The Manchester United thread 2006/2007 - featuring BBB leaving early

foobR

• Replies 51.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My flying lessons are conitnuing on a steady basis, but still no sign of long term sponsorship. icon_frown.gif I am kind of putting things on hold for a month or two, because my new girlfriend (who I am far too into :/ ) has yet to decide where she's doing her PhD. I'm not going to go exactly where she is ofc, but I'd prefer to be at least in that area of the country. So we'll see again in April.

I'd like to re-emphasise the 'non-gay' aspect of my above statement. I can't stress how important that part is.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Hewson for England

United midfielder Sam Hewson has been selected for England's Under 19 squad to face Turkey in a friendly on March 21.

The 18-year-old, who has been in scintillating form for United's Academy side this season, made his international bow against Poland at the start of February.

England Head Coach Brian Eastick was suitably impressed with Hewson's efforts in the 4-1 win, as he has retained his place in the 18-man squad to face the Turks at Doncaster's Keepmoat Stadium.

The game will be England's final preparatory game before European Championship qualifying duty in May. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

How good is he Nick?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Young Jimlad:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by RedBlood:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Young Jimlad:

This is totally off topic but is there an OTF non-league thread (Conference et al.) I've missed when using the search function because of a random name?

Don't want to add a new topic if I've missed it unintentionally.

And its not that I want to start a non-league appreciation thread, I've just got a question that needs answering. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

http://community.sigames.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/8191933...532072632#9532072632 </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Awesome, cheers mate.

While you're about, Studio 60 appearing on More4 anytime soon? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>June

Going to have a peak time slot on Channel 4 i hear

Mindgames \o/

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Mourinho also felt that title rivals Manchester United had benefited from some good fortune this year, and that Cristiano Ronaldo was a diver.

"This is a season in which United have had no injuries and every player is fine to play. They go to the Champions League and have a disallowed goal for the opponent [Lille] and their goal is 'that' goal.

"They go to Fulham and it looks like they deserve to lose and they win. They play at Tottenham, it's 0-0 and Cristiano dives, they get a penalty and win 4-0. It looks like everything is on their side, but that's football.

"I didn't see the Fulham game to be fair, but the information I have is that it was completely undeserved. It's a game they could have lost and in the end they win it." </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

Fletcher: FA Cup is special

Darren Fletcher has insisted the FA Cup is still a special trophy and he is more than happy to play two games a week for the rest of the season as Manchester United go in search of silverware.

The Scotland midfielder was speaking ahead of his club's FA Cup sixth round replay against Reading and, although many may feel that the game is a distraction from the Premiership and UEFA Champions League, he is delighted to still be involved.

"The FA Cup is still what it was," he said. "Nobody at the club is saying any competition is more important than another and we definitely regard this as a special tournament.

"It is the business end of the season and we know there will be games now on Saturday, Wednesday, Saturday - right until the last week.

"But that is what you want. That is why you are at a club like Manchester United. That is what we should be doing."

Having won only one of their three encounters with Reading so far this year, Fletcher is well aware of the threat Steve Coppell's men pose.

"We know it will be a tough match. They have been in good form lately and I am sure they will give us a really hard game, as they have on all the other occasions we have played against them.

"Reading have come up from the Championship and earned the respect of everyone.

"They don't have any real stars but they are probably the hardest working side in the league." </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Come on Fletch, be honest, it's because it's the only chance you have of getting a game atm isn't it?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Lille still want Giggs goal to be disallowed

Lille have announced they will appeal against UEFA's decision to throw out the club's protest about the validity of Manchester United's winning goal in the Champions League last week.

UEFA disciplinary chiefs rejected a complaint from Lille, who argued Ryan Giggs' quickly taken free-kick - which secured a 1-0 win for the Red Devils in the last-16 first leg - should not have stood.

The European governing body also charged Lille's players with improper conduct, after the French side threatened to walk off the pitch in disgust at the goal being awarded.

Lille have now said they will appeal against UEFA's verdict.

A statement released on Lille's website, www.losc.fr, said: 'President (Michel) Seydoux and the board of LOSC have decided to appeal against the decision made on Friday by the European authority.'

Lille are complaining that referee Eric Braamhaar should have blown his whistle before Giggs took the free-kick that ultimately won the match for United at Lens' Felix-Bollaert.

Goalkeeper Tony Sylva was left stranded as the quick free-kick curled into the corner while he was lining up his defensive wall.

'The true question is to determine how the Mancunian players came to take so quickly the free-kick that led to the goal, as they showed signs of a different intention,' added the statement.

Lille refer to quotes attributed to Giggs after the match, which appear to say it was the referee who suggested the Wales winger take the free-kick quickly.

The statement continued: 'Following these principles, LOSC have therefore taken the decision to go through with a fight that seems correct to them.'

Lille also claimed last week that Braamhaar 'warned the kicker he should wait for his whistle before restarting the game' at every other free-kick apart from Giggs' match-winner.

The French club also reiterated their players were not attempting a 'walk-off' when they made their way to the sideline moments after the goal was allowed to stand.

Seydoux at the time said the team were merely protesting against the official, but added that 'it was not an attempt to get the game abandoned'.

The statement continued: 'The players thought that, as is the case in French rules, the objection should be made ... at the next stoppage of play following the incident.

'At no moment did (coach) Claude Puel have the intention of making his team leave the pitch.'

Lille claimed they had not been told UEFA affords clubs 24 hours to make a complaint after a match.

Lille could also face charges of breaches of security and safety regulations with respect to last week's game.

United believe a tragedy was only narrowly averted after some of their supporters became crushed into a section of the stadium.

Lille have pointed the finger at United, claiming their early distribution of tickets allowed high-quality fakes to be produced.

Damien Vanoise, the head of security at the Felix-Bollaert, has accused United fans of sparking the problems by 'violent behaviour'.

United will answer the allegations in a report to UEFA. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Okay, there's 'sore loser'. And then there's Lille.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Taz & The Devil:

Can Ronaldo please dive to win a penalty against Lille and then step up to score it for the first goal of the night please. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Could you just imagine the outcry? They would definitely walk off and stay off if that happened.

Oh christ, that reminds me.

It's bad enough when Park plays and his fellow countrymen descend on OT/away grounds but when Dong plays it's gonna be worse.

Take the 3 lads that were at Craven Cottage on satday, couldn't have looked less bored and filmed the game through their camcorder, was praying that one of them would choke on his plastic bottle.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Take the 3 lads that were at Craven Cottage on satday, couldn't have looked less bored and filmed the game through their camcorder, was praying that one of them would choke on his plastic bottle. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Would have been fun if you'd gone to talk to them, and they had a pure Mancunian accent ever. icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by pjburrage:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Take the 3 lads that were at Craven Cottage on satday, couldn't have looked less bored and filmed the game through their camcorder, was praying that one of them would choke on his plastic bottle. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Would have been fun if you'd gone to talk to them, and they had a pure Mancunian accent ever. icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That'd have been awesome.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> With attention turning back to the race for the Premiership title, Jose Mourinho has taken a swipe at Manchester United - claiming they are lucky to be nine points clear of Chelsea.

"They go to Fulham and it looks like they deserve to lose and they win," the Chelsea manager said. "They play in Tottenham, it's 0-0 and Cristiano [Ronaldo] dives, they get a penalty and after that they win 4-0. It looks like everything is on their side, but that's football."

The good fortune, Mourinho said, has even extended to the Champions League, and last week's game against Lille which was settled by Ryan Giggs' hotly disputed free-kick. Mourinho said: "This is a season in which they've had no injuries and every player is fine to play."

Mourinho said he did not watch United's game at Fulham last Saturday as he was travelling to Cardiff for the Carling Cup final, but added: "The information I have is that it was completely undeserved. But football is about this. Sometimes you don't deserve it and you win. It's a game that they could lose and in the end they win it."

Indeed, United, who have 10 games left, could be 12 points ahead of Chelsea if they win at Liverpool in Saturday's lunchtime kick-off, before the champions visit Portsmouth in that evening's fixture.

"We've had one less match than United," Mourinho said. "We have to try to go back to six points. What we have to do is keep going and see if the next step is to close the gap or open the gap. If it's to open the gap then it's very, very difficult. If it's to close the gap and go from six to four, then everything is possible."

After back-to-back League titles with Chelsea, which followed on from the same feat with Porto, Mourinho is facing the prospect of not winning a domestic championship for the first time in five years.

The chances of Chelsea prevailing may also be affected by the fixture calendar. If either they, or United, reach the FA Cup semi-finals, the League match between the two at Stamford Bridge will be moved from 15 April to the last midweek of the season. The fear at Chelsea is that United's lead may be unassailable by then.

However, despite his complaint at United's fortune, Mourinho admitted he had enjoyed his share of luck in the last few years. He added: "My first season here, no injuries, and I remember we had five consecutive matches where we scored in the first minute of the game, and it's over."

* French side Lille will appeal against Uefa's decision to allow Giggs' goal to stand in last week's controversial Champions League tie, it was announced yesterday. Uefa, the European governing body, will consider the appeal on Friday. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

aye mate, not like you's got lucky earlier in the season against Wigan/Reading and the ilk so gtf, nice to know we're getting to you icon_smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BBB:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> With attention turning back to the race for the Premiership title, Jose Mourinho has taken a swipe at Manchester United - claiming they are lucky to be nine points clear of Chelsea.

"They go to Fulham and it looks like they deserve to lose and they win," the Chelsea manager said. "They play in Tottenham, it's 0-0 and Cristiano [Ronaldo] dives, they get a penalty and after that they win 4-0. It looks like everything is on their side, but that's football."

The good fortune, Mourinho said, has even extended to the Champions League, and last week's game against Lille which was settled by Ryan Giggs' hotly disputed free-kick. Mourinho said: "This is a season in which they've had no injuries and every player is fine to play."

Mourinho said he did not watch United's game at Fulham last Saturday as he was travelling to Cardiff for the Carling Cup final, but added: "The information I have is that it was completely undeserved. But football is about this. Sometimes you don't deserve it and you win. It's a game that they could lose and in the end they win it."

Indeed, United, who have 10 games left, could be 12 points ahead of Chelsea if they win at Liverpool in Saturday's lunchtime kick-off, before the champions visit Portsmouth in that evening's fixture.

"We've had one less match than United," Mourinho said. "We have to try to go back to six points. What we have to do is keep going and see if the next step is to close the gap or open the gap. If it's to open the gap then it's very, very difficult. If it's to close the gap and go from six to four, then everything is possible."

After back-to-back League titles with Chelsea, which followed on from the same feat with Porto, Mourinho is facing the prospect of not winning a domestic championship for the first time in five years.

The chances of Chelsea prevailing may also be affected by the fixture calendar. If either they, or United, reach the FA Cup semi-finals, the League match between the two at Stamford Bridge will be moved from 15 April to the last midweek of the season. The fear at Chelsea is that United's lead may be unassailable by then.

However, despite his complaint at United's fortune, Mourinho admitted he had enjoyed his share of luck in the last few years. He added: "My first season here, no injuries, and I remember we had five consecutive matches where we scored in the first minute of the game, and it's over."

* French side Lille will appeal against Uefa's decision to allow Giggs' goal to stand in last week's controversial Champions League tie, it was announced yesterday. Uefa, the European governing body, will consider the appeal on Friday. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

aye mate, not like you's got lucky earlier in the season against Wigan/Reading and the ilk so gtf, nice to know we're getting to you icon_smile.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

in case you missed it

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mika:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JulesMUFC:

dong > park. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Get out. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

haha no i really do love park, but dong has a cooler name and i believe will be super awesome one day. probably not for us but perhaps for a random chinese club possibly scoring against england in a world cup :*).

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Saha:

I like to think of it more as mark realising that Ruud's far too good for the people in this thread.

ruudruudruudruudruud </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Mark showing why he was never fit to start the thread, wp foobs.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JulesMUFC:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mika:

dong > park. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Get out. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

haha no i really do love park, but dong has a cooler name and i believe will be super awesome one day. probably not for us but perhaps for a random chinese club possibly scoring against england in a world cup :*). </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Redeemed yourself well with the scoring against England bit there :*)

i am firmly in the park in ruud sucks [wrong] camp btw, before mika labels me with the rest of the park rubbish brush. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I said nothing icon_biggrin.gif

i am firmly in the park in ruud sucks camp btw, before mika labels me with the rest of the park rubbish brush. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

So, can i check?

You think Park should stay and that it was right for us to sell Ruud?

Am i right in understanding that was what you have just said?

Yeah I posted it this morning with "mindgames \o/" alongside but was cruelly ignored icon_frown.gif

Hope Park plays tonight and proves the heathens wrong icon_cool.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I was gonna reply to it, but i had to fix something in work.

Mart ignored it though of course, he wouldnt be mart if he didnt.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BBB:

It was right to sell Ruud, this debate is hella boring. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Wrong and yes.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by gonch19:

park ifb

i loved it when he was warming up and started clapping to the fans as we sung his name on saturday, such a prince :***) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

He knows his song then? icon_cool.gif

It was right to sell Ruud, this debate is hella boring. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Wrong and yes. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

So you'd have preferred us to have kept Ruud, him having scored a sackful in the premiership and in europe, but nobody else scoring, with us not being in the title race at all by now and already being out of Europe?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by gonch19:

park ifb

i loved it when he was warming up and started clapping to the fans as we sung his name on saturday, such a prince :***) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

He knows his song then? icon_cool.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

yep icon_cool.gif

wonder what he thinks of it though :/

in fairness there was a guy at my school from south korea and he ate dogs so i dont think its too bad

Archived