The Manchester United thread 2006/2007 - featuring BBB leaving early

foobR

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mika:

Another player to play for the European XI in that friendly game has been announced.

None other than Henrik Larsson icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Muahahahahahahaha icon_biggrin.gif

• Replies 51.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

On the Man Utd site in the europe XI players section this is what it says

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Henrik Larsson United (on loan) Age: 25 </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If only it was true icon_frown.gif Then probably that "on loan" thingie would be permanent deal.

Due to circumstances beyond my control I ended up watching the game with my father in law on about a 10 minute delay…in the end I couldn’t cope with the last 5 minutes and checked the result on my phone…to say I was surprised would be an understatement. I think I got away with my surprisingly prescient comments as injury time played out.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by alilaw:

Dear CHRIST Saturday still feels so good... icon_cool.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

damn right icon_cool.gif

• Administrators

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by James07?:

7 wins 2 defeats

6 wins 3 draws

you can touch it, but I've so little faith that it'll happen. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

and ultimately it'll be less than either required because Chelsea sure as heck ain't gonna be perfect from here on in.

If only we were to recapture our form of earlier this season during the autumn when we were blowing teams away for fun. If we were in that form now I might actually see us winning the treble. However on current form I can't see it happening at all. Let alone the fact our squad isn't big enough.

league >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> CL this season, by a country mile frankly. like james said, with chelsea's billions, liverpool now having millions and l'arse surely going to actually make a go of it one of these years, who knows when we'll get the chance to win it again - we're certainly not going to go on another run of 93-01 proportions in the current climate, and as much as fergie and ourselves talk of us building another great team, there are still huge question marks over how the hell we're going to replace VDS/Nev/Scholes/Giggs and over the future of our best player, all with the ridiculous debts hanging over us. in the position we're in now if someone said they could guarantee me we'd win the league but at the cost of lille knocking us out on wednesday, i'd take it in a heartbeat.

that's no reflection on my views on the CL, it's a fantastic competition, one in which we should have been more successful in the past and one which i'd love to see us have success in the future. i just can't see us winning both, the league title has ALWAYS meant more (never more so now after a few years without it) to me and, again like james said, you've always got a chance of fluking your way to the CL as you have in any cup competition.

all about getting 22 more premiership points for me, everything else a bonus/distraction

I think if you back to the start of the season everyone stated that they would take first round exits in every cup competition should it mean winning the league. After a three year drought of premiership wins (and after the success of the 90's that is a relatively long time) winning the league would be awesome. I mean after people were starting to write Utd off at the start of the season believing them to be 'a crumbling empire' to come back and win the league would be the ultimate statement.

Well actually winning the treble would be the ultimate statement but we are only talking about possible events here.

not even that sure i want us to win the treble. sounds a strange thing to say i know, obviously i want us to win everything, but it seemed such a unique achievement back in '99, one that had never been done before and would never be done again. obviously if someone else is to do it it'd be ace for it to be us again but that team in '99 was something special. good as this one is and can be, it's not in the same league as that one yet, and winning it would kinda lessen the achievement in '99 a tad.

unless we were to beat city/chelsea in the cup final and then liverpool in the CL final ofc. that would add an even more unique twist to it.

not happening of course. we'd need some semblance of a squad.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20:

not even that sure i want us to win the treble. sounds a strange thing to say i know, obviously i want us to win everything, but it seemed such a unique achievement back in '99, one that had never been done before and would never be done again. obviously if someone else is to do it it'd be ace for it to be us again but that team in '99 was something special. good as this one is and can be, it's not in the same league as that one yet, and winning it would kinda lessen the achievement in '99 a tad.

unless we were to beat city/chelsea in the cup final and then liverpool in the CL final ofc. that would add an even more unique twist to it.

not happening of course. we'd need some semblance of a squad. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

spot on. my sentiments exactly

First off i'd love us to do the double. For me its League > F.A Cup > CL.

I think we can play a team with a lot of second string in and pull out a result at Boro then obviously play the full strength side for the last two games.

Something like this v Boro: Kuszczak, Neville, Brown, Vidic, Heinze, Park, O'Shea, Carrick, Ronaldo, Saha, Larsson

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by theis:

If only we were to recapture our form of earlier this season during the autumn when we were blowing teams away for fun. If we were in that form now I might actually see us winning the treble. However on current form I can't see it happening at all. Let alone the fact our squad isn't big enough. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The thing is though it's not even that, even when we were in good form in the league before Christmas, we were still horrendous away from home in Europe, it's massively frustrating because we do have the squad to make an impact in the CL I think, but our whole approach to European ties is so wrong that we can't make happen. We need to play to our strengths more for me.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Taz & The Devil:

First off i'd love us to do the double. For me its League > F.A Cup > CL. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Bloody hell icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mika:

it's massively frustrating because we do have the squad to make an impact in the CL I think, but our whole approach to European ties is so wrong that we can't make happen. We need to play to our strengths more for me. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

yup. one or two of the senior players need to tell fergie and carlos to back them away in europe. to send the team out to attack. we might very well not win the game, but we'll pick a vital away goal or three.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by theis:

I think if you back to the start of the season everyone stated that they would take first round exits in every cup competition should it mean winning the league. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

At the start of the season I said I'd take a strong second position in the league for a good run in Europe, our classic CL runs of the 90's have been something I've missed recently and watching the likes of Liverpool, Chelsea and Arsenal reaching semis and finals has hurt.

Obviously now we're in a much better position in the league than I ever thought we would be, so losing the league would be more of a disappointment now, but personally if we were to win the CL, it would make up for that.

Like I say though, we're not in a position to pick and choose, I'll take any of the two trophies that comes our way.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Scatter:

it's massively frustrating because we do have the squad to make an impact in the CL I think, but our whole approach to European ties is so wrong that we can't make happen. We need to play to our strengths more for me. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

yup. one or two of the senior players need to tell fergie and carlos to back them away in europe. to send the team out to attack. we might very well not win the game, but we'll pick a vital away goal or three. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah and if we line up 4-5-1 against Lille at OT ala Benfica then I will be fuming. Fergie even comes out in interviews and says "oh we always play much better when we're attacking like we do"

Play that was then ffs icon_mad.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Taz & The Devil:

First off i'd love us to do the double. For me its League > F.A Cup > CL. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Bloody hell icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The CL is way bigger and better to win than the F.A cup but i see no way in which we can win the way Fergie has us play away from home so i'd rather concentrate on winnable trophies.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by gonch19:

this treble talk is so greedy. honestly id be happy just to win 1 of the 2 major trophies this season, the treble just isnt going to happen </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The main reason i've been talking about it is because i want to know how much money i could win if Big Jim's prophecy were to come to fruition.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> "We will be pitching for players," he declared.

"In order to do these deals, we fully understand the need for us to have good teams playing attractive and winning football the Manchester United way. That has always been the case.

"We bought Michael Carrick and Tomasz Kuszczak last summer and we will continue to invest in the team as necessary. The funds are there.

"If you wind the clock back there was clearly some turmoil prior to the takeover.

"Change is always something you have to think about but I spent some time with the [Glazer] family and got to understand what they were all about.

"They have been true to their word.

"They said they wouldn't change things in terms of how it is run, either with Sir Alex Ferguson on the football side and myself on the non-football side.

"They understand stability is a key requirement in any sports team.

"But they have been there when we have needed them, both in finding money for players and improving contracts but also in an equally constructive way with the various sponsorship deals.

"Obviously, you never know but it has worked out pretty well for everyone - the fans, the staff, the manager and the team.

"The owners are there for the long term, which means we can concentrate on areas where we can improve the club in terms of income rather than just fighting fires," he told PA.

"Hopefully now we can look forward to a great end to the season." </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

eurgh, lanky ****** makes me want to vomit.

he's right about the non footbal side, with sacking a sh*t load of staff. spending **** all on players when we had a "25 million transfer kitty"

no wonder he's sucking up when he got a big fat payrise

CUUUUUUUUUUUUUNT

anyone know the defo dates for the champions league quarter finals and semi's if we were to get there and for the fa cups too(i know we'll probbaly slip up somewhere) just need to book the time off work just incase.

or does nobody know the exact dates yet?

FYI icon_smile.gif

Thought I'd do a provisional fixture list assuming we stay in all competitions to the end:

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">

Wednesday, 07 March 2007 UEFA CL Man Utd v Lille (agg 1-0), 19:45

Saturday, 10 March 2007 FA CUP Middlesbrough v Man Utd, 17:30

Tuesday, 13 March 2007 FRIENDLY Man Utd v Europe XI, 20:00

Saturday, 17 March 2007 PREM Man Utd v Bolton, 12:45

Saturday, 31 March 2007 PREM Man Utd v Blackburn, 15:00

Wednesday, 04 April 2007 UEFA CL ?Quarter Final Leg 1?

Saturday, 07 April 2007 PREM Portsmouth v Man Utd, 17:15

Tuesday, 10 April 2007 UEFA CL ?Quarter Final Leg 2?

Saturday, 14 April 2007 FA CUP ?Semi Final?

Wednesday, 18 April 2007 PREM Man Utd v Sheff Utd, 20:00 REARRANGED

Saturday, 21 April 2007 PREM Man Utd v Middlesbrough, 15:00

Wednesday, 25 April 2007 UEFA CL ?Semi Final Leg 1?

Saturday, 28 April 2007 PREM Everton v Man Utd, 12:00

Tuesday, 01 May 2007 UEFA CL ?Semi Final Leg 2?

Saturday, 05 May 2007 PREM Man City v Man Utd, 15:00

Tuesday, 08 May 2007 PREM Chelsea v Man Utd, 13:30 REARRANGED

Sunday, 13 May 2007 PREM Man Utd v West Ham, 15:00

Saturday, 19 May 2007 FA CUP ?Final?

Wednesday, 23 May 2007 UEFA CL ?Final?

</pre>

Severly congested with a potential 8 games in April and then 6 games in the first 3 and a bit weeks of May. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ACou2000:

the treble icon_biggrin.gif

oh and I cannot agree with Nick re: lessening the 99 achievement. Us winning it again would be ffffffffffb.

But quite clearly not gonna happen, who the hell even brought it up in the first place icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Whs.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ACou2000:

the treble icon_biggrin.gif

oh and I cannot agree with Nick re: lessening the 99 achievement. Us winning it again would be ffffffffffb.

But quite clearly not gonna happen, who the hell even brought it up in the first place icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Whs. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

those pesky players managing to still be in three competitions in May icon_rolleyes.gif Of course people are going to talk about it. God only knows what you lot must've been like going into the CL Final in 99 when we had no Scholes or Keane.

icon_wink.gif

Archived