The Manchester United thread 2006/2007 - featuring BBB leaving early

foobR

• Replies 51.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Gregg Carter:

That's a torte you tart. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Don't be trite. It's a horrible trait.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by gonch19:

damn that email address bounced, are there any other email addys to contact the club? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

haha, the guys probably had to get his e-mail changed in an attempt to avoid BBB's e-mails every other day.

More on Fergie/Saha

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Injured Saha skips dinner as relationship with Ferguson sours further

Daniel Taylor

Wednesday May 16, 2007

The Guardian

Sir Alex Ferguson's relationship with Louis Saha has become increasingly strained because of the striker's susceptibility to injury, with the Frenchman claiming he was not fit enough even to attend Manchester United's end-of-season dinner. Saha, a conspicuous absentee as Cristiano Ronaldo was named as the club's player of the year, has started only four games in 2007 and Ferguson believes the former Fulham striker may become a liability.

United's manager has had angry words with Saha behind the scenes and has pointedly remarked in press conferences that the player needs to feel he is 100% fit or he does not play. The inference is that most players would try to run off niggling injuries and that Saha did not show the same dedication as others.

Saha has had recurrent hamstring problems and, having finally been given the medical all-clear, he has been ruled out of Saturday's FA Cup final against Chelsea after damaging knee cartilage in training. He was at Old Trafford on Sunday to collect his Premiership winner's medal but he later submitted a doctor's note explaining that he was unable to drive and would therefore not attend the club dinner. Although he was given permission to stay at home, it is felt by some inside the club that he could have made it.

The episode is unlikely to have improved Ferguson's faltering opinion of the former Fulham attacker, with every other player from the senior, reserve and youth academy squads in attendance apart from Park Ji-sung, who is recovering from a major knee operation.

Ferguson's primary concern is that he wanted Saha to form a regular partnership with Wayne Rooney in attack. After an encouraging start to the season, Saha lost his place when Henrik Larsson joined on loan and has subsequently suffered a string of injuries. Three and a half years after signing for United for £12.8m he has started only 66 games and, to Ferguson's irritation, there have been three occasions in the past six weeks when he has been pencilled in to make his comeback, and given the all-clear by the club's doctors, only to rule himself out at the last minute.

Ferguson's frustrations derive from the fact that United are generally at their best when Saha is in attack. The striker, for his part, has made it clear he wants to remain at Old Trafford. "There is no reason to leave," he said last night. "We have just won the title and I want to stay at the club to help us win more championships."

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

King Louis :*(

If he goes, surely it's got to be strikers we're talking about bringing in during the summer. Unless you bring Rossi back as Rooney cover, Smith as cover for whoever we bring in and Ole as the occasional impact. Still feels a tad light, mind. Particularly considering our other favourite option (Giggs up top) is, well, a bit rubbish really.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by alilaw:

King Louis :*(

If he goes, surely it's got to be strikers we're talking about bringing in during the summer. Unless you bring Rossi back as Rooney cover, Smith as cover for whoever we bring in and Ole as the occasional impact. Still feels a tad light, mind. Particularly considering our other favourite option (Giggs up top) is, well, a bit rubbish really. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think it'll be striker singular at best, whether he stays or goes. We definitely need one either way, but we need a winger and a destructive centre mid ahead of a backup striker. And it needs to be a striker rather than a Tevez style creative forward, and preferrably someone with genuine pace and mobility.

I'm struggling to see us getting the three (minimum) players we need this season without taking a chance or two. Given that, and the rumours that Parker wants to leave Newcastle, would anyone take a punt on him to save probably £10m on what we'd pay for Hargeaves?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by No Longer Bling:

defoe icon_cool.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I thought the "who can hit a barn door" part of the requirement would be taken as pretty much a given.

What is wrong with him? Ruud leaves, he establishes himself as first choice alongside Rooney and contributes greatly to United's success this season.

It's the pinnacle of his career to date. Why would he want to give that up? He can't be that stupid not to have taken his manager's warnings seriously. Any other person would risk injury rather than get cast out of Old Trafford.

It indicates that he has some psychological problem due to all his injuries. I just can't explain it otherwise.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">What is wrong with him? Ruud leaves, he establishes himself as first choice alongside Rooney and contributes greatly to United's success this season.

It's the pinnacle of his career to date. Why would he want to give that up? He can't be that stupid not to have taken his manager's warnings seriously. Any other person would risk injury rather than get cast out of Old Trafford.

It indicates that he has some psychological problem due to all his injuries. I just can't explain it otherwise. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Saha i assume you are talking about: he has had more than his fair share of injuries, almost as bad as Owen. We need a striker like RVN who is there all the time, playing consistently and not someone you see on the pitch once every 4 months.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Gregg Carter:

I'd say Parker is far closer in style to Carrick than Hargreaves for me Mark.

He's kind of like a "best of both worlds" kinda player if you compare him to those two. Just not quite as good. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't think he's anything like Carrick. icon_confused.gif

He's got a similar engine and mobility to Hargreaves, bit better on the ball, not quite so tigerish and destructive.

Carrick is far more a sit deep, hit a long ball if it's on, keep posession if it's not type.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Terry Cheung:

What is wrong with him? Ruud leaves, he establishes himself as first choice alongside Rooney and contributes greatly to United's success this season.

It indicates that he has some psychological problem due to all his injuries. I just can't explain it otherwise. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's the classic for the perenially injured player. They've had so many injuries in the past that every niggle that should be something to play through and ignore, becomes in their mind potentially the start of another serious lay off. So they don't risk it where others would, and both miss huge numbers of games anyway and **** their manager off at the same time.

I do have sympathy for him. When you've had the number of injuries he's had, i don't think there's many of us who wouldn't think the same way. But at the end of the day, the club has to come first, and we need someone we can rely on.

He used to ping the ball around a lot though didnt he when at Charlton? Thats what i meant with it really, his passing abilities being in a similar vein but not as good. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's not how i remember him from then, but then again you know what my memory's like icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Saha:

I'm getting tired of Mark's anti-Tevez stance. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Don't get me wrong, i think he's great. I just don't think he fits into our squad with what we've got and what we need.

Anyway, why didn't you tell us you were going to be on TV?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by James07?:

I'd like to think Louis is simply conducting a one man protest about the 'end of season' party being held before the cup final. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've got a feeling that may turn out to be the right decision. I don't know why, but themore i think about saturday, the more i see a repeat of the Arsenal final on the horizon icon_frown.gif

Unless Jose really does have to play Hilario up front and his currently missing dog at left back, of course.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Saha:

Well you're just a big bully. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If you're going to try and be like Ryan, you have to take all that entails, inlcuding me bullying you.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20:

working for a motorbike insurance firm - one i thought i was going for was in customer service (which i've years of experience in), one i ended up interviewing for was in sales, which i don't want to do at all really. both pretty crummy, but the former would have done me for a few months at least. looks like a really good company to work for as well, annoying. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

if that's carole nash then they are supposed to be very good to work for...

Parker is nothing like Carrick. icon_biggrin.gif

And whenever I've seen Newcastle play this season Parker has been outplayed by a certain Nicky Butt. His passing has been shoddy and he looks no-where near his Charlton form.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Daily Mail: 'United, meanwhile, are tracking Porto wonderkid Anderson. The 19-year-old Brazilian-born winger has been in brilliant form since his recent return from injury. Martin Ferguson, brother of manager Sir Alex, was in Portugal last weekend watching Anderson in action in Porto's 1-1 draw at Pacos de Ferreira.' </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">The definitely going to be joining Manchester United, no doubt about it, cos the papers say so list

Anderson - Porto (Daily Mail)

Mikel Arteta - Everton (Guardian)

Gareth Bale - Southampton (Mirror)

Dimitar Berbatov - Spurs (Guardian)

Jermain Defoe - Spurs (Guardian)

Samuel Eto'o - Barca (Daily Mail)

Eidur Gudjohnsen - Barca (NOTW)

Owen Hargreaves - Bayern Munich (Times)

Klaas Jan Huntelaar - Ajax (Guardian)

Benni McCarthy - Blackburn (NOTW)

Youssouf Mulumbu - PSG (Youssouf Mulumbu)

Nani - Sporting Lisbon (Guardian)

Michael Owen - Newcastle (Various + BBC)

Franck Ribery - Marseille (Himself via Sky)

Micah Richards - Manchester City (Mirror)

Steve Sidwell - Reading (Mirror)

Carlos Tevez - West Ham (Star, Mirror)

Fernando Torres - Atletico Madrid (Mirror)

Running Total: 18

Predicted Final Total

Irish – 170

James07? – 112

bling – 102

pjburrage – 99

WSR – 95

theis – 92

alilaw – 89

Nezell – 87

14AlanSmithifb – 85

Hero of the day – 83

vanester – 82

T!mbo – 80

BBB – 79

gonch19 – 78

Bagpuss – 77

Rb – 76

Pickles – 74

julesMUFC – 71

ajw2255 – 70

Nick OGS20 – 68

Maverick – 64

davidbowie – 63

Ryno – 62

ACou2000 – 60

Gregg Carter – 59

Jimlad – 56

ericcantona7 – 55

Matt Cavanagh – 54

mark g – 52

keyser – 50

player_65 – 46

SLO_Fila – 43

Taz Devil – 41

Saha – 39

The_Fish – 37

finneys13 – 36

Master Blasta – 32

EmmYouEffSee – 29

RedBlood – 26

<STRIKE>qwerty2k – 17</STRIKE>

<STRIKE>Razor Eddie – 16</STRIKE>

<STRIKE>? – 15</STRIKE>

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

another one bites the dust.

in other less reliable speculation, thisisthenortheast.com (really) link us with Mark Viduka, and old favourite tribalfootball.com link us with bids for Ajax's Wesley Sneijder and Brescia's Slovakian midfielder Marek Hamsyk. and the Irish Daily Mirror are saying we've offered JOS a bumper new contract.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">less reliable speculation </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

less reliable than saying Martin was in the crowd, who knows who he was watching.

Archived