The Manchester United thread 2006/2007 - featuring BBB leaving early

foobR

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BBB:

iirc it's from the sun, so it's blatantly bollox.

Ali, give me a few weeks and I should be able to sort ya out, maybe Bagpuss has a race, I'll check, then you get to sit next to me! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's from World Soccer, according to the beeb. And it is sad tbf, but he needs to move on without giving us yet another indicator (if another was needed) about SAF's random man management abilities. Because we know.

• Replies 51.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Saha:

Carling Cup win so completely worth it. Might watch the official dvd. what a day. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Such a strange day, I was there and we had won the cup but I knew right then that it was the beginning of the end for Ruud. As soon as he brought on Vidic and Evra I sat there fuming for the rest of the match...definitely overshadowed winning for me.

He's blatantly been asked the question in the magazine and he's answered it though, which is fair enough. Plus not a word of that is new so I don't see the problem, it's just the people reporting it blowing the quotes out of proportion.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Francis Cole:

Serious post I promise icon_smile.gif...

I'm not sure home grown solves this problem.

The fans/media don't want players to have especially come from their clubs youth academy, they want English players.

For example, if all of a (English) clubs players were home grown but from France, fans would still be upset no?

Let's look at Arsenal, a team generally known for playing foreign players (not that imo I care but nevermind)

Home grown players (or will be classed as HG in the next 2 years):

Cesc Fàbregas

Philippe Senderos

Mathieu Flamini - I think will become one in 2 years having signed when he was about 19

Johan Djourou

Gaël Clichy

Jérémie Aliadière

Armand Traoré

(Players who will become HG if Arsenal keep them)

Nicklas Bendtner

Arturo Lupoli

Francisco Merida Perez

and every foreigner in their U18 squad

So say the rules come in you have to have 4-5 HG players per matchday squad - Arsenal could easily do it, and it's still not really going to do what the rule was intended to do (i.e. encourage English players to play) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't think it's just those rules Fergie is suggesting need changing though Franny.

He's saying that the bigger clubs would be more inclined to try and nurture better talented players if they were able to get players from anywhere in the country.

If you look at it, there are quite a few clubs now, who aren't investing enough in Youth Talent, so the pool dries up. The smaller clubs just cannot afford the investment, therefore some areas of the country are left without a decent club the kids can go to.

If the rules are relaxed in that way, how long before they get a player from the South Coast (which they can't do now).. South Coast club complains then we go down the route of this would "kill the smaller clubs blah blah"?

I think it's a lose-lose situation

Yeh, but then if the south coast club cannot fund the development of the kid, then i don't see why the south coast club should be able to moan about "losing" the kid.

The problem with the Academy rules are that they base it on an idealistic Utopian structure.

It relies on the fact that:

- Every Club will invest the same amount of money

- Every Club will have the best possible coaches

- Every area has the same amount of quality players.

- Every player will be happy to join a club within their catchment area.

It's a pile of crap and it's flawed immediately from it's very concept.

There is no reason why a club like Torquay cannot produce a good player of course. But some of these clubs need to downscale massively while other clubs, the bigger clubs could benefit from upscaling or widening their catchment area.

if he'd knuckled down and shown the right attitude post drop there wouldnt have been a problem between him and fergie and he'd probably still be here today.

the amount he's bitched and whined in papers since leaving pretty much an insight into just how insufferable he must have been post carling cup final, so he has himself to blame if true that he really didnt want to leave.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by gonch19:

the amount he's bitched and whined in papers since leaving pretty much an insight into just how insufferable he must have been post carling cup final, so he has himself to blame if true that he really didnt want to leave. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

How dare he answer questions put to him, such a disgrace.

Fergie not playing him in the Carling Cup final was a complete and utter joke and if I were Ruud, I bet I'd have reacted in exactly the same way, the treatment of him was ridiculous.

Steven Gerrard > gonch

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Yeh, but then if the south coast club cannot fund the development of the kid, then i don't see why the south coast club should be able to moan about "losing" the kid. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

They would be able to afford it. But if your 12 who do you want to join: Man Utd or Southampton.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

There is no reason why a club like Torquay cannot produce a good player of course </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Because under the current system (which I 100% agree is crap) a promising youngster who lives next door to the ground can only really go to Torquay.. then Man Utd later for some £.. get rid of these rules and all these players will just skip the middle club and goto Man Utd first. Hence smaller clubs I don't think will ever agree to any drastic changes.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Graeme Kelly:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">But if your 12 </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

you're </div></BLOCKQUOTE> icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by gonch19:

*shrugs off jibes*

id honestly love to see mika's room, i bet its like something from that partridge episode </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

hahahaha icon_biggrin.gif

nice one Gonch icon_biggrin.gif

id honestly love to see mika's room, i bet its like something from that partridge episode </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Which would be like what?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">pisode 5 Alan's Number 1 Fan

Alan: Thank you.

Jed: Well, now you know where I live I hope

you’ll not be a stranger. [Alan opens his car with

his remote lock and paces quickly down the

drive. Jed follows closely]

Alan: Who…de…ver, str… no, won’t be…one

[Alan gets in his car and shuts the door.]

Jed: There’ll always be a kettle on here.

Alan: Oh, great.[Alan shuts the door and pushes

the door lock down firmly. Jed gestures him to

wind down the window. Alan does, about half

way.]

Jed: I’ll see you next week, then. We’ll have that

pint.

Alan: Yip.

Jed: Go and see my brother.

Alan: No way you big *******! You’re a mentalist!

[Alan accelerates away quickly. Jed chases

him for a few yards.Alan panics when he finds he

driven up a dead end, he gets out of the car and

hurdles a fence into a field] </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mika:

Which would be like what? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

About 2 min 10 secs into this clip icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Francis Cole:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Yeh, but then if the south coast club cannot fund the development of the kid, then i don't see why the south coast club should be able to moan about "losing" the kid. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

They would be able to afford it. But if your 12 who do you want to join: Man Utd or Southampton.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

There is no reason why a club like Torquay cannot produce a good player of course </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Because under the current system (which I 100% agree is crap) a promising youngster who lives next door to the ground can only really go to Torquay.. then Man Utd later for some £.. get rid of these rules and all these players will just skip the middle club and goto Man Utd first. Hence smaller clubs I don't think will ever agree to any drastic changes. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Some kids will still choose to stay and go through the Torquay system though. To say every player will automatically want to go to a bigger club asap doesnt always hold true.

The likes of Torquay, if there weren't restrictions would still get young players coming through, possibly good kids that developed a little later than the ones that were snapped up.

At the moment, potentially great players are being forced to train and learn their craft at clubs and with coaches which, to be frank aren't right for them, aren't good enough for them to develop.

That needs to change, otherwise there will be a major problem with the development of players in Britain.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mika:

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

He could have said "i've already spoken about that several times in the past. I'm on record as how i felt, i'd like to draw a line under it."

Then, maybe he wouldnt keep getting asked the same question.

As it is, interviewers know it's something that'll provoke a reaction from him and will get them some nice soundbites and headlines that will help make them more money from their interview.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by hairwad:

Which would be like what? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

About 2 min 10 secs into this clip icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ah I see icon_biggrin.gif

I'm saying nothing.

Who cares though really, he hasn't said anything wrong, not exactly doing any harm. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not doing any harm? Have you read the last two pages of the thread? He needs to think of the consequences of answering questions like that.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Gregg Carter:

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

He could have said "i've already spoken about that several times in the past. I'm on record as how i felt, i'd like to draw a line under it."

As it is, interviewers know it's something that'll provoke a reaction from him and will get them some nice soundbites and headlines that will help make them more money from their interview. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

why should he?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mark g:

Who cares though really, he hasn't said anything wrong, not exactly doing any harm. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not doing any harm? Have you read the last two pages of the thread? He needs to think of the consequences of answering questions like that. </div></BLOCKQUOTE> icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Keyser:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Gregg Carter:

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

As it is, interviewers know it's something that'll provoke a reaction from him and will get them some nice soundbites and headlines that will help make them more money from their interview. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

why should he? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

To stop himself continuing to look like a strop throughing, prissy little whinging schoolgirl?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Keyser:

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

why should he? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

To stop himself continuing to look like a strop throughing, prissy little whinging schoolgirl? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

he doesn't. he clearly has an axe to grind and I say carry on grinding. far too many people sucking sirs knob over his shocking treatment of him.

Archived