The Manchester United thread 2006/2007 - featuring BBB leaving early

foobR

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ?:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mika:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Taz & The Devil:

Why would we sell Rossi? Thats akin to us selling a 19 year old Paul Scholes. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Exactly icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, but if thats where we want to deploy him in future. I havent seen evidence than Fergie is thinking that way. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm referring more to his level of potential rather than his position.

• Replies 51.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ?:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mika:

I take it that you didn't write his Wiki page then, describing his "imposing stature"? icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Just checked and he's 6'2 icon_eek.gif Doesnt look it at all. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm sorry but he does. Shay Given doesnt look 6'2(He is) but Foster looks huge to me.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Taz & The Devil:

Why would we sell Rossi? Thats akin to us selling a 19 year old Paul Scholes. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, but if thats where we want to deploy him in future. I havent seen evidence than Fergie is thinking that way. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm referring more to his level of potential rather than his position. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

True, but AMC is the only position I can see him in the future. What with one Wayne Rooney in his natural 2nd striker role icon_biggrin.gif

I'll tell you what, we're looking at this far too rationally. The fact is that Fergie gave Silvestre a new contract, he picks O'Shea in central midfield and he still hasn't shown Richardson the door. Surely an unfit Smith is a better option for the bench than picking three left-backs and no strikers? He was willing to have Uncle Malc's loan sharks pay over the odds for Carrick rather than Hargreaves. We shouldn't even try to guess what decisions he's going to make in the future icon_biggrin.gif

I'm referring more to his level of potential rather than his position. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yep its his potential we are talking about and his overall footballing ability which reminds most of a young Paul Scholes.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by something less annoying:

Surely an unfit Smith is a better option for the bench than picking three left-backs and no strikers? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Did you see how bad Smith was in the Carling Cup games?

True, but AMC is the only position I can see him in the future. What with one Wayne Rooney in his natural 2nd striker role icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well we're all whining about the lack of squad depth, having Rooney AND Rossi in that position is surely viable?

True, but AMC is the only position I can see him in the future. What with one Wayne Rooney in his natural 2nd striker role icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well we're all whining about the lack of squad depth, having Rooney AND Rossi in that position is surely viable? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, in 5 years if both are world class, will they accept rotation? Rossi Italy international no.10 and Rooney England international no.10. It would be like rotating Robbie Baggio and Totti at club level. icon_biggrin.gif

Nah,still think he's made for the scholes role.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by something less annoying:

Surely an unfit Smith is a better option for the bench than picking three left-backs and no strikers? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Did you see how bad Smith was in the Carling Cup games? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yep. But he was both coming back from injury and no worse than Silvestre or O'Shea.

Well, in 5 years if both are world class, will they accept rotation? Rossi Italy international no.10 and Rooney England international no.10. It would be like rotating Robbie Baggio and Totti at club level. icon_biggrin.gif

Nah,still think he's made for the scholes role. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

So we should sell Rossi in the next 18 months because he could become brilliant and then he wont accept squad rotation?

At least O'Shea is versatile and can do some sort of job. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's rubbish though. Not only does he contribute little himself, he increases the workload on his team mates.

Well we're all whining about the lack of squad depth, having Rooney AND Rossi in that position is surely viable? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Worry about that five years down the line then, rather than selling him for a couple of million to Wigan now icon_biggrin.gif

We had Yorke/Ole/Cole/Sheringham in 1999, why not Saha/Rooney/Rossi/another in 2007?

That's rubbish though. Not only does he contribute little himself, he increases the workload on his team mates. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yea but he creates the ILLUSION of being a versitile player. Throw him in and he'll do a bit of a job in numerous positions.

If it was down to O'Shea versus Mikeh, then O'Shea wins hands down because of the fact that Mikeh cant play midfield.

That's rubbish though. Not only does he contribute little himself, he increases the workload on his team mates. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Whatever I think of O'Shea it doesn't change the fact that I'd rather have him on the bench than a woefully unfit Alan Smith.

Whatever I think of O'Shea it doesn't change the fact that I'd rather have him on the bench than a woefully unfit Alan Smith.

So we should sell Rossi in the next 18 months because he could become brilliant and then he wont accept squad rotation? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nah, start putting him in the Scholes role during rotation.

Rossi can play in any attacking position and make a difference. He's an intelligent footballer. I don't see how Rooney and Rossi can't fit into the same team.

Foster is a rarity in keeping terms. He is a very good shot-stopper but he isn't a "flapper" either. Usually an excellent shot-stopper will flap about and usually cost the team. He has all the raw abilities to become an excellent all-round keeper. The only problem he has is that he's a bit too eager to come off his line.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Gazz22:

The only problem he has is that he's a bit too eager to come off his line. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

So in actual fact he's the anti-Carroll.

Mart - beef with RvN's RI interview is hugely weak. accusing him of lying seems daft given it's his word against that or someone hardly a paragon of truth, and throughout the whole interview he's nothing but utterly respectful and classy towards the club, manager, players and especially the fans.

re: the selection yesterday - i could actually see where fergie was coming from. think Mark said something similar, but with Vida and Scholesy free to play, it made sense to rest the other main centre-back and Scholesy's obvious replacement on saturday. Nev's of an age where he can't play four games in 10 days, Saha's been needing a rest for ages. Ronaldo was the only iffy one really.

thought we were comfortable but flat first half yesterday, Ronnie obviously made a huge difference after the break although Fletch was really unlucky to be the one sacrificed when Rooney had wasted two brilliant passes from him and O'Shea was finding blue and white-clad players with unerring regularity. thought Vida was brilliant, really seemed to step up and take on added responsibility with Rio and Nev out, looked a leader out there and gave nothing away. there was one moment where he was standing waiting for a high-bouncing ball to drop, and Todorov decided to try and shoulder charge him, only succeeding in bouncing off him and ending up in a crumpled heap. thought Paddy was excellent at the back as well, although not unduly threatened.

really impressed with Park, one of the few players who looked a danger first half and carried it through to the end of the game. very clever with his turns which enabled him to find plenty of space, and he was nice and direct. still needs to learn to have a shot now and then, but his form and fitness are clearly on their way back, which is fantastically timed really. O'Shea was largely useless, improved as the team did but once again showed how out of his depth he is in midfield. Fletch wqg as i've said, still didn't stop numpties in the stretty getting on his back incessantly while failing to recognise his positive contributions. infuriates me, might write a rant to one of the fanzines later.

bit bemused by the criticism of Rooney and people suggesting he be dropped. sure, he needs a rest, and his wayward finishing is a bit of a concern, but that aside he was good i thought? worked his arse off (typified by him getting back to break up a dangerous wigan counter attack in the first half), showed some typically neat touches in attack and deserved a goal. far from his best but still extremely useful. Ole was a bit anonymous first half but lacked service as much as anything. contributed loads i thought in the second half, topped off by a typically brilliant finish. everyone's waxed lyrical about Ronaldo already, so i'll just say he was again an absolute joy to watch yesterday.

motm: cristiano ronaldo

2nd: nemanja vidic

haha, just seen the Foster-Carroll comparisons. what?!

as far as i've seen, Foster isn't prone to regular disastrous handling errors, is prone to making the odd outstanding save, and doesn't have a ridiculously inflated view of his own abilities. he's commanding (for a young keeper) and has fantastic distribution. he basically doesn't resemble the useless ulsterman in any way shape or form.

Probably seen by most but its worth a chuckle. Liverpool supporter on a liverpool message board pointing out why Pennant is a better player than that One trick show pony of ours.

http://forums.lfconline.com/showthread.php?t=50923 </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Haha to even compare pennant with Ronaldo is a crime imo. let say he is better. they're just jealous of ronaldo icon_razz.gif

priceless stuff. was expecting just the one joker spouting illegible rot and being laughed at by his fellow bindippers, but he's gone to such lengths that he surely truly believes what he's saying, and there are plenty of others willing to agree. fantastic

Liverpool genuinely seem to have some of the most <STRIKE>deluded</STRIKE> optimistic supporters in the world. I remember the old 'why Le Tallec will be our Ronaldo' from a couple of years back, as well as a classic snippet from a premiership preview in a fanzine from circa 2003 which said (and I kid you not) 'there are only 6 world class players in the premiership - Liverpool have 3 of them'. Keane, Vieira, Henry, Gerrard, Owen and Kewell, for those that were wondering.

Take away Ronaldo's goals (most of which are tap ins or freekicks) and Pennant is the more effective winger.

ga ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha...

ynmiu

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20:

as far as i've seen, Foster isn't prone to regular disastrous handling errors, is prone to making the odd outstanding save, and doesn't have a ridiculously inflated view of his own abilities. he's commanding (for a young keeper) and has fantastic distribution. he basically doesn't resemble the useless ulsterman in any way shape or form. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The problem with trying to judge Foster or any keeper at a mid table or bottom club is that there's dozens of keepers who have the shot stopping etc talent required to play at the highest level. The thing that sets the great keepers apart from the rest is the ability to pull off the great save required when you've had nothing to do for half an hour, and unfortunately you have no way to judge that until they are in that arena. Basically, we won't know if Foster is up to the job until he's played for us for a season or two.

Concentration is is the key, and it won't be tested at Watford.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mark g:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20:

as far as i've seen, Foster isn't prone to regular disastrous handling errors, is prone to making the odd outstanding save, and doesn't have a ridiculously inflated view of his own abilities. he's commanding (for a young keeper) and has fantastic distribution. he basically doesn't resemble the useless ulsterman in any way shape or form. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The problem with trying to judge Foster or any keeper at a mid table or bottom club is that there's dozens of keepers who have the shot stopping etc talent required to play at the highest level. The thing that sets the great keepers apart from the rest is the ability to pull off the great save required when you've had nothing to do for half an hour, and unfortunately you have no way to judge that until they are in that arena. Basically, we won't know if Foster is up to the job until he's played for us for a season or two.

Concentration is is the key, and it won't be tested at Watford. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

you're preaching to the converted with that. still don't think there's any resemblance to Carroll.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mark g:

Concentration is is the key, and it won't be tested at Watford. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

you're preaching to the converted with that. still don't think there's any resemblance to Carroll. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't know about his view of his own abilities before he came, but AFAIK Carroll did pull off the odd outstanding save and wasn't prone to handling errors before he came to us.

Just noticed the Glasgow Rangers thread just above this one, which reminds me of what i wanted to ask.

Given the amount of support there has always been for Le Guen in our next manager debates, how many people think we dodged a bullet now we've seen him for 6 months in British football, and how many think it's only a matter of time before he turns it round up there?

Archived