The Manchester United thread 2006/2007 - featuring BBB leaving early

foobR

• Replies 51.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ACou2000:

he wins so many headers for someone so short too </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

All the more strange seeing as that was his weakness when he first came.

I think the most telling thing is that he's seen off Gaby's challenge. I think regardless that Gaby hasn't been in the best form, for all that he's great Evra is up there near him defensively, but streets ahead going forward. His contribution to our attacking play can't be underestimated, he's been a huge factor.

People say Giggs was awful yesterday, but some of his and Evra's link up play in the first half was fb.

Evra becoming first choice over Gabby possibly the least expected thing to have EVER happened during my time as a United supporter. He was utterly utterly utterly abysmal at the start, and Gabby was fb.

Paddy seems to be growing in confidence all the time now as well, especially going forward. he keeps going on these brilliant mazy runs forward and starting attacks like that. found himself on the right wing at one point yesterday icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by alilaw:

Evra becoming first choice over Gabby possibly the least expected thing to have EVER happened during my time as a United supporter. He was utterly utterly utterly abysmal at the start, and Gabby was fb. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Wouldn't go that far, you never know how players are going to come back from such serious injuries tbf.

It's a good question though, most unexpectedthing to have happened like that...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mika:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by alilaw:

Evra becoming first choice over Gabby possibly the least expected thing to have EVER happened during my time as a United supporter. He was utterly utterly utterly abysmal at the start, and Gabby was fb. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Wouldn't go that far, you never know how players are going to come back from such serious injuries tbf.

It's a good question though, most unexpectedthing to have happened like that... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Personally, i don't think Gaby at his best keeps Paddy out of the side, i don't think his injury comes into it.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mark g:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mika:

It's a good question though, most unexpectedthing to have happened like that... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Personally, i don't think Gaby at his best keeps Paddy out of the side, i don't think his injury comes into it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It does if he can't get to his 04/05 best, though he hasn't really been given the chance to prove it either way.

People say Giggs was awful yesterday, but some of his and Evra's link up play in the first half was fb.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree. I actually didn't think Giggs was as bad as was made out in here. I felt recently he's sacrificed himself a little to hold up the ball and play Evra in rather than attacking himself, which is what i thought happened yesterday as well.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ACou2000:

best left back in the country

... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

would be incredibly hard to argue against him getting the left-back slot in the Prem team of the season unless his form really falls away.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mark g:

Personally, i don't think Gaby at his best keeps Paddy out of the side, i don't think his injury comes into it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It does if he can't get to his 04/05 best, though he hasn't really been given the chance to prove it either way. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm comparing Gaby at his 04/05 best with Paddy now. Paddy's attacking play is so superior i'd have him every time while he's on this form.

Might be an awkward comparison, but I'd say going with Evra instead of Heinze is like going with Saha instead of Ruud.

The pace of their play fits in with our style better. While Ruud was an amazing finisher, and Gaby is an amazing gung ho defender, Evra and Saha bring the rest of the team into the game.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20:

... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

would be incredibly hard to argue against him getting the left-back slot in the Prem team of the season unless his form really falls away. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

dont be silly.

Warnock, Riise, Lauren, Bale, Bridge, Cole, Gallas, Gardner, Konchesky and Powell all better left backs than Evra

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20:

... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

would be incredibly hard to argue against him getting the left-back slot in the Prem team of the season unless his form really falls away. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

dont be silly.

Warnock, Riise, Lauren, Bale, Bridge, Cole, Gallas, Gardner, Konchesky and Powell all better left backs than Evra </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

you forgot Gerrard icon_frown.gif

... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

dont be silly.

Warnock, Riise, Lauren, Bale, Bridge, Cole, Gallas, Gardner, Konchesky and Powell all better left backs than Evra </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

you forgot Gerrard icon_frown.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Traore, surely?

An article on Gareth Bale that compares him to Micah Richards as well as telling you a lot about his play. For people who have seen little to nothing of him its a good read.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/fa_cup/6299059.stm

I did have a great long post sorted with it all quoted up with just the bale bits and my own opinions that took me ages to do but i hit the delete button to delete a word and the reply box vanished along with my post. icon_frown.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Taz & The Devil:

An article on Gareth Bale that compares him to Micah Richards as well as telling you a lot about his play. For people who have seen little to nothing of him its a good read.

I did have a great long post sorted with it all quoted up with just the bale bits and my own opinions that took me ages to do but i hit the delete button to delete a word and the reply box vanished along with my post. icon_frown.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Gareth Bale is ****, Man Utd should leave him alone

as are the rest of our championship winning youth academy. i won't name them because they are all **** aswell. so don't send any scouts to watch them either

If, like is suggested on the last page and in that article, Bale can be a left winger (and Fergie sees him as the long-term replacement for Giggs) I'd be much less against shelling out the ten million or whatsits Sarfhampton want.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ajw2255:

its because they were all daytrippers like you pickles icon_wink.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's what I said to my pals! But surely not 70,000 of them?! Couldn't here any part of the ground sing for more than one song!

But you don't win the FA Cup by having good fans I suppose, look at Liverpool!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Pickles:

Went to the game on Saturday, sat in the South stand, in line with the penalty box at the away end. Atmosphere was awful, think I was the only person singing within about 30 yards of me. icon13.gif

44 bloody quid too icon_frown.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's the South stand, what do you expect? icon_biggrin.gif

Add onto the fact that it was on an FA Cup game full of daytrippers and there was never a chance of a good atmosphere, hell even BBB wasn't there to start some die die Richardson chants.

I wasn't expecting it to be the best atmosphere, but it was really dire! The Pompey fans had a good sing song to be fair - their cup final those I spose.

My mate didn't want to pay over the odds to get into the Stretford End, but our tickets jumped from £28 to £44 overnight icon_mad.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Taz & The Devil:

I did have a great long post sorted with it all quoted up with just the bale bits and my own opinions that took me ages to do but i hit the delete button to delete a word and the reply box vanished along with my post. icon_frown.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

haha so because Bale can take a free kick, he's as good as Richards icon_biggrin.gif

What a waste of webspace, he looked awful yesterday

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Eric Cartman:

haha so because Bale can take a free kick, he's as good as Richards icon_biggrin.gif

What a waste of webspace, he looked awful yesterday </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

wp on scrolling to the bottom and not actually reading the entire article.

I take it one of the papers had something about Ronaldo not wanting to sign a new contract in it today as i've just looked on redcafe and they are up in arms about it and demanding we sell him.

Yeah lets sell Ronaldo. icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

What!? I'm so very glad this is the only football forum I frequent.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JulesMUFC:

wp on scrolling to the bottom and not actually reading the entire article. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">POINTS VERDICT

RICHARDS: 55pts

BALE: 55pts

Richards wins in more rounds than Bale, but his margins of victory are not as convincing as Bale's. In the departments Bale tops Richards, he is much better.

Separate them? We certainly couldn't.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Is there some more scrolling i'm missing?

Not really news, but what the hell.....

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

David Gill, Manchester United's chief executive, has said the club have virtually no chance of signing Owen Hargreaves before the transfer window shuts on Wednesday. Sir Alex Ferguson made Bayern Munich's England midfielder his primary target in the January market but Bayern remain unwilling to sell, despite United having offered a reported £20m.

Following a board meeting last Thursday, Bayern officials suggested that, though there will be no deal this month, the transfer could go ahead in summer. On Friday Ferguson said he had not given up hope of landing Hargreaves in the next few days, but Gill is more pessimistic.

"I can confirm we are interested in the player and we have been since last summer but at the moment Bayern aren't willing to sell him and we will have to leave it at that," Gill told BBC Radio Five Live's Sportsweek programme.

Added to their failure to land Hargreaves, United have fallen behind Spurs in the race to sign Southampton's £10m-rated full-back, Gareth Bale. So it appears likely Henrik Larsson will be the only new face to arrive at Old Trafford this month. The 35-year-old Swede has quickly impressed in his loan spell and saw a sweetly struck volley incorrectly ruled out for offside against Portsmouth on Saturday.

As things stand, Larsson is due to return to Helsingborgs in the middle of March and Gill says there has been no discussion with Ferguson over whether to extend his stay. "I know for a fact Alex, Carlos [Queiroz] and all the players are very impressed with Henrik in terms of what he can do, his attitude and how he has fitted in," said Gill. "We want great players at the club but we have not really discussed that. We are focusing on the next few weeks and we will see what happens. I think it is a bit early, you never say never, but we will go through that nearer the time with Henrik and the club."

However, Gill was more definite in confirming that Cristiano Ronaldo's long-term future remains at Old Trafford. Ferguson said last week that he had no interest in letting the Portugal winger leave, amid rumoured interest from Real Madrid, and Gill made it clear no amount of money could persuade United to sell, with the club's owner, Malcolm Glazer, apparently in full agreement.

"As Arsène Wenger has said on many occasions, clubs aren't banks," Gill said. "We are there to put on entertainment and play a top-class team. There is no point having £35m or £45m if you can't replace that talent. At 21, Ronaldo has had a great season and the best is yet to come. If we did get a bid, I would tell the Glazer family. But I know the conversation would be very brief because it would be turned down immediately."

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Archived