The Manchester United thread 2006/2007 - featuring BBB leaving early

foobR

• Replies 51.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Cottager:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Gregg Carter:

See the Christiano hate has kicked up a gear.

Utterly pathetic. Real Madrid couldn't have hoped for a better reaction from our "fans".

Get behind the lad, I really hope he's with us next season. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

get behind the lad? yeah, he's shown that he really cares about his teammates, and that can only be good for team morale icon14.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Of course he's shown he cares for his team mates, he showed that he'd die for his country.

Him and Rooney werent team mates today, they were on opposing sides.

They're professional players, sure, they're likely to have a bit of niggle with each other on their first day back in training, but if they're professional, they'll accept that what happens in internationals has nothing to do with what happens for club and get on with it.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Cheese On Toast:

the guy who couldnt get in the boro team? icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, but that was not his fault IIRC.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by No Longer Bling:

too much money but i like cahill.

right now id be happy if it turned out djemba was coming back. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

surely it is not that bad?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by alilaw:

By the way lads, just the two days to go now...

I'm wondering if we should all take time off work and have a mini meet-up somewhere. Let's face it, the sheer excitement of the day means we pretty much won't get any work done anyway, and it'd be nice to mark the rebirth of our club by doing something a bit special. Maybe a champagne breakfast at the Four Seasons followed by a trip into town to get 'Torres 10' or 'Mascherano 16' on the back of our new shirts.

Two days... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm hoping it won't be Torres 10 icon_frown.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mark g:

Did they erase the bit of your memory telling you to get a job as well? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nah, I was born without that bit icon_frown.gif

hope everyone enjoyed the brilliantly built up july 14th icon14.gif

gutted about ruud, wont possibly bring in a player anywhere near as prolific and anything less than torres isnt good enough. if we bring in defoe, i officially lose all interest, might as well bring fowler, barton and mcmanaman in to sort out our issues.

supposedly the carrick deal is done and will be sorted next week and i honestly reckon that will be it for purchases this year unless we get that comedy keeper from wba.

scholes being lauded as back to his best is great, even if it is total ********. he was sh*t for the last few seasons when his eyes were good, so unless hes reverted to how he was at 26, hes no more use than fletcher.

awful awful awful pre-season. this must be how villa fans feel every year. on a brighter note i dreamt about united playing fulham last night and hargreaves was in our midfiled. however there was no rooney and forlan was playing wide right so its maybe not so good a sign.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20?:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Father Senegal:

Why is getting ruud out a dependency for the new signing, Glazers flexing their financial clout (or lack of)? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Pretty much, yep. Ruud going is expected to set things in motion on a few fronts, so it dragging on is a bit of a pain, even though I'm glad we're at least trying to get a half-decent price. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Just guessing here but I'd wager that its pressure of Ruuds wages on the bill each week in addition to the prospective wages of any big signing rather than the fee we'd get or space in the squad thats holding up moves on other fronts (as well as clubs of players we're interested in rejecting our bids). For instance I don't believe that Kuszczak or Carrick would come anywhere near demanding Ruuds £90k or so a week but a Torres or a Vieira might.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Taz & The Devil:

I dont know how we do it, we wont see Ruud for less than £15m so off he pops for £10m as we sell cheap as always. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

wasn't the 15m figure just paper talk? i mean did fergie or gill ever publically say he's not moving for less than 15m? afaik it was always just "we have a value and until it's met he ain't going".

p.s. ronaldo left, jsp right wing shirley.

from our site:

Tottenham Hotspur plc announces that agreement has been reached for the transfer of the player registration of Michael Carrick, subject to the player agreeing personal terms and passing a medical, to Manchester United Football Club for a total consideration of up to £18.6m..

For someone we bought for £2.75m... \0/ \0/ \0/

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mark g:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20:

I think it's perfectly fair to do that, because in both cases I'm taking into account the guaranteed income/expenditure. The £13m is what Spurs are guaranteed, the £23m-ish is what we're guaranteed. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You can pretty much guarantee that with how tightly the Glazers are holding onto the purse strings at the minute, they are budgeting for £18m and if it doesn't reach that, great. Not the other way round. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I can't see any of these add-on payments being triggered that quickly, so it wouldn't surprise me if they're included in next year's budget. Appearances for us and England - you'd imagine that wouldn't be less than a full season at very least, and obviously payments relating to trophies won't be made until the end of the season.

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by No Longer Bling:

christ what a hero smudger is, get in there son. would love it, LOVE it if he got back to full fitness and was able to support king louis. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I actually reckon they'd work really well up top together.

Have they ever been deployed as the front two? I can't remember.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Taz & The Devil:

Silly question, when you got to Old Trafford on non match days where do you park the car?

Do they keep the car parks open for visitors, i would think so but i've only ever been by Coach on a non match day. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The one directly behind the North Stand is open too as its common to see coaches of Japenese/Chinese etc disembarking prior to walking round to the megawhore when i am in town.

Also as Jonny said the one by ticket office is open too usually as there are vehicles entering off that side road too.

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JonTheGTFCFan:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Pickles:

Just worried that after Chelsea's "poor" start, they're still only a point behind us!

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

umm... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

what?

first time in four seasons you've not won all four opening games or something lik that - hence the " " around the word poor.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by SLO_Fila:

Man i am starting to believe more and more that Saha is an absolute crap/pants/horrible/horrendous finisher. How many 1 on 1's has he missed so far this season? 10? Actually, has he scored any 1 on 1's so far because it seems the guy is incapable of scoring a simple goal icon_frown.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yet hes still our top scorer of the season. Give him a bit of a break eh.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Neville's bread and butter

Gary Neville epitomises loyalty and commitment to his club. In an age where players are more financially motivated than ever, the Manchester United skipper remains a great servant to Old Trafford and ESPNSoccernet Press Pass caught up with him in an exclusive interview.

Top of the league and in fine form, with only a home defeat to Arsenal to blemish their record so far this season, Neville is optimistic on United's chances of success.

'We're delighted with the way everything's gone,' said Neville. 'We said at the start of the season that we didn't want to fall too far behind Chelsea or Arsenal like we had in the previous two seasons. We're happy with the way things are going at the moment.

'We have to perform week in week out, and show consistency and maturity that gives you the right to be champions,' he says. 'You have to produce consistent performances and when you're not playing well you need to pick up points and that's the art of winning championships.'

And he would know a thing or two about that - having picked up six Premiership titles, three FA Cups, one European Cup and one League Cup, during his 15 year association with the club.

But now there is a new force to contend with, and Neville knows how important it is to beat defending champions Chelsea in November.

'It will be a huge game when it comes around,' he says. 'They've got good players. A squad of 20 players who are all seasoned internationals and they've signed a couple of world class names in Shevchenko and Ballack.'

'These games can be defining moments. If you get the confidence from winning one of those games, you can take it forward and it will make you feel unbeatable. We obviously want to win that match, but the most important thing is for us to win the games before that to put us in a good position.'

Having already lost one important game this season (at home to Arsenal), Neville sees the title race being a much tighter affair.

'I think it will be a lot tighter,' he says. 'Arsenal have got some very talented players, and they play an excellent level of football - probably one of the highest levels of football you'll see in Europe.

'If you come out of the Christmas period and go into January still in contention for the title, that's when you really see the league starting to take shape. I think we've got the team to do it this season.'

Having played over 500 games for the club, Neville was also pleased to see fellow veteran Paul Scholes return from a serious eye injury to reach his own personal milestone against Liverpool.

'Paul Scholes is the best football player that I've ever played with,' he says. 'He has talent in every single part of his game, and if you have somebody like him injured, he's impossible to replace, because there's nobody that can compare with him.

'It's a great thing for him to come back, obviously he's a great friend and somebody who the team misses, the club misses, the fans miss and he will be a big plus for us this season. It's like signing a new player.'

After a suspension and subsequent drop in form, another precocious talent in the United ranks, Wayne Rooney, has certainly got his captain's backing following his recent displays.

'The problem with this country is that you're not allowed to have an off-patch,' Neville says. 'I don't care whether you're one of the best young players in the world or a Sunday league player; if you don't play football regularly then you're not going to be at your highest level of performance.

'We have a fascination with picking on somebody who is the new star and Wayne is the English star at the moment. Everything has to be high or low, there's no in between. It's either very negative or very positive.'

As the dominant English right-back in the game, with 84 caps for his country, Neville will be hoping it is all positive for Rooney and company during the remaining Euro 2008 qualifying fixtures, after a mountain of criticism was heaped on the squad and the manager following disappointing results against Macedonia and Croatia.

'I think Macedonia played a fantastic match against us at Old Trafford,' says Neville. 'And Croatia haven't been beat in Croatia for 14 years, so it was a difficult match for us. We didn't play brilliantly but we've got to make sure we recover from that and do better against Israel.'

And does he see Steve McClaren as the man to lead England into the Championships?

'Yeah, I think he is the right man for the job,' he laughs. 'He's a success for all English coaches, as somebody who started off at the lower level coaching and has gradually worked his way up. He was a great coach at Manchester United, and somebody who's got great communication skills, who's knowledgeable about the game and who analyses all parts of the game. I think he will do a very good job for England.'

Surprisingly coy about his best friend (David Beckham) and the possibility of an England recall, Neville says diplomatically, 'A manager will pick a team that he feels is right. We are just football players at the end of the day, we're not the manager.'

Diplomacy of which his club manager, Sir Alex Ferguson, would be proud.

'He's been somebody who I think has given me everything I could have asked for,' says Neville of the fiery Scot. 'He always said to us as young players that if you were good enough, you would get a chance and he stood by his word.'

And Neville has remained stoically loyal to his beloved Red Devils, even the call of England doesn't get in the way of Neville's passion for his club.

'I've always said that England is a bonus, my bread and butter has always been Manchester United,' he says. 'To play well for this club and to be selected by this club has to be my priority and with that hopefully I can continue to gain England honours.

'My ultimate ambition with England is to be part of an England team that is successful and wins a major tournament, but my goals have never changed.

'I just want to play as many football matches as I can for Manchester United and to be part of a successful team. That never changes.'

What manager, for club or country, could ask for more? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

May as well stick that frickin' phrase on our bloody shirt ffs.

MANCHESTER UNITED FOOTBALL CLUB - IT'S LIKE SIGNING A NEW PLAYER

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bagpuss:

Is he still shagging with JoJo??

New player and new song in one icon_wink.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The adu chant has to be something on the lines of "Aga du! du! du!"

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BBB:

I wonder if it's the same as last season where me and only me said that we would win. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No, I'm with you on it this time around. I reckon Torres will score a hattrick and Hargreaves will add a fourth in a magnificent showing - Mascherano to absolutely murder the Chelsea players, too.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Saha:

I can't remember if it was O'Shea or Richardson, but at one point it looked like Rooney was holding their hand. A bit like a man teaching their kid to a ride a bike for the first time. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Do you think it ouwld help if we fitted Richardson with stabilisers?

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20:

oh, and pardew getting sacked today is horrendous timing. new manager syndrome next week icon_frown.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

yeah I posted similar in that Pards thread.

it's SO blatant icon_frown.gif

• 3 weeks later...

it was too easy/obvious

best left to the personal thought space where I bask in the glow of United's infinitely more illustrious history than da bluze

and Mika, it's not like you to be wrong but Ronaldo is clearly not miles better than Rooney. and certainly hasnt always been.

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

United make Mavuba contact

Rio Mavuba's agent has confirmed to skysports.com that his client has been contacted by Manchester United, but has played down the possibility of the Bordeaux midfielder moving anywhere in January.

Mavuba is regarded as one of the brightest young prospects in European football and has been linked with several of the continent's top clubs.

He has previously stated that he would relish the opportunity to play for the Premiership leaders, and United are eager to keep tabs on his progress.

Vincenzo Morabito, the player's representative, feels a move away from France is unlikely to go ahead this month, but has hinted that Mavuba could be set for pastures new in the summer.

However, Morabito has warned United that they will face stiff competition for Mavuba's signature, as Italian giants Juventus have also made contact with the young Frenchman.

Morabito told skysports.com: "It is true that the player is followed very closely by clubs in England, but also in Italy.

"The situation will depend on a lot of details.

"Bordeaux are an ambitious club that are attempting to qualify for a second consecutive UEFA Champions League, so it may be easier for Rio to leave in the summer.

"But if a club offer a big sum of money during the January transfer window, we will see if Bordeaux are interested in transferring him.

"I sincerely think that the summer transfer window will be more interesting for him.

"Manchester United and Juventus have asked for him.

"That is normal. Rio is a future top-class player and his future lies with a very ambitious European club."

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Its happening lads, leave 3pm tomorrow free to watch the press conference.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BBB:

Vida will be back to his usual form next Sunday icon_cool.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

vida vs arsenal last season at OT was soooo icon_cool.gif

that tackle that started for the rooney goal(iirc?)

was immense.

• 3 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Ronaldo, 22, said: 'For the moment, I'm only thinking about training well every day. I don't know where I will be in the space of the next six months.

'The only thing I am sure about is I want to continue at the level I've reached and aim to improve even more.' </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

• 2 weeks later...

you could argue who had the better chances, but he certainly didn't have more. And i didn't comment on his game overall, purely how he did in front of goal. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Fair enough, I do think Ronaldo had more to be honest, the shot wide, the shot saved, sure he had another couple...can't be bothered to check though.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Francis Cole:

You are laughing then. He's joined as "short-term cover for reserve team football" </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

ah, you'll be alright as long as he's kept to reserve football. any idea if it's permanent or a loan? he went on loan to Everton to play in their reserves earlier in the season.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

what have i done now icon_frown.gif

it went really well, and also rubbish. long story. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Do you get to start with any stars, or have you got to earn all 5? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

i have as many stars as City i believe.

or alternatively, my twat of a recruitment consultant sent me to an interview for a completely different job to the one we discussed, one i'm far less likely to get. wp him.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by alilaw:

I'd love that on my phone icon_frown.gif

what are we all doing tomorrow night then chaps? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm going to ask my brother to lend me ten thousand pounds. Stuff like that puts the trivial nature of football starkly into context.

Note that I only consider football trivial when we don't win. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Surely there are easier avoidance methods? Seems a bit extreme. Can't you just clean the bathroom or something?

• 2 weeks later...

Archived