The Manchester United thread 2006/2007 - featuring BBB leaving early

foobR

Its true, our progress in the CL has been much better than expected, well in comparison to how even if we weren't top right now I'd have expected us to run Chelsea even closer this year and a run to the final of one of the domestic cups is always possible.

Not that our European form prior to Roma away was brilliant or anything as far as performances went but since beating Lille and having a succession of pressured games thrust upon us with Roma and Milan we've made a real impression which I'm pleased about.

• Replies 51.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hate the thought of us losing the title to the rent boys

I hate the thought of us losing the CL Final (if we get there) to Liverpool or Chelsea

The Cup Final - meh, will be a bonus, but if point 1 happens then I'll cry if we lose the cup final too

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Saha:

Absolutely about it being a success already, but i'd be CRUSHED if we didn't win the premiership now. even if we did win the cups. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think we all would but us not getting the title won't prompt any "inevitable decline" talk which I'm happy about really.

We can be optimistic about the progress the team and certain players have made individually this season and although the squad still needs strengthened in certain areas we have real forward momentum again and I think we're definitely on par with Chelsea if not ahead of them anyway now and we've stepped ahead of Liverpool/Arsenal again, and I'd rather them be playing catch-up than us.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by No Longer Bling:

lads is there anywhere still offering odds on us winning nothing? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

anyone know? im not on a mongy pessimistic drive btw, just interested.

its been a superb season. to be competing like we have is so beyond my wildest dreams and to play the type of football we have, be involved in some of the games/scorelines we have etc. will never forget this season, even if we win nothing.

would be utterly devestated if we did go on to win nothing tho, like waking up to find out im jearm. would be 'happy' with any of the big two and nothing else but the league will always be mu number one and it would really suck not to take that.

season has been quality although it will be soul destroying if we dont win anything now. our football deserves it.

what i find more incredible is the fact that for the last 4/5 weeks we have been down to the bare bones pretty much. i mean, we beat ac milan with a completely 2nd string defence ffs. against sheff united we only had 2 fit defenders, with fletch and richardson as makeshift fullbacks.

remember how we were all ridiculing the strength of the squad at the start of the season? you've got to give it to them in getting us this far, whatever happens.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by gonch19:

season has been quality although it will be soul destroying if we dont win anything now. our football deserves it.

what i find more incredible is the fact that for the last 4/5 weeks we have been down to the bare bones pretty much. i mean, we beat ac milan with a completely 2nd string defence ffs. against sheff united we only had 2 fit defenders, with fletch and richardson as makeshift fullbacks.

remember how we were all ridiculing the strength of the squad at the start of the season? you've got to give it to them in getting us this far, whatever happens. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Pretty much spot on, of course we have been lucky with no lasting injuries in key areas (midfield) so we haven't had to play O'shea and Giggs in the middle like the latter part of last season but the second string guys (Fletcher, Brown, Heinze/Evra, O'shea, Park, Smith,Ole,*) have all stepped it up when we needed them to and credit has to be given to them.

As for this season we need to win the league it's as simple as that we have been the best footballing side of the season by quite a distance and we need to win the title because we deserve it. Champions League or F.A. Cup Final are all secondary to the title for me (although they would be nice to have of course icon_biggrin.gif ).

(* - Note the Key exception from the list is homo hair himself as he has do nothing and I mean nothing to sugest he can or wants to step his game up to help the team.)

Yeah, obviously any of us would have taken this at the start of the season (first 80 odd pages of this thread are pure GOLD in that respect), and to get where we are is just a fantastic achievement. I hope to god we clinch the league though, because (a) I can't see us scaling these heights so very consistently again and (b) the other major title contenders are likely to be able to strengthen more significantly than we will. Basically, if we don't win it, I think it'll hurt more than 02, 98 or 95 - only 92 would have been worse.

And I'm getting SO SO SO SO worried about the derby. Our traditional European hangover + annoyingly early Saturday kick off + citeh's cup final = potential disaster... :/

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Gregg Carter:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Razor Eddie:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by davidbowie:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Brunob:

sorry for going off topic, but i just bought a man u jersey the other day, do you guys think they will keep the same jersey next season? i hope so its the best looking jersey i have seen in awhile. thanks </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't think any professional sports team keeps the jersey the same every year. Why do that when you can get the diehards buying your new:

Home.

Away.

3rd.

Champions League.

Retro.

jerseys every year, at the low low price of £39.99 each.

fake edit - I just looked up their site, they shockingly, are not on the retro bandwagon. Missing out there glazer. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

This year's shirt is a retro design, tbf.

Celebrating 50 years Of Busby Babes-ness. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

shhh eddie, he's trying to troll. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

how exactly am I trolling?

If I'm stood in Athens at 11pm on the 23rd watching Gary Neville lifting the trophy I'm not sure I'll really care what happened in the two weeks before...though it'll be bloody painful getting to that position if we've lost both the league and the cup.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

Butt backs Reds to dominate again

Ex-Red Nicky Butt is backing United to win back-to-back titles providing they can nudge themselves over the finishing line ahead of Chelsea this season.

The Newcastle midfielder claimed six Championship winners' medals during his Old Trafford career and he went some way to aiding United's current title bid after he and his Toon Army team-mates held Jose Mourinho's men to a goalless draw last weekend.

Butt believes United, with a current three-point advantage at the Premiership's summit, would be popular winners among neutrals and he's backing his former team to stand firm for the remainder of the campaign.

"I really hope they win it and I genuinely think they will," he insisted. "And I'm sure they will get it again next season if they win this time.

"United have been playing very attractive football this year. All the players are comfortable on the ball and they have individuals who can change the course of a game in a splitsecond. It's easier on the eye but you can't take anything away from Chelsea.

"The fact that it seems the public generally want United to pip Chelsea to the title this season is a massive backhanded compliment to Chelsea.

"If everyone hates you and no one wants you to win then you are obviously doing something right. It just goes with the territory. That's what we had when I was at Old Trafford."

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nicky Butt , Leg-end icon_cool.gif.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20:

dropping points in the derby and that ultimately costing us does seem to have a horrible air of inevitability about it. they'd probably award themselves a trophy for it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Fourth star, surely?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Gregg Carter:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">fake edit - I just looked up their site, they shockingly, are not on the retro bandwagon. Missing out there glazer. </div></BLOCKQUOTE> </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

And that's trolling how? I know alot of teams that are selling "retro" shirts.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by davidbowie:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Brunob:

sorry for going off topic, but i just bought a man u jersey the other day, do you guys think they will keep the same jersey next season? i hope so its the best looking jersey i have seen in awhile. thanks </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't think any professional sports team keeps the jersey the same every year. Why do that when you can get the diehards buying your new:

Home.

Away.

3rd.

Champions League.

Retro.

jerseys every year, at the low low price of £39.99 each.

fake edit - I just looked up their site, they shockingly, are not on the retro bandwagon. Missing out there glazer. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Except for these special edition ***** like the current one we have which cant be put out every season you have to keep each shirt for a minimum of two seasons.

And shirt prices havent seen £40 a long long time.

To Brunob. Just because the club will change their shirts next season doesnt mean you have to buy a new one or stop wearing the one you just bought. I enjoyed wearing our 02/03 long after we brought out a new one. If i like a shirt i wear it regardless of whether its up to date or not.

Let's have a shirt discussion \o/

92-94 home >>>>>>>>>>> *

88 home pretty classic too.

My favourite away is the white one we wore in the CWC final but I don't remember it too much apart from that. Our white away at the moment is pretty fb as well.

I had a copy of the blue Rumbelow's cup final shirt on my birthday cake icon_cool.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by James07?:

The CWC shirt was white with red trim wasn't it? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yep. Like I said I can't remember whether it was actually used in the season because we weren't on tele that much and I was far too young to go to away trips. Had the badge in the middle, which I'm generally against, but other than that was awesome.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by alilaw:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by James07?:

The CWC shirt was white with red trim wasn't it? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yep. Like I said I can't remember whether it was actually used in the season because we weren't on tele that much and I was far too young to go to away trips. Had the badge in the middle, which I'm generally against, but other than that was awesome. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It was a one off for that Cup Final

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Coldberg:

I am not going tonight now, I got a better offer.

Won't even know the score until I get home some time tomorrow morning icon14.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nick, if you get another lame excuse from Martin we might be well on the way to our 1st wall wedding. I'll have to buy a hat.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Coldberg:

Won't even know the score until I get home some time tomorrow morning icon14.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nick, if you get another lame excuse from Martin we might be well on the way to our 1st wall wedding. I'll have to buy a hat. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

icon_biggrin.gif

Nick, if you get another lame excuse from Martin we might be well on the way to our 1st wall wedding. I'll have to buy a hat. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You mean you would actually turn up to the wall again?

Poor litle Ryan has been crying his heart out the last month or so icon_frown.gif

The thought that something better coming up involving Martin is frankly preposterous.

got that one. shame it's in size small boys icon_frown.gif

yellow and gold ifb, the classic selhurst park black one is awesome. liked the white away one with the circular crest from 96/97ish. the CWC shirt was immense too.

jonny's better offer blatantly involves some woman on world of warcraft offering him sex in exchange for gold btw.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20:

also love the way they go on about the carling cup thing as if it's some new policy that will benefit us. usually the opposition club veto reductions anyway, and when they don't we've had much more than a 25% discount. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

added to the fact that this year many could opt not to buy the cup tickets.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by No Longer Bling:

what was the kit with all the names of ex players on? pimp to the max that. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

that was the 96/97 away one (blue & white stripes), had that when I was at school and some bastard nicked it icon_mad.gif.

was there also a home kit with the stadium in the background? whens that from? im sh*t at remembering stuff icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

94-96 home shirt , think I may still have mine around here somewhere.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by 14AlanSmithifb:

was there also a home kit with the stadium in the background? whens that from? im sh*t at remembering stuff icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

94-96 home shirt , think I may still have mine around here somewhere. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>that is my favorite ever shirt

Archived