The Manchester United thread 2006/2007 - featuring BBB leaving early

foobR

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20:

Cristiano Ronaldo - Sir Matt Busby Player of the Year, United Players' Player of the Year, PFA Player of the Year, PFA Young Player of the Year, PFA Fans' Player of the Year, FWA Footballer of the Year, Portuguese Footballer of the Year. all that remains is to add the United Thread Player of the Year award icon_cool.gif

you c**ts will probably vote for Richardson now just to spite me. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Too right. Not to spite you though.

• Replies 51.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ACou2000:

not entirely useless then, that'll do icon_cool.gif

btw I demand a link to Ronaldo doing the motions to his own chant </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

was right in front of me icon_cool.gif

couldn't be arsed to video it though. sure somewhere will have it.

right, while we're in awards mode, i'll be opening the voting for our awards at the weekend icon_cool.gif

basically thought i'd run the list of categories by you lot to see if there are any new awards you want to see, categories you want rid of etc. these are the ones we've used for the past two seasons (the 2004 awards were tragically lost when that thread was culled. dunno if ec7 has the results saved anywhere, would be good though):

Player of the Year

Young player of the Year (under 21)

Reserve player of the Year

Worst player of the Year

Most improved player

Most disappointing player

Best signing

Worst signing

Best team performance

Worst team performance

Favourite moment

Worst moment

Biggest disappointment

Funniest moment

Goal of the season

Favourite game

Best decision

Best chant/song

Worst decision

Best away fans

Worst away fans

3 players to sign

3 players to go

Most looking forward to next year

United thread user of the year

United thread worst user

Most improved user

Favourite trespasser

Least favourite trespasser

obviously the best/worst signing awards are a bit superfluous this season, cheers glazer. gonna cull one of worst moment/most disappointing moment, unless anyone objects. bit similar, as the results in previous years have borne out.

btw, anyone doing their votes now will be soundly mocked. i'm even running a book on which chump is likely to do so.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Sir Matt Busby Player of the Year

1988/89 Bryan Robson

1989/90 Gary Pallister

1990/91 Mark Hughes

1991/92 Brian McClair

1992/93 Paul Ince

1993/94 Eric Cantona

1994/95 Andrei Kanchelskis

1995/96 Eric Cantona

1996/97 David Beckham

1997/98 Ryan Giggs

1998/99 Roy Keane

1999/00 Roy Keane

2000/01 Teddy Sheringham

2001/02 Ruud van Nistelrooy

2002/03 Ruud van Nistelrooy

2003/04 Cristiano Ronaldo

2004/05 Gabriel Heinze

2005/06 Wayne Rooney </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

One extremely notable omission from that list.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by theis:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Sir Matt Busby Player of the Year

1988/89 Bryan Robson

1989/90 Gary Pallister

1990/91 Mark Hughes

1991/92 Brian McClair

1992/93 Paul Ince

1993/94 Eric Cantona

1995/96 Eric Cantona

1996/97 David Beckham

1997/98 Ryan Giggs

1998/99 Roy Keane

1999/00 Roy Keane

2000/01 Teddy Sheringham

2004/05 Gabriel Heinze

One extremely notable omission from that list. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Assume you're talking about Schmeical? But it's a good point even if you're not...

Is this the award voted for by Man Utd supporters or what? Surprised that CRonaldo won it in 03/04, didn't actually know he'd been around (in England) that long.

Also surprised at Heinze winning one even though he's fffffffb.

Scholesy unfortunate in that his best seasons have clashed with someone else having a sensational season (Ronnie this year, Ruud in 2003, Keano in 1999). dare say if he was more of a limelight-grabbing player he'd probably have won it once or twice (and a lot of other awards) - sure he's not remotely arsed though.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20:

Scholesy unfortunate in that his best seasons have clashed with someone else having a sensational season (Ronnie this year, Ruud in 2003, Keano in 1999). dare say if he was more of a limelight-grabbing player he'd probably have won it once or twice (and a lot of other awards) - sure he's not remotely arsed though. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

yeah, he is possibly the most humble person in the world. Was thinking about it the other day and how he's even more humble than your average person. Most other people in his position would surely take some of the associated glory/fame/respect etc that he could. But he does everything possible to lead a completely average life. Whilst being one of the best players in the world at the same time.

not read it myself but someone (Juni iirc) was telling me about an interview with him in FourFourTwo where he detailed his ideal day - was something like 'get up, take the kids to school, train, pick up kids from school, play with the kids, have tea, put kids to bed, watch tv with the wife, go to bed' icon_biggrin.gif

absolute hero. unlike lots of stars he generally only gets the credit he deserves from those that truly know their football, and i suspect he wouldn't have it any other way.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by punkskamonkey:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by theis:

1988/89 Bryan Robson

1989/90 Gary Pallister

1990/91 Mark Hughes

1991/92 Brian McClair

1992/93 Paul Ince

1993/94 Eric Cantona

1995/96 Eric Cantona

1996/97 David Beckham

1997/98 Ryan Giggs

1998/99 Roy Keane

1999/00 Roy Keane

2000/01 Teddy Sheringham

2004/05 Gabriel Heinze

One extremely notable omission from that list. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Assume you're talking about Schmeical? But it's a good point even if you're not...

Is this the award voted for by Man Utd supporters or what? Surprised that CRonaldo won it in 03/04, didn't actually know he'd been around (in England) that long.

Also surprised at Heinze winning one even though he's fffffffb. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Heinze won it in his debut season when he basically killed everyone in sigh. Much like what Vidic did this year and even Evra.

Heinze please come back icon_frown.gif

I think know why Steve Claridge is no longer a manager. this is from the Guardian highlights of the season piece.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Best team performance Manchester United and their 1-0 win at Anfield in March. To go there and snatch three points from their greatest rivals was so important for the entire season. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

When a manager doesn't understand the difference between "performance" and "result", you know he's got problems.

Player of the Year: Vida

Young player of the Year (under 21): There are no under-21 players who have impressed in the First Team

Reserve player of the YearBarnes

Worst player of the Year: Richardson. He might have improved slightly towards the end but it's not fooling anybody.

Most improved player: Evra

Most disappointing player:

Best signing: Carrick, did we sign anyone else?

Best team performance: 7-1

Worst team performance The lost to Crewe in League Cup

Favourite moment 3 left backs on the field at the same time against Toffee

Worst moment

Biggest disappointment: Not getting into CL Final

Goal of the season:Cronaldo's goal against Euro XI

3 players to sign: Nani, Berbatov, probably Hargreaves but we don't really need him

3 players to go: Richardson, Silvestre, can't decide on the 3rd one really, now that JOS is a legend for that goal against Liverpool and scoring as many goals as Shevchenko

United thread user of the year:NickOGS

United thread worst user:Me

Favourite trespasser: Juni

Least favourite trespasser: Any Citeh Fans

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by James07?:

this isn't the awards, it's just a debate on the categories?

red comet not paying attention. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

To be fair to him, not many people read Nick's posts. I know i don't.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by gonch19:

and bbb, seriously, can you post that email address you use to make complaints, ta... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

bbb stop ignoring me ffs

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BBB:

it's not the best is it icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It actually is icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by No Longer Bling:

if i were ever to imagine what bbbs sex face would be, i would imagine it to be that. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

icon_eek.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by No Longer Bling:

IF i said IF </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think you've got a mental picture now.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> SO MUCH then for the idea Sir Alex Ferguson was the guardian of the spirit of our beautiful game.

So much for the idea that our finest living manager would stand up for the fairness of the Premiership on its final day of the season.

Because Ferguson did not just play a weakened side against West Ham United at Old Trafford on Sunday.

Advertisement

Click here to find out more!

He sent them out into the thick of the relegation battle showing all the fight of a pussycat on valium.

In the process, with a 1-0 defeat, he let Sheffield United down, he let the Premiership down, he let his club down and he let himself down.

If he had done what he had said he was going to do, he could have rescued the end of the season from the injustice that has blighted it.

If he had put his best team out, or even something close to it, he could have earned our thanks a new after a campaign of scintillating footbal from his team.

United should have been more than capable of beating West Ham, even with the FA Cup Final just six days away.

And if they had, Wigan's 2-1 victory at Bramall Lane would have completed the story and allowed English football to escape its shame.

West Ham would have been relegated, as everyone accepts they should have been, while Wigan and Sheffield United would have survived.

Except Ferguson went back on his word. He did not play his strongest side. Nowhere near it.

No wonder Blades boss Neil Warnock was astonished when he heard United had started without Paul Scholes, Ryan Giggs, Cristiano Ronaldo, Nemanja Vidic and Rio Ferdinand.

No wonder he felt Ferguson had sold him a dummy. The truth is, Ferguson sold us all a dummy.

In the process, he opened himself up to accusations of letting his pal Alan Curbishley off the hook.

And he dragged the name of his club into a murky, despicable business that has tainted this season.

How sad that Ferguson could not do the right thing. How sad that the sense of honour and fairness on which he prides himself deserted him when it mattered.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oliver Holt in the mirror, with the headline

SHAME ON YOU FERGIE

nothing about the vermin doing it though eh

I think he's trying to make the point that Wesy Ham 'should' havve been relegated, and United let them off - whereas if Liverpool would have beate Fulham then West Ham would still have survived.

Still wildly OTT though.

Archived