The Manchester United thread 2006/2007 - featuring BBB leaving early

foobR

• Replies 51.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Terry Cheung:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JulesMUFC:

i ****ing love eric cantona, my favourite player of all time. such a hero its undeniable. keep every other striker under fergies era, eric was our most influential by an absolute mile. the ethos of arrogance paired with absolute ability and self belief brought success to fergies regime much more than anyone else did. eric cantona = greatest striker to wear the red shirt ever. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

but he choked in Europe </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

so does rooney icon14.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by alilaw:

Ruud didn't. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

what was his record in the knock-out phases?

How does that compare with other 'top' strikers?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by James07?:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by alilaw:

How does that compare with other 'top' strikers? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Something along the lines of a goal every other game iirc? We've had this discussion before, and I was actually on the other side saying 'oh he never did it when it mattered', but I seem to recall I was proved wrong. I cba to look up the stats though, I'll let Nick do it, or get Mika to check his 'Ruud stats' tattoo on his arm or something.

Basically, he had a pretty decent record given that we habitually failed at the first hurdle (if we made it at all).

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ajw2255:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ajw2255:

hat trick on his european debut? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

rooney that is </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

and since then?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by James07?:

IF HE WASN'T FIT AGAINST MILAN HE SHOULDN'T HAVE BLOODY PLAYED.

that is all. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

so true, smith should have played that game. was so frustrating

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by gonch19:

IF HE WASN'T FIT AGAINST MILAN HE SHOULDN'T HAVE BLOODY PLAYED.

that is all. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

so true, smith should have played that game. was so frustrating </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nobody is that important that they should be rushed back from injury in a game like that. By all means bring him on as a sub if the team is losing anyway, but to start him was frankly wrong.

How does that compare with other 'top' strikers? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Something along the lines of a goal every other game iirc? We've had this discussion before, and I was actually on the other side saying 'oh he never did it when it mattered', but I seem to recall I was proved wrong. I cba to look up the stats though, I'll let Nick do it, or get Mika to check his 'Ruud stats' tattoo on his arm or something.

Basically, he had a pretty decent record given that we habitually failed at the first hurdle (if we made it at all). </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

*rolls up sleeve*

Scored against Deportivo, Leverkusen and Real twice from what I remember. Porto wasn't productive and AC Milan he should never have played in yeah, but that's Fergie's fault not Ruud's.

• Administrators

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">get Mika to check his 'Ruud stats' tattoo on his arm or something. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

he'll tell you his arms aren't that long

was 6 goals in 12 knockout stage games btw, it was 6 in 8 then he failed to score two years straight, Porto and Milan.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mika:

Porto wasn't productive and AC Milan he should never have played in yeah, but that's Fergie's fault not Ruud's. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

who knows, he probably bitched and moaned and threatened to leave if he was left out.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by gonch19:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mika:

Porto wasn't productive and AC Milan he should never have played in yeah, but that's Fergie's fault not Ruud's. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

who knows, he probably bitched and moaned and threatened to leave if he was left out. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

icon_biggrin.gificon14.gif

if and i stress IF the dreaded happens and ronaldo leaves, im assuming everyone wants lennon as the replacement?

id be gutted if he left, but in fergie i trust. i dont think there is any way he will allow real or barca to come in for him. only thing that troubles me is if a massive bid (£35million plus) was put in, would the glazers turn it down or lick their lips?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Terry Cheung:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JulesMUFC:

i ****ing love eric cantona, my favourite player of all time. such a hero its undeniable. keep every other striker under fergies era, eric was our most influential by an absolute mile. the ethos of arrogance paired with absolute ability and self belief brought success to fergies regime much more than anyone else did. eric cantona = greatest striker to wear the red shirt ever. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

but he choked in Europe </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I wouldn't say Eric was responsible for us "choking" in Europe during his time with the club.

What hurt us was the Rules on foreign players at the time. It was something that would always hurt us unless it was changed, which thankfully it was.

Kanchelskis, Schmikes, Irwin, Keane, Giggs, Hughes, Cantona, McClair All having to be left out at various points during the campaigns hurt us.

The Side that played:

MANCHESTER UNITED:

GK 1 Schmeichel

RB 2 G. Neville

CB 6 Stam

CB 5 Johnsen

LB 3 Irwin

LW 15 Blomqvist (- 67')

CM 8 Butt

CM 7 Beckham

RW 11 Giggs

CF 9 Cole (- 81')

CF 19 Yorke

Substitutes:

GK 17 van der Gouw

DF 4 May

DF 12 P. Neville

DF 24 Brown

MF 34 Greening

CF 10 Sheringham 90 +1' (+ 67')

CF 20 Solskjær 90 +2' (+ 81')

So from that you have to then look at the fact that we would only be allowed 3 Non English players and 2 Assimilated players - Players who'd come through the English system or were naturalised "Englishmen" Giggs and Irwin Would fall under this rule.

Therefore, you're looking at a likely side having been:

GK: Schmeichel (FGN)

RB: Garry Neville

CB: May Or Brown

CB: Stam (FGN)

LB: Irwin (Assim)

LW: Giggs (Assim)

CM: Butt

CM: Phil Neville

RW: Beckham

CF: Cole

CF: Yorke (FGN)

Arguments could be made for Jesper to have started of course or for Johnsen. Also for Solskjaer to have been on the bench, but from our match day squad, thats what i would have expcected to start given the roles in the team at the time.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by X-Pac:

Whats it like to be a glory hunter you scum bastards? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

One of your first posts since returning is to come in here and spout abuse towards us?

Good to see that you're maturing icon14.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Gregg Carter:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by X-Pac:

One of your first posts since returning is to come in here and spout abuse towards us?

Good to see that you're maturing icon14.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm actually just curious, I wonder what its like to support a team thats not local to you? Prawn sandwich brigade.

isnt this guy the leeds fan? poor dude.

to answer your question, yes it is very exciting to be chasing glory on three fronts icon14.gif

Christ on a bike what has this thread become icon_frown.gif

Bring back Splatt. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

and then X-Pac pops ups

T-Ho sold to Everton permanently then, five-year deal. No word on a fee yet it seems.

Clearly the best move for all parties I think. Fantastic keeper in terms of athleticism, agility and pure shot-stopping ability, about as good as I've ever seen. Just lacking mentally in terms of what it takes to be first-choice keeper at one of the very top clubs, although he's still young in goalie terms and there's nothing to say he won't develop in that respect.

Best of luck to him anyway.

Christ on a bike what has this thread become icon_frown.gif

Bring back Splatt. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

and then X-Pac pops ups </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Aww you still remember me? I only came back to see you and Gregg Carter. Still the two biggest glory hunting twats I've ever talked to on the net. icon14.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20:

T-Ho sold to Everton permanently then, five-year deal. No word on a fee yet it seems.

Clearly the best move for all parties I think. Fantastic keeper in terms of athleticism, agility and pure shot-stopping ability, about as good as I've ever seen. Just lacking mentally in terms of what it takes to be first-choice keeper at one of the very top clubs, although he's still young in goalie terms and there's nothing to say he won't develop in that respect.

Best of luck to him anyway. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think it was obvious to everyone this would happen. It is the best thing for all parties and i wish Tim all the best.

We will have sold ourselves short on the fee though as we always do. Howard has been very good for Everton this season as well.

To add to what Nick said:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Keeper joins Toffees

United goalkeeper Tim Howard will make his loan move to Everton permanent at the end of the season.

The 27-year-old USA international joined the Reds in the summer of 2003 from MLS side MetroStars as the successor to Febian Barthez.

He immediately impressed, saving the decisive penalty in the Community Shield against Arsenal on his debut.

Howard, who became the first American to play for United, was first choice for the Reds in his debut season at Old Trafford. He went on to be named in the PFA Best XI at the end of the campaign and picked up an FA Cup winners' medal.

The following season he shared goalkeeping duties with Roy Carroll. However, his opportunities were limited with the arrival of United's current No.1 Edwin van der Sar in 2005.

In May 2006, a deal was agreed with Everton for the New Jersey-born keeper to spend the season on loan at Goodison Park, where he has been first-choice under David Moyes.

Everyone at the club would like to wish Tim well in the future. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Best of luck to him, really thought we had struck gold with him at first but ah well.

Archived