The Manchester United thread 2006/2007 - featuring BBB leaving early

foobR

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by James07?:

and what gonch said. Being 12 or whatever it is, really isn't something to boast about. Most of us (even BBB) have touched girls and stuff. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Only scouse ones though, not sure they count.

• Replies 51.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Does WSR have any actual opinions on United at all? I've only EVER seen him posting stuff relating to ticket prices, allocations, seating arrangements etc. We get it, you go to games - even BBB believes you.

That probably didn't need to be said, but it seems like he's getting picked on at the moment and I just love mob mentality.

So both fecking years ago and both rubbish then?

Simply can't see us getting Richards direct off of Citeh. Not without stupid money anyway, and there's a multitude of other options out there.

He'll no doubt follow the Wright-Philips' road of going to Chelsea and then rotting quietly on the bench.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

Zaragoza hope for Pique deal

Real Zaragoza are ready to haggle with Manchester United in a bid to keep Gerard Pique at the club.

Pique is spending the season on loan in La Liga and the Spanish defender is unsure what the future holds.

He revealed last week that he is keen to forge a career at Old Trafford, but is also wary about returning to the Premiership leaders.

The youngster admitted that, if next season promises a diet of reserve-team football, then he would prefer to stay with Zaragoza.

According to reports in Spain those comments have prompted Zaragoza to start enquiries with regards to a permanent deal for Pique.

A figure of €6million (£4million) has reportedly been quoted for the ex-Barcelona youth, with Zaragoza keen to negotiate down to €4m (£2.7m).

If a price can not be agreed, then the Spanish media expect Zaragoza to ask for another season-long loan with a view to a permanent deal in 2008.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by James07?:

Wyn Davies is the only other player to sign for us from them. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Though we did get the likes of Meredith etc from them

Wasn't it to do with City paying them over the legal maximum weekly wage? (Paying up to £4 when it was £2 at the time?) Then whilst they were banned we snapped up a load of their players ready for when the bans ended.

Either way that was the very day the bitterness started.

the bbc's south american expert Tom Vickery on our brazilian twins Rafael and Fabio:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I've been watching them in the South American Under-17 Championships, which Brazil won on Sunday. Rafael plays at right-back, Fabio, the captain, is left-back, though he's right footed.

They're both very impressive, especially Fabio, who was the second top scorer in the competition. They remind me of the Argentine Sorin in terms of the variety of their attacking game - they can hit the bye-line, they have poise on the ball, can cut inside and exchange passes and they are both terrific attacking headers of the ball.

As I understand it, United have to wait until they're 18. Usually in this situation I'm sceptical about the players moving so early. With this one I can see the logic. Neither of them are fantastic defensively, and if they stay in Brazil, given the attacking importance of full-backs, they might be allowed to stay that way. Perhaps United feel that if they get them over early they can develop this side of their game. The downside of course is that it's a gamble, and if it doesn't come off then the twins have far more to lose than United. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Blaine:

seems strange that city fans are coming in here to big up micah richards as though to make us happy with us going for him... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'll post in the City thread the weaknesses of Gary Neville and see if you lot stay out icon_smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Gazz22:

£2.7 million for Pique is robbery. He may not be as good as Rio or Vidic (who is?) but he's a quality young player. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I wouldn't say that it's robbery exactly, as he's still largely unproven. However, you're right in the sense that if it was United trying to sign a promising young defender from Zaragoza's first team the bidding would start from 4 million at least.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Blaine:

ha, lampard training with his wrist in a cast after he was on the wrong end of a rooney shot. icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Obviously stood at the side of the goal then icon_wink.gif

ha, lampard training with his wrist in a cast after he was on the wrong end of a rooney shot. icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

\o/

Bet he still doesn't get dropped though.

After all that Neville talk on the last page I thought I'd keep it going on this page. Its not good news though icon_frown.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

From The Times

March 27, 2007

All hands on deck for United as Neville prognosis worsens

James Ducker

Manchester United’s hopes of an unprecedented second treble have been dealt a significant blow after it emerged yesterday that Gary Neville, the club captain, could be out of action for up to another six weeks because of injury.

Neville is expected to miss the whole of next month and faces a race to be fit in time for the potential Barclays Premiership title decider against Chelsea at Stamford Bridge on May 9.

It is not clear whether Neville has suffered a setback in his recovery from ankle ligament damage that he suffered in the 4-1 victory at home to Bolton Wanderers ten days ago or whether United’s initial suggestion that he would be sidelined for three weeks was optimistic.

Certainly, the England defender’s absence will be keenly felt as the club step up their three-pronged pursuit of Premiership, Champions League and FA Cup honours.

Neville is understood to be hopeful of regaining full fitness by the time United visit Stamford Bridge in their rearranged Premiership fixture — their penultimate and possibly decisive league game of the season — but assuming he does not return before then, Sir Alex Ferguson, the United manager, will be without his captain for as many as 11 matches.

Key among those are the FA Cup semi-final against Watford at Villa Park on April 14, both legs of the Champions League quarter-final against AS Roma next Wednesday and April 10 and, perhaps most significantly, should United overcome the Italian team, both legs of the semi-final against the winners of the AC Milan-Bayern Mu-nich tie, on April 24 and May 2.

Neville left the field only seven minutes into United’s game against Bolton after a challenge by Gary Speed and the defender was still limping heavily yesterday.

The injury is an untimely blow for Ferguson, who already has to do without Mikaël Silves-tre, the France defender, for the rest of the season because of a dislocated shoulder, and underlines why the manager has told fringe players such as Wes Brown, Gabriel Heinze and John O’Shea that they will be “the most important players at the club†during the run-in.

On a positive note for Ferguson, his striking options are expected to improve in the league match at home to Blackburn Rovers on Saturday, with Louis Saha and Ole Gunnar Solskjaer back in contention after injury.

His first-choice goalkeeper, Edwin van der Sar, who has been passed fit to play for Holland in their Euro 2008 qualifying match away to Slovenia tomorrow after overcoming a calf strain, will also return.

There was better news, too, on the issue of Cristiano Ronaldo’s new contract. The Portu-gal winger has reiterated his desire to stay at Old Trafford just days after Jorge Mendes, his agent, had suggested that a deal might not be resolved until the summer amid serious interest in the player from Real Madrid and Barcelona.

“It’s a good sign to know that I have so many clubs interested in me, such as Madrid,†Ronaldo said. “It means that I am valued and my work pleases, but I’m very happy where I am and I hope to stay at Manchester United for many years.â€

Ronaldo’s form has been central to United’s hopes of repeating the historic treble success of eight years ago. However, Paul Scholes insisted yesterday that winning the Premiership remained the club’s “top priorityâ€.

“After not doing so well in the Premiership in the last couple of years, we’re all more determined than ever to lift the trophy this year,†the former England midfield player said.

“The other competitions would be a bonus if we can do well in them. If we could win all three, that would be nice, but if I had to choose one, it would be the league. I think a lot of the players feel that way.†</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JulesMUFC:

haha away ticket for £120 ****ing hell. your contact is a right ****, they are like £15. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I know. He's a bit of a ****. Every domestic game is £50 too icon_mad.gif

How are you enjoying best and edwards james?

I'm probably about a quarter way through and think its thoroughly well written and enjoyable. Although Bestsstories in the book come across bitter and sad where as Edwards stories are written in such a magnificent light. I guess thats the point of the book though to highlight how much talent both had and how both sets of talent were in the end wasted.

Enjoyable though

I’ve got about 10-15 pages left. I’d agree, the difference in his attitude towards them is stark, although Best comes out more sympathetically later on. I’m still enjoying it, but on occasions it’s a little pretentious.

Archived