The Manchester United thread 2006/2007 - featuring BBB leaving early

foobR

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by RedBlood:

News footage from after the CL final </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That was a pretty interesting video.

Chubbed for Everton. icon13.gif

• Replies 51.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Park's out with a knee injury apparently. presume that happened in training because he was still haring about deep into injury time on saturday. annoying.

guess that leaves the Richardson option as the obvious one sadly. would be surprised to see Smudger up top with Rooney although it's clearly infinitely preferable. if we must use some kind of 451, Fletch on the right with Ronaldo on the left maybe? (depends on Dazzle's fitness really).

these injuries are getting mental now. was always bound to happen i guess.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Weststandred:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by RedBlood:

News footage from after the CL final </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That was a pretty interesting video.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

:***********)

Going into school that day with my Utd top along with every other Utd fan and the teachers not doing anything.

Such an awesome parade as well. I was halfway down Deansgate and don't know if I've ever experienced anything quite so awesome.

Driving home afterwards, as far away as Stockport people were honking their horns when they saw the Utd scarf hanging out of our window icon_cool.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20:

proper hair on back of neck standing up stuff that icon_cool.gif

if we get to athens i AM going. even if it means selling a kidney. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The amount you drink they wont be worth ****.

Well done Sue. Take no notice of the idiots who post comments excusing Ferdinand. Good footballer, maybe, but he, like many others, needs to grow up, set a better example to young fans and learn to smile occasionally. Apologising afterwards is not enough. He shouldn't have kicked the ball into the crowd in the first place. The recipient could have been a small child in a wheelchair.

icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">while i'm here, cop a look at this spectacularly abysmal piece of journalism </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I honestly think the Ian Thorpe piece is even worse that the Rio piece.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by No Longer Bling:

Well done Sue. Take no notice of the idiots who post comments excusing Ferdinand. Good footballer, maybe, but he, like many others, needs to grow up, set a better example to young fans and learn to smile occasionally. Apologising afterwards is not enough. He shouldn't have kicked the ball into the crowd in the first place. The recipient could have been a small child in a wheelchair.

icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

he could have hit a plane at Manc Airport and caused multiple fatalities icon_frown.gif

http://www.skysports.com/skysports/article/0,,1-1258668,00.html

Just emailed sky

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> To whom it may concern.

I was there on Saturday and from the angle where I was sitting, it looked to me that Rio screamed "Have that you prawn sandwich SCUM" and launched the ball (which was filled with lead) at the woman, then after the game he gave her his shirt which was covered in itching powder and kicked her in the ovaries, it's disgraceful, on a serious note, write about something newsworthy like Gerrard diving for England last week, oops, my mistake, Ronaldo is the only player that has "dived" ever. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I hear the United fans are being kept in for 90 minutes after full time icon13.gif Did that in Milan and it wasn't fun. P*ssed up, p*ssed off United fans are no fun to be caged up with

Got a feeling we'll win 2-0 tonight and Rio'll score :/

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by alilaw:

We won't score twice lads. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Correct.

We will score thrice.

i'm having one of those days where i just feel we're gonna play well. In a strange way, more worried about Portsmouth on Saturday.

Just got a feeling it could be like the night we spanked Juve with our reserves a few years back

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Pickles:

i'm having one of those days where i just feel we're gonna play well. In a strange way, more worried about Portsmouth on Saturday.

Just got a feeling it could be like the night we spanked Juve with our reserves a few years back </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

fantastic game, Keane at centre back and Giggs upfront on his own icon_biggrin.gif and Neville hitting the cross bar from 25 yards iirc, Brown was brilliant that day icon_biggrin.gif

Though tbf they did have a lot of players out with flu.

Anyway the way we're playing I don't see why we can't just have a really good go at them. Though I think we might miss Neville going forward.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bagpuss:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by alilaw:

Correct.

We will score thrice. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If we score 3 times in Rome I promise to introduce you to my very nice and naive 18 year old sister at the Sheffield United game.

It just won't happen.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Anyway the way we're playing I don't see why we can't just have a really good go at them </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Because it's not Fergie's way in europe.

I'm struggling to see us even scoring tonight, and i've got a horrible feeling we're going to get a wake up call.

There's a good chance of 4-5-1 with Rooney up top on his own, and/or Richardson starting. Rooney's off form, and we've no other match sharp striker. Ronaldo has still been nowhere near his domestic form in europe, and that also applies to the whole team. From what i'm hearing Totti is in scintillating form, and we've already lost three of our first choice back 4. Our two best players, Scholes and Ronaldo, are a booking away from being suspended for the crucial second leg. Fergie always plays negatively in europe, especially away from home. In the last 4 seasons (excluding qualifiers), we've only scored 9 goals in 15 away ties. In those same 15 ties, we've won 4, drawn 3 and lost a whopping 8, with defeats at the like of Stuttgart, Feberbahce, Lille, Copenhagen, and Celtic. And on top of all that, Mart's going to get stabbed icon_frown.gif

Apart from that, i'm quite optimistic.

Sorry about all that, but Mika's not around, so someone had to fill in. Did i miss anything, mate?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bagpuss:

Correct.

If we score 3 times in Rome I promise to introduce you to my very nice and naive 18 year old sister at the Sheffield United game.

It just won't happen. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

if it happens i'll have to go to the damn sheff utd game now bah

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mark g:

Mart's going to get stabbed icon_frown.gif

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mark g:

He's no loss. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">if it happens i'll have to go to the damn sheff utd game now bah </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'll offer my sister in exchange for someone's ticket icon14.gificon_wink.gif

Correct.

It just won't happen. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

if it happens i'll have to go to the damn sheff utd game now bah </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Isn't 18 a bit old for you?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Gregg Carter:

He's no loss. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

you're not getting the hang of being Mika are you. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I was purely doing the pessimism aspect of his character. I was never intending to do the irrational love for formerly great strikers that continues long after their usefullness has declined. I believe Nick has the spare set of those blinkers.

You can't even say those things in jest, you know Mark. It'll all start again. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

A Tsunami wiping out Hull and the surrounding area wouldn't stop that regardless.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Let's just focus on the sad fact that Kieran Richardson may start a European Champions League Quarter Final tonight icon_frown.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

We can only hope that one out of Saha, Smith or Fletcher is considered fit enough to start. Even Ole would be better than the alternative, i suppose.

I'd be tempted to play:

VDS

O'Shea

Heinze

Ferdinand

Brown

Solskjaer

Carrick

Scholes

Giggs

Ronaldo

Rooney

a narrow midfield without pace on the wings doesn't seem good, esp without Neville and Evra overlapping, but I get the feeling that it'd work through the middle, Scholes, Rooney and Ronaldo all together could be cramped, or it could be fantastic. If Ronaldo was on one of the wings it'd be easy to double up on him, in the middle that'd just create space for Ole and Scholes to come into. and if it doesn't work we can always switch it.

'mon Smudger, Saha, Ole, Kuszczak, me, Bobby Charlton, Fergie, Paddy Evra on one leg, Queiroz or even one of their players being picked ahead of Richardson.

he would be embarassingly out of his depth, and I'll probably cry like a little girl if I see him in the starting 11 tonight.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20:

usefulness declined? 11 goals suggests otherwise old-timer icon_mad.gif

i'd start Smudger alongside Rooney fwiw. even if we go 451, stick him in midfield and just get him to crunch Totti </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

its gona be 4-5-1. can't see Smithy starting. He would be my choice though, up front with Rooney.

Ole plays up top or not at all for me. Put him wide and you've got all the downsides with his game these days, while minimising the chances of the one upside, namely that he can still nick you a goal.

In all honesty, it's hard to judge who to play as we're judging a load of players who've just come back from injury, in most cases without any opportunity to see how near/far from full fitness they are.

In reality you'd have to judge it from how they look in training, but given the information we have i'd go for Saha. He's the best option if everyone was fit, both in terms of individual ability and team balance, so given it's a half fit Saha or a half fit one of the others, he'd get the nod.

Archived