The Manchester United thread 2006/2007 - featuring BBB leaving early

foobR

• Replies 51.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by James07?:

I know some of you have taken advantage, but it’s bloody annoying that the club seemingly guarantees tickets for any member that books on a official trip, yet those that have the temerity to want to travel independently get screwed in the ballot. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think it's an utter joke that members can get onto the club trips. Should be book holders and execs only.

I tried in the ballot and failed so club was the only way, I do agree with you, again it's all down to Loyalty.

Hopefully we'll have a decent allocation and travelling to Rome will have some advantage.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by lpx88:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Terry Cheung:

Villa Park is the next best thing to a home tie </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

yea i agree..

but which ground in England can offer 76000 fans roaring and cheering your team on? icon_biggrin.gif

and by the way, just curious.. Why do Real still have so much money in their pockets despite being trophy-less for the past few seasons? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've watch some documentary regarding this some time back, it's basically that the Prince himself is a supporter of Real, and knowing people in higher places gets you a lot of advantage such as getting properties on the cheap and selling them for ridiculous sum of money, and banks willing to loan out high sum of money with almost infinite repayment period.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ajw2255:

Ronaldo won't go to real.

you heard itn here first </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

He might not this summer, but he will play there during his career.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by James07?:

I know some of you have taken advantage, but it’s bloody annoying that the club seemingly guarantees tickets for any member that books on a official trip, yet those that have the temerity to want to travel independently get screwed in the ballot. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

i completely agree tbf, but its a way to by pass the ballot which i feel like a bit of a twat to do because of the amount of people who get chubbed and deserve tickets.

are you going to go to this as well james?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Red_Comet:

I've watch some documentary regarding this some time back, it's basically that the Prince himself is a supporter of Real, and knowing people in higher places gets you a lot of advantage such as getting properties on the cheap and selling them for ridiculous sum of money, and banks willing to loan out high sum of money with almost infinite repayment period. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

A few years ago, Real Madrid sold their training ground to the government for something like 200 million euros and now they lease it back. So yes, having the right backing can get you all sorts of advantages.

MU Travel have the one up so far £289 day trip from Manchester with ticket cost on top and insurance i guess??

No idea what BBB stuck in for that last time.

Obviously be applying via the ballot first like last time.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

From Times Online

April 11, 2007

Italy condemns 'humiliated' Roma

Richard Owen, Rome

If one word dominated the Italian press this morning it was "humiliation". The Italian media held its collective head in its hands over AS Roma's unprecedented 7-1 defeat at the hands of Manchester United at Old Trafford. So traumatic was the disaster, so lacerating the self-criticism, that arrests and clashes were mentioned almost in passing.

Last week the hooliganism and heavy-handed Italian police behaviour at the Olympic Stadium were downplayed - at least at first - in the Italian media largely because it seemed to Italians par for the course. This time the trouble at Old Trafford was given relatively short shrift simply because the collapse of AS Roma on the pitch was the only topic on anyone's mind, especially in Rome itself.

"Farewell dreams: Roma humiliated by Manchester" ran the front page headline in la Repubblica. "Disastrous knockout for Roma, a nightmare of a night " said Corriere della Sera. "Oh No! Roma were unwatchable, passive, unrecognisable, humiliated - a night to forget" said Il Messaggero, the Rome daily, for whom Francesco Totti - "Il Capitano" - can normally do no wrong.

Totti, it reported, was "inconsolable". "Roma sink to rock bottom" said Corriere della Sport, adding that English clubs were now "the masters of Europe".

At the AS Roma club in Testaccio, a working class district where "Romanisti" had gathered to watch the match on Tuesday night, the mood was one of desolation. "They massacred us," one said. "No," said another, "we massacred ourselves. Incredible." Not even Daniele De Rossi's sole goal was a consolation.

Newspapers carried photographs of Luciano Spalletti's "haunted face of despair". Most of the comments from the fans on him were unprintable. But as the day wore on, spirits began to revive.

"We can still be proud," said Vincenzo Cerami, a football commentator. "To suffer three goals against you in the first 18 minutes - that saps your energy, gives you a sense of impotence from which it is hard to recover. Plus we faced a team of world stature. Totti and Co can return with their heads held high - we'll get our revenge against the Red Devils another time."

Gazzetta dello Sport agreed, saying Roma would now have to "pick themselves up and start all over again".

As for the violence, Italian reports blamed the "drunken" Manchester fans, "floating on a sea of beer", but also had harsh words for "imbecilic" Roma fans chanting "Duce, Duce". "This was the revenge of the Manchester fans for what happened at the Stadio Olimpico," said Corriere della Sera, reporting that the violence had been provoked by a couple of hundred Manchester "black hoodies" who had set out - successfully - to tempt Roma fans into a fight by hurling cans, rocks and anti-Italian insults.

There was praise however for "effective" British policing. The contrast with Italian police at the Olympic Stadium was implicit rather than spelled out, but there nonetheless, with the emphasis on the British use of police horses and dogs and the tactic of stopping aggressive fans getting into the stadium to start with. The Manchester hooligans on Tuesday night, La Stampa told its readers, were "the last remnants of the hooligans so decisively defeated by the tough anti-hooligan laws of the Blair government" - laws that Italy itself is now trying to emulate. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Interesting to see their views on the trouble outside the stadium. From what I've heard it sounds like quite a fair assessment, basically that there is still a small percentage of fans who are utter twats.

I was thinking that last night. I think I'd go a Liverpool CL, because a Chelsea quadruple would mean us not winning the Premiership whereas the scousers winning the CL might be cringeworthy but we've still got the Premiership.

I'm still not sure whether I'd say the same if we were the losing side in that CL.

okay lets get it out the way, disaster scenario..

West Ham scrape a draw against us on the final day to hand Chelsea the title

We lose to Chelsea in the FA Cup final (on penalties)

We lose to Liverpool in the CL Final. Fowler hat-trick.

Now frankly, apart from the Fowler bit, that is all quite possible.

I think I'll keep telling myself this is what will happen so anything that doesnt turn out that way becomes a huge bonus

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Coldberg:

c) I die in a horrible accident which involves hours of agony. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

d) watch a gang of men rape my mother then turn on me

[/too far]

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ACou2000:

what if Liverpool win the CL and Chelsea nick the league... I dont mean to be too pessimistic, but I really do keep thinking these are highly likely scenarios, and it scares me senseless :/ </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Just stop thinking, mate. Should solve the problem.

Believe.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ACou2000:

That we'd end up trophyless.

Hence my concerns. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

he's talking ****, stop fretting icon_smile.gif

The way we messed up against Portsmouth (and the following fixtures) makes me believe we actually have a bigger chance of winning the CL than the league.

Milan or doable and in the final we can always end up with a fluke win ala Liverpool away this season icon_biggrin.gif

I think United will end up with one trophy - the premiership - and I'll be really happy with that, though I'd rather not the Scousers win the CL.

Even if the latter was true, United would still have had a better season that Liverpool, as we know they'd swap a CL for the league title any day.

The utter horror of Liverpool making it 6 times against us would wipe away any feeling of joy from whatever we might have done in the previous couple of weeks. Double or no double losing to the scouse in Athens would be a bad as it gets and has to be avoided at ALL costs.

Under almost any circumstances I’d take winning the premiership over the champions league…but not if we’re getting beaten by them

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Red_Comet:

I still would not prefer to meet liverpool in the final, my heart won't be able to take it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Imagine the feeling if we stuffed them in the final though. Is the potential glory not worth the risk of failure?

Look, if Chelsea beat us in the final we'd get over it eventually, if the vermin did we wouldn't, ever.

Not a Premiership/FA Cup double would take that feeling away, you thought FIVE TIMES was bad, imagine SIX TIMES against the mancs.

NO

From bbc website

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Ronaldo pens new Man Utd contract

Cristiano Ronaldo has signed a new five-year contract with Premiership leaders Manchester United.

The 22-year-old Portuguese winger has ended speculation over his future after being linked with a move to Spanish giants Real Madrid and Barcelona.

"I am delighted. I spoke with Sir Alex Ferguson about my future and everyone knew that I wanted to stay," he said.

"I am very happy at the club and I want to win trophies and hopefully we will do that this season."

United boss Ferguson added: "It is fantastic news, it emphasises the point that Cristiano is happy here and that he is at the right club.

"He has a great relationship with the team, staff and the fans and he will go on to be one of Manchester United's great players."

Ronaldo has been in scintillating form for United this season as they aim to win the treble of the Champions League, the Premiership and the FA Cup.

He is also the favourite to win the PFA Player of the Year award.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It'll be like having a new signing next season.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BBB:

Look, if Chelsea beat us in the final we'd get over it eventually, if the vermin did we wouldn't, ever.

Not a Premiership/FA Cup double would take that feeling away, you thought FIVE TIMES was bad, imagine SIX TIMES against the mancs.

NO </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

What Mart said.

Oooooh big news re. Cristiano Ronaldo. Wp Fergie.

Not sure if you guys read the Telegraph, but Alan Smith is predicting a Milan - Chelsea final. He says the experience of Milan and your injuries at the back will lose it for you.

Personally I disagree: Maldini has shot his bolt, Pirlo has been inconsistent this season...they are not a very settled side. They had a great chance of beating Bayern because Bayern have been poor this season too. This tie is Man United's to lose, imo.

I’d feel a little more confident if we had the home leg 2nd, although that’s probably just because of the Roma game. Previous indications would point towards it not being much of an advantage as we’ve lost with the home leg 2nd plenty of times – Monaco, Dortmund, Porto, Real etc etc.

We went out so limply to them last time we played. Really hope we have a proper go at them in the 1st leg, but I can see Fergie reverting to European type.

Archived