The Manchester United thread 2006/2007 - featuring BBB leaving early

foobR

• Replies 51.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Saha:

Y'know, I just read some of the posts in here referring to us winning the treble. And then read them again, this time with the Benny Hill theme playing on winamp, and it was equally as funny. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I immediately thought of this icon14.gif

I think that's the key thing really - form and personnel. For so long we were playing such scintillating stuff that I'd back us against any team in the world. And with our strongest XI, we'd turn most people over even if we weren't on fire. It's when we're a touch out of form and are playing Rooney up front on his own with John O'Shea in midfield and TK in goal that we start to look hugely vulnerable.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Asmodeus:

The Fulham game in particular really reminded me of the treble season. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thats the thing. The way we're winning games despite playing like we're determined to lose. We're winning games more by luck than judgement.

If we can hit form again then i really genuinely think we can go out and win all three trophies.

I believe we should win the league and if we don't serious questions need to be asked. I belive that the FA Cup is there for the taking, the biggest worry for me would be if Chelsea got through to the final. I feel that we have a team that is good enough to win the Champions League and that if we can get a run together then we can beat any of the sides left in.

I prefer to be optimistic about things than pessimistic, i can handle the dissapointment if we don't do it. But the belief is what makes me keep my interest alive.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Gregg Carter:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Asmodeus:

The Fulham game in particular really reminded me of the treble season. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thats the thing. The way we're winning games despite playing like we're determined to lose. We're winning games more by luck than judgement.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

On a serious note, yeah that's the "omg fate" bandwagon that I was referring to above, I just feel that it's a little bit premature to think about things like that at the moment. We shall see anyway, mon us finishing the job.

I don't believe in fate and do not believe it is having a bearing on our season right now.

It's something our old teams used to be able to do with regularity but something that we havent seen probably since the 1999 Treble winning side.

These players seem to have found a new belief that we can win games. That nothing is over until it's over. It does feel like luck, but i think it's more because we're unacustomed to it than anything else.

I just don't think there's any possibility of us progressing (and winning) to the Champions League final, the way we play in Europe. If we do manage to pick up our form in the league and we decide to play exactly like we do in the league, in Europe, then maybe we'd have a decent chance.

At least one of those two things isn't going to happen though, so I don't hold much hope for the CL.

In truth, the league and the FA Cup are both well within our reach and really we should end up winning both of them.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mika:

In 98/99 we weren't losing to the likes of Celtic and looked remotely like scoring away from home, there's a massive difference between how we played then and how we play now for me. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

We only beat Brondby in the Group Stages.

Yes we were scoring more goals back then, but we were hardly firing on all cylinders if you look back on it now.

Drew both games against both Bayern and against Barcelona.

It could be argued we were looking like going out prior to the Juventus game until we put in an absolutely monster performance to pull off what was regarded as a shock win.

The Final. We were outplayed for much of the game.

We still won it that year. So for people to just turn around and give reasons as to why we're playing poorly so therefore have zero chance of winning really need to realise that it's not purely going to come down to that.

Seriously.

Mika's posts during 99 would read:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

Possibly posted by Mika in an alternate reality:

We're not going to beat Inter Milan in the QF Lads. They're a great side and the only side we actually beat in the group stages was Brondby. We proved against the top sides we're not up to the job.

We might score goals, but we don't know how to win games and that will be what will be our downfall. We need to play a far more cautious game in Europe because playing the same way as we do in the league just does not work in European games, it leaves us far too exposed.

With the strikers that Inter have, they'll have a field day with us.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

Possibly posted by Mika in an alternate reality:

We may have gotten past Inter, but Juve is a different kettle of fish. We couldn't win the game at OT and as a result we're going to be punished for it at their place. It's just not possible for us to win this at all.

As the games against Inter proved, we can't win games away from home in Europe, A draw won't do against Juve as there's no way we're going to score two goals/

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Bayern and Barca were a hell of a lot stronger than Celtic and Copenhagen though, sure there is more required than good football to win the CL but it certainly helps icon_biggrin.gif

I just don't see us looking anywhere near good enough in Europe to win the competition with little sign of that changing in the near future, I see little reason for optimism in the CL. But then I wouldn't would I?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Saha:

In truth, the league and the FA Cup are both well within our reach and really we should end up winning both of them. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Chelsea got knocked out?

Don't forget the despair at Giggs' injury that ruled him out of the second Juve game.

Nah on a serious note I wasn't as "pessimistic" as people say I am now because back then I genuinely did believe that we were as good as any team in Europe, and played like it. I thought we went into each game with a shot of winning.

But now, I just think that the current situation isn't really similar at all, I don't think that we're quite there with the squad yet.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by RedBlood:

Replay is on Sky not BBC icon_mad.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

YAS \o/\o/\o/\o/

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mika:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by RedBlood:

Replay is on Sky not BBC icon_mad.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

YAS \o/\o/\o/\o/ </div></BLOCKQUOTE>means i have to go out to wacth it now and spend money icon_mad.gif

tbf, that 99 side was different class.

i don't know why, but i was absolutely certain we'd get through the second leg in turin. and as for the "outplayed" in the final quip... well, it's true to a degree, but that gets overplayed a lot because of the manner in which we won it.

we were banging on the door for about half an hour before we finally scored. not like the sheringham goal was our first real attack or anything like that.

The late Giggs leveller at OT felt so crucial at the time. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

yup.

don't get me wrong. when they sniveling little bastard inzaghi put juve two up, i thought we were gone for all money. but before the game... i just thought we were certs. dunno why.

I felt strangely calm in the Turin game. Felt we'd do enough tbh.

Whereas I shat myself in the final, gave up the ghost 6 minutes in. Sat with my head in my hands, didn't even move for most of our chances. Then went bezerk when the goal actually came, and came close to missing the winner.

They played us off the park in the first half from what I remember, though we came back in the second, the Sheringham "goal" was a horrible moment, at that moment I really felt that we had let our chance slip so for Giggs to pop up with that leveller at the time was something of a relief as you say.

Obviously after 11mins in the second leg things weren't looking good but we all know what happened.

The second leg of the Inter tie was so nervy at the time too, the whole debacle about whether Ronaldo would play and that dive were my main memories though. Not to mention the Berg clearances in the first leg icon_biggrin.gif

Christ, can't believe I was 12 back then icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by alilaw:

Whereas I shat myself in the final, gave up the ghost 6 minutes in. Sat with my head in my hands, didn't even move for most of our chances. Then went bezerk when the goal actually came, and came close to missing the winner. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I was the complete opposite, basically stood on my bed for the last 15mins clapping like a maniac icon_biggrin.gif

Not much changes really.

I watched it in the Union bar at Uni.

Sitting in a leather sofa which was in a semi circle around the big screen.

Another row behind us with more of my friends.

When the Sheringham goal went in, i jumped up and managed, somehow, to do a backflip somersault over the sofa into my mates behind me.

Still, to this day don't know how i managed that.

Then, while running around the union like a loon, i had to do a double take when we scored again.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Edwin still struggling

Edwin van der Sar is still struggling with a calf strain and looks set to miss United's Premiership game with Bolton at Old Trafford on Saturday lunchtime.

The Dutch goalkeeper picked up the injury during the warm-up before United's FA Cup clash at Middlesbrough at the weekend.

Although a scan has shown there is no long term damage, van der Sar has been told to rest up for the rest of the week.

"The scan showed there was a little damage in my calf, but hopefully it won't take too long to heal," he told his personal Icons website.

"I don't think I will be back in time to face Bolton on Saturday - that would be pushing it. We will see but it certainly doesn't look that way at the moment.

"I suddenly didn't feel good in the warm-up, so I decided not to play. It's always better to rest, even if it's just a small strain, so that it doesn't get any worse.

"I didn't have to go for any treatment, so I stayed and watched the Boro game. I think we played okay in the first half, we had a few chances after the first goal and Boro did too. Tomas (Kuszczak) made a great save from Yakubu early on, so that was good for him.

"It definitely put us back a little bit to concede a goal straight before and straight after half time; it was a bit nail-biting for a while there," he added.

"But it was great for us to get a goal back with Ronaldo's penalty and get them back to Old Trafford. We could have done without it, but we have another chance to reach the semis and that will make it all worthwhile." </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Bit of a blow that :/

I was late getting to my mate's on THAT night in 99. Was scoffing my dinner (a curry iirc) whilst sitting on the sofa watching the start and saw Basler put them 1-0 up on my own icon_frown.gif

Then ran up the hill to my pal's house in record time with my walkman in listening to it.

By the time Sheringham scored I was drunk (15 years old - lightweight) and nearly cried, then when Ole scoed and ran straight out of his patio doors into the garden and skidded like Ole did across his garden icon_cool.gif shortly followed by about 6 or 7 mates - cue mass bundle!

:*) I want that night again. Ideally want to be able to say "where were you when Ole scored in Athens" in 8 years time icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Blaine:

just read that fowler has been added to the european squad for the friendly tonight link

ffs, what a joke. if anything, he should be placed in stocks in front of the stretford end. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

they have to be kidding :/

Zenden as well? WHAT

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by SLO_Fila:

Great, now everytime somebody crosses in our penalty box i'll have a heartattack icon_frown.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Bolton's main weapon as well really. joy.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Ronaldinho misses out

Brazilian World Cup winner Ronaldinho will miss Tuesday night's UEFA charity match through injury.

The Barcelona attacker had been scheduled to play for Marcello Lippi's European XI, but he aggravated a previous injury during the 3-3 draw with Real Madrid on Saturday evening.

Despite Ronaldinho's absence, Lippi's squad still looks an imposing proposition for Sir Alex Ferguson, who has said he will put out his strongest available side. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

that's the two biggest draws out then icon_biggrin.gif

that fowler/zenden thing HAS to be someone being mischievous, surely

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">that fowler/zenden thing HAS to be someone being mischievous, surely </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

lippi replacing ronaldinho with fowler, clearly showing uncle malc his managerial prowess and understanding of all things united as he eyes up fergie's job.

10 minutes probably pushing it with him these days. doubt we'll give three penners away in such a short space of time as well. ul

the very thought of Robbie Fowler in a European Select team with some of the finest players in the world. as maddening as it is that he's been picked, might actually end up being hilarious watching that bloater trying to keep up with his teammates.

Archived