The Manchester United thread 2006/2007 - featuring BBB leaving early

foobR

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20:

25 next month. disaster icon_frown.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Christ, you need to get a job. I was working when I was 19. icon_wink.gif

Happy Birthday Mart.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Giggs 'can continue until 2010'

Ryan Giggs can continue playing for Manchester United for at least another two or three seasons, according to assistant manager Carlos Queiroz.

Saturday's trip to Liverpool will mark his 700th appearance in a United shirt and his 16th year in the top flight.

Giggs, 33, says he does not know if he can play on beyond the end of his contract in 2008.

But Queiroz told BBC Sport: "We expect his contribution to be another two or three years without any problems."

Former United player Steve Bruce said Giggs could play until he was 37.

"He's still got lots in the locker now," said the Birmingham City manager, also talking exclusively to the BBC.

"It wouldn't surprise me if he goes on and does 20 years at the top because he's got all the attributes to carry on - and make no mistake, he'll still have that same hunger in his stomach that epitomises a top player."

Ryan is really a role model for the game

Queiroz said Giggs's longevity was "a fantastic, outstanding achievement".

"It is very rare to find a player who is able to complete 16 years in one club playing at the level of Giggsy," the Portuguese added.

"It is an outstanding, amazing career. To be not only on top of, but one step ahead of the demands and goals Manchester United have is really something fantastic.

"And that tells us something about his personality, the way he is committed to and his passion for the club and the game, his motivation and concentration at training sessions.

"If you lose that desire, that fifth gear in your stomach, you just can't do it."

Queiroz added: "After 16 years, Giggs is Manchester United. The way he plays, with so much fantasy, creativity and entertainment - but also outside the pitch as a professional - he is really a role model for the game." </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No thanks Ryan, that is too long.

• Replies 51.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by player_65:

happy birthday bbb and wp nick on getting onto the RN main news page </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

ha, just seen that. fame :*)

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Taz & The Devil:

For some reason i thought Nick, BBB and co were all around the 21/22 mark. Anyway happy B-Day.

And Nick since i fell asleep before the reserves started last night how did Ngalula do? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

best i've seen him play in a long time. him and Eagles completely ran the midfield, put in a couple of excellent tackles as well.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by gonch19:

giiiggs, giggs will tear you apart again

:***)

i love that guy </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

My ringtone \o/ Well, the original anyway

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Taz & The Devil:

For some reason i thought Nick, BBB and co were all around the 21/22 mark. Anyway happy B-Day.

And Nick since i fell asleep before the reserves started last night how did Ngalula do? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

best i've seen him play in a long time. him and Eagles completely ran the midfield, put in a couple of excellent tackles as well. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Great stuff. I really thought a lot of him before his injury and thought him very promising but since his big lay off i havent been able to see too much of him and he doesnt seem to be starting too many reserve games.

Anyone else find it mildly depressing that the only members of our first team to have been 'groomed' through the youth team and reserves are just the remaining members of the class of 92?

Even if you expand it to our overall squad, you only add in Brown, O'Shea and Richardson icon_frown.gif

it is pretty dismal. even when your heart says there are a few in the current youth/reserve ranks who could/should make the step up, your head says 'yeah, you've said that about loads of players over the last decade or so'

jonah icon_frown.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by alilaw:

Anyone else find it mildly depressing that the only members of our first team to have been 'groomed' through the youth team and reserves are just the remaining members of the class of 92?

Even if you expand it to our overall squad, you only add in Brown, O'Shea and Richardson icon_frown.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Catchment ruling to blame?

When you take out the class of 92 it is sad that we havent produced a world beater or even anyone good enough to hold down a spot in the first 11 but i have hope that Rossi and Evans will make their mark with Pique also playing a big role.

O'Shea did look like he could be a world beater in 02/03. icon_frown.gif

it is pretty dismal. even when your heart says there are a few in the current youth/reserve ranks who could/should make the step up, your head says 'yeah, you've said that about loads of players over the last decade or so'

jonah icon_frown.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

So many players i'd hoped could make the grade but didnt.

icon_frown.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Asmodeus:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by alilaw:

Even if you expand it to our overall squad, you only add in Brown, O'Shea and Richardson icon_frown.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Catchment ruling to blame? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

partly, more down to our scouting network being a bit gash i suspect.

yes, but isn't that just returning to 'normal'? A club the size of United wouldn't expect to have that many players breaking through...we all know 92 was a total freak. We’ve also had a generation of youth players who’ve been blocked by those 92 lads. Finally, a large number of the ‘senior juniors’ who previously would have been pushing for the squad on occasions are all out on loan.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Asmodeus:

Catchment ruling to blame? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

partly, more down to our scouting network being a bit gash i suspect. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

What Nick said. The Catchment are does take its toll with English kids(Why deny a kid the best facilities and coaches because he doesnt live close to a top club?) but there is no excuse when it comes to foreign players.

Look at Arsenal as an example that a good scouting network can net you some fantastic kids. Traore is only 17 and looks great and then Fabregas was a steal.

Not to mention while older Denilson looks like hes going to be a star as well.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by James07?:

yes, but isn't that just returning to 'normal'? A club the size of United wouldn't expect to have that many players breaking through...we all know 92 was a total freak. We’ve also had a generation of youth players who’ve been blocked by those 92 lads. Finally, a large number of the ‘senior juniors’ who previously would have been pushing for the squad on occasions are all out on loan. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The class of '92 were poached from across the country though weren't they? Surely the catchment ruling has effectively stopped that from happening again?

I very much doubt the scouting network is gash Nick- possibly just geared more toward domestic recruitment than international? The polar opposite of Arsenal's in that respect.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by James07?:

yes, but isn't that just returning to 'normal'? A club the size of United wouldn't expect to have that many players breaking through...we all know 92 was a total freak. We’ve also had a generation of youth players who’ve been blocked by those 92 lads. Finally, a large number of the ‘senior juniors’ who previously would have been pushing for the squad on occasions are all out on loan. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The class of '92 were poached from across the country though weren't they? Surely the catchment ruling has effectively stopped that from happening again?

I very much doubt the scouting network is gash Nick- possibly just geared more toward domestic recruitment than international? The polar opposite of Arsenal's in that respect. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nope. Becks aside they were all local lads.

Giggs is Welsh but was living locally at the time and training with Man City.

Giggs is a Mancunian in that he's been there since he was about 7 years old.

The rest are pretty much all manc, either from Manchester itself or places like Oldham and Bury which are close enough to not be classed as "poaching".

Becks was the only one to my memory that wasn't actually living in the Greater Manchester area before joining.

Prior to the 92 lads though we had more players come through than we currently do. Although one could easily argue that that's to do more with our overall standard at the time not being so high, and allowing lesser player to claim a place in the first team.

The catchment ruling remains fs.

Prior to the 92 lads though we had more players come through than we currently do. Although one could easily argue that that's to do more with our overall standard at the time not being so high, and allowing lesser player to claim a place in the first team.

The catchment ruling remains fs. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's a very good point. Standards are somewhat higher now.

we stole Richardson from West Ham didn't we, so it's not ALL bad for them. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Figures.

Would Oldham or Bury fall under the catchment ruling now though? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

afaik it's just an hour's drive which is the law, so all we have to do for players far away is give them very fast cars.

Ridiculous tbh, I'm sure there are some places in the uk without a pro club within 50-60 miles, and the smaller clubs like Bury, Stockport, Oldham etc are now purely in competition with us, getting only those not deemed good enough for us. Whereas I'm sure there are clubs with no competition in their area at all.

I know Scholes is an Oldham supporter but hes from Salford isnt he? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

he's from Rochdale/Oldham, or at least spent a lot of time there, I know he still drinks up that way.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ericcantona7:

have there been any top class "mancs" come through at other clubs? i.e players we should've spotted? SWP isn't a manc obv, what about Richards? or City's other youngsters? Can't think of the other local clubs producing anyone half decent recently either. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

There was an article on something like F365 a year or two back that did a 'Cities XI'. Manchester remarkably weak for a city of it's size iirc. Basically the Manc class of 92 + Wes Brown + a load of absolute rubbish.

I know Scholes is an Oldham supporter but hes from Salford isnt he? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Salford-born, yeah

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ericcantona7:

have there been any top class "mancs" come through at other clubs? i.e players we should've spotted? SWP isn't a manc obv, what about Richards? or City's other youngsters? Can't think of the other local clubs producing anyone half decent recently either. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

As said above Richards is from brum, didnt City sign him from Oldham though.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

Scholes praise for Carrick

Paul Scholes feels Michael Carrick has shown he can slot into the midfield role vacated by Roy Keane.

Sir Alex Ferguson has spent several seasons trying to find a long-term replacement for his former Manchester United captain, who eventually left Old Trafford in November 2005.

Carrick was signed in an £18million-plus deal from Tottenham Hotspur last summer and has formed an effective partnership with Scholes.

Though the England international lacks the bite and drive Keane possessed, Scholes feels there are similarities between the pair.

"Michael's been a great signing for us and I really think he's helped us get where we are," said Scholes.

"I don't know if Michael is that much of a different player to Roy. They do a similar role.

"I know that I can play alongside him in the team. He's got all the capabilities of a top midfielder and that's what you need at this club.

"It's been really enjoyable and I think we've developed a good understanding.

"I suppose Michael's freed me up a little bit to try and get forward more. I know he doesn't get forward that often." </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Foster ready for top spot

MANCHESTER United have got a world-beating goalkeeper in their ranks.

But it is protégé Ben Foster, not Reds first-choice Edwin van der Sar, who is the main man, according to Aidy Boothroyd.

The straight-talking Watford manager believes Foster - who he has on loan from Old Trafford - is already better than the giant, in-form Dutchman.

And he reckons the youngster, who recently won his first England cap against Spain, can become the best in the world.

Foster, 23, is set to end a successful two-year spell at Vicarage Road in the summer, and Boothroyd said: "I'm sure he will be back at Old Trafford next season and they will find him a better player than ever.

"He's better than Edwin van der Sar in my opinion, but then I'm not picking the United team. He is going to be the best goalkeeper in the world, I'm convinced of that."

Foster was farmed out to the Hornets straight after United signed him from Stoke for £1m in July, 2005.

He was a key part of their promotion drive, a fact that has been recognised by England boss Steve McClaren.

"Ben is a terrific player," added Boothroyd. "He was injured for the 3-0 defeat by Everton and when you lose a player of his quality you really miss him.

"He has such a presence and an ability to start attacks, whether it's on a counter-attack with his long throws or whether it will be lofting a ball down the side for somebody to run onto.

"Even when the back pass comes to him from one side, he can drop the ball onto somebody's feet on the other side. He has exceptional talent and we are going to miss that.

"If you asked him he'd tell you he could play centre forward or left wing but I think he's best where he is. He's part of the team and has a great humility about him.

"He recognises the fact he's just a cog in the wheel. He works harder at his game and that's why I think he'll be a future Manchester United and England number one.''

Foster will return to Old Trafford next season to find hot competition waiting in the form of not only van der Sar but Polish net-minder Tomasz Kuszczak as well. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'd still get another year out of VDS myself.

Archived