The Manchester United thread 2006/2007 - featuring BBB leaving early

foobR

• Replies 51.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"Cole started his career as a youth player for Arsenal. He made his only appearance for Arsenal as a substitute against Sheffield United at Bramall Lane during a First Division game on December 29, 1990; Arsenal won 4-1 but Cole did not score."

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

'Ferguson has been keen to stress Larsson's arrival does not mark the end of Alan Smith's stay at Old Trafford, even though the £6million former Leeds front-man has not even been seen on the bench since being substituted in the Carling Cup defeat to Southend.

"Alan's future with the club is good," declared Ferguson.

"The problem was we misread the situation when he came back from his injury.

"He did very well in pre-season but after that, there was no progress and we didn't really realise it until we saw him play against Crewe and Southend.

"Now we have got him on a quite intensive speed programme and he is working very hard at that. He knows there is a lot of hard work to do but he is progressing well." </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Mon Smith

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> OLE THRILLED BY LARSSON ARRIVAL

Ole Gunnar Solskjaer has revealed the imminent arrival of fellow Scandinavian Henrik Larsson has sent a ripple of anticipation through Manchester United's star-studded dressing room.

United boss Sir Alex Ferguson pulled off a major coup on Friday when he confirmed Larsson would be joining the Red Devils at the beginning of next month.

Even though the 35-year-old's 10-week stay is only due to encompass 13 matches, such is Larsson's record at Celtic and, latterly Barcelona, many feel he could have the same kind of impact as Eric Cantona did when he landed at Old Trafford in an equally spectacular deal 14 years ago.

Although some may argue many of the 242 goals Larsson scored in 315 appearances at Celtic came against substandard opposition, no would could counter the belief it was the striker's introduction as a substitute that saw Barcelona snatch the Champions League trophy away from Arsenal in Paris last May.

And Solskjaer confirmed even United's multi-talented squad is excited about the prospect of meeting the new arrival.

"When you hear someone like Henrik is coming in, a buzz goes round the dressing room," he said.

"In terms of outfield players, he must be the best Scandinavian player of the last 10 or 15 years, certainly since Michael Laudrup.

"And, if you look around the world and see the players who are available and are also eligible to play in Europe, there is not likely to be anyone better.

"I am really delighted he is coming and am already looking forward to meeting up with him.

"He proved at Celtic and Barcelona he can handle the pressure of being at a top club with big expectations and he is also used to the British style of play.

"You only have to see the way he came out of international retirement and had such an influence on Sweden to see what he can do and I sure he will come in here and have a good influence on us as well."

Those who decry the level of competition north of the border could easily claim there is no way Larsson will get even close to the astonishing scoring levels of his time with Celtic.

However, that would be to ignore his equally impressive tally of 36 goals in 93 appearances for his country.

Solskjaer certainly has no doubts over Larsson's ability to excel on the Premiership stage, or the ease with which his new team-mate will adapt to the frenetic pace of the English game.

"I see no reason at all why he cannot settle quickly make an impact on the Premiership," he said.

"Everyone can see how many goals he scored for Celtic and the hustle bustle of the game in Scotland is very similar to that in England. He is even used to the weather.

"But he has also done it in Europe and overall, I think he will relish the opportunity of coming to Manchester United at such a late stage in his career."

Larsson's arrival will go some way to easing the doubts over United's depth of strikers.

Louis Saha and Wayne Rooney have been carrying the fight manfully since Solskjaer succumbed to a hamstring injury in the narrow Carling Cup win at Crewe a couple of months ago.

Happily, the long-serving Norwegian, who already has six goals to his credit this term, is almost back to full fitness and could be on the bench for Wednesday's make-or-break Champions League encounter with Benfica at Old Trafford.

And, with Alan Smith continuing to plough through his own personal fitness regime and Giuseppe Rossi due back from his loan spell at Newcastle next month, Solskjaer is optimistic about the future.

"We will have strength in our strikers because Alan is looking much better and Giuseppe is due to come back," he said.

"I am not comparing us with anyone but we are happy with what we have and the knowledge Henrik is coming just gives us even more of a lift."

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">"In terms of outfield players, he must be the best Scandinavian player of the last 10 or 15 years, certainly since Michael Laudrup." </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ole so modest <3

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

United fail with fresh bid

Norwegian outfit Haugesund have confirmed that talks with Manchester United over starlet Havard Nordtveit have come to an end without a deal being agreed.

Sir Alex Ferguson had an initial bid for the 16-year-old rejected last month but they had hoped to strike a deal for the central defender - who has also attracted interest from Tottenham and Bordeaux.

"Haugesund and Manchester United have been in negotiations with each other about a possible transfer for Havard Nordtveit," said a Haugesund statement.

"The respective clubs have not come to an agreement, and Manchester United have told us that they will wait and see how Havard's future progresses.

"Both clubs are open for negotiations at a later stage. It might be of interest to send Havard on a few trials to Manchester as well."

Nordtveit, who impressed United during an initial trial spell, insists he is more than happy to still be at Haugesund.

"I'm flattered by the interest from such a club as Manchester United, and my week in Manchester was magnificent," he said.

"However, it's no problem for me at all to stay in Haugesund.

"I feel privileged that I, at such a young age, get the chance to develop in Haugesund's first team squad under a great coach like Rune Skarsfjord. I will work hard, so I can play and develop as much I can in Haugesund." </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by elmonzo:

haha Today FM's clueless presenter said earlier that Kevin Doyle would be a good signing in January icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I wouldnt be opposed to for the right price....

Another 3 points to send us 6 clear. You cant ask for more.

The two things that have come from this though is that Saha needs to be stopped from taking penalties and Heinze shouldnt be starting before Evra.

4 pens for us this season and you couldnt tell any of them apart. 1 saved, 2 keepers have got their hand to and 1 great one. I have no doubt pen #5 with be the same lazy arsed side foot into the same corner and despite what Curbs says Ronaldo should be given the job.

And Heinze fecks up and costs us a goal. Awful header and i just dont understand why Evra isnt starting these games. Paddy has been great this season and while Heinze is good i dont see what he has done to start before Evra.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by batch:

Has BBB gone to the game today ?

I think i gave him a fright when i text him at 3.50 saying i had a sore arse.

Obv didnt know the h/t score icon_frown.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

icon_biggrin.gif

as far as I know no he hasn't gone, don't think anyone off here has tbh.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by 14AlanSmithifb:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by batch:

icon_biggrin.gif

as far as I know no he hasn't gone, don't think anyone off here has tbh. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I also told him that you lot were better than then Liverpool fans at th'JJB this season.

They were just sat in silence when 4-0 up.

He liked that.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by 14AlanSmithifb:

icon_biggrin.gif

as far as I know no he hasn't gone, don't think anyone off here has tbh. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I also told him that you lot were better than then Liverpool fans at th'JJB this season.

They were just sat in silence when 4-0 up.

He liked that. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Liverpool fans worst this season so far at OT as well.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Taz & The Devil:

Why do people in the media keep talking about Ronaldo having a lack of end product, diving all the time and doing way too much showboating?

Its like they havent watched him all season. icon_mad.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

He has been consistently good for about 10 months now, much like the entire team.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mika:

Well frankly who gives a stuff, we all know and all appreciate what a star he is, and that's what counts.

Siege mentalities icon_cool.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

\o/

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Taz & The Devil:

Another 3 points to send us 6 clear. You cant ask for more.

The two things that have come from this though is that Saha needs to be stopped from taking penalties and Heinze shouldnt be starting before Evra.

4 pens for us this season and you couldnt tell any of them apart. 1 saved, 2 keepers have got their hand to and 1 great one. I have no doubt pen #5 with be the same lazy arsed side foot into the same corner and despite what Curbs says Ronaldo should be given the job.

And Heinze fecks up and costs us a goal. Awful header and i just dont understand why Evra isnt starting these games. Paddy has been great this season and while Heinze is good i dont see what he has done to start before Evra. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I honestly believe that it was both Neville and Heinze at fault for the goal.

Neville obviously just going down and having the ball jump over him and Heinze, being alone with 3 opponents lurking near him he half-clears his header only to land to one of the 3 opponents.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JulesMUFC:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by elmonzo:

haha Today FM's clueless presenter said earlier that Kevin Doyle would be a good signing in January icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I wouldnt be opposed to for the right price.... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

What about eight million quid?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JulesMUFC:

I wouldnt be opposed to for the right price.... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

What about eight million quid? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

3-4millish, he is still young and looks like a decent footballer.

But who cares we have Henke

man when did cole play for fulham? completely forgot about that.

also, the commentator said today we have had 12 different scorers in the league. is that true? i can only think of 11 - ferdinand, vidic, o'shea, evra, ronaldo, giggs, scholes, fletcher, rooney, solskjaer, saha. 1 more?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by gonch19:

also, the commentator said today we have had 12 different scorers in the league. is that true? i can only think of 11 - ferdinand, vidic, o'shea, evra, ronaldo, giggs, scholes, fletcher, rooney, solskjaer, saha. 1 more? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Silvestre scored against Watford.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Gazz22:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by gonch19:

also, the commentator said today we have had 12 different scorers in the league. is that true? i can only think of 11 - ferdinand, vidic, o'shea, evra, ronaldo, giggs, scholes, fletcher, rooney, solskjaer, saha. 1 more? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Silvestre scored against Watford. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

top man icon14.gif

with regards ronaldo, i agree with taz. it ****es me off how week in week out they talk about his showboating as if its some sort of cancer to be gotten rid of. part of the reason barely any english players have flair is because they try and stamp it out of players' games for being somehow dishonest and un-english.

as long as he does it at the right time and knows when to pass rather than hold onto the ball (as with the pass to giggs for the 2nd goal for example) then theres no problem with it. and this season that decision making has been as good as ever.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JBS:

Thats the problem; I dont actually wont to go out but fancy the UEFA cup icon_biggrin.gif

Probably be much more gutted to go out next week then after xmas though tbf. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Balls to that. 'Mon another real Treble.

As far as complaints about Ronaldo are concerned, when it comes to showboating, who's been complaining? The only time i recall anything like that was the league cup final. With end product, we've had three years of it being generally poor, against little over three months of it being much better. I don't think it's unreasonable that it will take longer for that perception to go completely, and it already is to some extent. Lawrenson on MOTD tonight saying he's been the player of the season, and he won the fans player of the month for last month, which apparently is an award voted for by the fans of all premiership clubs.

And as for diving, he's certainly been better this season, but today there were at least a couple of occasions that were blatant dives, one for the penalty, and it's simply cheating.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mark g:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by RedBlood:

Is there no match thread?

Anyway all my mates are busy or away today and my sky has been cancelled :\

Do i go to a pub on my own? never done this before and my local is closed for refurb so i can't even go somewhere that im known icon_frown.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I watch most of the games that way. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I watched the 6-1 Arse game in a pubful of Arse fans. Was entertaining. icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BBB:

oh and mark, if it's 3pm games you watch, where do you watch them? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I generally don't. There isn't a pub that i know of round here that has the dodgy satellite. If there's the odd game that's a biggie on a saturday aft, i watch it with my dad in Stockie, but only rarely.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mark g:

As far as complaints about Ronaldo are concerned, when it comes to showboating, who's been complaining? The only time i recall anything like that was the league cup final. With end product, we've had three years of it being generally poor, against little over three months of it being much better. I don't think it's unreasonable that it will take longer for that perception to go completely, and it already is to some extent. Lawrenson on MOTD tonight saying he's been the player of the season, and he won the fans player of the month for last month, which apparently is an award voted for by the fans of all premiership clubs.

And as for diving, he's certainly been better this season, but today there were at least a couple of occasions that were blatant dives, one for the penalty, and it's simply cheating. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

premplus today all curbishley and the presenter talked about was his showboating and how unnecessary it is. calling ronaldo's end product 'generally poor' for the last 3 years is probably a bit harsh imo

And as for diving, he's certainly been better this season, but today there were at least a couple of occasions that were blatant dives, one for the penalty, and it's simply cheating. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

premplus today all curbishley and the presenter talked about was his showboating and how unnecessary it is. calling ronaldo's end product 'generally poor' for the last 3 years is probably a bit harsh imo </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

How would you describe it then?

not seen the game today, general consensus seems to be Ronnie was going to ground a bit easily? obviously can't judge myself, but if he was it's a definite rarity this season as he's cut it out big-time so far. and i'm not going to quibble with getting a dodgy penner when you consider how many stonewall pens we have turned down on a frustratingly regular basis.

utterly delighted with that result anyway, massive banana skin dodged, and the team's showed there's a steel there that's been lacking for quite a while.

FLETCH \O/

Archived