The Manchester United thread 2006/2007 - featuring BBB leaving early

foobR

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by alilaw:

I wonder what SMG's position on Ruud is... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

iirc she's never been a fan of lazy 2 yard tap in merchants?

• Replies 51.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Rcjuk:

fo mark </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The alternative answer to ali's question was "sidesaddle", but i thought that was too obvious even for me.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20:

he's not had that bad a season. there was a bit of an obvious carry-over from the ridiculous way he was rushed back for the world cup, a couple of dips in form which every striker goes through and he's been overshadowed to an extent by Ronnie and other players. what's really important here for me is that it's how young players react to setbacks and periods of below-par form that is crucial, and he's come storming back in the last month or so with brilliant performances in all competitions, right when we've needed him to do so.

23 goals so far with a bagload of assists is a career season in pure statistical terms too, and while i appreciate stats don't tell the full picture, i certainly feel that some of the bad press he's had this season has been way over the top. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'd agree with virtually all that apart from the bit in bold. I'd give you some brilliant moments certainly, but i'm struggling to think of one performance i'd rate as brilliant. I obviously won't have seen as many games as you, but even going off what others have said for the ones i've missed i don't recall one that you could call that level. Nearest contenders would be Milan second half, and maybe watford in the semi, both good certainly, but brilliant?

I also think you missed that he's at least partly suffering by his own high standards he's set in previous seasons for us, so the criticism is because he's not playing like the best player in the country every week, rather than that he's actually been rubbish.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Saha:

Important probably the more apt word there. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

But even then, wouldn't you say more important moments or goals, rather than whole performances.

I'd also say on Nick's stats thing, while i agree that his goal and assist levels are now looking like a very good season, some proportion of that has to be down to the fact of the way we're playing overall this year. he's certainly had and missed far more chances than he has in previous years, as well as scoring more.

Again, i want to stress this isn't real criticism, it's more about his own standards that he's not quite living up to, which are higher than the vast majority of players anyway. I'm actually finding the prospect of next season mouthwatering. If he can rediscover his true form after a good pre-season, and Ronnie can maintain his, we're going to look frighteningly good going forward.

Basically what Mark said about Rooney. He's had a pretty good season all told.

Its just that his performances in recent seasons (especially last season) were so unbelievably awesome that he hasn't been as good this season. His quality has still lead to some amazing moments this season (I agree with mark again here, its rare hes been on top for an entire match but some of his goals have been of the highest quality) and his tally in April couldn't have came at a better time.

Wayne was excellent against Bolton (admittedly overshadowed by Ronnie again), Watford in the cup, Milan last week (thought he was very good all game), did well in Rome in the circumstances. perhaps not virtuoso performances but certainly very good, and he's coming up with important goals and assists when we really need them, which i think is all we can really ask given the current situation (end of season, games every few days, team perhaps not firing as it was earlier on).

and yeah, the point about the standards he's set in previous seasons is very true. was always going to be a point where he dipped below that for a while.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Eagles delight at dream debut

Goodison Park goalscorer Chris Eagles admits scoring on his Premiership debut was "a dream come true".

With the Reds leading 3-2 against Everton at Goodison Park, the 21-year-old came on as an 86th minute substitute and sealed the win with a goal in the third minute of injury time - at the same time becoming the 20th different United player to score this season.

"I didn't know I was coming on," Eagles told MUTV afterwards. "Ole [Gunnar Solskjaer] went down with 10 minutes to go and the gaffer said, 'Get ready!'. I can't describe what it feels like to win and to score here.

"Every performance for Manchester United, whether it's in the reserves or the first-team, you should always take pride in wearing the shirt. I just go out there to do the basics and want to help the team get a result."

Eagles, a product of the junior Academy programme, has been at United since the age of 13 and, after an initial stumble, showed tremendous composure to curl the ball around Toffees goalkeeper Iain Turner.

"To be honest, I was put through on my left foot and I was going to shoot," Eagles said. "But then my legs started slipping all over the place so I chopped it back onto my right foot. I didn't look at the goal, I just hit it and looked up to see it go around the goalkeeper.

"Scoring in front of the Stretford End would be the ultimate dream, but to do it here, at a ground like this where there is such a big rivalry, is great.

"Just to travel with the first team is wonderful, but to get on today and score is something I've wanted to do ever since I moved up from London at 13." </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

icon_cool.gif

must still be absolutely buzzing off that.

Also an interesting point that I realized yesterday.

O'Shea has scored as many league goals this season as Shevchenko.

O'Shea has had 14 starts and 15 substitute appearances. Shevchenko has had 22 starts and 8 substitute appearances.

icon_biggrin.gif

I think the thing i've noticed most about him this season has been that his first touch has been consistently heavier than i ever remember it, and it's probably not only one of his biggest but also his most important asset. So even in games where he's done his good things, there's been far more moments where he's lost control, and far less where a sublime first touch has led to one of his pieces of magic.

everton summed up his season for me. Some good chances spoiled by heavy touches, especially when he should have been clean through, but still kept composure and kept trying to play when it mattered. I wonder if he was trying too hard to impress at his old club, and if that's generally been his problem, that he's been trying too hard to rediscover his form, rather than almost letting it happen?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by theis:

Also an interesting point that I realized yesterday.

O'Shea has scored as many league goals this season as Shevchenko.

O'Shea has had 14 starts and 15 substitute appearances. Shevchenko has had 22 starts and 8 substitute appearances.

icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

maybe they'll pay £30m for him icon14.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mark g:

I think the thing i've noticed most about him this season has been that his first touch has been consistently heavier than i ever remember it, and it's probably not only one of his biggest but also his most important asset. So even in games where he's done his good things, there's been far more moments where he's lost control, and far less where a sublime first touch has led to one of his pieces of magic. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

come and post that in the united data thread, i'm sick of people banging on about Rooney's first touch being faultless and needing to be rated as 20 icon_frown.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mark g:

I think the thing i've noticed most about him this season has been that his first touch has been consistently heavier than i ever remember it, and it's probably not only one of his biggest but also his most important asset. So even in games where he's done his good things, there's been far more moments where he's lost control, and far less where a sublime first touch has led to one of his pieces of magic. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

come and post that in the united data thread, i'm sick of people banging on about Rooney's first touch being faultless and needing to be rated as 20 icon_frown.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Tricky one that, because on form i'd have it as one of his best attributes, and say it's only this season where it's been found wanting.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Saha:

Nick, mate, any chance you can accidentally add van Nistelrooy to the team for 08? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

i'll try and sneak him in there. maybe call him nan Vistelrooy or something.

Nick, mate, any chance you can accidentally add van Nistelrooy to the team for 08? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

i'll try and sneak him in there. maybe call him nan Vistelrooy or something. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

rather than shortening it to 'nan, use the full version, granny?

i'll try and sneak him in there. maybe call him nan Vistelrooy or something. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

rather than shortening it to 'nan, use the full version, granny? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

he has similar attributes namely acceleration and work rate to my nan iirc

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by alilaw:

Mika's too busy crying over Hendry to come steaming into this one I think :*( </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

he likes his heroes past it, doesn't he? Ruud, Hendry, Mika Hakkinen? Am i right in thinking he wants Boycott back in the england cricket team as well?

and i'm going to quite happily bite - Ruud's goal return for Madrid suggests he's anything other than past it icon_cool.gif

and Mika is essentially retired, so you can't call him past it, unless you want to call lots of other people's heroes past it.

Hendry is past it ofc *runs*

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ajw2255:

How about some news about a different former OT great icon_wink.gif

Linkage </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

He stopped playing for them a while ago tbh.

Nantes icon_frown.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Master Blasta:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by James07?:

The definitely going to be joining Manchester United, no doubt about it, cos the papers say so list

Mikel Arteta - Everton (Guardian)

Dimitar Berbatov - Spurs (Guardian, Sunday Mirror)

Jermain Defoe - Spurs (Guardian)

Owen Hargreaves - Bayern Munich (Times)

Klaas Jan Huntelaar - Ajax (Guardian)

Running Total: 5

Predicted Final Total

Irish - 170

James07? - 112

bling - 102

pjburrage 99

WSR - 95

thei 92

alilaw - 89

Nezell - 87

14AlanSmithifb 85

T!mbo - 80

BBB - 79

gonch19 - 78

Bagpuss 77

Pickles - 74

julesMUFC - 71

Nick OGS20 - 68

Maverick 64

Ryno - 62

Gregg Carter 59

Jimlad - 56

ericcantona7 - 55

SLO_Fila 43

Master Blasta - 32

EmmYouEffSee - 29

RedBlood - 26

qwerty2k - 17

? - 15

</div></BLOCKQUOTE> </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

haha, just seen this from the Mirror:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">MANCHESTER City legend Mike Summerbee has come up with a novel way of stopping Manchester United next weekend.

City must score to avoid going down in history as the team with fewest top-flight goals at home in a season and Summerbee says locking United in their dressing-room until kick-off might help. He explained: "I don't think we should allow visiting teams to warm up on the pitch. Keep them in the dressingroom until just before kick-off.

Even some of the best players would bottle it having to run out in front of 40-odd thousand." </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

he's serious isn't he? icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">MANCHESTER City legend Mike Summerbee has come up with a novel way of stopping Manchester United next weekend.

City must score to avoid going down in history as the team with fewest top-flight goals at home in a season and Summerbee says locking United in their dressing-room until kick-off might help. He explained: "I don't think we should allow visiting teams to warm up on the pitch. Keep them in the dressingroom until just before kick-off.

Even some of the best players would bottle it having to run out in front of 40-odd thousand." </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

he's serious isn't he? icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Wouldn't surprise me if he was serious. Can't fecking stand that bloke.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by 14AlanSmithifb:

Don't know if any of you guys have heard but apprently theres going to be no alcohol on sale in Milan from 7 a.m until after the game this wednesday, due to public order offences or something. icon13.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Was a similar rumour for Roma, too. It was balls.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by 14AlanSmithifb:

Don't know if any of you guys have heard but apprently theres going to be no alcohol on sale in Milan from 7 a.m until after the game this wednesday, due to public order offences or something. icon13.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The Morroccans will flog you crates out of the back of their vans. Saves paying €8 for a half pint anyway icon14.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Gregg Carter:

he's serious isn't he? icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Wouldn't surprise me if he was serious. Can't fecking stand that bloke. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

To be fair, he's only one logical step away from succeeding. Just don't unlock the dressing room until after the game.

Although with City's forward line, my money would still be on 0-0.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Pickles:

The Morroccans will flog you crates out of the back of their vans. Saves paying €8 for a half pint anyway icon14.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

My Guinness was only €5 for a pint in Roma. icon_razz.gif

John O'Shea has taken some stick from us fans at times but you look back at his amazing debut season at left back, the fact hes nothing but steady at right back and some of the all important goals hes scored for us. Happy Birthday O'Shea.

Not to mention he looks amazed thats hes playing for Man Utd each and everytime he wears the shirt. You see him do interviews and he just looks so suprised at everything that happens.

Sheasy icon14.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Taz & The Devil:

Not to mention he looks amazed thats hes playing for Man Utd each and everytime he wears the shirt.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

He's not the only one.

Archived