The Manchester United thread 2006/2007 - featuring BBB leaving early

foobR

• Replies 51.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Gregg Carter:

can anybody explain to me why we're continuing to play Larsson?

He's been fracking woeful for us more often than not. Goes missing for large chunks of the game and looks off the pace whenever he is involved. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

that's ludicrously harsh. we've created nothing for him for a few games now and yet his movement and workrate have remained first-rate. far more pressing concerns than him atm.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ajw2255:

with larsson up top the only pace in the team is Ronaldo.

Today you could see him going for it breaking for his own half, but by the time he got to a good position he'd left everyone behind. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

What about last year when we had Ruud, Ronaldo was the only outlet with any pace and I didnt hear anyone complaining.

(FAO Mika - this is not a dig at Ruud icon_wink.gif)

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Coldberg:

The only person in our team who could keep up with Ronaldo is Evra I imagine. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Maybe Silvestre or dare I say it good old homo hair himself Richardson (his only attribute of any kind is pace).

can i just say o sheas performance when he came on as sub was possible the worst performance ive witnessed. when he hoofed a ball down the inside channel far too hard it ran out of play then stared at louis and pointed in a completely different area to where he played the ball. ****ing idiot. sell.him.now.

great reception from the players to the fans after the game also.

• Administrators

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Weststandred:

i've just found out i'm going to be in northern ireland visiting relatives from the 8th-15th of april meaning i'll miss sheff utd at home and i'll probably just get home to watch chelsea away on tv. icon_frown.gif

i'll be so upset if we get chelsea tickets now. icon_frown.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Mart will be on to you any minute whoring for potential Chelsea tickets.

I think is was WSR who asked if those leaflet things about ticket prices were given out earlier?

When we got on the RI/UWS coach this morning they were handed out to us.

Saw a coupld of guys outside the ground handing them out too. It seemed to work to some degree as very few people seemed to disappear at halftime.

Having said tha tthough there were no stands outside the away end selling food or drink so yo ucanot really blame some people for buying inside the ground.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Weststandred:

i've just found out i'm going to be in northern ireland visiting relatives from the 8th-15th of april meaning i'll miss sheff utd at home and i'll probably just get home to watch chelsea away on tv. icon_frown.gif

i'll be so upset if we get chelsea tickets now. icon_frown.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Stay out of my country icon_mad.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Juni:

Mart will be on to you any minute whoring for potential Chelsea tickets. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

icon_biggrin.gif

speaking of tickets, there are some cheap liverpool away ones on here.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JulesMUFC:

wes was just being lazy bastard today.

didnt realise what a decent finish giggsy goal was, not quite sure he meant it though to be fair!

didnt know fulham had hit the bar either from our end. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Giggsy's finish had at least some element of luck. It came off his shin, not his boot.

right, my usual lengthy pointless post-game ramble

let's say the game finished just before Ronnie's piece of magic. there would have been some serious questions for Fergie to answer - leaving Neville out for whatever reason was inexplicable and his substitutions were baffling (how Giggs wasn't hauled off and replaced by Park i'll never know). equally so, the players would have been deserving recipients of some serious flak. don't know whether it was a european hangover of sorts, the result of an awful pitch or just a general off-day, but that was a seriously dire performance from back to front.

VDS probably redeemed himself with that fantastic save in the second half (from davies i think?) but he was far from convincing early on, regardless of who ultimately was to blame for mcbride's goal. Wes had a shocker at right-back and only made the decision to leave Nev out look even more foolish. on the other flank, Paddy had his worst game in ages, and Vida seemed to follow suit. Rio was probably the pick of a very ropey back-line, and even he was poor at times, notably late on when showing a real reluctance to attack the ball and get rid when the defence needed a leader in Vidic's absence. O'Shea and Silvestre were both accidents waiting to happen during their cameos and immediately fitted into the 'giving the ball away cheaper than Kieran Richardson's transfer value' ethic the team had developed.

the midfield wasn't much better. Carrick had his worst game in the shirt, and Scholesy probably his worst of the season. the former played like the ball was a hot potato and his usual efficiency in possession and defensive positioning was conspicuous by its absence. the latter was caught in possession more times than i can remember in the rest of the season combined. giggs - this is a weird one. rarely can i remember such a conflict of opinion on one player's performance between those at the game and those watching at home. i think i speak for mart, jules, ali, jonny and most in the putney stand when i say i thought he had a shocker. nice goal, nice early run but aside from that? abysmal set piece delivery, shirking of challenges, simple mistakes, wrong decisions at crucial times (the move near the end where ronnie kept it in, flicked it back to him and the ball was just crying to be driven in low across the face of goal, and he instead looped an aimless ball in the general direction of the far post summed it up for me). all too familiar of late. i'll leave the last of the midfield quartet until later.

upfront - i was gonna say Wayne was like he was before his recent revival of sorts, but he wasn't really. back then his effort was fine, he just needed a break, in a few senses of the word. today he just didn't seem at the races and his touch was miles off. hopefully just an off day. Henke ran his arse off, was the only one offering any real movement all game and really deserves to be part of much better team performances than those we've seen this past week. at least we can take something from a lively and interested Louis Saha when he came on.

so to Ronaldo. utterly baffled how he's not everyone's MOM. head and shoulders above anyone else wearing red today for me. yes, there were the usual hissy fits when he didn't get a freekick and a lack of tracking back at times, but he was far and away our most dangerous player, and more importantly, he was our most committed and determined. he wanted this win badly and wasn't going to let his hapless team-mates prevent it from happening. and what a wonderful wonderful winner. a fantastic goal and a moment that's right up there as one of my all-time favourite moments following the reds. fantastic celebrations on the pitch and in the stands. has the potential to be ranked up there with the wednesday game in '93 and highbury in '03 in the pantheon of championship-defining games.

the 9 point lead is fantastic, the psychology of winning in that way even more significant arguably. the old cliché about champions winning ugly rings true, and you get the feeling this game could be the once that truly convinces players and fans alike that this might just be our year after all. and i don't know about anyone else, but i derive immense satisfaction from the thought of mourinho and co no doubt gathered around a tv in a south wales hotel thinking at around 2.30pm that we were slipping up, letting them back into it and then how they must have felt when Ronnie scored.

atmosphere - sensational for the first twenty minutes or so. still pretty ace for the rest of the first half. fell disappointingly flat second half, in tune with our performance - there was just nothing to feed off. until the winner ofc, upon which the Putney Stand was quite literally rocking icon_cool.gif

devastating lack of burger/beer facilities outside craven cottage btw

motm: ronnie

2nd: vds

i am SHATTERED

Ronaldo was my MoM. Goal aside he had 2 or 3 of those runs where he did 2 or 3 and went close. The lad just looks so determined to win the title, i dont think there is anyone in the side who wants it more.

The diving header to prevent the ball going for a throw near the half way line typified Ronnie today.

And Giggsy, i thought he was head and shoulders above everyone but Ronaldo. He scored a good goal and made some great runs that spanned the length of the pitch as well as a couple of good tackles when tracking back.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mark g:

Just a quick point on the Rio/Radzinski incident. It clearly wasn't a red, as the ref's directive is a push to the chest is a yellow, and one to the face is a red. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

And it was to the face?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DeafParrot:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mark g:

Just a quick point on the Rio/Radzinski incident. It clearly wasn't a red, as the ref's directive is a push to the chest is a yellow, and one to the face is a red. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

And it was to the face? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Watch it again, his hands contact the shoulders and neck, but not the face.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20:

still think he was poor. 'great runs that spanned the length of the pitch' = 'great RUN that spanned the length of the pitch' imo, and he bottled far more challenges than he won. but meh

photos/videos of today for anyone interested </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Taz is right. Giggs was head and shoulders above everyone but Ronaldo. However he was still extremely and incredibly poor!

So that just shows how atrocious the rest of the team was.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DeafParrot:

Looked more like neck/chin, ad I'd class that as face. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thankfully, for all his faults Mr Walton obviously has a better grasp of anatomy than you do.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Mikael Silvestre has hit back at suggestions he is ready to quit Manchester United in the pursuit of first team football.

Prior to this season and the France international had always curried favour with Sir Alex Ferguson but the emergence of Patrice Evra and Nemanja Vidic as established first choices has reduced him to the periphery at Old Trafford.

Silvestre has played just once in the Premiership this year and it has been claimed he could be ready to seek pastures new in the close-season.

However, Silvestre claims the only he reason lost his place was due to injury, having fractured a metatarsal back in September, and he is firmly of the opinion that in football things can change very quickly.

"The people starting these rumours about me leaving should keep quiet," said Silvestre.

"I only lost my place in the side because of an injury to my foot but I know I can get it back.

"In football, the wheel turns fast. I just have to try and be patient.

"I signed an extension to my contract last summer and I am not the sort of person to give in." </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

uh, Mickey....

Vidic's hardman reputation was wiped out during that Chelsea game, Mikael would do him like he did Ljungberg icon_cool.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> "Alan is unfortunate in that the team's form has been great but he still has a long-term future with us."

"The one thing about Alan is he has fantastic courage. He has a great enthusiasm to play football which always gives him a chance.

"If he gets a bit of the game on Tuesday, it will only help him in the later stages of the season when I may need him." </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Mon Smith icon_cool.gif

Archived