The Manchester United thread 2006/2007 - featuring BBB leaving early

foobR

dom coming into the united thread having ironic digs at scousers. what a turncoat.

sitting next to the single most depressing united fan in work.

refuses to give liverpool the time of day, says the sun stuff is all true, claims that everything at united is rosey and that the glaziers are good, even dismisses all the ammo i get from the pessimism in this thread.

think i'll refuse to appease him for another second and just say '5 times' whenever he says anthing to me.

he's from suffolk ftr :*)

• Replies 51.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Manchester United will try to sign Blackburn's David Bentley - if their move for Owen Hargreaves falls through. (Daily Mirror) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

WTF?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Pickles:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Manchester United will try to sign Blackburn's David Bentley - if their move for Owen Hargreaves falls through. (Daily Mirror) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

WTF? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, Bentley, just the same type of player as Hargreaves

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Pickles:

Do these journalists just get really bored some days and make up absolute toilet </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well they have to write something because the papers are going to be printed whether there's any news or not

for the record, just so i know for future reference, why are the glaziers bad for united? things like ticket prices won't suffice as this beaut doesn't go the match anyway (obv).

he claims that there is money to spend, and the reason you haven't spent that much so far is because you haven't needed to.

forget all the stuff about different types of loans and scale of debt and corporation tax and all the other cr*p.

If the Glazer's have to make a decision that's bad for the club but beneficial to them, then as businessmen there's only one outcome. Is he happy with that?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Saha:

so more 'we're looking at players' ******** then or something else? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The reporter made it out as if it was more than just looking at players

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

Hargreaves has made no secret of his desire to join Man Utd

Bayern Munich will consider selling Owen Hargreaves to Manchester United - but not for less than £20m.

Bayern president Franz Beckenbauer told German newspaper Bild that if an offer of that size was tabled "we would have to think about it".

Beckenbauer added: "That is a figure that would allow us to be active in the transfer market."

Hargreaves has just been told that he is not ready to return to full training as he recovers from a broken leg.

The 25-year-old sustained the injury in a league match against Arminia Bielefeld in September and had hoped to return in January.

It is normal to want to keep a player who has just extended his contract

Franz Beckenbauer

But he is now unlikely to be ready to play against Borussia Dortmund when the Bundesliga restarts after its winter break on 26 January.

Hargreaves had hoped to return to full training with his Bayern team-mates, who are on a training camp in Dubai.

However, tests on his leg revealed the healing process was not as advanced as previously predicted and he will instead only take part in light training.

Hargreaves has been repeatedly linked with United over recent months - with the player admitting he would relish a move to Old Trafford.

Bayern had previously stated that they would not sell a player who last season signed a contract to keep him at the club until 2010.

And Beckenbauer added: "It is normal to want to keep a player who has just extended his contract and who only wants to join another club because they will pay him better."

Hargreaves has always maintained that his desire to play in the Premiership is not motivated by money.

The England midfielder said: "It's about the opportunity to possibly play in another league I haven't played in before, which is also the country I represent and where my family lives.

"It's not like I'm saying I want to go to AC Milan or Inter Milan because they're offering me more money.

"It's because it's England and because Britain is where my family is. My parents and my brothers are in Canada, but the whole of my dad's side of the family is in Bolton and my mum's side is in Rhyl.

"I think some people don't realise that. They think I'm half-German or something, but I'm not. I was brought up by a British family. It just happened to be in Canada."

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Pretty much Mart's story from the BBC

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by benkeat:

been kicking arse here boys. the best response he's mustered is 'the glaziers are going to want to ensure that the team is successful otherwise they won't make any money'. pretty weak. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

While that is true it begs the question, "What is Success?"

While we might see league and European titles as success they might consider top 4 finishes and passing the CL group stage every year as success and the later requires a lot less investment.

"I've recalled one or two young players that have been out on loan," he added, "and we may sign somebody else in January. Who knows? We may make a couple of signings. But I do think we have the squad to handle the games coming up."

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by benkeat:

been kicking arse here boys. the best response he's mustered is 'the glaziers are going to want to ensure that the team is successful otherwise they won't make any money'. pretty weak. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

This is, to an extent, true. However, the Glazers will look at success from a purely financial point of view, and up at the top there's not all that much of a difference. For example (and hypothetically speaking), people might think that the difference between us finishing 2nd and 1st next year, from a playing perspective, is say one new winger and one new central midfielder. Spend £30 odd million there, and we'd win the title. However, winning the title probably won't net us £30 million extra than if we came second. So the Glazers are unlikely to sanction the purchases. For them, 'nearly winning' is almost the same financially as winning.

And of course the MAJOR stick to beat the Glazers with is that, if we **** up one season (go out of Europe in the pre-qualifyers say) and can't meet our £60 odd million bank payments, we'll have to sell some players to recoup the difference. Which in turn would lead to a weakened squad, and less probability of success next season. So once again we miss our payment, sell more players etc etc, and so on. 'The Leeds Sprial', as it's known, only 6 times worse.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BBB:

"I've recalled one or two young players that have been out on loan," he added, "and we may sign somebody else in January. Who knows? We may make a couple of signings. But I do think we have the squad to handle the games coming up." </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

fergie you handsome devil, and you thought you could keep it from us icon_cool.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by alilaw:

This is, to an extent, true. However, the Glazers will look at success from a purely financial point of view, and up at the top there's not all that much of a difference. For example (and hypothetically speaking), people might think that the difference between us finishing 2nd and 1st next year, from a playing perspective, is say one new winger and one new central midfielder. Spend £30 odd million there, and we'd win the title. However, winning the title probably won't net us £30 million extra than if we came second. So the Glazers are unlikely to sanction the purchases. For them, 'nearly winning' is almost the same financially as winning.

And of course the MAJOR stick to beat the Glazers with is that, if we **** up one season (go out of Europe in the pre-qualifyers say) and can't meet our £60 odd million bank payments, we'll have to sell some players to recoup the difference. Which in turn would lead to a weakened squad, and less probability of success next season. So once again we miss our payment, sell more players etc etc, and so on. 'The Leeds Sprial', as it's known, only 6 times worse. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

oh yes, i like this one. thanks.

I have never been in here before, about time I did.

Fergie wants to make 2 signings in the Jan transfer window, who do people think theh should be?

Is Darren Bent a possibility? I think he could do well at OT, yeh he's injured atm, but only for a month and IMO would be a very handy player to have for the run in. He'll be fit again around the time Larsson fecks off anyway.

Owen Hargreaves is a player I would like to see here too. And Franck Ribery.

On a final note, IMO, our best 4 players this season have been, in no particular order:

Edwin Van Der Sar

Paul Scholes

Nemanja Vidic

Cristiano Ronaldo

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by James07?:

here's a question

list all the players who have officially worn each 1-11 squad number since they were introduced. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

i'm gonna go with this. not entirely sure about 5 & 6, but I'm sure Blanc switched from one to the other when we signed Rio.

1 - Schmeichel, Bosnich, Barthez, van der Sar

2 - Parker, Neville G

3 - Irwin, Neville P, Evra

4 - Bruce, May, Veron, Heinze

5 - Sharpe, Johnsen, Blanc, Ferdinand

6 - Pallister, Stam, Blanc, Brown

7 - Cantona, Beckham, Ronaldo

8 - Ince, Butt, Rooney

9 - McClair, Cole, Saha

10 - Hughes, Beckham, Sheringham, van Nistelrooy

11 - Giggs

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by James07?:

Rene Meulensteen has resigned from Brondby... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Do the right thing Fergie.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Taz & The Devil:

I read about this this morning in the gossip bit of some website but more places are now reporting that Bardsley is set to snub Sunderland and join Villa on loan.

I was hoping it would be a permanent move. icon_frown.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Prefer Simpson then?

sitting next to the single most depressing united fan in work. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oi.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Richardson - not gone to plan

Friday, January 5, 2007

"It hasn’t gone to plan. I want to play all the time. I love pulling on the red shirt and playing for United. At the moment though the team is so strong and doing so well that it’s hard to break into the side. Everyone has been playing out of their skins so far this season – in every position. So it’s been disappointing but the team is the most important thing and they’ve been getting the results. The first eleven know that there’s me and others players breathing down their necks and that is hopefully going to get the best out of everyone. I enjoyed that run of games and it was good to score a few goals. That shows me that I can do it and I’ll be aiming to repeat that this season. It was an important time for me and hopefully the FA Cup can start me a on a run of matches like that again. We’ve got a good strong squad and the manager won’t hesitate in giving us a game when he feels he has to freshen things up. It is then up to us to perform and make it hard for him to drop us. It’s that competition for places we need.†</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

We know icon_frown.gif

Archived