The Manchester United thread 2006/2007 - featuring BBB leaving early

foobR

• Replies 51.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Anfield win will keep pressure on Chelsea - Saha

Louis Saha has called on his Manchester United team-mates to put Chelsea through mental torture by beating Liverpool at Anfield tomorrow.

Already nine points clear in the title race, the Red Devils would widen the gap to 12 if they become the first team to beat Rafael Benitez's men on home soil in the Premiership this season.

Given the remainder of their run-in, it is feasible United could even escape Merseyside with a draw and feel confident about lifting the championship trophy in May.

However, with Chelsea due to play the first of what would then be two matches in hand over Sir Alex Ferguson's team at Portsmouth tomorrow evening, Saha knows how much pressure a United win would pile on their only serious rivals.

'It is going to be a massive, massive game at Liverpool,' said the French forward.

'If we get a win at Anfield it will open up a big gap and give us a great psychological advantage for us over Chelsea.

'It would be great to have that gap before Chelsea play but we have to make sure that we concentrate on ourselves and play with confidence.'

Although United do not have a bad record at Anfield, having not lost to Liverpool in the Premiership there since 2001, they failed to score on two visits last term and know it is October since the Reds last conceded a league goal on home soil.

It is perhaps understandable therefore that most people think a win this weekend would be a title-clincher, although Saha is not going quite as far.

'There will still be nine games left, which represents a huge amount of points,' he said.

'We have to keep our concentration because we saw at Reading on Tuesday how quickly gaps can close. The team are playing well and we have to maintain that.'

Ferguson is expected to make a number of changes, with Ryan Giggs - set for his 700th appearance for the club - Paul Scholes, Gary Neville, Wayne Rooney and Cristiano Ronaldo among those certain to return.

Saha will find himself vying for a place with Henrik Larsson and cannot have done his chances too much harm with an outstanding personal performance in the win at Reading.

He also netted his first goal since December, taking his seasonal tally to 13, amid United's flying start at the Madejski Stadium which brought them three goals inside six minutes.

'It was an amazing opening but sometimes, when everyone is in good form at the same time, things like that do happen,' he reflected.

'You work hard in training every day to improve yourself, so it was really nice to see those goals go in.' </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Does King Louis have a missus? Would be fantastic if asked about Chelsea losing the Prem (if they do, of course) she said they could eat cake instead.

Rossi out on loan until the end of the season with no option to recall basically more stupid than that daft friendly.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Lille appeal rejected

Friday, 2 March 2007

UEFA's Appeals Body has ratified the validity of Manchester United FC's 1-0 victory at LOSC Lille Métropole in the UEFA Champions League last week, by backing the decision to reject a protest by the French club concerning Ryan Giggs's winning goal.

Technical error claim

Lille had appealed on Monday against the ruling of the UEFA Control and Disciplinary Body to veto Lille's claim of a technical error by the referee of the first knockout round first-leg tie on 20 February, in allowing Ryan Giggs's match-winning free-kick to be taken without having blown his whistle.

Result valid

The Appeals Body supported the original decision that there was no proof of a technical error, and validated the result in Lens, a 1-0 victory to the English club. Lille will have the possibility of making a further appeal to the Court of Arbitration for Sport within three days of receiving notification of the UEFA Appeals Body's ruling.

©uefa.com 1998-2007. All rights reserved. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Lille will have the possibility of making a further appeal to the Court of Arbitration for Sport within three days of receiving notification of the UEFA Appeals Body's ruling. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Whats the odds on them doing this lads?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mika:

Mon Saha getting to 24 then doing his hamstring. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Considering that I backed him to get to 20, that'll do me nicely.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> FERGIE CONTINUES WAR OF WORDS

Posted 02/03/07 14:40

Sir Alex Ferguson has told Jose Mourinho to "button it" or run the risk of Manchester United going public with their dossier on Chelsea's refereeing rows.

Mourinho attempted to ignite a war of words with United in the aftermath of Chelsea's Carling Cup win last week, claiming the Blues major title rivals were getting all the luck on their championship charge.

Chief among Mourinho's complaints was Cristiano Ronaldo's 'dive' which earned the penalty against Tottenham recently, while Ryan Giggs' controversial Champions League winner against Lille did not escape his attention either.

As the undisputed master of mind games, Mourinho's statement came as no surprise to Ferguson, nor the public pronouncements of Claude Makelele and Michael Ballack which have followed this week.

But while the Scot is in no mood to get drawn into a row as his team look to consolidate their nine-point lead at the Premiership summit at Liverpool on Saturday, Ferguson has a few bits of evidence to fan the flames of controversy even more if Mourinho decides to pursue his line of questioning.

"Jose has been coming out with some stuff about us this week and so have Claude Makelele and Michael Ballack," Ferguson said.

"I have no problem with that. We have probably done things like that ourselves over the years.

"But I think Jose should button his lip until the end of the season because he is the last person to start talking about referees."

It is only two seasons ago that Mourinho accused referee Anders Frisk of going into the Barcelona changing room during a combustible Champions League clash at the Nou Camp.

The allegations were unfounded but Frisk received death threats and ultimately gave up officiating altogether.

And it appears that incident is just one Ferguson has chronicled involving Chelsea over the last few years.

"His (Mourinho's) football club have been involved in so many things with referees over the last couple of years," Ferguson added.

"It seems to me if you contest against Chelsea and they don't get their own way, then something happens either (with) referees or players threatened or things like that.

"They may want to try and unsettle us but I may have some answers. I may be just beginning.

"There is plenty to talk about with Jose and referees and Chelsea and referees. We have a big file but we will leave that for another day."

Although Ferguson accepts he cannot take the moral high ground given the images of Roy Keane leading the charge of United players at referee Andy D'Urso are still fresh in the mind, he looked upon last weekend's melee at the Millennium Stadium with disdain.

And while he defends Arsene Wenger's right to condemn the assistant referee's report on Emmanuel Adebayor's involvement as 'lies', he does so with the caveat that the Frenchman has his facts right.

"Clubs have to take responsibility for their players," he added.

"What happened at the final last weekend was unacceptable and the referee had to try and control it, which was unfortunate for him.

"It was a London derby. Maybe there was a bit of feeling between the two sides that spilled over.

"We are not exempt from this. Over the years, there have been situations we have had to control. Sometimes, you have to hold your hands up.

"Managers involved in that situation have a right to an opinion. You just hope they are right."

With referees under the spotlight as never before, Ferguson noted with surprise that the replacement at Anfield for injured first-choice Graham Poll is the relatively inexperienced Martin Atkinson.

"We have gone from the most experienced referee to the least experienced," said the United boss.

"We need to wait until tomorrow to find out if it will influence the game but it was a big surprise."

With seven wins from 14 visits during the Premiership era, Anfield is not the most daunting of venues for United.

Darren Fletcher and Ole Gunnar Solskjaer, who will be sidelined until the March 31 meeting with Blackburn following a minor knee operation, miss out but Ferguson has enough attacking weapons at his disposal to reject any thoughts of a cautious approach.

"Our instinct is to attack," he said. "We are a better team when we try to win and I don't want us to change.

"We won't be relying on our defending to get a 0-0 and hope to get something on the breakaway." </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Apply that to Europe then icon_mad.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Although Ferguson accepts he cannot take the moral high ground given the images of Roy Keane leading the charge of United players at referee Andy D'Urso are still fresh in the mind, he looked upon last weekend's melee at the Millennium Stadium with disdain. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Fresh in the mind? That was years ago ffs.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mika:

Goes without saying ofc, but I'd snatch your hands off for a draw. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

well that's the way i'm feeling atm, but that's unusual for me, i'm normally quite positive, except for when it comes to europe ofc.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by James07?:

According to my Oracle like predictions, we get beat tomorrow, but still win the league icon_smile.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You do know if we lose tomorrow that this thread will be full of doom merchants for the next few weeks don't you.

Ole news was all we needed. Now its just Rooney, Saha and an off the pace Smith when Larsson goes.

With Rossi though i am delighted there is no release clause. If Rossi came back we probably wouldnt have to use him and then hes back to reserve level again and hes clearly light years above that. Now Rossi starts everygame for Parma and can come back next season and force his way into things.

And Fred can get to ****. How does rossi not look suited to English football, he has played 12 times for us and i think on that evidence he has looked very suited. Just because Roeder stuck him on the wing or up top for a few games when all they did was long ball it doesnt mean he isnt suited.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JulesMUFC:

did anyone on here apply for borough? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

yeah, but even if I do get tickets i'm not going, I went to Reading so I can't afford Boro.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20:

Smithy's autograph icon_cool.gif

reserves won 3-0 tonight against newcastle btw, first half goals from Barnes and Mullan and a brilliant third from Chris Eagles right at the end. very very comfortable, Eagles was brilliant again, between him and the excellent Kieran Lee for man of the match. Smithy was pretty good, typically fiery, Dong had a bit of a mare though. i'm still thawing out, i swear Hyde has it's own microclimate that's 5 degrees colder than the rest of manchester. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

icon_cool.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Tickets for Boro’s FA Cup quarter-final home tie with Manchester United on Saturday March 10 (5.30pm ko) are priced £20 adults and £10 under-16s and over-65s for all areas of the stadium.

They are available to season ticket holders only from 9.30am this Saturday (March 3) via the club’s official website and tickets hotline on 0844 499 1234 or from the main Riverside ticket office.

Season ticket holders have until 7pm next Tuesday (March 6) to claim their usual matchday seat, after which they will be released for general sale from 9.30am on Wednesday (March 7).

South Stand season ticket holders must relocate for this match as Manchester United have been allocated the whole South Stand.

Tickets can be purchased from the Riverside Stadium ticket office between 9.30am and 4pm on Saturday, 10am to 4pm on Sunday, and 9.30am to 7pm Monday and Tuesday.

Tickets are also available from MFC Retail in Captain Cook Square on Saturday between 9.30am and 1pm.

Alternatively, tickets can be purchased 24 hours a day either by calling the club’s tickets hotline on 0844 499 1234 (option 3) or via the Boro’s official website at mfc.co.uk.

Voucher K from season ticket books must be produced together with Red or White Books by season ticket holders purchasing tickets over the counter who wish to book their usual matchday seat. Season ticket holders applying by phone or internet must quote their season ticket patron number for every ticket they wish to purchase.

Those seats not normally used by season ticket holders will be available to South Stand season ticket holders who have to relocate from 9.30am on Monday March 5 to 7pm on Tuesday March 6. They will also be available to South Stand season ticket holders over the counter from 9.30am on Saturday March 3.

General sale of remaining tickets will start at 9.30am on Wednesday March 7.

Non-season ticket holders are advised to retain their ticket stubs from the tie as these may be required should Boro reach the final stages of the competition. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BBB:

Yeah just what I didn't want to hear. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I know what you mean, getting chubbed for tickets is bad but getting tickets and not being able to go is worse. I don't think it's a 100% certain yet though, we might get the whole end but only 1500 tickets in it.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BBB:

Yeah just what I didn't want to hear. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Don't moan when you choose Lilly Allen over United icon_biggrin.gif

Archived