The Manchester United thread 2006/2007 - featuring BBB leaving early

foobR

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BBB:

cheers jimlad, though thinking about it, only going to apply for what we actually need. me, bagpuss, coldberg and julesmufc

rather than be greedy and risk getting f all </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Aye well if you need it you need it, if you don't you don't. No harm either way since there's no way I can afford to go.

• Replies 51.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Scatter:

so why ****ing sell him then you alcoholic twonk? icon_mad.gif

surely a loan move with an option would have been a better idea... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It was, no?

Loan to January, buy him afterwards. Derby ftw.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Scatter:

surely a loan move with an option would have been a better idea... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

A loan move wasnt what was needed, it was play him or sell him time.

Jones had already done the loan thing and done well on loan. His problem was he hadnt taken the few chances he got in the cups.

Because maybe Jones decided he wanted to leave on a permanent deal for the good of his career?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Saha:

It was, no?

Loan to January, buy him afterwards. Derby ftw. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

wasn't the loan til january just to get around the transfer window?

and yes taz and gregg, you are both right. but based on what i've already seen from him at derby - even allowing for the quality of opposition - i refuse to believe that jones would have been a worse option in the middle than john o'shea for us.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Saha:

Basically like playing the rest of the season with only one kidney icon_frown.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Silvestre :**********)

In the summer we are signing Nani, Barnes, Hargreaves and berbatov, i'm sure of it. Team complete.

GK: Van Der Sar, Foster, Kuszczak

DF: Neville, Brown, Pique, Ferdinand, Vidic, Evans, Evra, Heinze, Silvestre, O'Shea

MD: Ronaldo, Park, Scholes, Carrick, Hargreaves, Fletcher, Barnes, Giggs, Nani

FW: Rooney, Saha, Berbatov, Rossi, Solskjaer, Smith

What a team that would be. In the days of the PLC maybe. icon_frown.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Heinze, Silvestre, </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

one of those two, plus Fletch, and Ole (retirement/coaching role 'priority') will probably be out of that squad, taking it down to 25 which is ideal for a decent season.

I can only assume Nick feels somewhat vindicated... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Haha icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by James07?:

signing carrick doesn't mean we can just waltz into spurs every summer and cherry pick their best players. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It doesnt?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Taz & The Devil:

In the summer we are signing Nani, Barnes, Hargreaves and berbatov, i'm sure of it. Team complete.

GK: Van Der Sar, Foster, Kuszczak

DF: Neville, Brown, Pique, Ferdinand, Vidic, Evans, Evra, Heinze, Silvestre, O'Shea

MD: Ronaldo, Park, Scholes, Carrick, Hargreaves, Fletcher, Barnes, Giggs, Nani

FW: Rooney, Saha, Berbatov, Rossi, Solskjaer, Smith

What a team that would be. In the days of the PLC maybe. icon_frown.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

All on the 12th of July iirc?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by No Longer Bling:

my nani is dead you insensetive welsh twat. next time one of our players gets injured now im cheering. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Racist icon_frown.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

Smith to fight for United future

Alan Smith has vowed to remain at Old Trafford and fight to reclaim his place in the Manchester United side.

The forward saw his Manchester United career halted a little over a year ago by a serious ankle injury.

He has battled back to fitness, but reports suggested he would be allowed to move on loan in order to regain some match sharpness.

Smith rejected the chance to head out on loan recently and he feels the decision will be vindicated between now and the end of the season.

"I am not leaving, simple as that," Smith told Sky Sports News.

"There has been a lot of speculation, but I am going nowhere."

Smith is convinced he has the quality to force his way into Sir Alex Ferguson's thinking and is hopeful his hard work will pay off.

He added: "I am good enough to play in this team, I have always believed that and that is why I signed here.

"I have worked harder than ever to get fit and I want to be part of a team that is winning and the only way you do that is by applying yourself in training.

"Ever since the injury I knew I had to get fit and the second goal was to get back in the team and the third goal was to get international honours."

Smith is confident he will get the chance to show his class in the near future.

"If I had gone on loan to the end of the season and Ole (Gunnar Solskjaer) had been injured and Louis (Saha) had been injured and Henrik (Larsson) had gone back we would have been down to one striker," he added.

"So there would have been nothing worse for me than seeing this club short of strikers and me being out on loan and missing nights like Lille and the games that are coming up." </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by alilaw:

Can't read too much into it obviously, but he was just utterly abysmal against the Europe XI.

Smudge icon_frown.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

in the fact he ran around a lot and didnt actually touch the ball?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JulesMUFC:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by alilaw:

Can't read too much into it obviously, but he was just utterly abysmal against the Europe XI.

Smudge icon_frown.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

in the fact he ran around a lot and didnt actually touch the ball? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

And additionally the runs he made weren't very good. When he did touch the ball, he generally just laid it back to Giggs or Scholes.

It really saddened me tbh icon_frown.gif

I've waited for four years for this," said Beckham before turning his attentions to Sir Alex Ferguson, with whom an infamous falling-out led to the end of his United career. "You've got the best manager in the world at this club. It was the best time of my football career. I want to say thank you to the fans and the people of this club. Especially in 1998 [when he was sent off at the World Cup] I wouldn't have got through the things I did without the people of this stadium."

regrets?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by James07?:

that goal against norwich > * </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hughes-esque.

And Becks is still a legend.

don't think you can read anything whatsoever into Smithy's performance last night. that game was the complete antithesis of what Smithy's game is all about. did well against Lille so i'm encouraged.

and yes, i do feel vindicated about Jonah icon_cool.gif

will blatantly sign him back in five years for £20m

I'm not so much worried about Smith's injury and it's impact, but bluntly I don't think he was good enough to lead our line before the injury anyway. I do like him and admire his attitude though, so I hope he can contribute in some form before the season is out.

Archived