The Manchester United thread 2006/2007 - featuring BBB leaving early

foobR

another broadcaster Fergie will soon be boycotting icon_biggrin.gif

im certain it was a penalty. try running at full speed and then keep your balance when someone takes your ankle.

Maybe a more 'honest' player like Shearer (a good example after his laughable comments about Ronaldo at the world cup) would have stayed on his feet, or kicked Woodgate in the head.

And how good was that penalty?!

• Replies 51.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i missed Smudger out of my initial post - thought he did really well. not back to his best but clearly much nearer than he was in the two carling cup games. clearly no doubts in his mind when it comes to getting stuck in as well. have a feeling he could be really useful over this run-in.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Reserves: United 2 Oldham 0

United's reserves won the first of the club's two cup-ties on Monday when they beat Oldham Athletic 2-0 at Carrington.

Febian Brandy set the Reds on their way to the Manchester Senior Cup final when he scored just three minutes after the 2pm kick-off. But goalkeeper Ron-Robert Zieler had to two make excellent saves in the first half, denying Kallum Higginbotham and Paul Black the chance to equalise for Oldham.

Confirmation of the group-stage victory came late on when substitute Antonio Bryan scored United's second goal, just five minutes after coming on for Aaron Burns.

The 2007 Manchester Senior Cup final (date TBC) will pit United against Manchester City or Oldham, runners-up to the Reds in last season's competition.

The reserves' next match is in the league this Thursday, at home to Everton. Kick-off at Ewen Fields, Hyde is at 7pm.

United: Zieler, R. Eckersley, Drinkwater, Lea, Chester, Lee, Mullan, Fagan (Derbyshire, 88), Brandy, Burns (Bryan, 73), Barnes. Subs not used: Norwood, James. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

\O/

that's a hell of a young team - 6 are u18 regulars, plus both subs, and the two unused subs are u16's icon_biggrin.gif

mon more silverware icon_cool.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

Pique puts future on hold

Gerard Pique will leave a decision on his long-term future at Manchester United until the summer.

The Spanish defender is currently on loan at Real Zaragoza and the 20-year-old has cut an impressive figure in La Liga.

He has relished the opportunity of regular first-team football, having started just five matches during his time at Old Trafford.

The centre-half will return to the Premiership leaders at the end of the season and he is keen to make an impact under Sir Alex Ferguson.

But Pique acknowledged that, if he will only be a fringe member of the United squad he would prefer to stay with Zaragoza.

"My dream is to play in the Premier League and to be a regular," Pique told the Spanish media.

"But if the option is the second team, I prefer to continue with Zaragoza.

"For me the subject is on stand by until the end of the season.

"I am calm about my future and I only desire to play to demonstrate my condition."

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Can't see him breaking into the 1st team with Rio and Vidic there, so if you take those comments at face value then we should be looking at sending him out for another year (maybe in England?) or cashing in.

Same for Rossi really.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mika:

If? icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's not like i killed him or anything.

Just that who knows when he comes back from his... uh... injuries icon_rolleyes.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by gonch19:

while we're on the subject of 1 on 1s, rooney also pretty gash at them as things go? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

But at least he hit one against Bolton.

And yep, for as good as Rooney is he isn't that great at 1 on 1's either. But at least he does score something like 1/3 unlike Saha who scores a magnificent -3/3 icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20:

christ, just seen the Ronaldo interview. have always despised that twat Shreeves but that's disgraceful even for him. hope Fergie and the whole team shun the odious c**t now.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

watching it last night i was stunned at the way he was interrogating him, so out of order to question his integrity like that. cant imagine any other player being asked if they could have stayed up for what was in reality a stone wall penner.

would love it if fergie ****ed off sky in the same way he has the beeb or refused to let ronnie do interviews with them.

Can't see Pique and Rossi making it at Utd tbh. Pique is behind Rio, Vidic, Brown, maybe Silvestre (who I reckon will stay) and Evans. Rossi couldn't get a game at Newcastle even when they only had Sibierski available upfront.

btw, I thought Smith played very well last nite. I really hope he gets back to his best and stays, as we won't be able to afford a big name striker as well as Hargreaves (who has to still be our no.1 priority this summer)

• Administrators

just to confirm for you

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

In the other semi-final, Watford will play Manchester United at Villa Park on Saturday 14 April. Kick-off is at 5.30pm. That match will be shown live on the BBC.

The FA have announced that tickets will be priced at £25 / £35 / £45 / £55. Ticket allocations will be confirmed later this week, as will the selling procedure.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Arse

Rooney's 1-1's quite good tbh? Not at a Ruud like level (but then few are), but I'd back him to score them more often than not.

Saha's are unfortunately dreadful. Which is a shame, because if they were better (and he wasn't made of glass) he'd be one of the best strikers in the business.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by red&white army:

Can't see Pique and Rossi making it at Utd tbh. Pique is behind Rio, Vidic, Brown, maybe Silvestre (who I reckon will stay) and Evans. Rossi couldn't get a game at Newcastle even when they only had Sibierski available upfront.

btw, I thought Smith played very well last nite. I really hope he gets back to his best and stays, as we won't be able to afford a big name striker as well as Hargreaves (who has to still be our no.1 priority this summer) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Have you ever seen either Pique or Rossi play?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by red&white army:

btw, I thought Smith played very well last nite. I really hope he gets back to his best and stays, as we won't be able to afford a big name striker as well as Hargreaves (who has to still be our no.1 priority this summer) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

a) Pique is younger than those players and Silvestre needs to be shipped out. he has plenty of time to show himself to be good enough if he's prepared to.

b) Rossi didnt get a game for Newcastle? Nothing to do with their Manager being a clueless unqualified moron?

I didn't say I AGREE with those statements about, Pique and Rossi, but that is what I think will happen. I think Fergie will let Pique go or possibly play him at full back/centre mid at best, he will keep Silvestre because he seems to rate him, and I can't see Rossi breaking into the team, as much as I really want him to. him, Rooney, Saha, Smith and Ole would be great next season.

I didn't say I AGREE with those statements about, Pique and Rossi, but that is what I think will happen. I think Fergie will let Pique go or possibly play him at full back/centre mid at best, he will keep Silvestre because he seems to rate him, and I can't see Rossi breaking into the team, as much as I really want him to. him, Rooney, Saha, Smith and Ole would be great next season. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Rooney has been crap this season with more bad games than good and who is the ideal man to step in and play that role when there is no wayne? Saha very injury prone and do we have a man who can get goals? Smith wishes he had Rossis skill, technique and eye for goal and Ole basically a has been.

I love Ole as much as the next guy and get the ball to him in the box and he will score but besides that it is painful watching how far he has fallen.

Why a man who destroyed everything in the reserves, has looked good in his 12 appearences for the first team and starts everygame for Parma as well as recieving high praise from everyone including the Italian national team coaches should be classed as not good enough because Glen Roeder decided he would be better on the left wing for most of Newcastles games.

vs. Boro

MOM: Carrick

2ND: Heinze

Special mentions...Ronny (polemic & being too good ftw icon_cool.gif), Smudger (progressing quite well) & Giggsy (drifted in and out a bit but when he was "in" he was really quite effective).

Kudos to Quieroz as well for taking on the Boro bench and Fergie clearly ****ing himself at how mental he was going as they were walking off.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Saha:

isn't pique playing in the middle for zaragoza? sure i heard taz mention that basically every time he reports back on how he's doing.

kinda brings down his list of competitors to john o'shea, then. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

and Scholes, and Carrick, and Fletcher, and hopefully Hargreaves.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Saha:

isn't pique playing in the middle for zaragoza? sure i heard taz mention that basically every time he reports back on how he's doing.

kinda brings down his list of competitors to john o'shea, then. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Zaragoza have a great partnership at centre back so Pique more often than not plays Right Back or Centre Mid like our own John O'Shea.

He plays a lot for them though, a lot of starts and for a top 5 team in La Liga he doesnt look out of his depth at all, he looks like he belongs.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mika:

Mikael is getting that testimonial whether you like it or not icon_cool.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

icon_cool.gif

someone needs to russle up a silvestre tribute video a la the o'shea one

-the two goals v liverpool :**)

-the constant ineptitude :***)

genuinely struggling after that...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Taz & The Devil:

I didn't say I AGREE with those statements about, Pique and Rossi, but that is what I think will happen. I think Fergie will let Pique go or possibly play him at full back/centre mid at best, he will keep Silvestre because he seems to rate him, and I can't see Rossi breaking into the team, as much as I really want him to. him, Rooney, Saha, Smith and Ole would be great next season. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Rooney has been crap this season with more bad games than good and who is the ideal man to step in and play that role when there is no wayne? Saha very injury prone and do we have a man who can get goals? Smith wishes he had Rossis skill, technique and eye for goal and Ole basically a has been.

I love Ole as much as the next guy and get the ball to him in the box and he will score but besides that it is painful watching how far he has fallen.

Why a man who destroyed everything in the reserves, has looked good in his 12 appearences for the first team and starts everygame for Parma as well as recieving high praise from everyone including the Italian national team coaches should be classed as not good enough because Glen Roeder decided he would be better on the left wing for most of Newcastles games. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I hope your right, I really want Rossi to make it at Utd, but I'm not confident if he's suited to the Prem. His record in the reserves cannot be used to prove that he'd be as good in the Prem.

Alan Smith, back to his best, should have a future at Man Utd.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by No Longer Bling:

slightly embarrassed that a portuguese lad knew what polemic meant and i was watching his interview thinking 'bless him, theres no way thats a real word but at least hes trying'. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

even richard keys felt it his duty to explain it icon_biggrin.gif

handsome, amazing at football AND intelligent :*)

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Taz & The Devil:

Zaragoza have a great partnership at centre back so Pique more often than not plays Right Back or Centre Mid like our own John O'Shea.

He plays a lot for them though, a lot of starts and for a top 5 team in La Liga he doesnt look out of his depth at all, he looks like he belongs. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

For Pique to make it players like Silvestre and Fletcher need to go. and also Richardson, but thats just because he's rubbish.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by SLO_Fila:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by gonch19:

while we're on the subject of 1 on 1s, rooney also pretty gash at them as things go? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

But at least he hit <STRIKE>one</STRIKE> two against Bolton. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by No Longer Bling:

i googled it icon_biggrin.gif

what a ****ing lad. legend in the making, still buzzing over that interview. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

the penalty as well, just SO calm. ive never seen any player do that run up where they walk up and keep on stopping and still bury it with aplomb.

and that after yakubu tried to put him off icon14.gif

with rooney around rossi will never make it in the first team? simply no place for him as he's not a target man </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

But there should be. Rooney plays everygame no matter how crap he is and it has to stop. If he isnt on form or hes suspended/injured whatever then we have young Rossi who is the ideal man to step in and replace him.

He plays a lot for them though, a lot of starts and for a top 5 team in La Liga he doesnt look out of his depth at all, he looks like he belongs. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

For Pique to make it players like Silvestre and Fletcher need to go. and also Richardson, but thats just because he's rubbish. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

for a defender to make it we need to sell 2 midfielders? interesting logic

with rooney around rossi will never make it in the first team? simply no place for him as he's not a target man </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

But there should be. Rooney plays everygame no matter how crap he is and it has to stop. If he isnt on form or hes suspended/injured whatever then we have young Rossi who is the ideal man to step in and replace him. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

i doubt rossi will be happy playing all of about 7 games a season

Archived