I know that this post proves Ali's point when you consider the other alternative ways that I could have responded but its 2am, I’m bored, and it was informative to briefly acquaint myself with the various types of averages that Ali detailed. So I decided to break it down further...good god I really don't need to be awake right now. Night anyone who's still around.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Real ready to offer £54m to secure Ronaldo

Sid Lowe in Madrid

Thursday April 12, 2007

The Guardian

Real Madrid have stepped up their attempt to sign Cristiano Ronaldo by meeting his agent and agreeing a course of action that directors at the Santiago Bernabéu believe will end with the Portugal winger becoming their latest galáctico

Franco Baldini, right-hand man to Madrid's sporting director, Predrag Mijatovic, and the man who negotiates all of the club's signings, met Jorge Mendes in London last Wednesday.

Sources at Madrid claim that during the meeting, Baldini confirmed that Ronaldo is their No1 priority for next season and informed Mendes that they would be prepared to meet Manchester United's asking price for the winger - expected to be somewhere in the region of €80m (£54m). They would also be prepared to beat any contract offer made by Manchester United, matching Ronaldo's salary to that of the galácticos: €6m (£4m) a year, after tax.

While he warned Baldini that United would fight to keep Ronaldo, Mendes apparently told him that the winger is keen to join Madrid and would reject the contract offer currently on the table at Old Trafford. Ronaldo's wage demands on a new United contract are believed to be in the region of £140,000 a week.

Madrid also insist that Mendes has reassured them that Ronaldo will force an exit from Old Trafford, although a second meeting with Sir Alex Ferguson is expected in the next 10 days.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Saha:

So, any suggestions for a replacement user name? icon_frown.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

KR?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by United_Till_I_Die:

Did anyone watch the highlights of the Portugal game on Eurosport,apparently the commentator was saying how lots of clubs were intrested in Nani and how he could be on his way to Spain. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Was last night's highlights you were watching, yes ?

Not last week . . . month ?

Archived