The Manchester United thread 2006/2007 - featuring BBB leaving early

foobR

• Replies 51.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Forgot to ask/mention earlier that when I was on the train home there were a bunch of other United fans singing there heads off further down the train and amidst all the songs I had heard before there was a Vidic song that was new to me but I couldn't make out the words so I was wondering if anyone here knew it?

Thing is its sung to the tune of a song that I knew when I heard it but have can't claw it out of the recesses of my brain now, so annoying and unhelpful but here's what I do know:

It starts off with a massive NEMANJA, and then it goes on to say something about Vidic in the middle with Rio or something to that effect.

Its really ****ing me off now as well because I had it in my head until I fell asleep after switching trains at Sheffield.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Weststandred:

Did you get the train from Old Trafford, Young Jimlad? I did, had to wait about 45mins in the freezing cold. You'd think they'd have more sense and have lots of trains come straight after a football match ffs. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No mate, got the tram up to OT today but I always get the bus back to Piccadilly after a match, its just to much bother waiting in line otherwise.

And tbf earlier in the week I was thinking that I'd be able to make a wall appearance today because of the 3pm kickoff but I went out on Friday, got completely blitzed, didn't get in until about 330/4am-ish & as a result barely got up to get the train in time as it was. The journey up was no picnic either.

I'm not going to Reading next week so Lille will be the next game I'm up for and since its an evening game I've got no excuses really so I'll make every effort to join you all prior to the game.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by RedBlood:

Rooney and Ronnie scored 5 CL goals in 40 starts between them

Not good enough </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Since the turn of the century who, bar Ruud, has had a good goal-scoring record in Europe for us though?

Obviously the two of them not scoring is an issue because they're marked out as match winners but its not like anyone else has really stepped up. And our recent form in Europe has hardly been imperious, but injuries, form & a lack of experience individually or combined in relation to a lot of our players in the last few years has hampered our performances.

At present I think next season will see a lot more improvement in our European performances overall.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JulesMUFC:

any news on how our likely lads did for keano today bar keeping a clean sheet? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

not yet. wasn't on telly and those sunderland fans who went are probably still travelling back. do not envy them with that journey icon_biggrin.gif

Actually, just thinking about Europe, there’s only really one tie – Real Madrid/Bayern Munich – where I’m not 80% convinced of who’ll get through. On current form I’m edging towards Real for that one & looking at who I think will get through, over two legs its going to be tough to make the semi-finals. Obviously I’m getting ahead of myself a bit but it’s in my head so I may as well post it.

Obviously just a guess but likely quarterfinal qualifiers IMO:

Us + Barca, Milan, Chelsea, Inter, Arsenal, Real Madrid, Lyon.

Milan and Real are probably the “easiest†potential ties for me, but Milan’s experience and Madrid’s recent doggedness could be issues if we drew them. Chelsea and Arsenal over two legs would be a real pain & I doubt it’d go our way so really wouldn’t want either of them. I don’t think we’re there as far as beating Barca goes. Inter started this campaign in Europe terribly but then they stepped up massively & having a big lead at the top of Serie A means that they can focus a bit more on the CL with their huge squad if they want. But then the fact that its Inter means anything could happen. That leaves Lyon, who I think, purely on the strength of their European performances which have looked really focussed, might just be favourites over two legs with us.

Obviously this is pure conjecture, and arguably anyone can beat anyone at this stage in the competition, but there are too many teams we could draw after/if we beat Lille who are going to be very problematic or have a slight edge over us to think that we’ll get past the last eight.

Much rather get the Prem back anyway this year.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ACou2000:

us drawn vs Real after beating Lille plzkthx </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Young Jimlad:

At present I think next season will see a lot more improvement in our European performances overall. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Only if we sort our tactics out.

Aye thats fair but I was thinking more about general benefits of experience and fluidity of a maturing team more easily transferring their league performances, or a marginally refined version of them to European competition, and the management being more prepared to trust that in the CL rather than seeing the need to protect any perceived weaknesses, which is probably one of Fergie's issues at present when it comes to this set of players.

Okay, thats clearly a really bad run-on sentence but I can't be bothered to mess about with it...

There’s another thing that I was thinking about as well; next season’s GK situation.

I assume that however impressive Foster has been at Watford everyone is still happy enough with VDS continuing as number one GK? I know I am. Anyway, with recent noises being made suggesting that Foster will be at OT next season I can’t help but feel that it makes little sense unless he is going to be installed as our first choice.

TK made one great save today but I personally don’t think he’s assured enough to act as anything other than our number two. I never feel completely at ease with him in nets, and while any measure of confidence and form on his part is going to be an issue without a regular run of games, in my gut I’d still rather bring Howard back if something major happened to both VDS & Foster than have him keep nets for an extended period of time.

Howard will, in all likelihood, be sold to Everton or another club of a similar standing at the end of the season anyway so that removes one factor out of the equation, but having VDS/TK/Foster all hanging around and vying for #1 & the bench spot makes no sense. If we were in the situation where we hadn’t got TK in the summer and Foster had been on the bench all year then fair enough, we’d keep it like that, but since his progress is there for all to see, bringing him back is a waste of a resource. Even if we somehow have the capacity to send TK back to WBA at the end of his loan rather than go through with the pre-set transfer deal and are left with VDS & Foster it would be ill-advised to keep both and allow one to languish or opt for more regular (and unsettling) rotation of the GK position.

TK staying as backup to VDS is my ideal situation for next season personally, with Foster staying at Watford on loan if they stay up (just because Boothroyd seems to be doing a good job of aiding his development and keeping in touch with Fergie about his progress), and if they don’t, him being farmed out to another Premiership team since I imagine there would be a fair few takers. He would have to stay in the Premiership though just because stepping back down to Championship level with a team that would in all probability be in a strong position to aim for promotion is unlikely to stretch him in relation to the talent/pressure he’d come up against in the top division.

Now I’m going to bed…

Yeah. It is a bit.

As things stand, I want VdS to remain #1 next season. Given this Foster would probably be better off on loan for one more year. Basically I'm saying what Jimlad said.

Not sure we want to throw Foster in to a pressure season like that just yet.. he's close to ready.. but not quite there imo.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Young Jimlad:

Aye thats fair but I was thinking more about general benefits of experience and fluidity of a maturing team more easily transferring their league performances, or a marginally refined version of them to European competition, and the management being more prepared to trust that in the CL rather than seeing the need to protect any perceived weaknesses, which is probably one of Fergie's issues at present when it comes to this set of players.

Okay, thats clearly a really bad run-on sentence but I can't be bothered to mess about with it... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I guess, I just feel that we need to go back to basics away from home in Europe and play to our strengths and I'm not sure whether Fergie thinks the same.

What Jimlad said for me as well, next season for me I have a feeling we will see the squad virtually unchanged, with us having something of a clearout in the summer of 2008...

So yeah, we've given VDS a one year deal, he wants to play until Euro 2008 and bluntly he still looks as good as ever for me and I like him. Unless he goes into a rapid decline any time soon he has at least another year in him for me.

Interesting what Fergie said about throwing some of the youngsters into the first team, but he said that about Jones and then never gave him a chance so I'm sceptical.

Obviously this is pure conjecture, and arguably anyone can beat anyone at this stage in the competition, but there are too many teams we could draw after/if we beat Lille who are going to be very problematic or have a slight edge over us to think that we’ll get past the last eight. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I disagree here. None of the top teams seem that threatening, at least compared to previous seasons. Milan have had a bad season even when you factor in the points deduction, Bayern are having their worst season in years, Real Madrid is a mess. I would like our chances against any of these clubs. Inter and Lyon, while playing great, are already on cruise control having practically clinched their league titles, and might have trouble upping their game in Europe against a club desperate for the three points week in week out. Even Barcelona, the probable favorites to win it, are weaker than last season. They are the only team I feel would be favored against us over two legs. The last few seasons have shown that the CL is a bit of a crapshoot but I'd be surprised if someone other than United, Chelsea, or Barca win it.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by AllStar4:

Obviously this is pure conjecture, and arguably anyone can beat anyone at this stage in the competition, but there are too many teams we could draw after/if we beat Lille who are going to be very problematic or have a slight edge over us to think that we’ll get past the last eight. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I disagree here. None of the top teams seem that threatening, at least compared to previous seasons. Milan have had a bad season even when you factor in the points deduction, Bayern are having their worst season in years, Real Madrid is a mess. I would like our chances against any of these clubs. Inter and Lyon, while playing great, are already on cruise control having practically clinched their league titles, and might have trouble upping their game in Europe against a club desperate for the three points week in week out. Even Barcelona, the probable favorites to win it, are weaker than last season. They are the only team I feel would be favored against us over two legs. The last few seasons have shown that the CL is a bit of a crapshoot but I'd be surprised if someone other than United, Chelsea, or Barca win it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That would be fine if league form was as good an indicator as you're implying it is, but previous seasons have proved it's more of a "crapshoot" than you're making out. And even if you're correct about the potential winners, that doesn't stop those teams you ruled out so easily having more than enough talent to give us huge problems over a two legged tie.

Added to that, we're a team that has almost always underperformed in europe compared to our league form. All this talk of who we'll get after Lille makes me even more nervous about the tie than i was already. I hope no-one has forgotten Celtic, Copenhagen, Benfica, Villareal twice, Lille themselves twice, and Porto as games in recent seasons where we were expected to win comfortably and came up short?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mark g:

That would be fine if league form was as good an indicator as you're implying it is, but previous seasons have proved it's more of a "crapshoot" than you're making out. And even if you're correct about the potential winners, that doesn't stop those teams you ruled out so easily having more than enough talent to give us huge problems over a two legged tie.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't mean to imply that it will be easy, just that I feel that the team will have a 50/50 or better chance if drawn against all but one of the teams remaining in the competition. Results in Europe haven't been good the last few seasons but the team is quite a bit better than it has been the last few years. And of course it would be foolish to look past Lille, the topic just happened to be about the quarterfinals and on should we make it. I wonder just how well the team would have to play to remove the sense of impending doom that a number of posters in this thread seem to have.

Telegraph gave man of the match to Fletcher and also had a go at all those Fletch haters:

Eventually Rooney helped Fletcher to let the fans relax. Not that all of them deserved it. Not after the stick they have given Fletcher over the years. Here he was the perfect stand-in for Michael Carrick, who cost a lot of money.

Match summary

Man of the Match: Darren Fletcher gets more than his fair share of disparagement, but he is a good player. He made sure the injured Michael Carrick was not too greatly missed - as well as finishing Charlton off with the second goal.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mika:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ACou2000:

Please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Please don't tell me you want us to draw them so we can get beaten by Beckham and Ruud goals?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">TK staying as backup to VDS is my ideal situation for next season personally, with Foster staying at Watford on loan if they stay up (just because Boothroyd seems to be doing a good job of aiding his development and keeping in touch with Fergie about his progress), and if they don’t, him being farmed out to another Premiership team since I imagine there would be a fair few takers. He would have to stay in the Premiership though just because stepping back down to Championship level with a team that would in all probability be in a strong position to aim for promotion is unlikely to stretch him in relation to the talent/pressure he’d come up against in the top division. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Foster could well be loaned out next season. Especially when you consider the two/three teams that may come up from the Championship, Birmingham, Derby (and Preston) have connections with United that may make another Foster loan an option.

Saw this in the data forum (Man Utd thread) but wanted to post it here:

Nick OGS20 :"9 equates to a CA of 150-180, if you handle them right they'll hit the upper reaches of that bracket "

I'm sure that was just atyping error, but just wanted to make sure you don't actually think that's how the minus numbers work? icon_smile.gificon_smile.gif (Not trying to make a case that they should be -10)

And someone on that thread trying to make out Dos Santos shouldn't be -10 icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

Cheers

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> CRISTIANO RONALDO will deliver Manchester United an astonishing £8.3million-a-year ultimatum: Make me the world's highest-paid player or I'm off.

We can reveal an Arab oil sheik has offered to stump up £30m to take Ronaldo to Barcelona in the summer.

At the same time, Ronaldo's representatives want to seal a deal that would guarantee the Portuguese superstar £160,000 A WEEK. A source close to Ronaldo confirmed: "There are lots of meetings taking place regarding Cristiano's new contract.

"But if United say he's the best player in the world they have to give him the best salary in the world."

Spanish giants Barcelona and Real Madrid have both made Ronaldo their No1 target.

Sheik Mansour Al-Balawi, who owns Saudi Arabian club Al-Ittihad, has developed a strong football and business link with Barca president Joan Laporta.

And Al-Bawi last night confirmed "I will do what is necessary to help Barcelona sign a great player like Cristiano."

Chelsea's Michael Ballack is currently the world's best-paid player on £130,000 a week, while Stamford Bridge skipper John Terry is finalising a new £150,000-a-week deal.

But the intervention of a wealthy third party is the biggest threat yet to United's hopes of hanging onto their 22-year-old winger.

Our exclusive revelation about Barca's interest in Ronaldo was confirmed when the player's agent Jorge Mendes was accompanied by the Spanish giant's director of football Txiki Begiristain to Portugal's friendly against Brazil.

And Ronaldo added further fuel to the debate over his future by insisting: "I've always said that I like Spanish football and that it's a kind of football which attracts me.

"I've got a contract with United. If Spanish clubs speak to anyone it's with my agent, not with me."

The link between the Saudi club and Barça was sealed in a recent visit to the Middle East by Laporta.

The bilateral agreement, signed last December, allows for two friendly matches and the construction of six football academies.

Al-Ittihad recently signed former Real Madrid and Barcelona star Luis Figo in a deal brokered by Spanish agent Mariam Montano who said: "Right now Al-Ittihad and Barca are very close.

"Sheik Mansour Al-Balawi is happy to support Barcelona financially in the transfer market."

We revealed last month that United offered to double Ronaldo's salary to £100,000 a week to stave off interest from Real and Barca.

But Ronaldo's representatives are playing hardball and are holding out for more. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Such a ******** story.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20:

I want Foster in as #1 personally. controversial perhaps.. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Rationale please?

Also thats a fair point that PJ made about the potential promoted teams and Foster going back out on loan. I have a feeling that Bruce would stick with Taylor but Derby and Preston (the latter defo when you consider that Carlo Nash is their #1) are very viable candidates. Heck West Brom would be another option if they came up. Just based on the rep of the club I'd rather Cardiff wasn't considered if they made their way through the playoffs & I'm not sure Burley would abandon Kelvin Davies at Soton. Obvi if Keano got Sunderland up that'd be an option as well.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BBB:

oh and Ryan is trying to break tradition (Mika texting the team news) by getting redcafe on his PDA, next time he does it I'll set Eddie on him </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'll have to start posting fake lineups on there then.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Gregg Carter:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mika:

Please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Please don't tell me you want us to draw them so we can get beaten by Beckham and Ruud goals? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Couldn't give a toss about Beckham, I want Ruud to come back though :*)

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BBB:

oh and Ryan is trying to break tradition (Mika texting the team news) by getting redcafe on his PDA, next time he does it I'll set Eddie on him </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'll have to start posting fake lineups on there then. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ronaldo

Giggs

O'Shea

Richardson ©

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Blaine:

just seen this on redissue:

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/117005/soccer_hooligans/

wtf.

on an unrelated note, also reports on there about a lot of ejections yesterday... anyone notice anything? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

from the film eurotrip i think

as for the ejections didn't see owt in streetie upper although the irish a few rows in forn twere happily smoking throughtout the game

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Blaine:

just seen this on redissue:

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/117005/soccer_hooligans/

wtf.

on an unrelated note, also reports on there about a lot of ejections yesterday... anyone notice anything? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Seems that there's a massive clampdown on standing, from reading on RI/RN that the stewards have been told to eject people, I'll only stand when others are standing. Can't throw all the stretty out for standing ffs.

Archived