The Manchester United thread 2006/2007 - featuring BBB leaving early

foobR

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by SLO_Fila:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Father Senegal:

oh and I've quoted the wrong post as well icon_biggrin.gif

wp me.

Anyway, you're talking ******** slo fila </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

In which post. Cuz the pool fans were getting all giddy of a place above United a while back. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by SLO_Fila:

Tbf the only reason most of us wanted to qualify today was to beat you in the final. If it was anybody else except Liverpool in the final we wouldn't have cared in the slightest bit and winning it would have been the most welcome bonus possible. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Basically that bit mate icon_smile.gif

• Replies 51.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't care that Milan were reinstated. I don't necessarily agree with the decision, but at the end of the day it doesn't matter.

United got to the semis and failed. Whoever is the opponent you have to prove you are good enough to get to the final and United didn't.

I don't care that Milan were reinstated. I don't necessarily agree with the decision, but at the end of the day it doesn't matter.

United got to the semis and failed. Whoever is the opponent you have to prove you are good enough to get to the final and United didn't.

Basically what Terry said. They maybe were lucky to even get in the competition to start with, but last night they proved they're one of the best sides in Europe.

That defensive display from Nesta et al. was awesome - didn't let Rooney, Giggs or Ronaldo get into the game. And Gattuso icon_eek.gif What a player. Still a horrible little cuunt though.

My mum of all people has been calling our dog (Scholesy) Kaka this morning icon_mad.gif Die woman!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Pickles:

My mum of all people has been calling our dog (Scholesy) Kaka this morning icon_mad.gif Die woman! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jongi:

Was Rio injured? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Considered a risk due to the possibility of aggravating his groin injury. So he was on the bench, although i doubt there are many circumstances in which he would actually have come on.

So, where does this defeat rank in terms of our European exits then? In terms of heartbreak and ability to induce depression?

For me Leverkusen remains the most frustrating one, because on the whole we battered them, had ample oppurtunity to score more than we did, and tbh I really did buy into the 'our year' talk that went on so much. It would have been Real Madrid, in the final, in Glasgow... I really (naively) thought it was meant to be.

Dortmund is another obvious one, although oddly enough I don't remember that much about it. I know we definately should have scored, but just spectacularly failed to.

I wasn't as bothered as some by Porto, simply because I couldn't see us winning it that year anyway, it was too early in the competition to get massively excited about.

And as for yesterday? Well, just given the stage of the competition it hurts obviously, and the fact that it would have been Liverpool in the final, but it is tempered by our league position and upcoming FA Cup final. I'd put it up there, but nowhere near as gutting as 02, when our season just essentially collapsed. Urgh.

(Topic shamelessly stolen from, um, Redcafe :/ )

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by nbrocky:

They obviously have since earnt the right to be in the final and in all fairness totally outclassed Man Utd even with the mighty Pippo up front. Fair play to them, but a bit of a soft one from UEFA (no surprise there then) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Of course they have earnt their place in the final for being one of the better teams in the competition.

I also wonder how the game would have went if Gattuso was booked early on for that proffesional foul on Ronaldo. Would have completely taken away his licience to foul whenever he could. Referee was a bit too soft for my liking.

Anyway I'm just making excuses now. Hopefully Fergie will get the players back on track for the Man City game.

well, any semi final defeat isn't nice, but given the quality of how we played, our initial low expectations in europe and the other stuff we're aiming at over the next couple of weeks it hardly rates compared to the others...if any other team had been waiting in the final it'd have been pretty much the 'best' exit possible.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Rcjuk:

Never thought we'd get that far in europe anyway and we've been totally rubbish away from home so meh. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Have you all agreed to take this stance together, I think Mika and someone else said pretty much the same thing, I don't believe for 1 second you're not bothered

I'm not in the "well we've still got league and cup to play for so it doesn't bother me" camp for reasons i went into yesterday. But it hasn't bothered me as much as some exits because we were simply never in the game. I don't know why it works like that, i'd have thought the awful performance would have added to the dissapointment, but it doesn't seem to have worked that way.

As for the worst exits, Dortmund and Leverkuesen are right up there.

Dortmund because we absolutely battered them all night and missed a hatful of chances. Leverkuesen because they were a decent team but not great, they were really there for the taking, and we never really convinced in either leg of the tie. I'd also say the defeat to Madrid in 2000, when we were holders and Keane scored the own goal.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mark g:

I'm not in the "well we've still got league and cup to play for so it doesn't bother me" camp for reasons i went into yesterday. But it hasn't bothered me as much as some exits because we were simply never in the game. I don't know why it works like that, i'd have thought the awful performance would have added to the dissapointment, but it doesn't seem to have worked that way.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I suppose that's the thing isn't it. The reason why Leverkusen hurt so much is that we were SO close to it, yet fecked it all up. Whereas it was over after 25 minutes yesterday.

I always wondered why Nick was so vitriolic towards Razzler, but I reckon I'm getting the picture now...

Razzler, your role on OTF is to regurgitate clichés as if you’re some magnificent oracle of the people telling us how it is whilst woefully failing to interpret or understand anything that’s aimed in your direction and producing some of the most vomit inducing displays of smug, humourless, clueless idiocy in the history of dull and stupid people armed with keyboard and a baseless opinion.

but I guess you knew that already?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">you've broken down my personalty and psyche and you've figured me out! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

i love how every **** resorts to this ... hit a little nerve did i Nick, Jnr ?

Your biggest 'rivals' are in the CL final and you've had the chance to meet them there and stop them from winning the competition yet again, it just seems strange people are more bothered about going out to the likes of Dortmund and Leverkuesen, each to their own though

I'd be interested in Nick's views on whether these fans who 'aren't bothered' should be getting tickets ahead of those who are gutted icon_wink.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Razzler:

taking defeat in different ways and saying you didnt mind the team you support losing in a massive game in a massive tournament are slightly different for me </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Its more that the team had already surpassed their expectations in the competition so the defeat is easier to take.

If you take England as an antithesis, a group of fans that had decided they'd already won the World Cup and then monged out at a (fairly respectable) Quarter Final loss.

its all about perspective.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Rcjuk:

What are you going on about? icon_biggrin.gif

You're worse than pires, least he actually makes a point. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You're only saying that because Pires has been away for a while.

Razzler's obviously a humourless twat, but I actually wish harm on Pires.

tbh I found the fact that we completely failed to turn up makes it harder to take going out.

personally I just think that had we played to what we're capable off we could have at least given Milan a game by scoring. however most players just appeared to take the evening off which just makes it harder to take.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by theis:

tbh I found the fact that we completely failed to turn up makes it harder to take going out.

personally I just think that had we played to what we're capable off we could have at least given Milan a game by scoring. however most players just appeared to take the evening off which just makes it harder to take. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

whs, apart from scholes and rooney icon_frown.gif

gutted here, but the porto defeat hurts most

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Pickles:

is he actually a Liverpool or not? icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not at all

Yeh, stop them?

It's nailed on that they're winning it on penalties and I'd rather not face the total shame of losing to those twats.

But that's just MY OPINIONS AND FEELINGS.

Other fans will have different views. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well saying you'd rather not take the chance of Liverpool beating you is far more understandable than simply i'm not bothered and we got further than we expected

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Razzler:

is he actually a Liverpool fan or not? icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not at all </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Who do you support then?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Eric Cartman:

Yeh, stop them?

It's nailed on that they're winning it on penalties and I'd rather not face the total shame of losing to those twats.

But that's just MY OPINIONS AND FEELINGS.

Other fans will have different views. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well saying you'd rather not take the chance of Liverpool beating you is far more understandable than simply i'm not bothered and we got further than we expected </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No it isnt. It's equally stupid. "Fear of failure". Should go into that "Do you enjoy supporting your club" thread and say "No" cause it's sounds like you're terrified. Do you take this attitude into your everyday life as well ?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Eric Cartman:

Your biggest 'rivals' are in the CL final and you've had the chance to meet them there and stop them from winning the competition yet again, it just seems strange people are more bothered about going out to the likes of Dortmund and Leverkuesen, each to their own though

I'd be interested in Nick's views on whether these fans who 'aren't bothered' should be getting tickets ahead of those who are gutted icon_wink.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've not said I'm 'not bothered', I'm clearly bothered. But I don't think it's 'strange' to have been more bothered about losing to Leverkusen, a game we could / should have won, when we were off the pace in the league and out the cups. That was fairly heartbreaking, and I'm struggling to see where you're coming from.

Ah, it's random fishing, I see.

Its not the going out that has really bothered me but such a pathetic showing from the lads. Its the performance that is p!ssing me off.

Got to say come the morning it doesnt hurt as much as i thought. Still wont be looking at the sports media until we have played City as usual but still.

Archived