The Manchester United thread 2006/2007 - featuring BBB leaving early

foobR

• Replies 51.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Finally Fergie speaks about transfers and you won't like it.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson has once again reiterated his passive stance in the transfer marker.

With just over one month until the start of the new Premiership season, the Scotsman has not saw fit to add to his current squad - despite rivals Chelsea, Liverpool and Arsenal all making high profile acquisitions already.

"I've said it before. Manchester United, as a club, do not panic buy. We will not be forced into making a move just because other clubs see fit to do so. We keep our own house in order, we don't look at the others. If a player comes along that would improve the squad, then we'll be in for him. No question."

When quizzed about wether or not he expected new faces before Manchester United embark on a pre-season tour of South Africa, the Manchester United manager responded defensively.

"No, there will be no activity. You have to remember, we have players like Ben Foster, Christopher Eagles, David Jones and Liam Miller all coming back from very successful loan spells. Ben and Chris achieved promotion with Watford, Liam lost out in the playoffs and, by all accounts, David was excellent at both Deepdale and with NEC. Manchester United have always given the youngsters a chance, and that won't change."

Spanish whizz-kid Fernando Torres has been the name on the lips of most Manchester United supporters, but Ferguson denied any contact had been made with Atletico Madrid.

"We don't comment on rumours. I can tell you though that we have had no contact with Atletico Madrid, and don't expect to." </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BBB:

Finally Fergie speaks about transfers and you won't like it.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson has once again reiterated his passive stance in the transfer marker.

With just over one month until the start of the new Premiership season, the Scotsman has not saw fit to add to his current squad - despite rivals Chelsea, Liverpool and Arsenal all making high profile acquisitions already.

"I've said it before. Manchester United, as a club, do not panic buy. We will not be forced into making a move just because other clubs see fit to do so. We keep our own house in order, we don't look at the others. If a player comes along that would improve the squad, then we'll be in for him. No question."

When quizzed about wether or not he expected new faces before Manchester United embark on a pre-season tour of South Africa, the Manchester United manager responded defensively.

"No, there will be no activity. You have to remember, we have players like Ben Foster, Christopher Eagles, David Jones and Liam Miller all coming back from very successful loan spells. Ben and Chris achieved promotion with Watford, Liam lost out in the playoffs and, by all accounts, David was excellent at both Deepdale and with NEC. Manchester United have always given the youngsters a chance, and that won't change."

Spanish whizz-kid Fernando Torres has been the name on the lips of most Manchester United supporters, but Ferguson denied any contact had been made with Atletico Madrid.

"We don't comment on rumours. I can tell you though that we have had no contact with Atletico Madrid, and don't expect to." </div></BLOCKQUOTE> </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

hahahahahahahahaha get ready for 6th icon_biggrin.gif

• 4 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BBB:

Needs to be someone who's helped him out in the past </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Why post it in here then icon_frown.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JulesMUFC:

Martins from Inter has been asked to be placed on the transfer list, would we interested for a decent price? Apparently he is still young, stupidly quick and 2 good feet. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

He's really not that good though. Vastly overrated on FM.

But then, I'd rather him then Saha, so

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mark g:

Look, it's really really simple. You're own team comes first ahead of any hatred for anyone else. If you start looking for other teams results or outcomes before your own, you're no better than a bitter. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well said

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Gazz22:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Terry Cheung:

I still think United will adopt a more cautious style of football in Europe, which is sensible. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Why?

When we won the CL in 99 we went all out to win games and score lots of goals. It's the cautious crap that made a mockery of us in Europe last season. Games at OT against Lille and Villarreal when we sat back and payed them too much respect. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Believe me, I would prefer to see such an attacking approach too, but it also depends on personnel. At that time we had the fearsome midfield quartet of Beckham, Keane, Scholes and Giggs all at their peak.

The same strategy didn't work in 99-2000 or the year after that, though luck always plays some part.

With the current midfield personnel I think we would be crucified if we played 2 attacking wide midfielders and 2 strikers. With Veron's signing it was clearly intended to introduce a more consistently successful tactic for Europe some of the football in the CL where Seba was orchestrating was fantastic.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JulesMUFC:

haha sorry about the senior comment eddie the original one i was getting suddently disapeared and all i was left with was the senior one! But then all was well and this one came on the market.

Ive just contact Viagogogogo and got them to dispatch the ticket to your address. Will be there 48 hours before the game.

As i said in the text and if its ok with Martin if you give the money for the ticket to him and he passes it on to me at the newcastle game, why aye man? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No probs.icon14.gif Muchly appreciated, Jules.

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by James07?:

Richardson would have done a job in the 2nd half. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If anything yesterday he should have started so Ronaldo could play on the right & Fletcher in the middle with <STRIKE>Carrick</STRIKE> O'Shea.

But no, we had to watch that crap instead.

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Coldberg:

I would've had the Wigan ticket but you can let the perv have it seeing as he called it first.

Keef you going to Copenhagen home or not? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

you work saturdays dumbass icon_razz.gif

and yes you can have the copenhagen ticket

• 4 weeks later...

says he who voted Barnes in 2nd place? icon_biggrin.gif

Cba to go over it again, said what I've wanted to say about Jonah in the match thread, pretty happy with how he played, certainly first half, one of the few players to show any kind of quality.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

See, that's what I mean. And this isn't personal in anyway, but it's unfair that someone like me who has applied for every away game for three bloody years is treated in exactly the same way as someone who bought their 1st season ticket this year and is applying for their 1st away game.

Selfish, maybe.

Got Villa icon_smile.gif

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by alilaw:

FAO MIKA

:*********************)

Cheers mate, arrived today. Very much appreciated. Your handwriting is ABYSMAL though, although that's actually hugely encouraging as mine is too. And you had to tarnish the gesture with your lies icon13.gif

Having to listen to the match today as I've got a flying lesson until 5. Come one Alan 'twat' Green not commentating... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

His handwriting is utterly awful aye icon_biggrin.gif, still heroic

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mark g:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20:

i've got:

louis saha

alan smith

mark hughes

andy cole

dwight yorke

dion dublin

henning berg

teddy sheringham

keith gillespie

pretty sure they all have. one more icon_frown.gif

kankan has been suggested, i can't recall him scoring against us though </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If those are all correct, Ince completes the set. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

i'm confused now, Ince was the first name on my list. either one of the other nine is wrong or i had it all along icon_frown.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Your original list plus Ince is the 10, Kanchelskis was wrong i think. What's the problem? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well in that case, it's all wrong cause Jon Macken scored against us for City in 03/04 if I remember correctly.

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ACou2000:

someome PLEASE tell me how many games out a straight red is?

assuming no appeals etc </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

"First offence" red card is 3 games. "Second offence" red card is 4 games (for example Mikel is out for 4 because it is his second straight red of the season).

Now normally it should be 3 games but i have no idea if the Porto friendly game red counts or not (that was a straight red btw).

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by atvkwkad:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by James M:

i cant help but feel that even home first our attitude would be to not concede the away goal. so away first please, it's not pretty, but if we scrape every game 1-0 who cares? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I thought you won 3-1 away from home tonight? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

cheers chris, we did icon_smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

"The ones who need a game will get one in the UEFA charity match on Tuesday," said the boss, who mentioned Alan Smith as a player who will be given minutes to boost his match fitness. "Rio Ferdinand and Nemanja Vidic picked up injuries, they're doubtful for Tuesday." </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hihi, didn't Ronaldo and Rooney pick up some "knocks" as well that will miraculously heal the 2nd day after the MASSIVE game?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrators

You're a ****ing WYCOMBE FAN for christs sake </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

...who's only been to the Chelsea ties.

Christ you don't do much to endear yourself to people Pickles.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by No Longer Bling:

silvestre - £3m surely. worth it for the comedy value alone, french international. someone will go for it.

richardson - £9m. full english international, answer to englands left wing problem. probably worth a LITTLE less but english inflation means we shouldnt be letting him go for much under £10m.

smith - £17m. another full england international, can play as both a forward and a midfield player, supreme in either role. brave like a lion and passion alone worth a good £10m in england.

oshea - £6m but bidding war could see the price rise to unfathomable levels. plays every position possible, the ultimate utility man, superb celebrations. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm all for putting silly values on players for comedic purposes, but £3m for Silvestre? You just had to go too far, didn't you icon_rolleyes.gif

• 4 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by No Longer Bling:

yeah ill be upset if we go out without a whimper having got so far and done so well against roma but priority for me has been the league for ages now and thats not changing. would take defeat tomorrow if it guaranteed a win at everton in a heartbeat. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

that's the problem with football isn't it? You make all these rational transactions before the game like "lose here but win at everton is fine", but when it comes down to it you know deep down that there are no deals done like that, so for me regardless of the fact that i want the league more than anything, i'll be gutted if we lose tomorrow.

Its true, our progress in the CL has been much better than expected, well in comparison to how even if we weren't top right now I'd have expected us to run Chelsea even closer this year and a run to the final of one of the domestic cups is always possible.

Not that our European form prior to Roma away was brilliant or anything as far as performances went but since beating Lille and having a succession of pressured games thrust upon us with Roma and Milan we've made a real impression which I'm pleased about.

• 3 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Rcjuk:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Rcjuk:

I might send them ONE DAY </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

sorted now, downloaded them all icon_cool.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

not as good quality as the originals

which i will get round to sending them if you like? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

that'd be lovely icon14.gif

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Gregg Carter:

I'm actually with ry-dawg on this one. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I accept your apology.

x </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

So long as you promise to continue being an insufferable little pain in the arse, i'll promise to be an annoying welsh tw*t. Deal?

im basically the 'your mate' in that scenario theis icon_biggrin.gif

do a shedload more than the majority but am just a bit thick when it comes to exams so might struggle to get a mark i feel i deserve. still, fair play for beating the system icon_cool.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

i haven't beaten it yet of course. could have horribly predicted how a couple of them have gone but as I've had no **** ups and have actually done some revision for these (got a 2:2 in my first year exams) I would be surprised and disappointed if I did get a 2:2.

I wouldn't quite call it beating the system because in my subject out of 90 people less than 10 got a 2:2 last year. More that the system is flawed if it allows two people doing massively different amounts of work throughout their three years to get was is ultimately the same degree.

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mika:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by James07?:

for the love of all things unatural and keiron richardson.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE stop going on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on about Ruud van bloody mother humping Nistel****ingroy.

And before mika starts his usual bleat, there is no other ex player that's had even 1000th of the posts devoted to him even though there are dozens who are more deserving of it, so if Mark and I want to spend 5 pages debating Ralph ****ing Milne that's got NOTHING to do with you so called right to bang on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on about your dutch w*nk fantasy.

OK? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That one icon_biggrin.gif

And I know full well it was a Friday afternoon and all that as you said even said so a few posts after, but it wound me up sufficiently anyway.

It was also the way that latest two page debate unfolded that annoyed me more than anything though and I just thought balls to it. Irony being I probably played more of a part in starting that one than the others, but still icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's hard not to bite though. I keep saying how boring it is, then still have to jump in about every third debate icon_biggrin.gif

Also, i'm impressed the way you pretended it took you time to find it. We all know you had it bookmarked icon_biggrin.gif

Archived