The Manchester United thread 2006/2007 - featuring BBB leaving early

foobR

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 51.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mark g:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Asmodeus:

As I said I think that was not related to any physical problem. More motivational I guess. He showed his old drive and determination during the World Cup. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think it's both. Most players who are not the same physically can still push themselves to their old levels on occasion, it just happens less and less often. Even in the World Cup Vieira wasn't great until the knockout stages. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Fair enough. He's Inter- bound now it seems.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Coldberg:

After waking up I just read the pages since I left for Amsterdam. It's only slightly more optimistic than the first 100 icon_frown.gif

Sleeping for 24 hours is so very awesome \o/ </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I was awake for 40 hours straight, then slept for 10. Feel surprisingly good \O/ </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

mnaged to stay awake til 11pm woke up around 2pm today not to bad

admittedly i may of dozed off in places driving back from BBB's tbh but i was still home in a little over 2 hours

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ajeet:

£42 for Adriano

That's a lot of money to spend on one player! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif Since when have we had that much to spend, you'd think they'd have enough to write about with the match fixing scandal rather than making bo**ocks like that up

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Blaine:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20:

I suspect we've approached Bayern, if only to sound them out. I doubt we've officially had talks with Hargreaves, probably more an agent thing which, while dodgy, isn't going to lead to any tapping-up nonsense. Tapping-up basically pretty hard to prove unless you're as stupid as Chelsea and you tap someone up very publicly. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not far off the mark from what I have heard.

About the fantasy football, I'm joined up and all that... am I the only one that purposefully doesn't pick United players?

I was tempted to have Neville/Saha but I view it as some sort of curse or jinx sort of thing.

I try not to pick Liverpool or City either... but I must admit to picking Gerrard. (icon_frown.gif) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Same with the Gerrard thing icon_frown.gif

I used to never pick United players as a rule, gone against that for this the last couple of years though because there's always a few who seem to be great value.

• 2 weeks later...

For anyone remotely interested, our early reserve fixtures appear to be:

31/8 Blackburn (h)

14/9 Citeh (a)

19/9 Boro (a)

5/10 Notlob (h)

Rather annoyed, wouldn't have come home for the week if I'd known we had a game Thursday. Still, should get to the mini derby and the inbreds game. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

How is our reserve team looking? Jones and Rossi shouldn't go back to that level but most of our next batch of promising players are 16 year olds.

GK) Zieler

DR) Marsh?

DC) Shawcross

DC) Cathcart?

DL) Lee

MR) Barnes

MC) Richie Jones?

MC) Rose?

ML) Sean Evans?

FW) Brandy

FW) ??????

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BBB:

Wayne Rooney floored Michael Gray with one punch after the "sleazy" Blackburn full-back made unwelcoming advances to the England star's girlfriend Coleen in a trendy Manchester bar. (The Sun) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Go united! icon14.gif

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mika:

Giggs is right tbf.

I'm reasonably confident that we'll make it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

blatant alias

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

THE biggest game in North-wich this season is due tomorrow night when Sir Alex Ferguson and Manchester United officially open the Victoria Stadium.

A crowd of about 3,000 is expected and, by coincidence, will be followed the town's second biggest attendance on Sunday when the other Reds - FC United of Manchester - play Congleton Town in the North West Counties League at Witton Albion's ground. About 2,000 are anticipated.

Sir Alex has kept a long-made promise in personally opening the ground, which has grown over the past 18 months to be among the best in non-league football. He will un-veil a plaque in the main stand at 7.30pm.

He will be accompanied by Sir Bobby Charlton and Jack Crompton, the former goalkeeper and first team coach.

Fireworks and cheerleaders will give the evening a carnival atmosphere. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by 14AlanSmithifb:

what time is everyone getting to the wall tommorrow then? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'll bring beer

• 2 weeks later...

we're not on sky much over christmas are we? the villa and wigan games definitely aren't, have a feeling reading isn't either. not sure about newcastle :/ </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Newcastle is a 5.15KO so must be, besides, who cares? We're going \o/

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Juni:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Coldberg:

I guess northern teams get charged more because it's less ditance to travel & they know fans will come to watch.

We get charged a premium pretty much wherever we go though. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

afaik the Chelsea game is a one off because of the date of the game and the kickoff time and the fact it's on TV. Or something. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

so ****ing what.

I'm paying £36 for Newcastle away, at 5.15 on New Years Day that's on TV.

robbing *****

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ?:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mika:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Taz & The Devil:

Why would we sell Rossi? Thats akin to us selling a 19 year old Paul Scholes. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Exactly icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, but if thats where we want to deploy him in future. I havent seen evidence than Fergie is thinking that way. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm referring more to his level of potential rather than his position.

Well thats annoying.

Not only is the lack of ability to finish some gilt edged chances annoying but I transfered Scholes out of my fantasy football team yesterday. Maybe I should do the same with Rooney if it means he'll score...

Anyway, on performances so far who would you give player of the season too if it had to be decided now. Scholes or Ronaldo. Personally I'd go for Scholes.

MOTM: Scholes

Runner up: Ronaldo

• 2 weeks later...

think people are being a bit harsh on Wayne btw. he was poor first half but much better second half, when he deserved a goal on merit rather than just on effort.

happy with today, nice to see us attacking a team right from the off rather than the recent habit of only turning up for the second half. we've been saying someone's gonna get a thumping off us sooner or later, should really have been today - bit annoyed at the way we sat back second half and let them back into it. even so, that's just me being picky, can't really complain.

vds - good (and underrated) save from a header first half which could have made things nervier. solid as ever really, no chance with the goal

nev - getting nearer his early season form, especially in terms of going forward

evra - class, again. has to be a shoo-in for most improved player this season, wouldn't swap him for any other left-back around

rio - marking not great for their goal but otherwise very sound

vida - baros made him look a bit silly for the goal but otherwise a pretty seamless return

park - first half was about as good as we've seen from him - direct, tricky, lively, intelligent and wtfz, a goal. tired dramatically though, really ineffective after the break

ronaldo - had a couple of games off from being amazy, right back up at that high level again now. poor mellberg had to fork out to get back into the stadium at one point

carrick - getting better and better. long overdue goal which was his from start to finish, great cross for Ronnie's strike, just looks completely at home now

scholes - the sort of performance that there aren't really enough superlatives for. could just watch him play all day long in that kind of form, just a class above anyone else in the country

rooney - as above. dire first half, improved lots second half, desperately needs a break in two senses of the word (and definitely not in another)

larsson - quieter but still showed his class. his movement is absolute quality, must be an absolute nightmare to mark him.

none of the subs really made an impact, thought saha looked well off the pace (perhaps understandably) and the other two didn't have much time to do anything notable (although JOS was, as ali said, as bad as he could possibly be in such limited time, and Ole would have had another goal if Ronnie hadn't been quite so greedy late on)

anyway, another potential hurdle overcome, another game ticked off the list with the lead intact, key players in good form going into next week's huge game, can't ask for much more. a rooney goal and a clean sheet one of these days would be nice though.

• 3 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tanman007:

I would've settled for 2-0, but that performance was brilliant. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Second half anyway. icon_biggrin.gif

• 4 weeks later...

I finally think after seeing that, we have a real chance of completing the job now. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Don't start saying things like that, it's been going fine with your constant lack of belief. Don't muck with it when it's working

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">If we win at Everton we win the league. I am confident on that. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have us winning the league without beating Everton and Chelsea. Can see them slipping up at the Emirates tbh, maybe not a defeat but a potential draw for them. Have the relegation battle interesting, 5 clubs separated by 3 points.

Basically what Mark said about Rooney. He's had a pretty good season all told.

Its just that his performances in recent seasons (especially last season) were so unbelievably awesome that he hasn't been as good this season. His quality has still lead to some amazing moments this season (I agree with mark again here, its rare hes been on top for an entire match but some of his goals have been of the highest quality) and his tally in April couldn't have came at a better time.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">The definitely going to be joining Manchester United, no doubt about it, cos the papers say so list

Mikel Arteta - Everton (Guardian)

Dimitar Berbatov - Spurs (Guardian, Sunday Mirror)

Jermain Defoe - Spurs (Guardian)

Owen Hargreaves - Bayern Munich (Times)

Klaas Jan Huntelaar - Ajax (Guardian)

Running Total: 5

Predicted Final Total

Irish - 170

James07? - 112

bling - 102

pjburrage 99

WSR - 95

thei 92

alilaw - 89

Nezell - 87

14AlanSmithifb 85

vanester 82

T!mbo - 80

BBB - 79

gonch19 - 78

Bagpuss 77

Pickles - 74

julesMUFC - 71

ajw2255 - 70

Nick OGS20 - 68

Maverick 64

Ryno - 62

ACou2000 - 60

Gregg Carter 59

Jimlad - 56

ericcantona7 - 55

mark g 52

SLO_Fila 43

Master Blasta - 32

EmmYouEffSee - 29

RedBlood - 26

qwerty2k - 17

Razor Eddie 16

? - 15 </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The definitely going to be joining Manchester United, no doubt about it, cos the papers say so list

Mikel Arteta - Everton (Guardian)

Dimitar Berbatov - Spurs (Guardian, Sunday Mirror)

Jermain Defoe - Spurs (Guardian)

Owen Hargreaves - Bayern Munich (Times)

Klaas Jan Huntelaar - Ajax (Guardian)

Running Total: 5

Predicted Final Total

Irish - 170

James07? - 112

bling - 102

pjburrage 99

WSR - 95

theis - 92

alilaw - 89

Nezell - 87

14AlanSmithifb 85

vanester 82

T!mbo - 80

BBB - 79

gonch19 - 78

Bagpuss 77

Pickles - 74

julesMUFC - 71

ajw2255 - 70

Nick OGS20 - 68

Maverick 64

davidbowie 63

Ryno - 62

ACou2000 - 60

Gregg Carter 59

Jimlad - 56

ericcantona7 - 55

mark g 52

keyser - 50

player_65 - 46

SLO_Fila 43

Master Blasta - 32

EmmYouEffSee - 29

RedBlood - 26

qwerty2k - 17

Razor Eddie 16

? - 15

• 3 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Francis Cole:

Even the Chelsea one was quicker than this. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

oi, watch it.

Archived