The Manchester United thread 2006/2007 - featuring BBB leaving early

foobR

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Can someone tell me the reasons (injuries/bizarre Fergieness) for all our subs yesterday.. there was minimal sound where I was watching it </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Injuries, Vidic had an icepack on his knee, so O'Shea came on to play at RB with Wes moving to the centre. Carrick for Saha was tactical, while I think Evra had a knock aswell.

• Replies 51.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wasn't able to watch the match so I can't comment on Gigg's performance (nice goal though) but I think in general there is no player on the team who divides opinion as much as Giggs does, every single match.

There is a sizeable contingent who believe he is the worst player in the team, wasteful of possession, making poor choices and generally not caring.

Then there are people who will rate exactly the same performance as a MOTM one, believing that his passing was intelligent, work rate good and that he showed good skill on the ball.

Now I personally think that as he is no longer as fast as he once was a large chunk of his game has gone and we need to look for a replacement winger asap as he doesn't have long left. However he is still good enough at the moment. I generally find his passing is intelligent and he makes the right decision more often than not. His crossing has never been great and as he struggles to beat his man more and more he has had to come inside more and more, something he has done quite well this season imo.

I didn't think he was as bad as some made out yesterday.

Wasn't good. But only to the extent that hardly any of them were.

That miscontrol when we had a good counter attack situation and the ball ran off for a throw was mighty frustrating, but in general it was nothing spectacularly bad, and he got the goal with a great finish, which was crucial.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ACou2000:

I didn't think he was as bad as some made out yesterday.

Wasn't good. But only to the extent that hardly any of them were.

That miscontrol when we had a good counter attack situation and the ball ran off for a throw was mighty frustrating, but in general it was nothing spectacularly bad, and he got the goal with a <STRIKE>great</STRIKE> jammy shinned finish, which was crucial. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Agreed, with the one correction.

Theis spot on about Giggsy there.

Although, most of the division over Giggs yesterday, like Nick said, seems to be between the lads at Craven Cottage & the lads who have watched it on TV, where obviously the presentation of the game has led to differing conclusions.

Its funny really (not ha-ha, odd coincidence funny), after catching up on the posts I missed last night after work, and then watching MOTD this morning the first thing I thought when Hansen said Giggs had a good game in the post-match analysis was the balance of opinion in this thread.

What really got me about Match of the day was the highlights they showed of Giggs. Hansen going on about his movement & running off the ball & making him sound amazing. If yo uactually watch the clips though all Giggs does is the same as every other breaking United player did.

The miscontrol was summed up by Hansen something along the lines of 'a bad touch' or something similar. Making out like it was a one off in the game. The fact is he was miscontrolling it quite often & picking the wrong pass. It was so frustrating everytime he got the ball.

The thing is that on the TV, regardless of his odd miscontrol/misplaced pass, with Scholes not on the boil, Carrick having what has legitimately been described as a terrible game, and Ronnie going more individual runs rather than build-up, Giggsy stood out (for me at least) as the one midfielder trying to really prompt stuff around a very combative Fulham midfield.

& Rossigol icon14.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Manchester United defender Gabriel

Heinze claims he is content with his situation at Old Trafford, but has a desire to be handed a chance to play in the centre of defence.

The Argentine has struggled to nail down a regular starting berth this term, having been pushed down the pecking order by Patrice Evra.

Heinze was linked with a move away from Manchester United in January, but manager Sir Alex Ferguson persuaded him to stay in Manchester and even though he is not a regular at present, the defender is content with his role.

"This year things are sorting out well at Manchester United," said Heinze." This weekend Chelsea will not be playing so it would be good for us to beat Fulham so they see us nine points ahead of them.

"I have a good relationship with all my team-mates. I am very close to Cristiano Ronaldo most of all because he is Portuguese and he understands Spanish."

Heinze has forged a name for himself as a rampaging left-back, but he craves the chance to play in the heart of the back four.

I like to play most of all in the centre of the defence but lately I am playing on the left side," he stated. "I have adapted and I am doing well."

Heinze has set his sights on securing a place in Argentina's squad for the Copa America this summer.

"I would like to be recalled to the team for the Copa America," he added. "I hope that my summer holidays will be wearing the Argentinian national team jersey.

"I will have enough time to rest once I am retired.

"The objective of Argentina in the Copa America is not to reach the final, it's to win it, so we must win all the games that we have to play for being the champions.

"It has been a long time since Argentina has won an international title and this could be a good chance." </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by theis:

Wasn't able to watch the match so I can't comment on Gigg's performance (nice goal though) but I think in general there is no player on the team who divides opinion as much as Giggs does, every single match. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

that's probably true, but i don't think it's relevant with regards to yesterday. there does seem a very defined and frankly quite bizarre division between those watching it live and those watching on tv. none of the former have said he did well (not just us five, but on various united forums as well as on the coach back), and i don't think any of the latter have said he was poor yet.

really really strange.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mika:

And don't even mention Eddie Johnson. I remember on here when he was raved about to the same extent that Rossi was. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

it wasn't really to the same extent as rossi.

he was a very good forward at reserve level, i think a lot of the excitement was due to the fact that we don't tend to bring many forwards through the youth system.

Ok just looked at match tickets on Man Utd website and got reminded of our rather brillianty scheduled friendly on 13 of March against a Europe 11. Does anyone else feel this has the potential to ruin our whole season.

If Ronaldo or anyone for that matter were to get injured in this game, it'd be utter madness. And considering the upcoming schedule the last thing needed is a friendly.

I expect nothing less than a second eleven.

Tues 27/2 Reading Away FA Cup

Sat 03/02 Liverpool Away PL

Wed 07/02 Lille Home CL

Sat 10/02 ??Boro?? Away FA Cup

Tues 13/3 Euro XI Home Friendly

Sat 17/3 Bolton Home PL

Utter madness set of fixturs coming up

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by RedBlood:

So the whole first xi will get injured Acou?

This is a big frendly with big names coming over they won't not play the first team

It's ****ing stupid why not do it in may </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

especially as iirc, the signing of the treaty that this friendly marks the anniversary of was actually in may

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DeafParrot:

When do you want me making the thread by lads? Not too early eh, as we don't want it all descending into a big jearm V Mart gougeyoureyesoutfest? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Who says your doing the match thread sunshine? I'm going the game so it should be me.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DeafParrot:

When do you want me making the thread by lads? Not too early eh, as we don't want it all descending into a big jearm V Mart gougeyoureyesoutfest? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thursday?

Friday seems a little late for such a big game while Tuesday would be too early because of the Reading game. Could be Wednesday too, but again, that may be a little early.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by gonch19:

i STILL cant ****ing speak after saturday icon_biggrin.gif

shouted myself so damn hoarse.

that boy ronaldo icon_cool.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Shame your arms are working again though! icon_wink.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Pickles:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JulesMUFC:

got my tickets for reading through icon_cool.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

How much are they face value? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

£36.

james there are quite a few knocking around on RI.

Archived