The Manchester United thread 2006/2007 - featuring BBB leaving early

foobR

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Young Jimlad:

Anyway in an attempt ot rehabilitate myself - the moreish crack is a Peep Show quote no? I've only seen a few eps, tis quite good, how much can you get the DVDs for? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not sure how much the DVDs are but think there's a good deal/price on Play.

And having recently found out myself, it can be thoroughly recommended, as entirely fb.

• Replies 51.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well that line in itself, however we got to it, proves my point. Cows = funny as targets or for just being themselves.

...Jesus maybe I am on crack & I'm so far gone I can't remember that I take it...or someone's lacing my food with it or something...right I'm off to bed...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BBB:

http://www.play.com/DVD/DVD/4-/1079900/Peep-Show-Series...Box-Set/Product.html

buy it NOW </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hmm, good price, haven't bought any new DVDs for ages so maybe I deserve to treat myself for getting clean...really off now...cheers for the link Mart.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">"I watched this last night and its the funniest thing Ive ever seen... People who like The Office and Little Brittain will love this!" </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

:/

"Oh, hey! Animal cracker?"

"No, thank you. How's your arm?"

"Suddenly painless."

"You can still play the guitar okay?"

"Oh, not well, but not worse."

"Y'know, I never really thanked you."

"Ooo, yeah, please don't. I don't do thanks. I get all red. Have to bail. It's not pretty."

"Well, then forget that thing. Especially with the part where I kind of owe you my life."

"Oh, look! Monkey! And he has a little hat. And little pants."

"Yeah, I see."

"The monkey's the only cookie animal that gets to wear clothes, you know that? You have the sweetest smile I've ever seen. So, I'm wondering, do the other cookie animals feel sorta ripped? Like, is the hippo going, 'Hey, man, where are my pants? I have my hippo dignity!' And you know the monkey's just, 'I mock you with my monkey pants!' And there's a big coup in the zoo."

"The monkey is French?"

"All monkeys are French. You didn't know that?"

"No."

I like the way Jimlad thinks. 'Cept for the Anelka thing.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by gonch19:

btw can i just point out after saturday how fffffffffffb rio ferdinand is. an absolute lynchpin this season. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

True, but pls drop him Fergie against West Ham. Can't risk him wanting to do his brother a favour.

Man, three days after we won the title and we're discussing the individual merits of humourous animals.

I think a quick YAS YAS YAS YAS YAS GET THE **** IN THERE - CCCCCCHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAMMMMMMMMPPPPPPPIIIIIOOOOOOONNNNNNNNNNEEEESSSSSS

is in order tbh.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">The definitely going to be joining Manchester United, no doubt about it, cos the papers say so list

Mikel Arteta - Everton (Guardian)

Gareth Bale - Southampton (Mirror)

Dimitar Berbatov - Spurs (Guardian, Sunday Mirror)

Jermain Defoe - Spurs (Guardian)

Samuel Eto'o - Barca (Daily Mail)

Owen Hargreaves - Bayern Munich (Times)

Klaas Jan Huntelaar - Ajax (Guardian)

Youssouf Mulumbu - PSG (Youssouf Mulumbu)

Nani - Sporting Lisbon (Guardian)

Michael Owen - Newcastle (Various + BBC)

Franck Ribery - Marseille (Himself via Sky)

Micah Richards - Manchester City (Mirror)

Steve Sidwell - Reading (Mirror)

Fernando Torres - Atletico Madrid (Mirror)

Running Total: 14

Predicted Final Total

Irish – 170

James07? – 112

bling – 102

pjburrage – 99

WSR – 95

theis – 92

alilaw – 89

Nezell – 87

14AlanSmithifb – 85

Hero of the day – 83

vanester – 82

T!mbo – 80

BBB – 79

gonch19 – 78

Bagpuss – 77

Rb – 76

Pickles – 74

julesMUFC – 71

ajw2255 – 70

Nick OGS20 – 68

Maverick – 64

davidbowie – 63

Ryno – 62

ACou2000 – 60

Gregg Carter – 59

Jimlad – 56

ericcantona7 – 55

Matt Cavanagh – 54

mark g – 52

keyser – 50

player_65 – 46

SLO_Fila – 43

Taz Devil – 41

Saha – 39

The_Fish – 37

finneys13 – 36

Master Blasta – 32

EmmYouEffSee – 29

RedBlood – 26

qwerty2k – 17

Razor Eddie – 16

? – 15

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

2 more to the list this morning...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

Sir Alex Ferguson has accused Andriy Shevchenko and Michael Ballack of costing Chelski a third-successive Premiership title and taunted Liverpool with a prediction of 'absolute certainty' that AC Milan will win this month's Champions League final.

After three days of mellow bonhomie following ManYoo's coronation as Premiership champions, the Scot has reverted to antagonising his closest rivals with the type of meddling fault-finding for which he is revered and loathed in equal measure.

Ferguson's claim that Chelski's league demise was brought about by last summer's acquisition of their two superstars is unlikely to be quibbled with by Jose Mourinho, yet the Portuguese may be less inclined to agree that signing Ballack and Shevchenko was itself a consequence of a strategic mistake.

"I was quite happy that they were signing those type of players because I felt they were going to concentrate on Europe," Ferguson cooed on MUTV. "When I see them I see European players. I thought it was designed to get them the European Cup so I wasn't too concerned.

"I thought, 'I hope they can concentrate on that and leave the league to us.' That would have been very nice of them, but they challenged us all the way."

Yet is Ferguson's apparent support for Milan in Athens on May 23 that is bound to raise the most hackles.

Having previously been reluctant to add fuel to the fire that forever burns between Manchester and Liverpool, the ManYoo boss has dismissed the Reds' hopes of registering a sixth European Cup triumph.

"I'd bet for sure that Milan will win the Champions League. I'm absolutely certain of it," he told The Sun. "I told their manager Carlo Ancelotti at the end of our semi-final that there is no way he cannot win it now."

Ferguson even plans to drink to Milan's success in two weeks' time.

"Carlo gave me a magnificent bottle of wine. But I immediately told him there is no point in giving such a wonderful gift if he then fails in the final.

"In fact, I told him I would only drink his wine once I see him lifting the Champions Cup."

However, both Chelski and Liverpool can at least take one comfort from Ferguson's barbs - it is a measure of just how far Arsene Wenger's Arsenal have fallen that Fergie didn't even bother to mention the Gunners or his time-honoured adversary.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oh fecking well done Fergie - Liverpool basically guaranteed to lift the CL now you've gone and said that icon_mad.gif

And Samuel Eto'o as our top transfer target? Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

I'd also take Anelka fwiw.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Dream team a perfect blend of Blue and Red

Kevin McCarra May 9, 2007 12:26 AM

A hybrid of Manchester United and Chelsea sounds as if it ought to be a monstrosity of a mutant. There is an incompatibility between the new Premiership champions, with their craving for goals, and Jose Mourinho's side, who sometimes look as if they will only consent to score when strictly necessary. That contrast, however, really suggests that each has what the other lacks.

While it would be unimaginable for Chelsea to drub Roma 7-1, there is little to indicate that United have the resilience to win at Valencia. Despite the fact that tonight's meeting will not see either team at full strength, the respective philosophies should still be visible.

As the FA Cup final could show more conclusively, they complement one another. If a composite line-up is selected the rearguard would come, broadly speaking, from Chelsea while the front end is United's. This, all the same, is more of a thoroughbred than a pantomime horse. The proposed side falls naturally into a 4-2-3-1 formation.

Goalkeeper

Petr Cech (Chelsea)

Few have so forceful a case to be considered the best in the world at their job. Much as Edwin van der Sar has brought reliability to United, Cech makes fewer mistakes and has recovered from a fractured skull to be as convincing as before. Lapses, such as being beaten by Carlos Tevez's drive, attract limited comment because no one can believe their eyes.

Premiership statistics: Games 19, Goals conceded 8

Minutes per goal 203, Clean sheets 12

Right-back

Gary Neville (Manchester United)

Even with his ankle problem he could have seen off all challengers from Stamford Bridge, so unsatisfactory have Chelsea been in this area. Whether selecting the disappointing Paulo Ferreira, the midfielder Geremi, or squandering a miscast Michael Essien in the position, Mourinho cannot be content. Sir Alex Ferguson must know how hard it is to get right-backs and he will be glad to have the Premiership's best in Neville.

Premiership statistics: Games 24, Tackles made 50

Tackles won 74%, Interceptions 24

Centre-half

Ricardo Carvalho (Chelsea)

John Terry may have resumed after back surgery but the physical assertiveness has understandably diminished and he is not yet as commanding as he was. It is Carvalho, as Mourinho himself announced, who has been Chelsea's leading defender this season and Didier Drogba is his sole rival as the club's player of the year. The Portuguese brings the ball out smoothly and he has the gift of timing his challenges perfectly when lesser footballers would concede a penalty.

Premiership statistics: Games 31, Tackles made 68

Tackles won 85%, Interceptions 32

Centre-half

Nemanja Vidic (Manchester United).

While the smooth movement of Rio Ferdinand will always take the eye it is Vidic who has underwritten a long-awaited improvement of the back four. United have not had a centre-half with such focus for a long time and Ferguson was exultant at signing the Serb, who is dedicated solely to maintaining his vigilance and winning the ball in the air or on the ground.

Premiership statistics: Games 25, Tackles made 39

Tackles won 85%, Interceptions 11

Left-back

Ashley Cole (Chelsea)

He has not had a triumphant campaign, but his main competitor for the post in this composite line-up is also at Stamford Bridge: Wayne Bridge. Though Patrice Evra has been satisfactory for United, Gabriel Heinze is diminished. Cole has had knee-ligament problems, but while overlapping runs are less common at Chelsea he is a secure defender.

Premiership statistics: Games 23, Tackles made 74

Tackles won 85%, Interceptions 19

Holding midfielder

Michael Essien (Chelsea)

The £24.4m transfer fee no longer rates a surprised mention. Essien is one of the keys to a successful future for Chelsea. Considering the Ghanaian's dynamism a way would have to be found for him to break out of defensive midfield from time to time, although his tackling and steady use of the ball do equip him perfectly for the holding role.

Premiership statistics: Games 32, Goals 2

Total passes 1,682, Goal assists 3

Holding midfielder

Michael Carrick (Manchester United

His old manager Martin Jol liked to highlight the midfielder's clever positioning as well as his passing and Carrick has proved a significant purchase for United. As he has become comfortable at Old Trafford there have been traces of adventure as well. His two goals surprised Roma and gave the home crowd a pleasant shock.

Premiership statistics: Games 31, Goals 3

Total passes 1,770, Goal assists 3

Attacking midfielder

Cristiano Ronaldo (Manchester United)

Some of the claims made for him will look exaggerated until, for instance, he dominates a key Champions League fixture, but Ronaldo has still been remarkable for his readiness to endure the fouls of defenders without becoming subdued. He beats his man repeatedly, scores regularly and lays on many chances for others.

Premiership statistics: Games 33, Goals 14

Total passes 1,172, Goal assists 8

Attacking midfielder

Wayne Rooney (Manchester United)

Even in a patchy season his extraordinary gifts mean that he would edge out Frank Lampard for this position. It was typical of his bold confidence that it should be Rooney whose goals turned a 2-1 deficit into a 3-2 win over Milan in the first leg of the Champions League semi-final. .

Premiership statistics: Games 33, Goals 14

Total passes 1,131, Goal assists 11

Attacking midfielder

Ryan Giggs (Manchester United)

It is tough to decide between the Welshman and Paul Scholes, the other veteran whose form revived so markedly. Giggs, all the same, has been more menacing since his unexpectedly convincing evolution from winger to inside-forward. Scholes, by contrast, is commonly asked to sit deeper than he ever did before.

Premiership statistics: Games 29, Goals 4

Total passes 1,010, Goal assists 7

Forward

Didier Drogba (Chelsea)

The club might have floundered utterly without his 31 goals. Drogba has pace, strength, determination and skill, with his first touch a bit more dependable than in the past. As with Ronaldo, there was a dive or two, but the commitment of both deserved even more comment.

Premiership statistics: Games 35, Goals 19

Shots on target 45, Chance conversion 18%

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">It is tough to decide between the Welshman and Paul Scholes, the other veteran whose form revived so markedly. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

you what icon_biggrin.gif

Whatever anyone else posts about that team, nothing is wronger than this

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Ryan Giggs (Manchester United)

It is tough to decide between the Welshman and Paul Scholes </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> MANCHESTER UNITED are poised to build on their Premiership title triumph with the £17.5million capture of Portuguese prodigy Nani.

Sir Alex Ferguson has urged the United board to move swiftly to sign the Sporting Lisbon star, who has been dubbed the new Cristiano Ronaldo.

Ferguson sees Nani, 20, whose favoured position is on the left of midfield, as the long-term replacement for Ryan Giggs.

Advertisement

Click here to find out more!

Nani has a clause in his contract stating he can leave Sporting if any club comes in with a bid of £17.5m and United are determined to take advantage of that situation. With Nani sharing the same agent as Ronaldo in Jorge Mendes, United are hoping to steal a march on their rivals by landing a player who is considered one of the hottest properties in Europe.

Ronaldo and Nani came through the Sporting system together and the United star has endorsed his friend's ability and character in conversations with Ferguson.

Nani has rejected the chance of a move to Atletico Madrid because he is desperate to join Ronaldo at United.

"I'll only leave Portugal to play for a club like United," said Nani. "The Premiership is spectacular and to be the next Cristiano would be a dream for me."

Reply With Quote </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Rcjuk:

:*)

Get him in, hes fb, him and ronaldo swapping wings :*)

Giggs benched :*) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Exactly right icon_smile.gif

Would be great...can't see it happening. We'll go for a panic last minute buy. Probably Simon Davies or somebody. Tragic icon_frown.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mark g:

Whatever anyone else posts about that team, nothing is wronger than this

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Ryan Giggs (Manchester United)

It is tough to decide between the Welshman and Paul Scholes </div></BLOCKQUOTE> </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It lost credibility with me as soon as Ashley Cole was given the left back berth but it became utterly laughable as soon as I realised that the Ginger Prince had been omitted.

I really don’t get how the media can continually assert that Giggsy has been in seemingly imperious form this season. Was he very influential during an extended spell at the beginning of the season? Sure. The odd game here and there where he’s definitely deserved praise and made a telling contribution? Absolutely. Has his experience and presence on the pitch invariably helped on occasion in the absence of viable alternatives even when his form has dipped below par? Very possibly. But regular viewing of our games should make it clear that he’s been nowhere near the level of Paul Scholes this season. Rooney & Carrick shouldn’t even be ahead of him in that “teamâ€.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Saha:

Then why are the gingers still there?

In fact, get everyone with a scar in. Ribbers on the wing, Tevez up front. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Lescott in at the back. He can play LB as well, so that's Fergie placated.

Literally no idea how as an attacker you could play against Lescott. You'd look up every so often and just get stunned with fright, allowing him to take the ball off you.

deffo purchase.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Saha:

Literally no idea how as an attacker you could play against Lescott. You'd look up every so often and just get stunned with fright, allowing him to take the ball off you.

deffo purchase. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The only people who could get past him would be the likes of Defoe, Baros and Saha, who never look up.

The reverse must be true with Ribery and Tevez then.

Btw, was watching Revista yesterday and Ballague was saying that he thinks Pique is definitely being brought back to OT this summer to be Rio & Nemanja's immediate back-up because his form at CB & DM has been so good this season.

Archived