The Manchester United thread 2006/2007 - featuring BBB leaving early

foobR

• Replies 51.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

Owen Hargreaves insists he has no regrets about saying he wants to join Manchester United and is adamant he simply wants to leave Bayern Munich to experience a new league.

The England international expressed his desire to sign for United back in the summer after a solid showing at the World Cup finals in Germany.

Bayern stood firm and refused to sell the midfielder, who then suffered a broken leg during the early weeks of the Bundesliga season.

He is due to return to action in the New Year and Hargreaves has again reiterated that he is interested in moving to Old Trafford.

"I'm at a great, great club already," Hargreaves told The Times. "I don't think people in England realise what a huge club Bayern Munich is.

"I've never once said a bad word about Bayern and I never would. It's not about that.

"It's about the opportunity to possibly play in another league I haven't played in before, which is also the country I represent and where my family lives."

And while Hargreaves concedes his comments may have 'rocked the boat' he stands by his declarations that he wants to move on from Bayern.

He added: "I think I've probably already rocked the boat, to be honest.

"I received a lot of criticism for suggesting it would have been a great opportunity, but sometimes you have to say it.

"I don't feel bad about anything I said or did."

Hargreaves is also aware Sir Alex Ferguson may soon get fed up, concluding:

"Nobody at any club is going to wait for anyone for ever."

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

Roeder eyes Rossi spark

Manchester United youngster Giuseppe Rossi will have the chance to do his parent club a huge favour when he turns out for Newcastle against Chelsea on Wednesday.

The forward has endured a frustrating spell on loan at Newcastle, as he has hardly figured for The Magpies despite their poor form and injury problems.

Rossi is set to head back to Manchester on New Year's Day, but he will have the chance to secure hero status first.

The mounting injury problems on Tyneside are set to prompt Glenn Roeder into deploying Rossi on the right wing and the Magpies chief is hopeful the youngster will be in the mood to impress.

"Young Rossi has every chance of playing, and I know that nothing would give him more pleasure than helping us get something out of Chelsea," Roeder told the Daily Mirror.

"It goes without saying that it would also give his boss Sir Alex Ferguson a lot of pleasure too. He could do his club a big favour.

"I am sure he will be getting plenty of good luck messages from his mates in the North West."

Chelsea go into Wednesday's clash eight points adrift of Manchester United, but Roeder does not believe The Blues will be feeling the pressure.

"This time last year the title race was as good as over," he added. "But this year there is a race on. It looks like both managers are super-confident they will retain or regain the title.

"Chelsea are not under pressure. If I was in the Chelsea camp I would not be feeling it at all.

"They have won it from the front for the last two years and this time it is different with them in second spot - and the fact there is a battle on is good for the neutral.

"Every year you retain the league title it becomes a bigger test the next year, and that's what Chelsea have now to win it a third time. If they do win it, it will be a bigger deal than the last two titles."

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Another 2 minute sub appearence on the cards then?

United join Puerta race

Manchester United have joined the hunt for Sevilla starlet Antonio Puerta after his contract talks stalled.

The 22-year-old is contracted to the Uefa Cup winners until 2008 and Sevilla had been looking to tie him down to a long-term deal.

The majestic left footer has risen to prominence in recent seasons and his progress has already caught the attention of Arsene Wenger - who has been scouting the player in recent months.

Now it is understood that United too, have also begun to keep tabs on the midfielder - who won his first cap for Spain in October, and reports coming back to Sir Alex Ferguson and his back-room staff are believed to have been very favourable.

Both Wenger and Ferguson are also sure to be alerted to the fact that Puerta's talks over a new deal have come to a halt without an agreement being reached.

"It has stalled a little," Puerta revealed. "There are differences.

"There is always toing and froing and we are at that point.

"Everybody wants to improve, but in order for them to give you what you deserve you have to demonstrate it on the pitch and I am trying to do that."

Puerta admitted for the first time that he would need to consider all offers available to him, but Sevilla remain his priority.

"I hope and I want us to reach an agreement so that we can bring an end to this," he said.

"But you always listen to offers because if they are there it is for a reason, it's because you're demonstrating your worth.

"But for me, the first option will always be Sevilla."

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

In my latest FM game United signed this kid. Scored against my Forest side as well. icon_mad.gif

Ronaldo: I've learned my lesson

Cristiano Ronaldo admits he has been guilty of going to the floor too easily in the past but is adamant he has now learned his lesson.

Ronaldo admits the mentality in England is different to the one he was used to on the continent with Sporting Lisbon.

The Portuguese wide man claims the leniency of English referees concerning robust challenges - a point also stressed by team-mate Wayne Rooney - has encouraged simulation.

But, despite claiming to have been on the receiving end of some rough treatment in the Premiership, Ronaldo is determined not to let it affect his game.

"I remember in the first year at United, I was criticised a lot for going to the floor too easily. That was an area of my game where I had to change quite fast," Ronaldo told the Daily Express.

"It was perhaps the biggest lesson I've learned in England. It's a different type of game in Portugal, but the rules should be the same everywhere.

"If it's a free-kick, the referee should give a free-kick. But here, referees choose to ignore fouls a lot of the time.

"The football is different here, with a different mentality and it's not just the players who have grown up with it, but the referees too.

"But I'm not going to stop trying to beat defenders in England. I don't think I should change. I have to be myself.

"Just because the referee doesn't give a free-kick or chooses not to send off someone who deserves it, doesn't mean I should become another player."

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Cristiano absolutely spot on there. A big part of the whole diving problem is the fact that flair players get constantly fouled without penalty. No-one wants to see stop-start games with constant stoppages and free-kicks given for nothing, but when players are being fouled and nothing is given, it's hard to blame them for exaggerating contact and so on.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mika:

Reminds me of Ruud in 2003/2004 against Liverpool, being tugged all over the place, but stayed up and didn't get a pen. Would have been a certain pen had he gone to ground. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oh yeah that was Hypia pulling Ruud back so hard that he almost ripped his shirt and yet no pen was given.

I do think Chelsea will win, but you have to admit Newcastle have hit some good form of late, in both the Premiership and Europe. Another Chelsea slip-up could be on the cards, they are under pressure tonight and if Newcastle can defend well, for the first time ever, I feel they could get something.

Pompey gash away, Blackburn just gash full stop at the minute, Celta no great shakes, ditto Frankfurt. Arsenal are always vulnerable if you can grab a goal, against Citeh they just played for a 0-0. only real impressive result there is Reading, and that was a close-run thing. hardly think Chelsea will be bricking it.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ACou2000:

Yeah Chelsea are gonna SPANK Newcastle tonight.

Oh and new manager syndrome even more confirmed with Curbishley now already in charge. We're not winning on Sunday /o\ </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

What ACou said.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ACou2000:

Yeah Chelsea are gonna SPANK Newcastle tonight.

Oh and new manager syndrome even more confirmed with Curbishley now already in charge. We're not winning on Sunday /o\ </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Too bloody right. He's due against us.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BBB:

Yeah fella, I'll paypal the money over on Friday okay mate? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

do well icon14.gif

and yeah RedBlood, posted yours on Sunday night

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ladle:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BBB:

Yeah fella, I'll paypal the money over on Friday okay mate? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

do well icon14.gif

and yeah RedBlood, posted yours on Sunday night </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Excellent icon14.gif

Archived