The Manchester United thread 2006/2007 - featuring BBB leaving early

foobR

Based on current injuries/recovery processes I'd prefer him to just utilise the players we have that are closest to full fitness, i.e. play OGS up with Rooney. Then he can bring Smith on later in the game since I'd rather Fletch and Saha were given a bit more time to recover. I kinda think that they must be close enough to be involved otherwise the manager wouldn't have forced them to travel but then its quite a turnaround from reports that said both would be involved for the reserves on Thursday & that the lack of depth in the squad has forced his hand a bit as far as making sure the cover is there.

Of course if Fletch can be used & Fergie still wants to go 451 that makes more sense than giving Richardson game time on a stage he's not equipped for. I suppose 451 with Rooney/OGS as the lone front man and the other on the wing is another option. If he goes 451 and Saha starts I'd be very, very surprised.

• Replies 51.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Rooney should not be up front on his own, or on the wing. we really need to play 4-4-2, with Rooney playing in his best position. If Saha isn't fit, we should go with Smith, and let Ronaldo and Rooney play with the freedom that they have in the Prem.

Can see a dull 0-0 or 1-0 defeat.

tbh I wouldn't mind going out at this stage, if it means we get the league and beat the rent boys in the FA Cup final, and if the Scousers don't win the Champs League.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20:

usefulness declined? 11 goals suggests otherwise old-timer icon_mad.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, all those goals in the last minute against already beaten opposition have made the difference this year icon14.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mark g:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20:

usefulness declined? 11 goals suggests otherwise old-timer icon_mad.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, all those goals in the last minute against already beaten opposition have made the difference this year icon14.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hey goal difference could still be the deciding factor in the title race so don't knock it.

Btw I'm with you on the Ole "up-front or not at all" side of things.

celtic, newcastle, reading icon_mad.gif

anyway, surely the dilemma from your pov isn't who to play instead of Richardson but who to play instead of Giggs?

icon_cool.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

fcuk it.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Young Jimlad:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mark g:

Yeah, all those goals in the last minute against already beaten opposition have made the difference this year icon14.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hey goal difference could still be the deciding factor in the title race so don't knock it.

Btw I'm with you on the Ole "up-front or not at all" side of things. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I only do it because it gets the rise out of Nick. But as you can see, he decided to retaliate with a low blow icon_frown.gif

Is anyone else wondering what the best way to manage Roma's 451/433 formation is?

Totti's not your typical front man and Mancini & Taddei (assuming both play) are difficult to pin down given their mobility, and when you add in the fact that JOS & Gabby are probably both less mobile than GNev/Evra does that mean that Rio or Wes (whomever isn't marking Totti) is going to be dragged out to support/cover for each full-back?

The rest of the team is basically a platform for these 3 to do damage in open play and with their preferred centre-mid trio having a lot of competitive energy I'm also concerned that if we do go 442 we might get swamped by them a bit. Set-pieces will also be an issue.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by red&white army:

does anyone else see the impending inevitability of the Scousers winning it again? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not prepared to believe it.

don't personally think a 451 is the worst plan ever tonight, for once. if we were full strength i'd say 442 all the way but i'm not sure we can play that formation effectively in this kind of game given who we're missing.

as for the scousers winning it, in 2005 i think we all just buried our heads in the sand and said 'they're not going to win it ffs, they're sh*t' all the way to them eventually winning the thing, so i'm going for the 'they've got it in the bag' approach this time

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Saha:

yeah it occured to me after i hit post that they're playing chelsea but because i'm not a pedantic welsh ****wit i didn't think it was worth mentioning </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

i wuvwoo too.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by AndyPolack:

Who has gone?

James and BBB is about all i know. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

plus Coldberg and Razor Eddie

Really pretty annoyed that fate has conspired to keep JSP out of this game. If we have to play 451 to flood the midfield and protect the full-backs our man from Korea would be ideal, especially with Fletch not being quite back to full fitness yet.

Now we have to use Ole, Richardson or Rooney out wide really if one assumes that Scholes/Carrick/Giggs will be our 3 centre-mids & Ronny the other wide man. Smith up on his own and Rooney/Ronny in from the wide areas with Saha/Ole to come in late on? If only we still had Henke...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by AndyPolack:

Who has gone?

James and BBB is about all i know. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

plus Coldberg and Razor Eddie </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well if they're together Eddie'll keep em safe.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by gonch19:

how is it even remotely possible that richardson might start? even with our injuries i dont see it, is there something im missing? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

What team are you playing then? Park's out, Saha, Smith and Ole not fully fit, meaning Giggs is likely to be up with Rooney again and leaving a gap in midfield.

wait a sec, smith and ole are injured???

fergie's blatantly going to play rooney on the wing like he ALWAYS does in europe, so if fletch can fill in in midfield or o'shea fills in there and someone deputises at right back we could play smith upfront on his own?

aw man im starting to get the nerves

I'd rather play 4-4-2 and let them worry about us than 4-5-1. I think it's vital that we score, and i think they'll be more worried about not conceding. A more open game suits us, a stifled one suits them, as i think they would be the happier if it ended up 0-0. I do think this is just the sort of game where we may rue not having a Hargreaves type player if/when Totti starts dropping off.

Did anyone see how he fared last night? Was he mostly having to deal with Kaka as predicted?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by gonch19:

wait a sec, smith and ole are injured???

fergie's blatantly going to play rooney on the wing like he ALWAYS does in europe, so if fletch can fill in in midfield or o'shea fills in there and someone deputises at right back we could play smith upfront on his own?

aw man im starting to get the nerves </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not injured, but hardly match fit.

Fergie didn't trust Smith for relatively weak Premiership teams, I doubt he'll trust him with Roma.

Ole's the Richardson alternative I'm hoping for.

I do think this is just the sort of game where we may rue not having a Hargreaves type player if/when Totti starts dropping off. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm not sure that it'll work like that from what I understand/what little I've seen about how Roma play.

Since he's essentially a lone front man who drops off rather than doing the traditional hold-up play work on the edge of the 18-yard box we could arguably just let Wes loose on Totti and smother him to death, play the two full-backs slightly narrower since Mancini & Taddei both like to drift/dribble in from the flanks, and have Rio cover any spaces left in between.

Their full-backs, especially with Tonetto out, aren't going to get forwards loads & their midfield aren't notorious goal getters. Pizarro is out so his prompting and bite aren't a factor. De Rossi is bite with the odd dangerous long shot so he's containable. Perotta is probably their most likely bet from the middle of the park to cause trouble so as long someone is watching his runs we're not going to get that caught out hopefully.

Like I said earlier set-pieces are a bit of a worry because we've not been great at them this season at times and in Chivu, Mancini & Totti they've got real dead-ball threats and Mexes & Panucci have been known to get on the end of corners and free-kicks effectively. Thats where Vidic is going to be missed more than anything since I think that Wes can deal with Totti on the ground if he concentrates fully.

An away goal and avoid defeat and i'm happy. Not much to ask really.

On the formation i hope for 4-4-2 with Smith up top and then Saha to come on for him around the hour mark.

If its 4-5-1 then i'd put Giggs wide and Rooney in the centre so he can put himself about a bit. Smith up top.

Fergie better have remembered to pack his brain in his suitcase so we dont get to see Richardson anywhere near the pitch tonight.

I'll take 2-1. We can still win the tie.

Scholes stupidity has cost us though, i have no idea what was going through his head. He must have known the ref had no choice but to send him off.

Had we kept 11 i dont think we would have lost and i wouldnt have been suprised to see us win.

Shock horror Ronnie MoM as always.

yeah not much else to add than what was said in the match thread. disappointed in scholes, hes such an experienced player yet in an utterly massive match like this he does something as stupid as that? madness. giggs an utter disgrace, completely anonymous. when we were under the cosh he didnt seem overly interested in taking up a decent defensive position altho tbf the same could be said of a few players. heinzes positioning tonight was very strange, not sure if there was something i was missing there but we got off lightly given how often they were in down the right.

ronnie was superb. very rarely lost the ball, continually relieving the pressure and of course drags us back in it. so happy that rooney got a goal for his confidence too.

really happy with the result as i honestly think it works in our favour more than a 1-1 as theres no danger of us sitting back and just seeing what happens in the belief were thru on away goals. much rather us know that we quite simply HAVE to win.

I'm nowhere near as happy as everyone else seems to be about this :/

It's not an awful result, but given we're without Scholes and will most likely concede in the 2nd leg I'm not pleased with it either

It was good given that we were down to 10 for so long, but my hopes of us qualifying have gone down rather than up after this game

still 2nd leg should be a great game though

well.. under the circumstances a good result.

We didn't start particularly well but saying that weren't threatening by Roma either, mainly long range efforts. Scholesy started the game badly, a couple of decisions going against him then he made two very stupid tackles which clearly deserved a red. We didn't play too badly in the first half, there weren't that many chances for either side but they scored luckily before half-time which was very annoying, nobody at fault for the goal it was just pure hard luck with the deflection.

The actions after that were pretty bad tbh, both sets of supporters and the police acted wrongly. The Roma fans shouldn't have ran to the United fans banging the segregation but then the group of Reds shouldn't have reacted in the way they did. But from seeing the coverage the Italian police looked 100% in the wrong, of course their aim was to stop the violence and split the two sets of supporters but why only the United fans? I think everyone knows about the "heavy-handed" police and from the few clips I have seen some normal looking supporters, completely innocent looked to be injured.

Mika with some great posting in the match thread. icon_biggrin.gif

Exactly what I was thinking at half-time, we should go at them and try and score because 2-1 >>> 1-0 for us. Good call also with the goal too, very unlike Mika. Great play by Ronaldo taking a couple of Roma players on and then playing a simple ball to Ole, who then played a perfect cross to Rooney and he put it away nicely. I am glad Rooney scored so all these stupid commentators will shut up with their stupid statistics. A little disappointed that they scored shortly after, VDS's fault really, he had to do something better than punching it straight back out but ah well.

With a good performance at Old Trafford we should go through and I think we will, I can't go though, arrgh! However Roma looked good going forward and on the counter attack which could cause some problems. I am looking forward to hearing stories of what happened in tonight by the OTF lot and my three mates who went too. icon14.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Weststandred:

Exactly what I was thinking at half-time, we should go at them and try and score because 2-1 >>> 1-0 for us. Good call also with the goal too, very unlike Mika. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

icon_mad.gif

Probably fair though icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by cooldude0007:

who should we get in the summer.

hargreves is coming

nani or bale and some striker mayby torres or hutelaar. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Noone cares what you think.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson insists his side have a 'fantastic chance' of making it through to the last four of the UEFA Champions League.

United lost their first leg quarter-final clash with Roma 2-1 at the Stadio Olimpico - with goals from Rodrigo Taddei and Mirko Vucinic sandwiching a Wayne Rooney strike.

Also given that Paul Scholes was dismissed after just half an hour - the United boss was more than happy with his team's performance in the Italian capital.

"At Old Trafford we have a got a fantastic chance - don't worry about that," Ferguson told Sky Sports.

"It is finely balanced simply because they have got a lead and we have to get at them and get the goal which will change the game, if we get the goal it changes the game and they will have to come out and it will be interesting to see that."

Ferguson was far from happy with referee Herbert Fandel - but had no complaints about Scholes's red card.

"I think playing with ten men possibly against 12 men for an hour it is a good result for us and the away goal could be decisive," he continued.

"I said before the game if we score we have a massive chance and we have done that.

"It was a hard night for us, I don't think we got a decision for us all night but that is European football I am afraid - but I cannot complain about the sending off, I think it probably was two cards.

"Paul likes a tackle, no question, but unfortunately in Europe that is not acceptable.

"But you saw Chivu - the referee told us before the game that anyone encouraging players to get booked or sent-off he would book them, but he didn't book them - Chivu was along clapping and applauding for a player to get sent off - but that is not acceptable.

"But I am pleased we have scored a goal, second half we dug in and survived a lot of the crosses, which they are good at - they get in good positions and whip the ball in."

Ferguson was full of praise for Rooney's strike - his first European goal since his United debut two-and-half years ago.

"It was a great goal and you probably won't see a better goal tonight," he said.

"Fantastic football and a great finish, composure and it was really excellent finish.

"Then I thought they started to get a bit nervous, but the second goal had a bit of luck to it."

The United boss refused to blame Edwin van der Sar for Vucinic's winner.

"I don't think Edwin could have done much with it, maybe he could have got it over the bar - but those balls do move and that was the lucky break they got," he said.

Ferguson also hailed the return of Darren Fletcher - given Scholes will be suspended.

"The way the numbers are, we have Park out, Patrice, Mikael Silvestre, Gary Neville we have got a few players out injured and we could do without it - but it was encouraging to get Darren Fletcher back - another player with great energy in the middle of the park and at this time of the season that can be important to us," he said.

"Ryan Giggs can play in central midfield, we have got the options - they're not perfect, but Paul Scholes is a great player."

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Fergie probably hadn't seen Silva's goal before saying that, but it was a beautiful goal. I do think it was VDS's fault for Roma's second goal, Fergie probably just doesn't want to admit it though.

I think Giggs is naff in central midfield, easily prefer Fletcher.

Archived