The Manchester United thread 2006/2007 - featuring BBB leaving early

foobR

• Replies 51.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Weststandred:

video of our fans at anfield at the end of the game from the liverpool end. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You redcafe frequenter, you...

random sponsorship news:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Spanish commercial giants Grupo 2002 and ASC have become the latest Platinum Partner of Manchester United, through their subsidiary property company Royal Resorts Sports and Leisure.

The deal will promote residential projects, using the Club’s global marketing platform. The partnership will see the establishment of promotional areas at Old Trafford, as well as stadium advertising, web promotion and direct marketing to build a recognised and trusted brand.

Grupo 2002 is composed of around thirty companies with interests in the real estate, financial and service sectors. Chaired by José Ramón Carabante, this group is present in the Spanish autonomous communities of Madrid, Murcia, Andalusia and Valencia and has been the driving force behind several international level initiatives.

Recently, Grupo 2002 has restructured into two large divisions. One of these concentrates its activities on the real estate sector and the other, Corporación Financiera ISSOS, for whose management Miguel Boyer is responsible, directs its efforts towards different sectors in Spain, the rest of the European Union and further afield.

ASC is a family group with twelve years of experience in the international market and is focused on services in the real estate, financial and business sectors. The group is present in Spain, the United Kingdom, the Scandinavian countries, Germany and Asia, with a strong vocation to support Spanish entrepreneurs who wish to expand abroad and foreign entrepreneurs who wish to open up the Spanish market.

The group is chaired by Pablo Abad Anderson and actively invests in quality and technology processes and corporate advances, complementing its activities with assessment in strategic, legal, fiscal and corporate consulting. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

buy us Torres plz

Squad players 1999:

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">

G: Van der Gouw

D: Brown, Berg, May, Neville P

M: Butt, Blomqvist, Greening

A: Solskjaer, Sheringham

</pre>

Squad players 2007:

G: Kuszczak

D: Heinze, Brown, Silvestre

M: Park, Fletcher, O'Shea

A: Solskjaer, Smith

</pre>

Of course there is no disputing the 99 squad in terms of achievements and also having 4 top class strikers at the peak of their careers who could influence matches. On the other hand I think our current defensive and midfield replacements may just shade the old squad - especially if you take into account the current versatility of both our starters and replacements. Giggs began the 99 final playing right midfield did he not? Of course it's subjective but I think it's a lot closer than the old squad was great, our current squad has no depth.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20:

random sponsorship news:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Spanish commercial giants Grupo 2002 and ASC have become the latest Platinum Partner of Manchester United, through their subsidiary property company Royal Resorts Sports and Leisure.

The deal will promote residential projects, using the Club’s global marketing platform. The partnership will see the establishment of promotional areas at Old Trafford, as well as stadium advertising, web promotion and direct marketing to build a recognised and trusted brand.

Grupo 2002 is composed of around thirty companies with interests in the real estate, financial and service sectors. Chaired by José Ramón Carabante, this group is present in the Spanish autonomous communities of Madrid, Murcia, Andalusia and Valencia and has been the driving force behind several international level initiatives.

Recently, Grupo 2002 has restructured into two large divisions. One of these concentrates its activities on the real estate sector and the other, Corporación Financiera ISSOS, for whose management Miguel Boyer is responsible, directs its efforts towards different sectors in Spain, the rest of the European Union and further afield.

ASC is a family group with twelve years of experience in the international market and is focused on services in the real estate, financial and business sectors. The group is present in Spain, the United Kingdom, the Scandinavian countries, Germany and Asia, with a strong vocation to support Spanish entrepreneurs who wish to expand abroad and foreign entrepreneurs who wish to open up the Spanish market.

The group is chaired by Pablo Abad Anderson and actively invests in quality and technology processes and corporate advances, complementing its activities with assessment in strategic, legal, fiscal and corporate consulting. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

buy us Torres plz </div></BLOCKQUOTE>nah, gave the Glazers families a couples villas iirc.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20:

not even that sure i want us to win the treble. sounds a strange thing to say i know, obviously i want us to win everything, but it seemed such a unique achievement back in '99, one that had never been done before and would never be done again. obviously if someone else is to do it it'd be ace for it to be us again but that team in '99 was something special. good as this one is and can be, it's not in the same league as that one yet, and winning it would kinda lessen the achievement in '99 a tad.

unless we were to beat city/chelsea in the cup final and then liverpool in the CL final ofc. that would add an even more unique twist to it.

not happening of course. we'd need some semblance of a squad. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Whilst it is true that winning the treble isn't going to happen, I have to disagree with the rest of your post.

Winning the treble once was unbelievable. But winning it twice imo would in no way detract from the initial win. But it would be the most awesome thing ever. To do something twice which has only ever been described as unique, within the space of a decade would be so amazing. Would truely cement Ferguson as a legend.

P.S. Any team that were to win a treble imo would deserve to win it.

you're entirely right of course. i suspect i'd agree if by some bizarre occurence it happened. still think this team is light years away from the '99 vintage though. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

So was Liverpool's team that won it recently.

If they can win it, then this side can win it too.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by hairwad:

Squad players 1999:

G: Van der Gouw

D: Brown, Berg, May, Neville P

M: Butt, Blomqvist, Greening

A: Solskjaer, Sheringham

</pre>

Squad players 2007:

G: Kuszczak

D: Heinze, Brown, Silvestre

M: Park, Fletcher, O'Shea

A: Solskjaer, Smith

</pre>

Of course there is no disputing the 99 squad in terms of achievements and also having 4 top class strikers at the peak of their careers who could influence matches. On the other hand I think our current defensive and midfield replacements may just shade the old squad - especially if you take into account the current versatility of both our starters and replacements. Giggs began the 99 final playing right midfield did he not? Of course it's subjective but I think it's a lot closer than the old squad was great, our current squad has no depth. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, but it's not just that the squad depth there is better, the 1st XI was better as well.

From the back 5, Rio would make the '99 first XI, and Neville is still there. From the midfield, Ronaldo this season would be in contention, but Beckham and Giggs were both awesome that year. Scholes this year, for all that he's been great, was better in '99. And up front, there's no way that Rooney and Saha have been a better combo than Yorke and Cole who were utterly awesome that year. So you're looking at best maybe 3 players from the 1st XI making the '99 team.

Then for the reserves, while i agree it's closer than is made out, first of all any of those players is coming into a stronger 1st team. Then i'd argue over the reserves. Up front is no argument. Then in midfield, i'd take the '99 Butt over either Fletcher or O'Shea, and i'd take Blomqvist over Park. In defence, there's not a lot in it, i grant you. But given all that, the current vintage only really stacks up in reserves strength at the back, and that's about it.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Gregg Carter:

i mean't the champions league.

Wasn't specifically talking about the treble.

You've posted similar comments in the past about the team being "light years away" from winning the CL, so assumed that was the same angle you were playing. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

well no, it was fairly clear i was referring to the treble really

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Gregg Carter:

You've posted similar comments in the past about the team being "light years away" from winning the CL, so assumed that was the same angle you were playing. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

well no, it was fairly clear i was referring to the treble really </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, but it's also fairly clear which bit of the treble we're least likely to win.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mark g:

well no, it was fairly clear i was referring to the treble really </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, but it's also fairly clear which bit of the treble we're least likely to win. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

well.... yeah, but that's irrelevant icon_biggrin.gif

gregg's completely misread my post and tried to be clever, i'm just trying to correct him while making him look a bit silly. butt out icon_mad.gif

what mark said.

Schmeichel was the best gk this country has ever seen, if not the world, regardless of how good VDS was, and VDG was better than Kuzscazak.

Stam had his best season in '99 and was better than any centre back we currently have, for that year at least. fwiw Brown was fb that year too, hardly put a foot wrong.

Neville is probably better now due to experience, but the Neville/Ronaldo partnership isn't as good as the Beckham one.

Irwin, legend nuff said.

Beckham was at his peak, and as good as Ronaldo is now, Beckham was so much more effective back then, his style of play just suited Yorke and Cole perfectly, cross: goal, cross:goal.

Keane>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Carrick

Scholes>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Scholes

Giggs>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Giggs

Yorke and Cole as a partnership>>>>Rooney and Yorke, in fact Rooney has been pretty average this year.

Then you get onto the reserves.

Solskjaer>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Solskjaer

Sheringham>>>>>>>>>>>>>Smith

Blomqvist=Park maybe

Butt>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Richardson

Johnsen>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>O'Shea

I understand what Nick is saying, this team don't really deserve the treble, but I really want Scholes to win the CL so, league and ECL please icon_smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ericcantona7:

Johnsen>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>O'Shea </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

bit harsh on Ronny, he was very much first-choice partner for Jaap that season. Henning Berg played more than Wes as well.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ACou2000:

But quite clearly not gonna happen, who the hell even brought it up in the first place icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

it was john o'shea actually. icon_biggrin.gif

then he made his first real contribution to what he believes will be the first of three trophies a few weeks later in front of the kop. icon_cool.gif

All this talk about squad strength in defence is due to signing Vidic and Evra last January and they've gone on to be first pick of course.

However, doesn't this make you think that why aren't we also trying to sign squad players of a similar level in midfield? Both the above were already internationals with other clubs interested, yet United shelled out the money. We're to believe that there are funds available. Hargreaves is a good player and I'd love to see him at United, but aren't there other decent midfielders out there?

It just seems a bit strange that 2 defenders were signed so quickly and easily when the midfield area was in more desperate need and since then only Carrick has joined

All this talk about squad strength in defence is due to signing Vidic and Evra last January and they've gone on to be first pick of course.

However, doesn't this make you think that why aren't we also trying to sign squad players of a similar level in midfield? Both the above were already internationals with other clubs interested, yet United shelled out the money. We're to believe that there are funds available. Hargreaves is a good player and I'd love to see him at United, but aren't there other decent midfielders out there?

It just seems a bit strange that 2 defenders were signed so quickly and easily when the midfield area was in more desperate need and since then only Carrick has joined

Just to throw a random tuppence into the mix in the CL debate thats been simmering, as well as the '99 team being superior to its modern day counterpart, I'd also argue that it also had to face, in actuality as well as potentially if the draw had gone a different way, a set of teams that were on the whole stronger than the current set of teams in the competition.

Can't remember the whole spread to back this notion up mind you but thinking back I definitely get the sensation that the CL field itself had more competitive teams back in 98/99.

I'll go have a look and see if I'm talking out of my arse or not...

Okay maybe I am talking rubbish on this one, but it was a different format back then and less teams in the mix so its not directly comparable.

Can't remember a lot of about how the teams that didn't qualify from the groups were made up so its difficult to throw a wildcard into the QF qualifiers from 98/99, but just looking at them:

Real Madrid, Dynamo Kiev, Inter, Juventus, Olympiacos, Bayern, Kaiserslautern & us.

...its only Olympiacos and Kaiserslautern of that set that can't claim to at least be troublesome, and as it was we probably got the hardest route anyway. In saying that, Real were inconsistent enough to lose 12 in the league that season and finish second, and Inter & Juve were both very poor on domestically that year. To take the edge off that all three of those teams had some very good players in their ranks, Kiev still had Sheva I think, but at the end of the day the best two teams rose to the top, which is arguably rare in a cup competition and given recent history.

Looking at the current crop of teams, Porto, Lille, PSV and Celtic can all be tagged as probably a bit stronger than Olympiacos/Kaiserslautern.

Roma, Bayern, Madrid, Milan & Liverpool are all in or around (+/-) the Real/Inter/Juve level described above.

Then arguably ourselves, Chelsea, Lyon, Valencia, Inter, Arsenal & Barca are all an edge over them, with small positives and negatives in terms of quality and performance in any given match turning the tide.

Obviously thats not altogether measured and is based on the general form vs. quality of their probable starting XI and not taking into account that I actually expect the QF lineup to be:

Chelsea, Liverpool, Lyon, Valencia, Arsenal, Real Madrid, Milan & us.

That 8 vs. 98/99 QF 8; even with Valencia, Real and Milan not having stellar seasons overall, Arsenal still growing at this level, us needing all our top boys on form, Rafa being a better CL manager than a Premiership manager, Lyon playing in an inferior league in comparison to their overall quality (basically modern day Kiev in some ways) & Chelsea's form affected by irregularity based on injuries or players in poor/average form even if still grinding out results, is probably more competitive than back then. Of course the field was smaller and the competition just different enough for it to make a difference back then, and given our form, luck and quality we'd have been very much in the mix anyway (I still think we'd have won it) if it was as competitive as it looks to be now.

Did that arrive anywhere near a point at all...?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Taz & The Devil:

Talking of the 99 side Berg was brilliant. I'll always remember that clearence against Inter milan, pure magic. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

He was my Silvestre of the day icon_cool.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mark g:

Yeah, but it's also fairly clear which bit of the treble we're least likely to win. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

well.... yeah, but that's irrelevant icon_biggrin.gif

gregg's completely misread my post and tried to be clever, i'm just trying to correct him while making him look a bit silly. butt out icon_mad.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mika:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Taz & The Devil:

Talking of the 99 side Berg was brilliant. I'll always remember that clearence against Inter milan, pure magic. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

He was my Silvestre of the day icon_cool.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

But he was good icon_confused.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Terry Cheung:

It just seems a bit strange that 2 defenders were signed so quickly and easily when the midfield area was in more desperate need and since then only Carrick has joined </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

At the time people knew we needed to strengthen the Midfield. A lot of people, including people in this thread believed the defence didn't need strengthening.

As a result, it would have put us in a better position. Other teams wouldnt have been expecting bids for defenders so we were able to get decent prices for them before they were hiked up.

Archived