The Manchester United thread 2006/2007 - featuring BBB leaving early

foobR

• Replies 51.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ACou2000:

Well I've applied for ~12/13 games this season

got 3. one of which was Boxing Day and went on general sale. another of which is the Villa Cup game next Sunday, also on general sale.

basically - being a member ifs icon_frown.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

So ignoring games not on general sale, you're looking at like a 1 in 10 ratio? That's awful icon_mad.gif.

What the deuce is the gogo thing?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Weststandred:

alilaw, you could probably go to a lot of the games, but you'd have to fork out £50 and be in the 'Manchester suite' and all that turd. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oh yeah, I'd forgotten about that. Padded chairs! Wow, I bet there'd be a brilliant atmosphere in that area.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by alilaw:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Weststandred:

alilaw, you could probably go to a lot of the games, but you'd have to fork out £50 and be in the 'Manchester suite' and all that turd. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oh yeah, I'd forgotten about that. Padded chairs! Wow, I bet there'd be a brilliant atmosphere in that area. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

well I think (not sure) them seats are at the bottom of the new quads, so you could be next to the Stretford End.

Viagogo is basically legalised touting, its a bit of a rip off.

Your more than welcome to use my one united membership if you want Ali, ive hardly applied to any games because im lazy really and i know i can get tickets from mart or various other sources.

The ticket office is a ****ing shambles and with the increased amounts of STs being a one united member is pretty much pointless. Join RI forums or else where for a tenner and you can get tickets mucho easier than going through offical channels.

yeah TO shambles scenario #4609406:

I phoned the automated line to see if I got tickets for the Villa league game in 2 weekends time.

Applied for them about 3/4 weeks ago.

The 'latest ballot results' are still my failure to get tickets for the READING game \o/\o/\o/

Let’s have one of those stupidly inane hypothetical questions....

We WILL get beaten by Villa in one of the two games. Which would you prefer to loose? FA Cup or league game?

If you say the league, is that because you are a super optimistic BBB type and think those points can / will be made up or are you a Mika and think the PL is an impossible dream so we may as well focus on something that’s actually winnable?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JulesMUFC:

Viagogo is basically legalised touting, its a bit of a rip off.

Your more than welcome to use my one united membership if you want Ali, ive hardly applied to any games because im lazy really and i know i can get tickets from mart or various other sources.

The ticket office is a ****ing shambles and with the increased amounts of STs being a one united member is pretty much pointless. Join RI forums or else where for a tenner and you can get tickets mucho easier than going through offical channels. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Cheers Jules. I've still got a few people I know from my time at university who used to be able to lay their hands on tickets and I'll talk to them over the week. But yeah, RI might be the best option, although I'd imagine it'd take a while to become an established enough member of the forums before people are sorting me out.

tbh lads, I don't care about the football, it's really all about seeing the wall with my own two eyes.

I'd rather lose the Cup game. Realistically for the league it's us or Chelsea, whereas in the cup we could easily draw Arsenal/Liverpool or Chelsea next round and get knocked out.

That's really badly worded, but I know what I mean. Basically I don't trust us in knockouts anymore, so I'd rather we accumulated league points.

The league is the priority. At the start of the season, if you said you can have one but only one trophy, that's what most people would have gone for. So to shift priorities in january with the minimum of a 4 point lead would be criminal, regardless of how optimistic/pessimistic you are.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by No Longer Bling:

lose the cup game easily. wont be happy if we do but given the position were in now a season of finishing second and winning the fa cup is not a good one. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't know. Depending on how far behind Chelsea we were and what we did in Europe, that situation could be deemed a good season. Obviously it wouldn't FEEL good knowing we had a lead and threw it away, but as James pointed out in another thread, the fixture list so far puts us in a better position than we probably are.

Don't know if its already been posted; I tried to check but couldn't see it.

Apologies if it has.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Manchester United boss Sir Alex Ferguson has been named as the most powerful pensioner in the world.

Sir Alex, who is 65 on Sunday, pipped the Dalai Lama and Nelson Mandela to win the title.

Second on the list was the 80-year-old environmentalist and wildlife presenter David Attenborough.

The Queen and Formula One racing chief Bernie Ecclestone, 76, also featured in the top five in the survey of professionals compiled by Virgin Money.

Pele, Sir Bobby Charlton, Terry Wogan and feminist and academic Germaine Greer are named in the list.

Rupert Murdoch is put ahead of fashion designers Vivienne Westwood, Ralph Lauren and broadcaster Trevor MacDonald.

Gordon Lishman, director general of Age Concern said: "This report highlights just a few of the many successful older people in the world and shows that later life really doesn't have to be a time for pipes and slippers.

"Older people have a vast amount to contribute to society and should be able to continue working well into their older age if they want to."

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oh, and I think I'd rather lose the cup game.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by alilaw:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by No Longer Bling:

lose the cup game easily. wont be happy if we do but given the position were in now a season of finishing second and winning the fa cup is not a good one. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't know. Depending on how far behind Chelsea we were and what we did in Europe, that situation could be deemed a good season. Obviously it wouldn't FEEL good knowing we had a lead and threw it away, but as James pointed out in another thread, the fixture list so far puts us in a better position than we probably are. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

at the start of the seasons id definitely have took it. in all honesty i didnt have us getting close to chelsea yet alone leading at the halfway stage.

false position or not based on the respective games played, i cant see how the fa cup and another second would be considered a successful season now. have no interest in the fa cup anyway unless its alongside another trophy.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Neil Purvis:

Man Utd disrespecting the FA Cup again. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Pulling out was less disrespectful to the competition than your last couple of final 'performances' were.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Neil Purvis:

Thought I’d get a bite but didn’t expect it to be you Mark. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I had a spare 5 minutes and fancied a bit of banter icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

Manchester United have been told to forget about signing Rino Gattuso from Milan at the end of the season.

The Premiership giants have been constantly associated with the Italian international, but his representative can’t see a switch taking place.

“United have made numerous attempts to net Gattuso, but I think I can say that Milan will start the new season with him,†agent Claudio Pasqualin told Teleradiostereo Sport.

The former Perugia, Rangers and Salernitana man joined the Rossoneri in the summer of 1999.

Manchester United have been looking for a new central midfielder for some time and are expected to make a fresh bid for Bayern Munich’s Owen Hargreaves.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, the annual Gattuso rumours begin

Our squad cannot cope with a run in 3 competitions.

I want the league & nothing else. Don't care if Villa knock us out of the cup (they have to get something out of one of the 3 games surely?) & I don't mind us going out of Europe next round against a bigger team.

We cannot sustain challenges on all fronts. Well if Richardson & O'Shea remember they are footballers we might have a chance on two fronts but that's very unlikely.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by James M:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

Manchester United have been told to forget about signing Rino Gattuso from Milan at the end of the season.

The Premiership giants have been constantly associated with the Italian international, but his representative can’t see a switch taking place.

“United have made numerous attempts to net Gattuso, but I think I can say that Milan will start the new season with him,†agent Claudio Pasqualin told Teleradiostereo Sport.

The former Perugia, Rangers and Salernitana man joined the Rossoneri in the summer of 1999.

Manchester United have been looking for a new central midfielder for some time and are expected to make a fresh bid for Bayern Munich’s Owen Hargreaves.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, the annual Gattuso rumours begin </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

As much as I love Rino, he's just too old for me.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by James M:

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, the annual Gattuso rumours begin </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm surprised that hasn't been tied in with the 'Gabby to AC' rumours i read this morning.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Coldberg:

Our squad cannot cope with a run in 3 competitions.

I want the league & nothing else. Don't care if Villa knock us out of the cup (they have to get something out of one of the 3 games surely?) & I don't mind us going out of Europe next round against a bigger team.

We cannot sustain challenges on all fronts. Well if Richardson & O'Shea remember they are footballers we might have a chance on two fronts but that's very unlikely. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've seen no evidence to suggest Kieran Richardson is a footballer.

At least O'Shea was good for a couple of months half a decade ago.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Ryan Giggs insists United's ambition for the season extends beyond reclaiming the Premiership title from Chelsea.

Seven points clear of the Blues and in the last 16 of the Champions League, Giggs says a dream double is on the agenda for the Reds.

"It's something we will certainly try," he told Uefa magazine. "Our aim is to win the Premiership and Champions League, and we're confident if we keep our form up we'll have a great chance.

"There are some real top teams left in (Europe) and it is a very tough competition to win. You need everything going for you. You need to play well and need that little bit of luck."

Giggs claims the return of United's injured stars, together with the burgeoning maturity of the side's younger players, could prove pivotal.

"We have got the players to do it," he said. "Having Scholesy back, the addition of Michael Carrick, and also having Gabriel Heinze, Alan Smith and Solskjaer back is crucial.

"All these players have strengthened our squad. Also, young players like Fletcher, Ronaldo and Wayne Rooney have all grown up an extra year.

"We need to be more consistent and with the added experience and maturity we've started to find that."

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by James07?:

balls, you know what I mean.

40% of my post count is made up of correcting my own mistakes. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

40% of Ryan's is made by having a go at me correcting my mistakes, if he did yours as well he could be retired by next Christmas.

Veterans to start for United

Henrik Larsson will make his Manchester United debut alongside fellow Scandinavian, Ole Gunnar Solskjaer, against Aston Villa.

Veteran Swedish striker Larsson has completed a 10-week loan move to United from Helsingborgs.

He is eligible to make his debut in Sunday's FA Cup third round tie against Villa at Old Trafford.

And Larsson is set to be partnered in attack by Norwegian stalwart Solskjaer, who sat out the New Year's Day draw at Newcastle.

Sir Alex Ferguson explained his reasoning behind dropping Solskjaer, but confirmed he would be restored to the team to face Villa.

"I didn't take Ole to Newcastle because he has played two games in four days," said Ferguson.

"I thought he would be better resting ready for Sunday's match.

"He will play along with Larsson."

The duo will get the chance to start in the cup tie after Louis Saha was ruled out for a fortnight with a groin injury. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sorry if this is an old story (And it is, two weeks old except I only saw it now; not seen it on here but then again I don't read this thread much), but apparently the Larsson transfer isn't a loan at all, it's a somewhat strange "permanent" transfer. Basicly, a loan that short would violate some FIFA rule regarding international loans, so in order to make Larsson eligible both for his United spell and the start of the Swedish league, the clubs had to structure a rather strange deal. Larsson is a United player from today on, but United have signed an agreement to release him when the "loan" ends, and Larsson has signed an agreement saying he will sign a new contract with Helsingborg once that happens.

Now obviously in practice this will work like any other loan deal, just thought it was at least a tiny bit interesting.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Lathund:

Sorry if this is an old story (And it is, two weeks old except I only saw it now; not seen it on here but then again I don't read this thread much), but apparently the Larsson transfer isn't a loan at all, it's a somewhat strange "permanent" transfer. Basicly, a loan that short would violate some FIFA rule regarding international loans, so in order to make Larsson eligible both for his United spell and the start of the Swedish league, the clubs had to structure a rather strange deal. Larsson is a United player from today on, but United have signed an agreement to release him when the "loan" ends, and Larsson has signed an agreement saying he will sign a new contract with Helsingborg once that happens.

Now obviously in practice this will work like any other loan deal, just thought it was at least a tiny bit interesting. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Maybe thats why he was ineligble for yesterdays game?

hee hee, check this beauty out from the Barcodes forums

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Happy New Year

Good performance, good result. Aren't the people who make up Man U's away support a complete load of tossers? I just can't work out what their motives are. The Toon fans at Everton on Saturday were as ever a mixed bunch. But they were predominantly there to show their support for their team and to have a good time. Contrast that with the Man U fans at St James'. Not a single top or scarf between them. What's all that about? The bunch of 10 or so who were in the back room in Spoons were there with the sole intention of antagonising the Toon fans in the pub. Obviously it would have been nice to have seen them get tw@tted, but it was much better really that everyone just totally ignored them. It's a pity that the Man U fans hadn't tried the same trick in the Adelphi. But then again, they wouldn't would they?

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Archived