The Manchester United thread 2006/2007 - featuring BBB leaving early

foobR

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mika:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Reds receive injury boost

United were given a major lift on Friday morning with the news that the injuries sustained by Louis Saha and Darren Fletcher are not as serious as first feared.

Saha, who pulled up with a tight hamstring in training earlier this week, was looking at a month-long lay-off, while an ankle ligament problem looked to have curtailed Darren Fletcher’s involvement in the current campaign.

However, Saha is now likely to return against Blackburn at the end of the month, and will be joined by Ole Gunnar Solskjaer, who had a minor operation to clear up his knee.

Fletcher, who had been expected to miss two months of action, is now likely to be back in a few weeks.

"For a couple of days I was starting to think that the roof was falling in on top of us," admitted Sir Alex Ferguson at his Friday press briefing. "But things are looking much brighter now.

"Darren's injury is not bad as we first thought. He could be back in a few weeks. The news is very good on Louis Saha and we expect him to be back to face Blackburn, along with Ole Solskjaer. So things are looking up."

Mikael Silvestre, however, will unavailable for a few weeks after dislocating his right shoulder in the win over Lille.

"We're delighted nothing was broken, but Mikael will still be out for a few weeks," confirmed Sir Alex. "We'll be monitoring him to see how things are progressing."

Alan Smith, who came on as a substitute against Lille during midweek, will be involved for the Reds in the FA Cup quarter-final clash with Middlesbrough on Saturday tea-time.

"He enjoyed a good work out against Lille," said Sir Alex. "He'll definitely figure against Middlesbrough.

"The loss of Henrik Larsson after the Cup game is a big loss. But as one player leaves, it provides an opportunity for someone else, such as Alan.

"For the last three or four months I've had to tell five or six players every week that they wouldn't be playing. It kills you at times because you're talking about some fantastic footballers.

"You feel for them because they're no able to contribute to a good spell of football for the team. But I don't have that problem for a couple of weeks now." </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Good news \o/ </div></BLOCKQUOTE>#

\o/ Smudge

• Replies 51.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by LibertineFM:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by cooldude0007:

Who should united buy in summer

bale too replace giggs </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Firstly I've never known Bale to play left midfield or Giggs to play left back so I doubt United would sign Bale to replace Giggs.

Secondly why would you replace Giggs now? He's in form and definatly got a couple of years left in him.

Thirdly we don't need another left back.

Fourthly I think Bale has been a little over hyped through the press. Never going to be able to get ahead of Evra, Heinze and Silvestre in our starting line up.

Fithly why buy another left back when there's other positions that need strengthening desperatly? Need another striker, central midfielder and possibly cover for Gary Neville.

icon14.gif

(sorry if it sounds like Im ranting, I've just got home from work, need to let off some steam) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I would say that he would at least displace Silvestre.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by T!mbo:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">displace Silvestre. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Harsh </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

icon_biggrin.gif

United must be brave to beat Roma

To maximise their chances of beating Roma, Manchester United must gamble on 4-4-2 in the Eternal city.

Paul DoyleMarch 9, 2007 12:42 PM

Since Liverpool have already proven they can beat PSV in this season's tournament, and Chelsea face a Valencia side likely to be decimated by suspensions, it's fair to say Manchester United, in a radical break with tradition, have been handed the hardest draw of the three English teams left in the Champions League.

United's opponents, Roma, do not suffer from the same dysfunctions that afflict Sir Alex Ferguson's side in Europe. They play with a similar shape to the one-up-front formation United use away; the difference is that it suits them, whereas it blunts United. Ferguson has muddled through the tournament with a method that straitjackets his most inspired attackers - Cristiano Ronaldo has still never scored in the Champions League, while Wayne Rooney has found the net in just one match, and that was three years ago. Such caution could yet smother their chances.

Being spearheaded by a lone pivot is alien to United but Roma, in Francesco Totti, have a player who is completely at home in the role. Dropping deep to feed overlapping runners (especially Mancini) or to dart forward with ball at feet comes more naturally to him than it does to Wayne Rooney and will present Rio Ferdinand and Nemanja Vidic with a challenge they rarely face.

United's defenders prefer direct confrontation, and they are uncomfortable with drifters. Meanwhile Michael Carrick and Paul Scholes are not as diligent in tracking runners from deep as they should be. Lyon unravelled because Roma deftly undid the thread that had bound them together for so long.

Earlier today, Ferguson name-checked Danielle De Rossi and Mancini as Roma's main threats, but he would be unwise to rely on Totti succumbing to yet another bout of stage fright, since when their playmaker doesn't perform, as he frequently doesn't on the biggest platform, Roma's adlibbing is often prosaic but effective.

The best way to sunder Roma's script is to tear into them. Assuming Louis Saha recovers from his current injury so that United will have two fit strikers (as opposed to two healthy strikers, Alan Smith clearly being unfit to wear a United shirt), they should go 4-4-2 in the first leg in Rome. Because they don't want to go into the home leg having to recover a deficit, a scenario that would leave them exposed to Roma's expert counter-attacking.

---

oh dear...

Pff - eff all this fancy-dan continental nonsense - why's nobody talking about the BIG news of the day: (From BBC Sport)

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Dong Fangzhuo has been called into the Manchester United squad for the first time ahead of tomorrow's FA Cup. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ding Dong ftw icon14.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by RSB:

Pff - eff all this fancy-dan continental nonsense - why's nobody talking about the BIG news of the day: (From BBC Sport)

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Dong Fangzhuo has been called into the Manchester United squad for the first time ahead of tomorrow's FA Cup. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ding Dong ftw icon14.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

F365 have the story as well - under the headline "Fergie To Ease In Dong"

Oh man. Roma sucks. If they will beat us then it's all gonna be ok but if we knock them out it's gonna turn nasty.

Everytime Roma have been knocked out they have started mass brawls icon_frown.gif

From that point of view at least the return leg is at home and the fans are safe.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> it's fair to say Manchester United, in a radical break with tradition, have been handed the hardest draw of the three English teams left in the Champions League.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

what a load of absolute guff

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by SLO_Fila:

From that point of view at least the return leg is at home and the fans are safe. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Aye, my decision to go to the away game is partly because it's the 1st leg.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> "Yes, I'm relieved," Gill told Sky Sports. "I think playing in Europe is about playing other European teams. I haven’t discussed it with Alex (Ferguson) but I think that’s right. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Gill so right.

Before the game on Wednesday, a few lads (loyalty pot) I know were saying if we got passed Lille, Roma would be a great draw because they haven't been there before, and have been to most of the other grounds. Most reds will be thinking the same, it'll be well hard to get a ticket.

Good Draw icon14.gif

could have been easier with PSV but also we avoided both English teams so , good imo.

FAO Season Ticket Holders:

Anyone else receive their new swipe card thing today?

Got mine through the post apparently they're beginning to use them for the game against Bolton and for the rest of the season and we have to return the current books to the ticket office. Seems a bit weird to me using a swipe card whilst we still have a couple of games left in our books, but ah well thats united ticket office for you.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Weststandred:

I haven't been sent a swipe card, where do you sit 14ASifb? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

North Stand tier 2 icon_frown.gif , they might just be trying it out their and then introducing them in time to other parts of the gorund im not too sure.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Weststandred:

I haven't been sent a swipe card, where do you sit 14ASifb? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

North Stand tier 2 icon_frown.gif , they might just be trying it out their and then introducing them in time to other parts of the gorund im not too sure.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by LibertineFM:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by cooldude0007:

Who should united buy in summer

bale too replace giggs </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Firstly I've never known Bale to play left midfield or Giggs to play left back so I doubt United would sign Bale to replace Giggs.

Secondly why would you replace Giggs now? He's in form and definatly got a couple of years left in him.

Thirdly we don't need another left back.

Fourthly I think Bale has been a little over hyped through the press. Never going to be able to get ahead of Evra, Heinze and Silvestre in our starting line up.

Fithly why buy another left back when there's other positions that need strengthening desperatly? Need another striker, central midfielder and possibly cover for Gary Neville.

icon14.gif

(sorry if it sounds like Im ranting, I've just got home from work, need to let off some steam) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

gaby's almost certainly off, wouldn't surprise anyone if mickey left too. bale is an attacking left-back who could very conceivably play left midfield, and giggs DOES need replacing. not saying get rid of him, but he can't play left wing every week and there's no-one else to play there when he goes through his inevitable form troughs.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JulesMUFC:

away first is good, roma really arent very good travellers dispite having so many pikeys in their side. \o/. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

didn't they just beat Lyon away?

one positive is that while we'll almost inevitably go 451, roma might go 460. although that might give fergie ideas icon_frown.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> UEFA Champions League Quarter Final, AS Roma v Manchester United

Wednesday 4 April, kick off 20:45 (C.E.T)

Ticket allocation and prices are yet to be confirmed however the following selling arrangements apply:

EXEC MEMBERS / SEASON TICKET HOLDERS AND ONE UNITED MEMBERS

Supporters who wish to register an application for this game can telephone 0870 442 1999 from 9am on Wednesday 14 March through to 5pm on Friday 16 March. All payments must be made by either debit / credit card and if successful an administration fee of 3% per transaction is charged.

As priority will be given to supporters who have who purchased a ticket and travelled to Lisbon, Copenhagen, Glasgow and Lille in Lens, we would ask these supporters to apply via the loyalty pot option and all other supporters to apply via the standard pot.

If oversubscribed, a ballot will take place to determine the successful applicants, with priority given to supporters who purchased a ticket and travelled to the 4 previous European away games working down in descending order until all tickets have been sold. Supporters are requested to telephone 0870 442 1999 from Wednesday 21 March to establish if their application has been successful, thereafter successful applicants will be required to complete a travel report which will be made available here.

The deadline for completion of this travel form and cancellation of any orders is Friday 23 March.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by 14AlanSmithifb:

Yeah having looked at the letter in more detail, it says that it was used for NE & NW quadrents and North Stand tier 3, and no tier 2 of North Stand. It also mentions that it will be intoduced to the rest of the stadium, so you should receive one soon. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

think they're looking at introducing them to different areas on a game by game basis (or every couple of games). hope they don't get around to stretty lower this season, i like my book icon_frown.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">As priority will be given to supporters who have who purchased a ticket and travelled to Lisbon, Copenhagen, Glasgow and Lille in Lens, we would ask these supporters to apply via the loyalty pot option and all other supporters to apply via the standard pot. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

that f**ks me off a bit. if all the previous aways had been under-subscribed then fair enough, but it seems a bit unfair that people like us who were chubbed for at least two of the games (no idea if mart applied for copenhagen/benfica) are at a disadvantage compared to those who got lucky. turns it into a bit of a closed shop.

not that it massively affects me here because i'm not going to rome (no funds), but if we get through i should be in a position to go to milan or munich and this is going to screw me over really.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

gaby's almost certainly off, wouldn't surprise anyone if mickey left too. bale is an attacking left-back who could very conceivably play left midfield, and giggs DOES need replacing. not saying get rid of him, but he can't play left wing every week and there's no-one else to play there when he goes through his inevitable form troughs. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

When we signed Evra I initially thought that he would be replacing Giggs and Heinze would stay as left back. Thought that was a good idea but with Evra playing so well at left back, Heinze can't get in the team.

Anyway if United are to replace Giggs soon then we should look to signing someone who is established as a left winger. Wouldn't make sence to buy an attacking full back in the hope that he could make a switch to left midfield.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

gaby's almost certainly off, wouldn't surprise anyone if mickey left too. bale is an attacking left-back who could very conceivably play left midfield, and giggs DOES need replacing. not saying get rid of him, but he can't play left wing every week and there's no-one else to play there when he goes through his inevitable form troughs. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

When we signed Evra I initially thought that he would be replacing Giggs and Heinze would stay as left back. Thought that was a good idea but with Evra playing so well at left back, Heinze can't get in the team.

Anyway if United are to replace Giggs soon then we should look to signing someone who is established as a left winger. Wouldn't make sence to buy an attacking full back in the hope that he could make a switch to left midfield. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Gareth Bale is 17.

Hell he could still be put up front at this early development in his career.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BBB:

Seems that we'll get a huge allocation, ground holds 80k, should get maybe 7500? Should get a ticket hopefully, though getting there is the issue icon_biggrin.gif

Bagpuss road trip ftw icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You'll be dead by then anyway once Crespo Lover has smashed your pig face in icon_frown.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mark g:

How dare people talk about replacing Giggs, he's a legend icon_mad.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not replace him man.

Have a young buck come in that allows him to rest his legs a little that will help him prolong his United career so he can surpass Sir Bobby's record.

icon14.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mika:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BBB:

Seems that we'll get a huge allocation, ground holds 80k, should get maybe 7500? Should get a ticket hopefully, though getting there is the issue icon_biggrin.gif

Bagpuss road trip ftw icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You'll be dead by then anyway once Crespo Lover has smashed your pig face in icon_frown.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

indeed :*(

"The cuts are due to the behavior of United fans in recent visits to the Riverside and a close watch will be kept on Saturday.

Please respect the stewards and officials of Middlesbrough. Not only will it help you to watch the game, but it will start to repair our reputation and help to restore the allocation of tickets to the right level for future matches.

The team really value your support, especially away from home, as you proved recently at Anfield and Craven Cottage. Please don't let them down at the Riverside.

Yours sincerely

Sir Alex Ferguson David Gill

Letter that came with the tickets, ffs how condescending of them icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mark g:

How dare people talk about replacing Giggs, he's a legend icon_mad.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

oh no you don't. we all know of your richardson > giggs stance. icon_mad.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JulesMUFC:

away first is good, roma really arent very good travellers dispite having so many pikeys in their side. \o/. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

didn't they just beat Lyon away?

one positive is that while we'll almost inevitably go 451, roma might go 460. although that might give fergie ideas icon_frown.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

All competitions Roma away from home:

W = 8; D = 4; L = 5

Not bad really. Victories against Milan and Lyon stand out in that group of eight wins.

Archived