The Manchester United thread 2006/2007 - featuring BBB leaving early

foobR

• Replies 51.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ACou2000:

it would definitely be awful.

shuddering at the thought.

just IMAGINE a United/Liverpool final though.... I'm honestly not sure my heart could take the full 90 minutes.

ffs I was even suffering chest pains watching us vs Reading the other week icon_biggrin.gif ..which may have been linked to why I was ranting so much after that game... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Fairly sure when i'm old and looking back on my life that final would be in the top 3 most memorable nights of my life no matter the result

if we c*ck this up tomorrow thanks to resting players on top of having a few injury absentees I'm gonna be extremely annoyed

should just go straight for the throat, impose our game on Lille, get a couple of goals, and cruise through. DO IT FERGIE

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by alilaw:

We'll be fine tomorrow. I'm completely unbothered by it.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

let's hope Fergie isnt in the same mind-set though eh

"och aye och aye the noo

what harm could playing Richardson do?"

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20:

i'm actually getting a bit nervous about tomorrow. might just sleep until half 6 to avoid a day of bricking it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

So you're going to get up early just because there's a match on?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mark g:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20:

i'm actually getting a bit nervous about tomorrow. might just sleep until half 6 to avoid a day of bricking it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

So you're going to get up early just because there's a match on? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bagpuss:

Who has BBB passed my Boro ticket off too?? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

not entirely sure. jonny or james i think. he's promised mine to jules without me actually saying i'm not going yet, the plum.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Tony Sylva

"Giggs is very intelligent, but I am not happy with the way he scored his goal at all. Football is a sport and it is necessary to play a clean game, to play without tricks. Giggs didn't do this. If you analyse the rules, I believe that the goal should have been cancelled and that Giggs should have received a yellow card. We are still furious with the referee that night and with the players of Manchester United. The English claim they are the kings of fair play but that night they demonstrated they are experts in anti- sporting behaviour. The final score was totally unjust and United did not deserve the victory." </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

wanting giggsy carded icon_biggrin.gif

paddy on life at united:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">"For quite a long period before I came here things were easy for me - I was playing every week for my club and my country. But when I moved to Manchester I found life difficult. It made me realise how important it is to work hard all the time at a club like United. The boss was fantastic with me during that time. He never once told me I was a bad player or got on my back. He recognised I needed time to adapt and he supported me. He told me to look to this season and make sure I was ready. I wanted to show everybody at the club what I could do, so I spent a lot of time working in the gym on my own last summer building up my physical strength. I'm very grateful for the support I have received from everyone at the club, especially the fans. They have always supported me and I will never forget that. It's a privilege to play for Manchester United and every day I thank God that I have that privilege." </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

on ronaldo:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">"I'm convinced he sleeps with the ball, eats with the ball and watches TV with the ball! Every time he has a ball at his feet he will try a new trick. He's unbelievable." </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

on dressing room banter:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">"Everybody jokes with me about my clothes and because I'm only 5ft 8ins all the lads are always reminding me that I'm quite small. Cristiano and Wazza kill me every day and write S (for small) on my stuff! Before a recent game Wazza stuck my picture in the mascot section of the matchday programme to make out I was as small as the mascot! I laughed so much I was nearly crying but I've kept the programme as a memento." </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

on his 20 siblings:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">"I'm always on the phone and all the lads joke with me asking what number sibling I'm talking to! It was great when we were younger because we could play a whole football tournament together! I love being part of a big family and it's beautiful when everyone is together." </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

what a guy icon_cool.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">'Paul Scholes has been cleared to play in Manchester United's prestigious charity match against a European Select XI at Old Trafford next week.

The former England star faced missing out on the March 13 game - which will celebrate both the 50th anniversary of United's entry into Europe and the Treaty of Rome - because of his red card at Liverpool on Saturday.

However, the Football Association have concluded that because Scholes is free to play in Wednesday night's Champions League encounter with Lille at Old Trafford, he should also be eligible for the charity game, when a full-strength United side will tackle a combined team - including Ronaldinho and Steven Gerrard - managed by Marcello Lippi.

It is a piece of double good news for Scholes from Soho Square as it has now been confirmed the 32-year-old will only be suspended for three games for his air swipe at Xabi Alonso.

As he was also red-carded during a pre-season clash with FC Porto, there had been fears Scholes would be banned for an extra game.

However, as that was not a designated first-team fixture under FA rules, his violent conduct dismissal only resulted in a suspension at that time.

It means Scholes will miss Saturday's FA Cup trip to Middlesbrough, plus the Premiership encounters with Bolton and Blackburn at Old Trafford on March 17 and 31, before being available again for the Easter Saturday encounter with Portsmouth at Fratton Park.' </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

wow, that's certainly a weight off my mind

reserves lost 2-0 at wigan btw, unsurprising considering wigan fielded a team that wouldn't have looked out of place starting a premiership game (aghahowa, cotterill, de zeuuw, kilbane, granqvist, haestad, johansson, valencia and carlo nash all started) and our team was: heaton - lee, chester, lea, séan evans - mullan, eagles, n'galula (cleverley 46), barnes (cathcart 46) - burns, dong (brandy 68).

wigan's goals from aghahowa and johansson inside the first quarter of an hour, decent performance from us after that by all accounts. will be good experience for them, although it's a missed opportunity in terms of the league.

That charity match is on my birthday icon_cool.gif

Anyway I'm hoping that the charity match isn't going to be a hiderance on our schedule, though its bound to be a classic. Anyone remember Sir Fergies testimonial a few years back? One of the best friendlies I have ever seen. Entertainment from start to finish.

icon14.gif

this one will be dire. it could have been quite entertaining if held in may after the season ended, but everyone will go through the motions even more than in your average friendly and every united fan will sit there praying for ninety minutes that all our players remain unscathed.

actually quite annoyed gerrard and carragher will be on the other team, only takes one sly hack from them on ronaldo and we're shafted. although i suppose they're both evertonians deep down so shouldn't really be that concerned.

actually, forgive me for rambling, but this match could throw up a few potentially interesting/worrying side issues if we should progress tomorrow and then draw a team who is sending players to play in this friendly. lyon and barca are out, but i believe a load more names are being announced at the back end of this week. say madrid agree to send a few and then we draw them - what's to stop a naughty tackle or two from either side?

might phone in a bomb scare next wednesday, best for all concerned really

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">'Paul Scholes has been cleared to play in Manchester United's prestigious charity match against a European Select XI at Old Trafford next week.

The former England star faced missing out on the March 13 game - which will celebrate both the 50th anniversary of United's entry into Europe and the Treaty of Rome - because of his red card at Liverpool on Saturday.

However, the Football Association have concluded that because Scholes is free to play in Wednesday night's Champions League encounter with Lille at Old Trafford, he should also be eligible for the charity game, when a full-strength United side will tackle a combined team - including Ronaldinho and Steven Gerrard - managed by Marcello Lippi.

It is a piece of double good news for Scholes from Soho Square as it has now been confirmed the 32-year-old will only be suspended for three games for his air swipe at Xabi Alonso.

As he was also red-carded during a pre-season clash with FC Porto, there had been fears Scholes would be banned for an extra game.

However, as that was not a designated first-team fixture under FA rules, his violent conduct dismissal only resulted in a suspension at that time.

It means Scholes will miss Saturday's FA Cup trip to Middlesbrough, plus the Premiership encounters with Bolton and Blackburn at Old Trafford on March 17 and 31, before being available again for the Easter Saturday encounter with Portsmouth at Fratton Park.' </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

wow, that's certainly a weight off my mind </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It would have been SO awesome if that crappy friendly game would have counted for one of the games in his ban icon_biggrin.gif

Everybody would have called Fergie a tactical mastermind icon_biggrin.gif

with a fair bit of discussion about drawing liverpool next and someone else mentioning Valencia, is no-one at all concerned about tonight's match and going through?

I've got this nagging feeling at the back of my mind we're going to **** it up get knocked out

As long as Fergie fields the strongest team he can i am very confident going into tonight. Look to put the tie to bed and then rest a few.

If we do progress then its great that Lyon and Inter went out, i thought them both two of the best teams left in and would be happy to get either Valencia or Roma in the next round.

And Evra is brilliant. Who would have thought they(He & Vida) would have become as loved as they are after the starts they had?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Tony Sylva

"Giggs is very intelligent, but I am not happy with the way he scored his goal at all. Football is a sport and it is necessary to play a clean game, to play without tricks. Giggs didn't do this. If you analyse the rules, I believe that the goal should have been cancelled and that Giggs should have received a yellow card. We are still furious with the referee that night and with the players of Manchester United. The English claim they are the kings of fair play but that night they demonstrated they are experts in anti- sporting behaviour. The final score was totally unjust and United did not deserve the victory." </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

wanting giggsy carded icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That whole thing is rather rich coming from a Frenchman.

Archived