The Manchester United thread 2006/2007 - featuring BBB leaving early

foobR

talking of road trips, there is a great read in the current under the boardwalk fanzine at fc.

couple of polish reds persuaded some lads to get flights to warsaw, then go to milan from krakow there... without telling the whole tale, they ended up getting a taxi from warsaw to milan.

will try and find a copy of it somewhere without having to type it out.

• Replies 51.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mika:

Just watching the 1987-88 review video that I got today, McClair so good. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

i'll lend you my liverpool one from the same season. it'll be better.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by James M:

haha nick, just how much did you edit him by? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

phfft. that whole part of the game is shafted, i've had decent teams saying that about Richardson

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by James M:

haha nick, just how much did you edit him by? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

phfft. that whole part of the game is shafted, i've had decent teams saying that about Richardson </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Scott's in charge of it. What do you expect.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">"We'll have a strong support behind us which we're very pleased about. The council have restricted our support in the past because the fans stand, but I watch games every week and everyone is standing." </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

wp fergie

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">"Man United is the team that plays the best football in Europe right now." </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Carlo Ancelotti clearly hasn't been watching us lately

SAF's full press conference:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">"The loss of Henrik after tomorrow is a big loss but we didn't have him at the start of the season and he did very well. And we respect his decision. We're absolutely delighted with the work out Alan Smith got and he'll figure tomorrow."

"With paul Scholes it's a little break and he can come break fresh. It's a bit perverse thinking but there could be some joy there - it could be a good break for the lad."

"Tommorow we're taking a very strong squad and it should be a fantastic cup tie. There is a great resolve amongst the players. Fantastic team spirit which is encouraging for me."

"Smith's training performances have been very good. The form of the team has prevented me giving him games. I've been trying since Boxing Day to give all my squad minutes on the clock. I've been able to use my squad very well and that's going to work for me as they will not come in cold and that's a blessing for us"

"There's no regret over Larsson. I respect him and he's kept his promise and quite rightly he should stick by that. We're lucky to have had him the short spell we did."

"Scholes had this knock and we said at half-time why don't you come off. He's got fantastic application. Sometimes you have to risk by picking a team, and we wanted to get through with minimum amount of fuss and we got that. Lille had a soft header at the post, other than that we never had problem with lille: an economic performance. If we didn't reach our usual attacking heights I've no apologies to make for it"

"all games are important now, doesn't matter who you play."

"Dong has needed some real hard work. He will come into the squad because he has some terrific attributes, very athletic"

"Lyon's form had dropped off so that maybe wasn't a surprise. Them not scoring in Roma, sorted Roma - who are a very experienced team with a very experienced midfield. I thought Lyon would be one of the dark horses, but their form hasn't been great and they had some injuries"

"There was talk about being lucky against Fulham and Liverpool, but if you play 4 away games in that amount of time I think it's a fantastic achievement, I really do."

"defending is part of the game too as we showed at Liverpool. I watched the game again and I thought we played better - defensively - than I had. Our fourth away game in a row it was a great achievement."

"United are always going to get a chance in the game - always on one occasion. This season we've missed a lot of chances in games we've won quite well. In the last few weeks we've only had three or four chances per game. O'Shea comes on and gets the one real chance and scores."

"I think Larsson would be fit enough to play at this level. Not every week, but 30 games in English football at 36. His technique is fantastic and he looks after himself. A credit like Teddy Sheringham"

"Lille are a stubborn, organised team to play against us but the tests are all in front of us"

"I always say all you can ask for is a home Cup tie and Boro have that so they will make a game of it. But we've got a good support behind us. The council didn't want that but Boro fought. And the FA is about big away support. I look at every game but everyone is standing. Somewhere they are going to have to realise that some people prefer to stand. At Liverpool people are standing against Barcelona. I think it was a concern for Boro and they fought hard to get our support up and credit to them but all I ask is our supporters to respect their stewards"

"I thought it was a penalty on Wednesday with Ronaldo. He was a good ref, he was everywehere, strong fitness levels. Ronaldo is going to be robbed of justified moments (because of his reputation). Ronaldo's feet are so quick I don't think they see him"

"Ronaldo is at the right club - no question about that. He shouldn't want to go anywhere else - he is at the right club" </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

mon the dong

Ole:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">"I believe I can play again this season. I hope to back and available for the last games of the season." </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

bit worrying. hardly sounds like someone expecting to be back before the end of the month :/

Ole's expecting our players to hit form, meaning he can't get in as Smudge, Wazza, Dong, and Ronnie get goals in every game between now and April.

Plus he's just being safe, the amount of times when we thought he would be back in the past couple of years has made him cautious.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

Lille end Giggs protest

Lille have opted to end their protest against Ryan Giggs' winning goal for Manchester United in their controversial UEFA Champions League encounter.

Giggs netted a quick free-kick to hand United a 1-0 win and the goal prompted a furious protest from Lille and their players.

The club opted to lodge an appeal with Uefa, but it was rejected by Europe's governing body.

Lille had considered taking their case to the Court of Arbitration of Sport, but on Friday announced they would not be taking their appeal any further.

A statement on the club's official website read: "In order not to sink into relentless legal proceedings with no end in sight, LOSC have taken the decision not to pursue its appeals to the Court of Arbitration for Sport."

Lille bowed out 2-0 on aggregate after slipping to defeat at Old Trafford on Wednesday. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thank Christ for that.

Roma reaction to the draw:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Francesco Totti: “Manchester United are just an incredible team. They have got a fantastic tradition and it will be an honour to play against them in the quarter finals. Clearly, it won’t be easy, but I’m pretty sure that we will make it, and progress in the competion. Honestly, I would have preferred a derby with AC Milan.†</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Roma President Rosella Sensi: "Totti is better than Ronaldo.†</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

she is a woman tbf 'icon_rolleyes.gif'

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">David Pizarro: “Ronaldo is an excellent player but he has a long way to go to achieve what Totti has in the game.†</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

yeah. you've got to bottle it on the big stage loads more yet Ronnie icon_frown.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Roma coach Luciano Spalletti: “The dual between Ronaldo and Mancini will be fascinating. They both have speed, technique and invention. Ronaldo showed what he could do with that run down the left to cross for Henrik Larsson’s goal against Lille. But Mancini stole the show with the second goal against Lyon, so you’d say he’s ahead of Ronaldo right now. Liverpool were the ones who did really well in the last round. Manchester struggled a bit.†</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Spalletti again: "Unlike us, Man Utd have a lot of experience in this competition and a lot of tradition. They are a very strong team, they have a young side that have individual quality, a big team spirit and is one of the most complete teams in the competition. But we have do what we did against Lyon, we have to be convinced for our worth and be optimistic about our chances. After all, our football is more technical and better tactically than English football. I have confidence in my team, we have every intention of going all the way. It will certainly be good practice for the game against Man Utd (to face AC Milan 3 days before)" </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">"I want to make my mark in Manchester. I want to win titles and enter the folklore of the club. We are negotiating and everything is in place to keep me here. I believe things are going well and I am going to remain here.†</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ronnie icon_cool.gif

this ridiculously friendly next tuesday is going to be shown on bbc3 btw :/

Awesome passing and movement in first 45, careless in possesion in the second (although we should have still won it).

MoM: Ronaldo

2nd: Carrick

Honorbale mentions to Gabby (looked back to his old self at times), Neville (hardly gave Downing a sniff), O'shea (another good display in his RICH vain of form) & Vidic (can't remember Viduka or Yakubu getting the better of him once).

Just a small question about the game, why on earth name Smith as a sub and not play for even ten minutes , especially seeing as our only main striker today is leaving after today's game?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by 14AlanSmithifb:

Awesome passing and movement in first 45, careless in possesion in the second (although we should have still won it).

Honorbale mentions to Gabby (looked back to his old self at times), Neville (hardly gave Downing a sniff), O'shea (another good display in his RICH vain of form) & Vidic (can't remember Viduka or Yakubu getting the better of him once).

Just a small question about the game, why on earth name Smith as a sub and not play for even ten minutes , especially seeing as our only main striker today is leaving after today's game? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I do agree with you that O'Shea looked decent in the first half but in the 2nd half he was as dreadful as Rooney and Giggs, unable to pass properly and unable to do any sort of first touch on the ball.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mika:

Alan Smith, who came on as a substitute against Lille during midweek, will be involved for the Reds in the FA Cup quarter-final clash with Middlesbrough on Saturday tea-time.

"He enjoyed a good work out against Lille," said Sir Alex. "He'll definitely figure against Middlesbrough.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

?????

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by SLO_Fila:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by 14AlanSmithifb:

Just a small question about the game, why on earth name Smith as a sub and not play for even ten minutes , especially seeing as our only main striker today is leaving after today's game? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I do agree with you that O'Shea looked decent in the first half but in the 2nd half he was as dreadful as Rooney and Giggs, unable to pass properly and unable to do any sort of first touch on the ball. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah exactly how I felt, but thought his first half display was as good as I have seen from him since 02/03 so I thought that warrented an honorbale mention.

I’ve not read anything else from today but it looks like the “go to a replay and have Scholes back in the league†crowd got their wish so I assume they’re happy. Not too disappointed that we’re going to a replay though since it was a good cup-tie today. Not sure Fergie will necessarily see it that way since his decision not to make a change says to me that he wanted to try and get through at the first attempt. Thought we played some really nice stuff at times and even with the two avoidable goals it was our best performance for a while as a team. Just nice to see some carefree attacking football. Pity about the 10 minutes of slackness either side of HT but it happens. At least it was the cup not the league. Hoping that nobody got any injuries today as well. Anyway…

TK: Two great stops in the first half but looked shaky on crosses and set-pieces.

GN: Got forward more than he has been doing and did okay against Downing.

NV: More assured than a couple of his recent performances have been. Cracking tackle to deny Boateng in the second half.

RF: Started shakily against Yakubu I thought but got better as the game went on. Was concerned when he went down before HT.

GH: Possibly his best game this season. Really pleased with his work today.

CR: Thrived in the atmosphere, really good threat, took the penalty expertly.

MC: Had a really good spell following their second goal and demanded the ball more regularly in the absence of Scholes which I thought was a good thing. Actually saw more today of the kind of Carrick I expect to see post-Scholes. Did well breaking up play at times as well.

JOS: Tried way too many sweeping balls to the wings for my liking but generally did okay overall. Didn’t do anything markedly dangerous which is always a plus.

RG: Thought it was his best game for ages. Looked fresh, full of thrust when running with the ball, and did well picking his passes as well.

WR: Took his goal well but didn’t do anything else spectacular. Obviously could do much better but with us out of striking options at the minute I’ll be content if all we get from him is goals between now and the end of the season. I don’t think we’ll get anything else out of him at this point to be honest. He can get back into the groove properly next season.

HL: Cracking movement, closing down & build-up play in the first half, faded in the second as his numerous runs took their toll. Can’t criticise him really. Pity he has to go but its been a privilege to get to watch him in our shirt.

Would be easy to pick Ronaldo but I’m just really pleased with these two…

MOM: Ryan Giggs

2ND: Gabby Heinze

Pretty clear IMO but…

AFFG#1: TK

AFFG#2: Rio Ferdinand

Archived