The Manchester United thread 2006/2007 - featuring BBB leaving early

foobR

filtering through the last 2 pages, alilaw a bit silly for cheering silvestre's injury but mika's hypocrisy even sillier. and then saying he's never wished injury on our players when about 2 pages earlier he wished richardson would break both his legs icon_biggrin.gif

as for the game itself we were poor but job done, though if we play like that over 2 legs in the next round we will definitely go out.

i want bayern or valencia please, well fancy a trip to the allianz arena tbh.

ANYONE BUT LIVERPOOL/CHELSEA

• Replies 51.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by alilaw:

I'm leaning incerasingly towards Park on the wing with Ronnie up top.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sounds good to me, if we ever were to sign some other good wingers I'd love to see Ronaldo permanently up top.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by gonch19:

filtering through the last 2 pages, alilaw a bit silly for cheering silvestre's injury but mika's hypocrisy even sillier. and then saying he's never wished injury on our players when about 2 pages earlier he wished richardson would break both his legs icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Because there's no difference in making a joke about something that hasn't happened and cheering someone who has had what looks like a serious injury icon14.gif

Game's up Mika

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

Originally posted by Mika:

I seriously hope keiran richardson has a nuclear bomb dropped on him, and that he breaks his face, and that the leftovers are fed to his children in the form of a chilli.

and I'm NOT joking either.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mika:

Dong has been poor in the reserves so far according to Nick, I'm not really considering him as a serious option yet. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

How many players have looked awesome in the reserves and not been able to make the grade?

Can't be any harm in having him on the bench really and seeing how he goes.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Gregg Carter:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mika:

Dong has been poor in the reserves so far according to Nick, I'm not really considering him as a serious option yet. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

How many players have looked awesome in the reserves and not been able to make the grade?

Can't be any harm in having him on the bench really and seeing how he goes. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah true, I think that at this stage of the season I'd rather play Giggs up top or something though for his experience and I think that's the way Fergie will go. I think that was partly why he loaned out Rossi too.

Just in case, get your tl;dr’s ready…

Last night…

Drab performance with a smattering of moments to enjoy. I know that its ultimately results that matter, but the last few games we’ve really gone off the boil as far as performances go, and bar the circumstances of the Liverpool game, it doesn’t bode well with the amount of injuries/suspensions we’ve picked up in the last week or so and the imminent departure of Henrik.

Obviously the front-line injuries are our biggest concern. Last night Rooney was misfiring from out-wide, understandably to some extent since its not his position, but he’s still not showing any consistent verve or aggressive confidence in his play and that is our major concern with Saha & Ole out for the next month and probably missing every game between Boro at the weekend and Pompey at the beginning of April. With our players dropping like flies the absurdity of this mid-season friendly is multiplying exponentially. On the up side, Smithy looked stronger, brighter and more competitive than he did back in the autumn and that was one of the few plus points to be taken out of last nights affair. As for the other subs, neither JSP nor KR did anything noteworthy.

Defensively we looked less than composed as a unit, but at times excellent as individuals. Silvestre managed to do very well at winning the ball on a number of occasions (I assume his inclusion over Gabby was to deal with the ultimately non-existent threat of Kader’s pace on the right), only for his distribution to let him down woefully moments later. Vidic was shaky again, and I’m becoming slightly concerned about the timing of his dip in form more than most given his recent excellence. His countless passes back to VDS rather than prompting forward movement when he received the ball was probably the most frustrating element of the first half. Gary was fairly average last night I thought, ineffective as an attacking asset, inconsistent in the tackle, and surprisingly lacking in positional awareness at times. Thank god for Rio and VDS who were by comparison relatively flawless (one or two very minor slips by both).

JOS seemed to share Silvestre’s “good work, bad work†ethos of last night. Plenty of decent instances breaking up play, only to be offset by misplaced & under-hit passes or slow reactions when it came to making a play for 50/50 balls. Carrick wasn’t immune from this ethos either but did better than the other proponents of it, somewhere in the range of 65/35 for me. Its all well and good being the deep playmaker type, setting a tempo with Scholes and keeping possession, but he needs to enhance his game to involve himself higher up the field at times like the current masters at that sort of game (the likes of Pirlo & Xavi) rather than remain a limited version of it. Last nights attempt at a 451/4231 wasn’t necessarily the ideal time to do it, but not taking a chance to move from deep when Larsson in particular was clearly lacking support is frustrating, especially with so many wasted high balls from the back/deep midfield. Looks like he’s lacking in confidence more than I’d expect as well for some reason.

Actual positives from last night (in addition to 1 sub and 2 defenders) were the final triumvirate of the starting XI. Some of Scholes & Larsson’s link up play was a delight although neither played near a perfect game, and the latter’s goal was a great way to leave OT considering his afore mentioned isolation. Such a legend. Scholesy, hampered by a similar isolation in an advanced midfield role, prompted and worked as much as he could, but couldn’t break through Lille’s organisation himself. Assuming we don’t falter too much/at all in his absence, a rested Scholesy will be a boon for us in April & May. Hell it’ll be a good thing anyway, but more so depending on the outcome of the next 3 domestic fixtures. Ronaldo, as has been said, was our best wide outlet last night and I’ve got to admit when he ran down the left and had three Lille defenders around him and was completely isolated from the rest of our team I didn’t think anything was going to come of it. Then he pulls the cross out of the bag; Larsson rises like a Swedish salmon in front of us, connects with his forehead, and the net ripples. Great stuff.

MOM: Cristiano Ronaldo – match-winning threat.

2ND: Rio Ferdinand – currently a more consistent rock for us defensively than anyone else and arguably the on form centre-back playing top level football at the minute.

Our next fixtures…

Boro (FA Cup); not bothered if we win or lose at the minute given recent injuries/suspensions/departures.

European XI; just ****ing cancel it.

Bolton; could be slippy but they aren’t in the best form & iirc they aren’t the best in midday fixtures historically. Could be thinking of someone else on that count thought.

Blackburn; so very concerned about this one more than any pre-Chelsea.

Pompey; real slip-up territory but not as much as Sparky’s men IMO.

RE – Potential CL Opponents:

In order of preference…

PSV – On paper arguably they’re the weakest opposition, but still potentially troublesome.

Roma – Only if we’re at home first. Given Roma’s away form fluffing a trip to the Eternal City and needing a result at OT is a less than ideal scenario.

Milan – Depends if their big game players turn up en-masse or whether we only have to deal with Kaka.

Bayern – The result against Madrid could kick-start their season & Hitzfeld is a wily old hand in this competition.

Valencia – I actually think that if the draw goes for them they’ll be one of the finalists. Could really do with them taking out Chelsea or Liverpool.

Chelsea – don’t want any psychological knocks from them at this stage in the season.

Liverpool – can’t be doing with the undue hype, pressure, conflict & repetitive EPL competition.

RE: Juan Seba Veron

Legend icon_cool.gif

Rooney with no goals in his last 8 games shocker. To all those who said "OMG HE'S BACK icon_cool.gif" after his 2/3 goals in January, I think over the long term the doubters have been proved right so far.

Mon a return to form while the rest of our strikers are out to prove me wrong please.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by pjburrage:

I'd actually take Fergie upfront at the moment, still got that spring in his neck, could win many a header. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If he scored though the celebrations would be more embarrassing than Alan Shearer's Nazi salute.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Young Jimlad:

...Larsson rises like a Swedish salmon in front of us... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by gonch19:

look i loved veron as much as the next person when he joined, but in the cold light of day a legend he ain't </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

He's so much more icon_cool.gif

King legend.

and smith to start v boro please </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If he doesn't then Fergie needs his head examining.

what actually are the rules regarding recalling people from loan deals?

because i know charlton recalled jonathan fortune a few weeks back, so it doesnt seem to be a uniform 'no recalls' policy.. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It is all dependent on the agreement between the clubs.

If you state that you are able to recall given certain situations then you are able to. If you make an arangement that you cannot recall him, then you cannot.

STOP LIVING IN THE PAST MIKA YOU SICKEN US ALL

Just as a thought after reading Jim's post, if we do go on to win the title it'll be because of Rio most of all.

And it must be getting late, I misread 'net ripples'.

Longer-term Rooney doubt a simultaneous ftw/ftl unfortunately.

Well, Fortune was on loan domestically to Stoke on a short term deal so that could have been a factor, but I assume each loan deal is structured on the basis of both clubs negotiating in certain clauses (can be recalled etc.) within certain regualtions.

This is further speculation but I can only assume that Rossi's deal was deemed "no recall" because of United/Parma's negotiations or they are limited by the fact that its an international loan deal between two teams in the top division of different countries and is treated as such, i.e. no movement outside of the transfer window.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Saha:

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

But sir! Jimlad started it!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by James07?:

Wow, Jimlad really takes verbosity to a whole new level. Why bother with a pithy single sentence when something can be drawn out into a couple of meandering paragraphs? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Pithy isn't in my writing locker unfortunately.

Anyway, prefer to be the Yin to everyone else's Yang.

And what happens if I stop and it jinxes us in the run in? How could I live with myself?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Saha:

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

But sir! Jimlad started it! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually if we're pointing fingers I'll direct you to Taz's post somewhere in the last 3 pages that made me want to add that last bit.

And Mika's right - KING LEGEND JUAN SEBA VERON icon14.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Young Jimlad:

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

'writing locker' icon_biggrin.gif

You ain't Toby Ziegler dude.

If he doesn't then Fergie needs his head examining. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yep, its got to be Smith + Larsson vs. Boro. No way around it.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Gregg Carter:

what actually are the rules regarding recalling people from loan deals?

because i know charlton recalled jonathan fortune a few weeks back, so it doesnt seem to be a uniform 'no recalls' policy.. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It is all dependent on the agreement between the clubs.

If you state that you are able to recall given certain situations then you are able to. If you make an arangement that you cannot recall him, then you cannot. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

are you sure about that? is there not some rule stating that a loan involving a move to another country = no possibility of recall?

because if not we have been incredibly stupid re rossi's loans to both newcastle and parma

If he doesn't then Fergie needs his head examining. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yep, its got to be Smith + Larsson vs. Boro. No way around it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

no rooney?

personally id have done with larsson, he's going anyway so we need to look at the bigger picture i.e. rooney and smith coming up with some semblance of a partnership upfront

My favourite Seba moment was probably that goal early on, against Everton or Ipswich or something, the 1-2 with Keane. After that I really thought he was made for us icon_frown.gif

I was far more annoyed with him going than I was with Becks leaving that summer.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by James07?:

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

'writing locker' icon_biggrin.gif

You ain't Toby Ziegler dude. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Which term would make you more comfortable? "Skill Set" perhaps?

And don't worry, I know I'm not even a Will Bailey icon_frown.gif

Anyway, wordy (if terribly repetitive) analysis of United in this thread is what I do so I'm sticking with it.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by pjburrage:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I know I'm not even a Will Bailey </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

More Ed or Larry tbf. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Now that hurts. icon_frown.gif

Archived