The Manchester United thread 2006/2007 - featuring BBB leaving early

foobR

• Replies 51.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mika:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Sheer Class:

Funnily enough I would take a draw to get you back to our place... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The thing is, no disrespect to Portsmouth but the biggest fear I have in these sorts of games is what Fergie will do with the team. He's generally been better recently but there's always the chance that he'll shuffle the team about and play the likes of Richardson and O'Shea. We'll see I guess. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think you just made sure he'll do just that. Wp, Mika. icon_biggrin.gif

But we'll whack 'em, anyway.

Right - the wall on Saturday.

Who's gonna be there, then ?

Acou ?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Weststandred:

Trafford is a good pub, I go in there most home games it's huuuuuge but a fair walk to the ground. icon_frown.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think your thinking of the Trafford Hotel, Eddie means the Trafford pub which is only about 5 minutes from OT icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by 14AlanSmithifb:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Weststandred:

Trafford is a good pub, I go in there most home games it's huuuuuge but a fair walk to the ground. icon_frown.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think your thinking of the Trafford Hotel, Eddie means the Trafford pub which is only about 5 minutes from OT icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, Eddie's not fuppin' daft. icon_biggrin.gif

Going back to the previous page. The first goal I ever remember being scored by a United player is that Hughes one against Oldham.

Was sat in my dad's cousins pub watching it on the big screen. Pub went crazy when the goal went in & my dad's cousin turned it over right at the fulltime whistle cos he was an Oldham supporter icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Coldberg:

Going back to the previous page. The first goal I ever remember being scored by a United player is that Hughes one against Oldham.

Was sat in my dad's cousins pub watching it on the big screen. Pub went crazy when the goal went in & my dad's cousin turned it over right at the fulltime whistle cos he was an Oldham supporter icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Bobby Charlton during the '66 WC. Against Portugal, iirc.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20:

trafford sounds good if fatty's not turning up </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

And it won't matter if it's freezing outside. icon14.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BBB:

naw dude, got 3 fulham though \o/ </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Didn't get any Lille?

Didn't you use loads of numbers to apply

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Stoke seal loan deal for Martin

Stoke have completed the signing of Manchester United winger Lee Martin on loan until the end of the season.

The 19-year-old, who made 10 appearances in a loan spell with Rangers earlier this season, could make his debut for the Potters in Saturday's FA Cup clash with Fulham.

Martin was brought to Old Trafford for £1million from Wimbledon when he was just 16, and he has since played only one competitive match for the Red Devils, in last season's Carling Cup win over Barnet.

He joins a City side sitting sixth in the Championship with their hopes of promotion in tact, beaten only once in their last five games. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Cantona has lost it

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> "For sure they will be champions," Cantona told the BBC's North West Tonight programme.

"It's a new era, a new generation. They have a great team but they have a lot to prove. They need to do it.

"United have been brave from the start and have a good atmosphere, where they work very well with young players like Wayne Rooney, John O'Shea and Cristiano Ronaldo." </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

only thing I hate about the fa cup is the underdog stuff, the papers doing this sort of thing

Wayne Rooney V Joe Bloggs

Wage 50,000 35p

car ferrari ford fiesta

house mansion a tent

every ****ing year, really ****es me off

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Football club Manchester United has reported flat profits for the season 2005/06, the first in which the Glazer family was at the helm.

Operating profit for the 12 months to 30 June 2006 was £49.7m ($98m), against a £46.1m profit in the prior reporting period, which only covered 11 months.

United was hit by the impact of exiting the Champions League at the first stage - saying it cost them £2.8m in revenue.

CEO David Gill said the club was now poised for "dramatic revenue growth".

'Sell-out crowds'

US tycoon Malcolm Glazer bought United for £790m in 2005, in a deal that was heavily financed through debt, much of it transferred onto the club.

Since June 2006 the club has been reaping the benefit of its four-year £56.5m shirt sponsorship deal with AIG, and seen match day revenue increase with the growth in its Old Trafford stadium capacity from 68,000 to 76,000.

In addition, the latest round of domestic TV football rights, signed last summer, have generated £1.7bn ($3.1bn) in total for Premier League clubs.

The new Premier League TV deal for 2007-10 could see a 65% increase in Premiership TV money for every top flight club, according to Barclays Capital.

After the club revealed its latest figures Mr Gill said: "With sell-out crowds at the extended Old Trafford and record sponsorship deals like AIG, Manchester United can look forward to a future marked by dramatic revenue growth."

Transfer deal

Profit before tax was £30.8m, up from £10.8m, with £12m of that secured from the sale of Nigerian youngster Jon Obi Mikel to Chelsea.

And turnover at United, which last year lost its place at the top of the Deliotte world rich list of football clubs, was £165.4m, against £157.2m in the period before.

United said that during the 2005/06 period it paid £1.8m in fees to agents, against £2.6m in the previous 11 month period.

The club also said it had 64,000 season-ticket holders and a waiting list of 10,000 more.

In July last year the Glazers were also able to secure a refinancing package which saw loan charges on sums, borrowed by the Glazers to buy the club, fall from £90m ($164m) a year to £62m.

As part of the restructuring plan, overall borrowings went up from £580m to £660m, but the club reassured fans - many concerned at the level of debt - that the moves were "good housekeeping". </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

wp uncle malc

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BBB:

only thing I hate about the fa cup is the underdog stuff, the papers doing this sort of thing

Wayne Rooney V Joe Bloggs

Wage 50,000 35p

car ferrari ford fiesta

house mansion a tent

every ****ing year, really ****es me off </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

fair enough

but if you can ignore the sh*tty media coverage it's still a good competition

I like it anyway

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> The club are in a very healthy position. Our attendances are now the envy of European, not just UK football and with a burgeoning season ticket waiting list, watching United at Old Trafford is still in great demand.

"The future is promising for the club. We continue to operate by budgeting sensibly and managing our affairs through stable business practices.

"Success on the pitch will always be a driver for success off it and from this base, the club are healthily placed to begin a period of renewed growth."

Gill insisted United would not fleece fans despite the demand for season tickets.

He added: "The club remain committed to making top-class football affordable and structures its prices accordingly." </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Waiting list icon_biggrin.gif

Excellent stuff Gill, fail to mention you were whoring the Season Ticket's to everyone, including Season Ticket holders themselves.

Structures, mmmkay, I guess that means the first few rows of West/East lower being £23, wonder what the next seasons price will be eh.

Just watching the Treble DVD and was thinking that in just in one season we had -

2 utterly awesome 3-3 draws with Barcelona

Beating Inter at OT with 2 first first half goals, made it look SO easy

Giggs' last minute against Juventus in the semi first leg at OT

The most ridiculous FA Cup semi final game you'll ever see, had it ALL

The Juventus 2nd leg comeback

The 2 goals in 2 minutes against Munich to win the CL

A fair few games were we scored over 4 goals in a game

Sexual football

Yorke and Cole getting over 20 goals each

Hammering Forest 8-1 with Ole scoring 4 after coming off the bench!

The 2 goal revival against the chicken dippers in the fa cup

Skause can harp on about 5 times forever but they'll never have a season like that.

fantastic stuff icon_smile.gif

We pace ourselves icon_cool.gif

Besides, 2001 was pretty immense (ignoring the relative worth of the trophies, simply going by the actual 90 minutes... Or more as the case was).

5-4 golden goal winner in the UEFA,

late comeback to win the FA cup,

penalty win in the CC,

Last minute winner vs Everton,

Doing the double over you,

Beating Arsenal 4-0 at Anfield,

Beat Barcelona at home,

Beat Roma away easily,

The penalty that never was vs Roma at home (icon_cool.gif).

Not a shabby little season.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

Real Madrid will offer £35m for the Manchester United winger Cristiano Ronaldo this summer, according to sources close to the club's sporting director, Pedrag Mijatovic.

The Spanish side expect United to stonewall advan-ces for their biggest asset but are banking on the player's head being turned by the prospect of becoming the club's biggest signing since the capture of Zinedine Zidane from Juventus in 2001 and the prospect of replacing David Beckham, not just on the pitch but off it as the new face of Real.

A £35m deal would be the third biggest of all time, behind Zidane's £44m move and Luis Figo's £37m switch from Barcelona to Real.

Ronaldo, who will be 22 in February, appeared to have one foot in the Bernabeu last summer when, after clashing with Wayne Rooney at the World Cup, he became English football's public enemy No 1. While still in Germany with the Portuguese team, he was alleged to have offered his services to the then Real Madrid presidential candidate Juan Miguel Villar Mir, who promised to sign him if he won the election.

Ronaldo was quoted as saying: "I have told my agent I am prepared to leave. I want to do it in the best manner possible. I want to play for Real and dream of doing so. I have gone with Villar Mir's project because it is serious and follows correct procedures. They have explained to me their plans and the next step is they will talk to Manchester United."

Villar Mir lost the election, however, and Ronaldo flew back to Manchester to patch up his differences with Rooney. The fact that he has performed for United so superbly has only heightened Madrid's interest in a player whose current deal runs to 2010, and a source close to Mijatovic said last night: "The club have decided to make an offer for Ronaldo that will be very difficult to refuse".

Ronaldo's former United team-mate Ruud van Nistelrooy believes that if the player decides he wants to move, that will have a greater bearing on the situation than United's reluctance to sell.

"If the player is aware of the situation and doesn't want to stay [at Old Trafford] anymore, then anything can happen," he said. "United definitely won't give up Ronaldo very easily. But it's also in the player's hands. That will make a massive impact on the situation."

Van Nistelrooy said he would welcome Ronaldo's arrival despite the pair's differences in the past. He said: "There wasn't much that happened between us in Manchester. It was all blown up a bit. There were a lot of lies said about it. He's a fantastic player. This is his best season so far at United.

"He's scoring a lot of goals and playing very well. He's still very young but physically and technically he has everything. It's a situation for Madrid and United to sort out. We have a great squad but great players are always welcome."

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

fuuuck off madrid/ruud.

I'll cry if we sell him.

Oh ffs, I don't want to have to put up with this until the transfer window closes.

I don't think he'll leave. The stuff he's said in the press this season about his reasons behind why he wanted to leave last year all make sense, the way he's been talking has suggested he feels a sense of gratitude to and belonging to the United Coaches, Players & Fans.

I would be very disappointed if he were to leave, however, i do think this is all from Real Madrid as opposed to the player.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">The club also said it had 64,000 season-ticket holders and a waiting list of 10,000 more. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Isn't that a flat out lie?

Thing is, WHY would he want to go, he's playing the best football of his life, why leave us for Madrid, aside from the sun, look at Beckham, went there to win stuff and what did he win? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I hope he doesn't go, and i'm not saying he will want to, but asking why would he want to go is burying your head in the sand.

Once he's playing outside portugal, Spain is the nearest thing by far in terms of weather, culture and simple geography to get home more often. And Real Madrid are, heritage wise at least, the biggest and most glamorous club in the world if you're from the iberian peninsular. Don't forget that footballers perceptions of clubs are often built in the same way as fans are, i.e how big the club is while you're growing up, and the current malaise of the last few seasons is easy to put down as a temporary blip on those terms.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Darren Ferguson's job interview, such as it was, lasted getting on for an hour and a half - on the telephone. In fact he had more questions to ask of Peterborough United's chairman Darragh MacAnthony than he had to answer, but in the end just two things convinced him that now was the time to follow his famous father into management.

The first was the 30-year-old overseas property millionaire's obvious ambition, together with his readiness to take on board Ferguson's insistence on the need to build from the bottom up. The second was that not once in the entire conversation was the famous father mentioned.

It is not that Ferguson is not prepared to talk about Sir Alex, but he did want to be certain MacAnthony's confidence was in him as an individual. "If he'd brought up my father there would have been a problem," he said after training at London Road yesterday. "The bottom line is it's me who succeeds or fails here, so if they want me, great, but I do it my way."

There is no undue emphasis on the "my". When your father is such an obviously valuable source of advice and you get on with each other, it would be daft not to take advantage of the relationship. So yes, he says equably, he's spoken to his dad a number of times recently. But he's also consulted other managers, younger men including Adrian Boothroyd, David Moyes and Colin Calderwood.

"I think any player making the transition to management should consult widely, not least because the game has changed," Ferguson said. "What's so exciting about Peterborough [is that] the club has no structure, no reserve team, no youth team, there are problems with the training facilities and they've lost seven games in a row, but after all that they're still only three points off the play-offs. The potential is staggering, and I have to say I've been given a great opportunity."

He began preparing for management several years ago at Wrexham, the club he joined in 1999. As a trainee at Manchester United he had made 22 starts for the first team but had never done enough to overcome the supporters' suspicions of nepotism and had been sold to Wolves for £250,000. Five years later he moved to Wales, and at 34 he has approaching 500 league games under his belt.

Overlooked for the manager's job at Wrexham when Denis Smith was sacked this month, Ferguson has taken the plunge at Peterborough, though he has yet to decide whether he will be player-manager in more than name. Given that he admits to having been taken aback by the work involved off the training field, perhaps not, but it may depend on how quickly he and his assistant Kevin Russell, also from Wrexham, can change United's fortunes.

"Watching the game last week [a 3-0 defeat at home to Stockport] the players looked short on confidence and belief. What we've tried to do is give them a bit more belief, change the mentality. I expect to see them training with the intensity with which they play, and what I've seen has been encouraging."

Having likened his temperament to his father's, Ferguson is quick to reassure players fearing a blast from the hairdryer. "I don't think I'll be throwing teacups, but then I think that's all a bit of a myth, to be honest. Dad's had his tantrums, or whatever you want to call them, but there's managers out there 20 times worse. Ask those who've played for him - the respect came because he knows how to treat people. Look how many have become managers in their own right, and successful managers at that.

"There are times when you need to let players know you're unhappy, but to do that with authority doesn't mean you can't speak normally."

The fact that Ferguson does not remember ever falling out with his father tends to support this contention but, as he says, his dad was not around very much. "He was always away working; my mother had the burden of all that. But all the important decisions I've taken were left to me, whether it was starting at United, moving to Wolves or whatever. He'd offer his opinion but no more. There were times I was at Wrexham and could have left, and he's said maybe that would be the better option, but I stayed loyal because it's a good club."

"Put it this way, I'm not going to be getting on the phone and saying, 'What'll I do?' Because it's my career, and it always has been."

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Football club Manchester United has reported flat profits for the season 2005/06, the first in which the Glazer family was at the helm.

Operating profit for the 12 months to 30 June 2006 was £49.7m ($98m), against a £46.1m profit in the prior reporting period, which only covered 11 months.

United was hit by the impact of exiting the Champions League at the first stage - saying it cost them £2.8m in revenue.

CEO David Gill said the club was now poised for "dramatic revenue growth".

'Sell-out crowds'

US tycoon Malcolm Glazer bought United for £790m in 2005, in a deal that was heavily financed through debt, much of it transferred onto the club.

Since June 2006 the club has been reaping the benefit of its four-year £56.5m shirt sponsorship deal with AIG, and seen match day revenue increase with the growth in its Old Trafford stadium capacity from 68,000 to 76,000.

In addition, the latest round of domestic TV football rights, signed last summer, have generated £1.7bn ($3.1bn) in total for Premier League clubs.

The new Premier League TV deal for 2007-10 could see a 65% increase in Premiership TV money for every top flight club, according to Barclays Capital.

After the club revealed its latest figures Mr Gill said: "With sell-out crowds at the extended Old Trafford and record sponsorship deals like AIG, Manchester United can look forward to a future marked by dramatic revenue growth."

Transfer deal

Profit before tax was £30.8m, up from £10.8m, with £12m of that secured from the sale of Nigerian youngster Jon Obi Mikel to Chelsea.

And turnover at United, which last year lost its place at the top of the Deliotte world rich list of football clubs, was £165.4m, against £157.2m in the period before.

United said that during the 2005/06 period it paid £1.8m in fees to agents, against £2.6m in the previous 11 month period.

The club also said it had 64,000 season-ticket holders and a waiting list of 10,000 more.

In July last year the Glazers were also able to secure a refinancing package which saw loan charges on sums, borrowed by the Glazers to buy the club, fall from £90m ($164m) a year to £62m.

As part of the restructuring plan, overall borrowings went up from £580m to £660m, but the club reassured fans - many concerned at the level of debt - that the moves were "good housekeeping". </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

wp uncle malc </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well i find it kinda normal since we made profits from our transfers this summer (and since Glazer came).

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mika:

Gonch praising an ex-player icon_eek.gif

*rage/fume/outrage*

You praise Cantona, I'll praise Ruud, no arguments, no problems \o/ </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

i praise all ex players you buffoon, i just dont dedicate my life to them

Archived