The Manchester United thread 2006/2007 - featuring BBB leaving early

foobR

Jesus, is that all you fall back on? If someone goes overboard and says that someone is 'awesome' when he clearly is nowhere near it, I think it deserves a response.

Didn't see United winning either, then Gattuso left the field and the midfield was overrun. I can't remember Gilardino getting the ball once come to think of it.

• Replies 51.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by 14AlanSmithifb:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by RedBlood:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by 14AlanSmithifb:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by RedBlood:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BBB:

anyone else going to everton undercover? icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Weighing up whether to get a ticket or wathc it in the pub, save myself a load of aggro and watch FC afterwards.

Will probably just end up watching it pub. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>you going FC?

If so will see you there </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Probably , only in notlob so its only a quick trip to Gigg Lane, been a couple of times this season (when united are away or play on sunday) think last one I went to was against Bacup. Should be the next best thing than going to Goodison icon14.gif. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Will be good with Everton in pubs before then FCs celebrations of title after icon_smile.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's what I was thinking icon14.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I with a couple of OTFers should be in pack horse before game if you want to buy me a drink icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20:

Darren Fletcher is AWESOME icon_cool.gif

vindication is pretty fb </div></BLOCKQUOTE>His "pass" at the start of the game put me off him all night

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BBB:

anyone else going to everton undercover? icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Weighing up whether to get a ticket or wathc it in the pub, save myself a load of aggro and watch FC afterwards.

Will probably just end up watching it pub. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>you going FC?

If so will see you there </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Probably , only in notlob so its only a quick trip to Gigg Lane, been a couple of times this season (when united are away or play on sunday) think last one I went to was against Bacup. Should be the next best thing than going to Goodison icon14.gif. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Will be good with Everton in pubs before then FCs celebrations of title after icon_smile.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's what I was thinking icon14.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I with a couple of OTFers should be in pack horse before game if you want to buy me a drink icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not sure which pub the pack horse is but I will be there with a couple of mates from uni (just look for someone who looks like a cross between jesus & a slim Bill Bailey icon_biggrin.gif ) I will be the one in the Factory Records T-shirt icon_cool.gif with him and if you let us know sure I'll be you a pint icon14.gif.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20:

vindication is pretty fb </div></BLOCKQUOTE>His "pass" at the start of the game put me off him all night </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, god forbid that a mostly superb performance for the majority of the 90 minutes should make up for one awful pass icon14.gif

vindication is pretty fb </div></BLOCKQUOTE>His "pass" at the start of the game put me off him all night </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

says a lot more about you tbh mate :/

christ, kenny's in here as well. thought this would be sanctuary from his incessant mongery.

christ, kenny's in here as well. thought this would be sanctuary from his incessant mongery. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nah nothing can top the **** you were coming out with at lunch time today.

christ, kenny's in here as well. thought this would be sanctuary from his incessant mongery. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nah nothing can top the **** you were coming out with at lunch time today.

LMAO @ Brown in his interview (replying to Fletcher that he is the worst in training)

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Honest assessment of yourself as a trainer

I’d say… hard working...

(Ryan Giggs walks past) Giggsy! An honest assessment of me as a trainer...

RG: (Laughs) On this morning's session?!

WB: I think I'll stick with hard working.

RG: (Laughs and walks away) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Weird match. Epic to watch but I still can't bring myself to care enough since we're clearly not going to do it. Plus, losing to Milan > losing to Chavski or the Scouse.

MOTM: Either Rooney or Fletch. The Mighty Fletch was everywhere, but Wazza provided when it mattered. "'Y'see, the thing is, Rooney just doesn't score enough goals, and he doesn't produce on the big stage" [/general media ********]

AFFG 1: Fergie

AFFG 2: Fergie, ish.

First goal, I think there's a tactical error. While fast, Gilardino is always going to be a greater physical threat than Kaka, who is marked by the slower, more physical of the two centre-halves - Heinze - for the goal.

Not to take away from the player or the goal, but I reckon Wesley would have caused him more trouble with his pace.

2nd goal, not a lot you can go to here, considering the goal comes from our first choice left back barrelling into our second choice left back. Possibluy the gaffer could have set the defence up differently, but ultimately this goal was the clinical evidence of how thin our squad is atm.

Oh, and looks like I'll be up for the Everton game, maybe FCU afterwards if things go well...

anyway, tl;dr;fo time:

VDS - didn't have much to do at all really, thinking about it. no chance with the goals, couple of comfy saves from speculative efforts. looked to be a bit more vocal and to take more responsibility behind that defence i thought as well.

JOS - had a good game really, pretty much had Seedorf under control and got forward well. loved the slow motion stepover as well :*)

Paddy - not his finest hour. bit unlucky to get booked perhaps, but had a kamikaze moment for Kaka's second and looked rusty with his passing - him and Ronnie didn't really click as they have in the past. impressed with how he kept going though considering how touch and go he was to play.

Wes - pretty good really. dominant in the air, generally dealt well with Kaka when one on one with him. partnership with GBH looked sound for the most part.

Gaby - motm contender definitely, easily his most convincing performance at centre-back for us. need to see the goals again to judge whether he was at fault but my instincts were there was little he could do for the first and he basically got taken out by Paddy for the second. made some excellent tackles second half, none better than one on Kaka which brought to mind that famous tackle by Bobby Moore on Pele in the 1970 World Cup - backed off as Kaka ran at him and tried to get him to commit, kept his eye on the ball and then decisively won it, leaving Kaka sprawling in a heap as he then brought it out of defence. ARGENTINA icon_cool.gif

Fletch - just gonna c&p what i put on the RN forum actually - "I've always defended him, fought his corner, made a point of saying how he steps up in important games and yet again he's done so. didn't think he was poor first half like someone said earlier in the thread, he worked hard defensively, didn't give the Milan midfield any time on the ball and (one wayward one into the stands early on aside) his passing was crisp and intelligent. when the game was there to be taken by the scruff of the neck second half, he did so - his workrate was phenomenal and his passing top quality. really unlucky to be denied a goal by a top save from Dida as well. pick of a largely excellent bunch tonight, surely must have convinced everyone over these past few games that he more than deserves to be a part of this squad."

Carrick - impressive again, rarely wasted a pass and his composure is fantastic. maybe a slight question mark over him for the first Milan goal, thought he didn't track Kaka but i'd have to see it again.

Scholesy - had a quiet first half, wasted possession a few times as the midfield became congested and struggled to really get into the game. infinitely better second half, got into much better positions in the final third and that pass for Rooney's first was truly special. please please please please don't get booked next week icon_frown.gif

Giggsy - not quite as bad as saturday, to damn him with faint praise. took too long on the ball far too often, was very slow to react to passes into him and this obsession with backheels and flicks where a simple pass will do is infuriating. better distribution though at least, and went a long way to redeeming himself with the run and assist for the winner.

Ronnie - did seem to be a bit too keen to do everything himself at times, especially early on (settled down a bit as the game went on) - few too many runs down blind alleys or taking on one defender too many etc. still some outstanding moments of individual skill and some excellent runs, and worked as hard as i've ever seen him second half. fancy him to come into his own in milan, just don't get booked ffs icon_frown.gif

Wazza - brilliant. only criticism would be a lack of strength on the ball at times when he needed to hold it up, but with the negative out of the way, what about the positives - his workrate, constant running in both a defensive and attacking context, the positions he took up, he caused Nesta/Maldini/Bonera all sorts of problems. two brilliant finishes as well - the more i see the second one, the better it gets (yes Dida's positioning isn't perfect but he's fairly understandably caught off guard by a brilliant early strike). coming of age in europe now it seems.

think Fergie got the team right at the start - know this perhaps wasn't the popular view, but Smithy's played a lot of football lately after very little for over a year, he was clearly knackered on saturday and with there being a need to protect a makeshift defence, it made sense to bench him i think. in hindsight it's worked out well too, Everton seems like very much an Alan Smith type of game and he should be nice and fresh - and he's the sort of player who can drag that bit more out of his teammates with his hunger and enthusiasm.

have seen suggestions that we dropped too deep after taking the lead and let Milan dominate proceedings, mainly from neutrals but also from Taz - didn't see it like that at all. we created more chances than them in the first half, and iirc both their goals came on the counter (the second certainly did). they certainly had several prolonged periods of possession in midfield but didn't do a whole lot with it really. very easy to say we only got on top second half because Maldini and Gattuso went off but i think that's unfair on us, we increased the tempo and took hold of the game and i don't think their missing personnel influenced that a whole lot.

Milan definitely tired noticeably late on though which is promising - after Rooney's winner i was a bit annoyed everyone was baying for the ref to blow the whistle tbh, the momentum was all ours, they'd not had a sniff in a long time and i'd have been more than happy to see him play loads more added time as there was only one team who was going to get any more goals. maybe i'm a bit greedy.

Kaka - what a player. absolute delight to watch - everything seems so ridiculously easy for him. the way he just glides past players with seemingly minimal effort is awesome, and such a composed finisher. has that natural ability to always be able to find space and always looks to have all the time in the world when on the ball - telltale signs of a player of the highest quality. basically the ideal Scholesy replacement, make it so uncle malc

thought the atmosphere was pretty ace tonight - rocking at the start, perhaps took a dip after Kaka made his mark but cranked back up for the second half and immense as we searched for the winner. need to nip this 'who are yer' b*llocks in the bud pronto though, leave that to Arsenal and Birmingham please. also had this racist twat behind me who thought nothing of calling Dida a monkey and making monkey noises at him, as well as calling Seedorf 'that black ****'. will fling an email the club's way about that methinks, took no notice of a couple of us calling him up on it. was sat with a bunch of his mates who were all whingeing old bastards who spent more time shouting 'SIIIIIIDAAAAAAAAAAHN' than actually supporting the team, quite brilliant justice that they left before the goal really.

please god can i win the lotto tomorrow so i can go to milan. pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeease.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Reports are coming in to Fight For United that a group of United fans have staged an attack on what is thought to be Malcolm Glazer son's at the Lowry Hotel in Salford.

One witness says that, as a silver Audi pulled up outside reception just after 11.45pm, a group of people came out of nowhere shouting obscenities, and hurling missiles at one of the male passengers as he alighted from the vehicle, which is thought to be one of the Glazer son's.

It is not known at this time if any persons were injured in the attack or to the extent of the incident at the Lowry Hotel. Fight for United have contacted the Lowry Hotel for information on this incident, however, the hotel are in denial that the Glazers are guests of the hotel or have indeed been residing at the Lowry hotel this week.

Fight For United await further reports and information regarding this incident. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

how tragic icon_frown.gif

What a match. Milan's goals could have been prevented with better defending, but I'm not going to focus on that, as what else do you expect from players who hardly ever play there and aren't first choice?

Really pleased with the pace and intensity of the second half, and the fact we kept trying to find openings rather than lumping it foward. Rooney's stamina is immense. Nesta had been blocking brilliantly all night but he got nowhere near him for the winner. To be able to make such a run and get so much power in the shot in the 91st minute speaks volumes about his fitness.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Brunob:

sorry for going off topic, but i just bought a man u jersey the other day, do you guys think they will keep the same jersey next season? i hope so its the best looking jersey i have seen in awhile. thanks </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't think any professional sports team keeps the jersey the same every year. Why do that when you can get the diehards buying your new:

Home.

Away.

3rd.

Champions League.

Retro.

jerseys every year, at the low low price of £39.99 each.

fake edit - I just looked up their site, they shockingly, are not on the retro bandwagon. Missing out there glazer.

Have to say, while i agree with the majority of Nick's post, i feel we can't underestimate the contribution Gattuso going off made to the win. I felt it was only once he had gone off that we really got a grip on the midfield and started to play through them. As a result, i also felt he was a little generous in praise for the midfield. Fletcher i'd agree had an excellent game, because as well as driving us forward in the second half, he also performed his defensive duties in the first. However Carrick ( who i felt was at least partly at fault for the first goal, when not tracking Kaka) and Scholes never really got into it until Gattuso had gone off, when they really needed to boss it earlier.

How was there only 2 minutes of added time? Ronaldo and Nesta were lying down the ditch for that long, then there was the Gattusso rolling around.

Also don't believe people are saying Milan were the better team before Rino went off. Milan were getting ripped apart. Loved Ronaldo tearing Gattuso apart in the first half leaving him crouched over gasping for air. Such a difference this team, compared to the last half decade. You actually feel like they're going to come back and dominate games, as opposed to occasionally nicking a winner while looking *****.

Agree with Mark

With Fletcher making up a 3-man central midfield, it should have led to more United dominance and possession in midfield, but in truth we never looked totally on top of Pirlo and Gattuso until the latter went off.

There were good moments before, the difference after Gattuso went off was clear. I'm talking only about central midfield, not the wings where Ronaldo looked dangerous throughout, though not at his best.

Hi guys. Can i just point you in the direction of this, which is from an e-mail i've received in work ( i work at the Christie hospital in manchester for anyone who doesn't know, which is a cancer hospital)

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> TO ALL STAFF

Manchester United is picking four local charities to actively support for the next three years.

Charities have to make submissions and the public is then asked for vote on the Man United website for which charity they think the club should support.

The charities that receive the top number of votes then go to the last stage which is a presentation to the charity board.

Our charity is on the list and it would be fantastic for the hospital if we were chosen.

Can you therefore all please click on the link below and vote for us. You can only make one vote but please do it before this Friday as the deadline is 27th April.

To all those blues fanatics who are troubled about going on the Man United website, just take a deep breath and remember this is for our patients. You will have total anonymity !

If you can forward the link to friends and family to do the same we would be very grateful.

You can vote by clicking at the bottom of the following link where it reads: 'Please vote online for your preferred national and local charities. <https://www.surveymonkey.com/s.asp?u=76763727381> ' You will need to select both a preferred national charity (your choice) and local one (Christie's) .

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Obviously if anyone has strong feelings about any of the other charities, they all do good work and would be deserving. But if any of you wouldn't mind voting for the Christie, it would be much appreciated. They do fantastic work generally, but the work with children and young adults is particularly good.

yeh i was so surprised with kakas turn of pace, absolutely rapid.

Anyone worried about Fletchers future if we sign hargs, hargs seems to be really the same all energy performances as fletcher has been given us at a high level recently. really wouldnt want to waste £20mill on hargs as we have our own little terrier in dazzle.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Anonymous User:

The way I see it, the second best ending to this season's CL (United winning it would be first, ofc) would be Liverpool going through and meeting Milan in the final. And then getting beat 5-0. That'll teach 'em to think a few times before throwing the figure '5' about! icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oh yes. *Licks lips*

Archived