The Manchester United thread 2006/2007 - featuring BBB leaving early

foobR

• Replies 51.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Saha:

Could probably get Tim Cahill in actually, if we fail with Hargreaves. Be cheaper.

*whistles* </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's like saying "I can't buy an Aston Martin so i might as well buy a Skoda"

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by No Longer Bling:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Young Jimlad:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by No Longer Bling:

hargreaves, lennon, bent. team complete and even if everything went to sh*t we could at least say we were trying to do the right thing by english football, unlike all those dirty foreigners at chelsea/liverpool/arsenal. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It sounds so easy when you say it like that. All we need is about £55-60mill to prise those three away from their respective clubs. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

but were the richest club in the world!!

besides, selling silvestre, richardson, smith and oshea would surely bring in half that amount. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Your lack of an apostrophe there is telling Bling...and who are these mystery buyers you've got lined up to pay between £7-8mill a piece for our four most wanted? Got some dirt on Abramovic, Zahavi & Kenyon have you?

silvestre - £3m surely. worth it for the comedy value alone, french international. someone will go for it.

richardson - £9m. full english international, answer to englands left wing problem. probably worth a LITTLE less but english inflation means we shouldnt be letting him go for much under £10m.

smith - £17m. another full england international, can play as both a forward and a midfield player, supreme in either role. brave like a lion and passion alone worth a good £10m in england.

oshea - £6m but bidding war could see the price rise to unfathomable levels. plays every position possible, the ultimate utility man, superb celebrations.

silvestre - £3m surely. worth it for the comedy value alone, french international. someone will go for it.

richardson - £9m. full english international, answer to englands left wing problem. probably worth a LITTLE less but english inflation means we shouldnt be letting him go for much under £10m.

smith - £17m. another full england international, can play as both a forward and a midfield player, supreme in either role. brave like a lion and passion alone worth a good £10m in england.

oshea - £6m but bidding war could see the price rise to unfathomable levels. plays every position possible, the ultimate utility man, superb celebrations. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm all for putting silly values on players for comedic purposes, but £3m for Silvestre? You just had to go too far, didn't you icon_rolleyes.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dutch Dave:

Haha, something went terribly wrong with that link.

Here is the movie of Sneijder for those interested:

http://media.putfile.com/Wesley-Sneijder---The-playmaker-of-Ajax </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

some fb goals there. he looks like an awesome finisher, both feet aswell. what's his best position?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by nistelrooy_uk_10:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dutch Dave:

Haha, something went terribly wrong with that link.

Here is the movie of Sneijder for those interested:

http://media.putfile.com/Wesley-Sneijder---The-playmaker-of-Ajax </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

some fb goals there. he looks like an awesome finisher, both feet aswell. what's his best position? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Anywhere on the midfield. As long as he has an attacking role and he doesn't have to defend much.

At Ajax he mostly plays behind de attackers, the AMC postion.

At the World Cup Van Basten made him play as a DMC. Nodoby knew why, because Sneijder can't defend well. But Van Basten sometimes is weird like that. I can fairly say letting Sneijder play in that role made us play this crappy at the WC.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ACou2000:

indeed he looks a good finisher. the question is how good is his passing/creative game. if he can also control a game half as well as Scholes then it may be worth it </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

His passing and creativity is also very good. He's lacking in the 'controlling/defensive' area though.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ACou2000:

well going by that side, I guess we'd sell Nev, Rio, Evra, Ronnie, Carrick, Scholes, Park, Giggs, Saha, Rooney to raise the required funds. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You wouldn't sell Richardson icon_frown.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

On the fast track to becoming one of the greatest of all time

By Gary Lineker, Sunday Telegraph

There is something everyone who values the creative potential of football should do. Next time you get the chance to watch Manchester United in the flesh, get there early and get as close to pitchside as possible. Then watch Cristiano Ronaldo do his warm-up. It is breathtaking.

There are few players who I would watch going through the paces of their pre-match routine. But Ronaldo is not any old player: it is captivating to watch him work his way through his repertoire of tricks, flicks and skills. What is amazing is the speed at which he does it all. It's as if he needs the warm-up to get all his components calibrated for the superhuman feats that await. Watching him this season I've witnessed acts of manipulation of a football that verge on the physically impossible.

Ronaldo is still young at 22, but I believe that if he continues on this trajectory of development, he could become one of the greatest players ever. He has been unbelievable this season: he has turned from an exciting but flawed performer into a player who is impossible to defend against. He was accused in the past of being addicted to the step-over; now every decision he makes is the right one.

To put it bluntly, he has absolutely everything. His technique is remarkable, a truly sublime talent, but allied to that is an extraordinary ability to operate at high speed. He does not seem to slow up when he receives the ball and can perform his array of tricks at full sprint.

Then there's his shooting: he hits the ball with such power that the ball distorts and swerves in the air. How many goalkeepers have we seen rooted to their line as the ball defies physics as it swerves into the net.

Oh, and he can shoot with both feet, giving full-backs a headache about which way to steer him.

That's not it though. Despite being a tricky winger he is brilliant in the air, with a fantastic spring. And as Mark Hughes pointed out the other day, people don't always realise how big he is. He is tall and powerfully built -- he's like Thierry Henry in that way, being the complete package in terms of physique. And he doesn't even have the good grace to be ugly!

No wonder he smiles all the time. I would if I had that much talent. He clearly enjoys his football and plays with a real enthusiasm. What's more he wants to entertain and gets a rush from the crowd responding to his actions on the field.

There is the one black mark that people hold against him: the allegations of diving. Yes, in the past he tended to throw himself down to the turf at every opportunity and that behaviour was certainly in evidence at the World Cup in Germany. However, as I have consistently argued in this column, a large element of that is cultural. I have played in Spain, it is part of their game and nobody makes a fuss about it. Ronaldo must be taken aback every time there is a furore over this issue.

To be fair to him, he has changed his game remarkably in this respect. It is very hard when a player has gained a reputation, but even the most one-eyed of fans must concede he has improved an awful lot. The accusations flying around after the FA Cup quarter-final with Middlesbrough were nonsense. He was moving at high speed in the box and a bad challenge came in. Yes, he doesn't do everything in his power to avoid the challenge, but then why should he? A dive? No way.

Ronaldo gets fouled as often as all exciting attacking players do, but how often do you see him getting into rucks or remonstrating with referees? He simply picks himself up and gets going again. Every time he gets whacked, he brushes himself down and goes again.

So what is his secret? Well he is obviously blessed with great natural gifts, but there is also his work-rate. On the pitch you can see it in the way he tracks back and gives the formation shape, and in the number of selfless runs he makes to create space for his team-mates. Again, go back to the warm-up, much of what seems spontaneous is the fruit of some hard labour. We should encourage the kids in this country to approach the art of dribbling the way Ronaldo does.

As a youngster coming through the academy at Sporting Lisbon he never had it easy. He is from Madeira and had an accent that marked him out as different from his colleagues. Being a teenager away from his family from a young age is a tough experience many footballers have to endure, but Ronaldo had the further problem that a growth spurt made him vulnerable to injury.

The Sporting Lisbon coaching staff had to protect him from playing too much as his bones grew which must have been desperately frustrating for a player who enjoys being on the pitch so much.

It is that background that has helped him develop a mental toughness that marks him out from the pack. He does not shrink from big games, whether it is in club football or for Portugal. You can guarantee when a tough penalty needs taking that Ronaldo will stand up and be counted. Even when pressure has mounted him off the pitch, such as the aftermath to the "winking" affair at the World Cup when Wayne Rooney was sent off, he has dealt with it in dignified fashion. He keeps his mouth shut and lets his football do the talking.

The only player to get close to him this season has been Didier Drogba. Any other season and the Chelsea striker would surely have won the player of the year award. He has scored spectacular goal after spectacular goal, but he still doesn't quite have the impact of Ronaldo.

That could be the story of the season: the Portuguese winger has given United the edge over Chelsea. I have lost count of the games where his individual brilliance has been the difference.

So, as the Premiership draws its collective breath over the international weekend, Sir Alex Ferguson must be hoping that nothing happens to his prize asset. The aggressive rhetoric of the Belgium players who have threatened to hurt Ronaldo has been disappointing, but I wouldn't be too worried -- they're not quick enough to catch him.

Anyway, with the way the rules have been changed, players like Ronaldo are now given decent protection. I remember Diego Maradona getting lumps kicked out of him. When James Morrison tried something like that for Middlesbrough in the FA Cup replay last week, he was sent off.

I just hope he stays fit for the run-in because there are some big games in store. United travel to Stamford Bridge in the Premiership in an absolutely compelling fixture. Add to that the strong possibility of those two meeting again in the FA Cup final and it begins to look like an exciting climax to a fine season. It is not beyond the realms of possibility that it could also be a United-Chelsea final in the Champions League.

What a fantastic stage that would be for Ronaldo to demonstrate that he is becoming one of the great players of our time.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Umm, why have United taken £36.05 out of my account on March 19th and £47.38 out of my account on March 23rd?

Anyone else had them take out random payments? This isn't some automatic OU renewal or something is it?

I assume based on the automated emails I've received from the club for the last few games I've applied for, the first payment out is probably a Roma ticket, but I haven't the slightest clue why I'd get charged near £50 for anything. Unless I've been given the "privilege" of a comfortable premium seat or whatever in one of the quadrants.

Which is what I was thinking. Also I'm sure they'd have tried to hit me up for a 1-year season ticket first before getting me to renew my membership. Can't believe they'd hike it up from £30 to near £50 either...actually scratch that, it sounds exactly like what they'd do.

Still more likely to be the ticket thing though. I'm not wrong in thinking that this has happened to one or two of the peeps on here already this season am I? Pretty sure I didn't imagine reading that someone applied for a ticket in one place but received one in the "expensive seats".

Complete victim of Glazernomics it seems. Looks like the TO will be getting a call tomorrow morning...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Complete victim of Glazernomics it seems. Looks like the TO will be getting a call tomorrow morning... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thats what they want premium rate line

And from the news this morning that reckons we have 500 gazillion pounds to spend this summer.

Deco - No, No, No. Hes 30 in August and the prices quoted at £15m are just stupid.

Richards - Yes please. Young, Athlectic, Vidic like in the air and could be the perfect Neville replacement that completes our defence in the long run.

Sneijder - Yes for the right price. Hes still young and i'm sure we can improve his game.

Simao - I wouldnt want to pay £15m+ for him but the idea of a winger like him is music to the ears. We need another flyer for the wing.

It also seems Rangers and Villa are going to try and get Pique on loan next season.

And considering a few were fans of Reo Coker last season would any of you touch him with a bargepole now?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Taz & The Devil:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

On the fast track to becoming one of the greatest of all time

By Gary Lineker, Sunday Telegraph

</div></BLOCKQUOTE> </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

i've always said old big ears was a hero :*)

Reo Coker seemed very very good last year. I was hoping we'd go for him back then, and wouldnt exactly hate it now given the inevitablylower price.

But lets face it we have to be targetting Hargreaves with a view to actually getting him this summer. Continued noises coming from him that he wants to leave and I dont think Bayern can hold out another transfer window.

Reo Coker wasnt anything special last season but he was young and looked like he had potential. This season he has been known to put in performances that make you wonder if he and Richardson were cloned for the same talentless **** wit.

Its sad when one Prem season and an F.A Cup final makes you think you have made it.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by RedBlood:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Complete victim of Glazernomics it seems. Looks like the TO will be getting a call tomorrow morning... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thats what they want premium rate line </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ah, good point. Email it is then.

- - - - - - - -

RE: Taz's Transfers...

Reo-Coker - still think he's got potential but he was always a if the price was right and we missed out on a lot of other options for that position. He's been a bit unfairly vilified for West Ham's shortcomings IMO this year but I assume Fergie won't have him anywhere near the top of his list so its a non-starter for me.

Pique - would be happy to see him go out on loan again if he's not going to get near the 1st team & I personally don't want to see a player with such potential be discarded/reluctantly let go just yet.

Richards - Really don't see what the long-term fuss with this lad is. Yes the raw physical capacity of the lad is excellent but from what I have seen I'm not convinced he's got the mental or technical stuff in his locker in the long run as far as development goes. Would personally prefer a different type of right back really. I also have concerns that he's being blooded because he's physically ready for top level football and put in at full-back because the responsibility is less in that position than it is at CB, where I would assume he's likely to end up, but never quite at the top end of the scale. If I'm proved wrong in the future so be it but at the minute I'm thinking he's going to have more parallels with Wes' career than say Sol Campbell's.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Taz & The Devil:

Richards is 18 years old. I see a lot of potential there.

The kid does a good job of being an attacking full back. Yes he is built for the centre and unstoppable in the air but i see no reason why he cant go onto be Nevs long term replacment for club and country. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Personally I think thats more indicative of the lack of top full-backs produced in general than anything else.

Like I said if I'm proved wrong I'm proved wrong but at the minute there's far too much hyperbole around the kid at the minute.

if he develops all the technical and mental aspects to his game that you need to be a top class right back that Neville has been then fair enough, but I dont think we can make any judgements about that yet.. and it's far too early to proclaim him as Nev's replacement

imo

totally dont get the richards thing. good player, superb in the air and built like a marine but have seen nothing to make me think he would be close to nevilles brilliance going forward (zero threat crossing wise which is arguably nevilles biggest plus over other 'good' right backs) and positionally goes missing at times.

miguel the next best thing to neville and a few years younger, plus him and ronnie could taunt the opposition in portuguese as they breeze past them. nice.

totally dont get the richards thing. good player, superb in the air and built like a marine but have seen nothing to make me think he would be close to nevilles brilliance going forward (zero threat crossing wise which is arguably nevilles biggest plus over other 'good' right backs) and positionally goes missing at times.

miguel the next best thing to neville and a few years younger, plus him and ronnie could taunt the opposition in portuguese as they breeze past them. nice. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Iirc, the reason he was brought on for England on Saturday, (according to the commentator) was that he was more suited to attacking than Neville.

I know it was Pip on Saturday, and you're talking Gary, but it's still balls. icon_smile.gif

yeah, but commentators are, by and large, morons. richards is good going forward in a 'chuck him upfront and he'll make a proper nuisance of himself' way but in a more traditional attacking full-back sense, he's far from being fit to lick nev's boots (either nev frankly).

The "since Beckham left" is the key there. I don't think it has improved that much. The difference is at least as much the situations in which he's crossing as his ability at it.

These days he's generally got a winger in front of him, who's pushed high up the pitch and usually has not only the full back but also the wide midfielder trying to mark him. So when Gaz is crossing, it's often from a good position just outside the box, with little pressure from the opposition. That's the position (although in his case under pressure) which Beckham would usually occupy, so Neville's crosses would more often happen on the overlap, and more importantly on the run.

I'm not saying it's not got better, or that he's not good at it. But a lot of the supposed improvement is down to essentially the difference between having Ronaldo rather than Beckham in front of him.

Similar things have happened on the other side. Evra has looked great in an attacking sense this season, and part of the reason has been that he's been able to use his pace to bomb on and overlap, as Giggs plays much deeper these days and ists in for him. Heinze by contrast doesn't do that so well, so hasn't looked as good in an attacking sense. Yet in the last two games, Heinze has suddenly looked much more of an attacking threat, putting in good crosses. That's been partly down to having Ronaldo and then Richardson (who for all his uselessness, was playing more the position of a winger higher up the pitch than giggs tends to) in front of him.

This is why people need to be very wary about touting full backs as being able to play wide midfield because they look good going forward. It's a completely different proposition playing against a wide midfielder who may not track back enough, to going up against a full back who's actually marking you.

Archived