The Manchester United thread 2006/2007 - featuring BBB leaving early

foobR

• Replies 51.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

you can't have it both ways - either you thrive on the abuse (as claimed after the semi) or you're scared by it. If you just fancy a move to Madrid, say so, quit bullshitting. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nick, there is very well put. icon14.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Young Jimlad:

Starting XI v. Barca -

Walsh, Parker, Bruce, Pallister, Irwin, Kanchelskis, Butt, Keane, Giggs, Ince, Hughes.

Subs -

Pilkington, Beckham, Scholes, G Neville, Simon Davies (?) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I doubt Davies would have made the bench, as he was Welsh as well.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by gonch19:

fletcher's passing is anything but erratic tbf. no matter his other weaknesses, he's a very good passer </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I disagree. I think his passing is average. He was built up to be a playmaker in the mould of Carrick, but his passing just isn't good enough for that role. I get the feeling he just doesn't know where/when to pass the ball. He can be a decent squad player for us given the energetic role though.

Ole looks massively off the pace and Smith won't be fully fit for another month or two. It also means, unless we buy a striker, that Saha and Rooney will be playing A LOT of games this season. Especially when you consider the Carling Cup and the early rounds of the FA Cup.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by elmonzo:

Does anyone know where I could find a link of Veron's stunning goal against Everton in his first month at United? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20:

Hilarious that even his fellow Coventry fans think he's a tool. Time to bring him back methinks. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That did make me laugh.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Man Utd to rake in £9M from triple sell-out

September 08, 2006

Manchester United are set to bring in almost £9 million in revenue over the next nine days as they sell out Old Trafford for three upcoming games.

A small number of executive seats have still to be sold for all three matches, but, with Old Trafford's capacity increased to 75,800, tomorrow evening's Barclays Premiership match against Tottenham Hotspur, followed by a Champions League meeting with Celtic on Wednesday and a resumption of hostilities with their old foes from Arsenal on Sunday week, are likely to bring United their three largest attendances at the stadium.

A total of about 225,000 spectators are expected to pass through the turnstiles over the course of the three games, with United generating about �2.8 million in match-day revenue on each occasion - more than �1.1 million of that figure from corporate sales.

"The likelihood of three capacity crowds over the next week demonstrates that people are as keen as ever to come and watch Manchester United," Phil Townsend, the club's director of communications, said.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

icon_biggrin.gif

• 1 month later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Weststandred:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BBB:

Yas, can't wait. Me, Nickogs, James07, Coldberg, Bagpuss are all going.

Fernhurst icon_cool.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah my dad mentioned going in there at about 3ish. But its not decided yet as he wants to go round Blackburn aswell.. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You will be the guy wearing the full kit, the jester hat & have the horn yeah?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JulesMUFC:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

RED-HOT soccer star CRISTIANO RONALDO is enjoying sizzling sex sessions with Hollyoaks beauty GEMMA ATKINSON, The Sun can reveal. The 22-year-old actress, currently competing in ITV’s Soapstar Superstar, has boasted to pals about her romps with the winking winger, who is in stunning form for Man U.

Portuguese star Ronaldo, 21, has bedded her in his Cheshire mansion during secret trysts.

He spotted Gemma — Lisa Hunter in Hollyoaks — at a party, asked for her number then called for a date.

The smitten beauty told a pal: “He is gorgeous in every way and things are going really well.â€

Gemma, also a glamour model, had been dating Charlton ace MARCUS BENT.

She is showing off her singing talents on Soapstar Superstar, which is filmed in Manchester.'

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

wp ronnie son, she has massive tits icon14.gif

also icon_biggrin.gif at the xavi rumours about as likely as us signing ronaldinho was imo. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's why he's in such a good form this season icon_biggrin.gif

• 2 weeks later...

LOSC Lille v Manchester United

Tuesday 20 February, kick off 20:45 (C.E.T)

EXEC MEMBERS / SEASON TICKET HOLDERS AND ONE UNITED MEMBERS

The deadline for all applications was 5pm on Friday 19 January and as we have been heavily oversubscribed a ballot will now be held to determine the successful applicants. Priority will be given to those supporters who have attended previous European away games this season.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I wish good luck to those who have applied, I think you'll need it, ballot results Friday 26th January.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Weststandred:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20:

WSR - just out of interest, do you or your old man get United Review at home games? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

sorry for late reply watching prison break. No? And if your next question is do I get a big pepsi and some haribos before the game that is also a no. We may occasionally get one, think we have one for the City game.. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

so cynical icon_frown.gificon_frown.gif

i should have made it clear i wasn't having a dig really, i can understand your apprehension. like they all said, i'm just after the squad numbers on the back of the Villa league programme. cheers anyway.

• 2 weeks later...

If its true that this Aisian bloke wants to buy United then I don't think it would be just to make money. Even though theres a lot of money in football, owning a football club is not actually a good way of making a big profit. The blokes reported to have 15BN anyway so its not like he needs it I think more likely he wants to buy United for the prestige and fame it would give him.

• 3 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by gonch19:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by SirZ:

I know its the agreement but Its just in the business end of such a crucial campaign. I would have thought you lot would have made the effort to keep him. Doesnt seem like you have at all. Could be the difference between winning a trophy or ending up without anything. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

if we really really pushed for it we could keep him, but the bottom line is helsingborgs did us a favour and we are honouring that favour by not trying to take advantage of them. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

yeah, som ereality now please.

there was no 'favour'. we paid a fee for him from helsingborgs. their chairman came stright out and said if we wanted to keep him longer we'd have to pay another fee.

whether he's not staying because of the reasons given publicly - family, honoring his contract with helsingborgs, blah blah blah - or because we won't pony up the dough for another loan spell for a 35 year old striker is a matter for conjecture.

but one thing is for certain, there were no "favours".

• 1 month later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by James07?:

a hard task? icon_biggrin.gif

You could use a random name and number generator and do a better job. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I thought he did? icon_confused.gif

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">help me with the AFFG for Bouazza's effort for Watford and, if you want to be really critical, suggest one for De Rossi's for Roma. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

For Bouazza I had Scholes as AFFG - bit harsh maybe but I thought he could have closed Smith down quicker, not much else he's gonna do other than lift it into the area.

For De Rossi, Ole could have done more to cut out the cross and maybe Wes could have got there quicker, both would be a touch harsh again.

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by James07?:

how long would it take to get a bus from venice to milan? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Only MD could arrange a tour of Venice on a coach icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

i know icon_frown.gif

may have to start sorting these things on my own soon, 6.30am flight followed by about 5 hrs on a coach isnt my ideal way of spending the holiday.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">'Sir Alex Ferguson awoke yesterday morning to a "fuzzy" head and 75 text messages on his mobile phone. He laughed a weary laugh and, deciding that he could wait to find out who the wellwishers were - José Mourinho possibly among them - switched off his phone and drove to Manchester United's training ground, where he was applauded over the threshold by the staff and later, to his apparent bewilderment, by sections of the media.

It has been some time since Ferguson has elicited the kind of back-slapping bonhomie that was in the air at Carrington yesterday. One of his fiercest critics in the media asked whether the 65-year-old had ever felt, as many of us did, that he was in danger of unravelling his reputation the longer he stayed on as manager.

'"No," he said with a smile, "because you lot aren't the best judges. What people said didn't hurt me. I'm experienced enough to know that that's the name of the game and that, if you're not doing well at this club, then you're going to get criticism."

'Dealing with criticism is one thing, but Ferguson has been aware of another adversary in more recent times. "Age," he said. "It creeps up on you quickly. I still think I'm 58. And then all of a sudden you look in the papers and see that you're 65 and I think, 'I can't be that old.' Jesus Christ - somebody wrote that I was 66. It happens with age. You wonder where the years have gone. You wonder how you compare with five or six years ago. I don't notice any dramatic changes in me, although there must be some.

'"Last season I was tired in the sense that I wanted to get on my holiday, get started on this season. There were moments last season when we went on a great run and thought we might just catch Chelsea. And then you draw with Sunderland on a Friday night. That's when you need your holiday.

'"I never thought it was time for someone else," Ferguson said. "We had made the decisions. The thing then was to get it all together."

'The decisions in question included getting rid of Roy Keane and Ruud van Nistelrooy. To outsiders, the failure to find an obvious replacement for either player was baffling. However, insiders have said that it was the best thing that Ferguson did. One source talked yesterday of the liberating effect it had on the younger players, particularly Cristiano Ronaldo, who was finally free to express himself without fear of an ear-bashing from Van Nistelrooy, his fiercest critic.

'Ferguson put it more diplomatically. "We had to make big, important decisions about how we changed the team," he said. "Roy was certainly difficult. He had been such a big influence on the club. I'm not so sure about Van Nistelrooy. That wasn't such a big decision at all. You need a good team spirit in the dressing-room and from Day One this group seemed to gel right away. That was what I wanted. I kept referring to that. The spirit was brilliant and that was important."

'The key will be to ensure that they build on this season's success, which may yet include victory over Chelsea in the FA Cup Final on May 19. The first signing is likely to be Owen Hargreaves, the Bayern Munich midfield player. Old Trafford officials expressed caution yesterday about the prospect of a deal for Hargreaves, citing a £21 million valuation that may prove prohibitive, but formal negotiations between the clubs have reopened over the past 48 hours, with the likelihood that a deal in the region of £19 million will be struck before the end of the season.

'Ferguson, though, indicated that there was still plenty of life left in Giggs, with the winger doubtless drawing inspiration from his manager's longevity. Ferguson insisted that he would not "do a Bobby Robson" and would get out of the game long before his 70th birthday. For Mourinho, Arsène Wenger, Rafael BenÃtez and the rest, that day cannot come quickly enough.' </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

another nice article. papers almost worth reading this week.

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Young Jimlad:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dips:

Think the main reason you are moving early on Nani is because Spurs are making noises about also wanting him.

Surely you can't afford OH, Nani AND Torres? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

More of an ideal scenario for me personally really.

I don't expect the finances of the club to allow for £50mill or so to be spent on those 3 based on the figures that have been banded about but then I didn't really expect us to be in active negotiations for anyone other than Hargreaves at this stage of the summer & as I said above I think its really positive that there are clear indicators of significant investment being made in two of three positions we really need.

The other side is that if we do go for a striker, where are we going to get someone more reliable than Saha fitness wise who will contribute the same amount or more goals for a reasonable fee? Its pretty difficult given the players around in the market at the minute IMO. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think if you do sign Nani then you'll want Defoe from us as he'll be your cheapest option for that position.

Archived