The Manchester United thread 2006/2007 - featuring BBB leaving early

foobR

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20:

the bit that got me was Nev and Paddy about halfway through (although for a second it looked like Gary was gonna plant a smacker on poor unsuspecting Patrice). just such obviously awesome team spirit in the squad right now. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, he grabbed him by the shoulders, looked him straight in the eyes, looked like he was going to just smother him and then opted for a hug instead.

• Replies 51.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">The definitely going to be joining Manchester United, no doubt about it, cos the papers say so list

Anderson - Porto (Daily Mail)

Mikel Arteta - Everton (Guardian)

Gareth Bale - Southampton (Mirror)

Dimitar Berbatov - Spurs (Guardian)

Jermain Defoe - Spurs (Guardian)

Samuel Eto'o - Barca (Daily Mail)

Eidur Gudjohnsen - Barca (NOTW)

Owen Hargreaves - Bayern Munich (Times)

Klaas Jan Huntelaar - Ajax (Guardian)

Jean Makoun - Lille (L'Equipe)

Florent Malouda - Lyon (Sky Sports)

Benni McCarthy - Blackburn (NOTW)

Youssouf Mulumbu - PSG (Youssouf Mulumbu)

Nani - Sporting Lisbon (Guardian)

Michael Owen - Newcastle (Various + BBC)

Nathan Porritt - Middlesbrough (Times)

Franck Ribery - Marseille (Himself via Sky)

Micah Richards - Manchester City (Mirror)

Steve Sidwell - Reading (Mirror)

Carlos Tevez - West Ham (Star, Mirror)

Fernando Torres - Atletico Madrid (Mirror)

Mark Viduka - Middlesbrough (Super soaraway sun)

Running Total: 22

Predicted Final Total

Irish – 170

James07? – 112

bling – 102

pjburrage – 99

WSR – 95

theis – 92

alilaw – 89

Nezell – 87

14AlanSmithifb – 85

Hero of the day – 83

vanester – 82

T!mbo – 80

BBB – 79

gonch19 – 78

Bagpuss – 77

Rb – 76

Pickles – 74

julesMUFC – 71

ajw2255 – 70

Nick OGS20 – 68

Maverick – 64

davidbowie – 63

Ryno – 62

ACou2000 – 60

Gregg Carter – 59

Jimlad – 56

ericcantona7 – 55

Matt Cavanagh – 54

mark g – 52

keyser – 50

player_65 – 46

SLO_Fila – 43

Taz Devil – 41

Saha – 39

The_Fish – 37

finneys13 – 36

Master Blasta – 32

EmmYouEffSee – 29

RedBlood – 26

<STRIKE>qwerty2k – 17</STRIKE>

<STRIKE>Razor Eddie – 16</STRIKE>

<STRIKE>? – 15</STRIKE>

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20:

We're also being linked regularly in L'Equipe with Lille's Jean Makoun, is that reputable enough? </div></BLOCKQUOTE> Yes, national publication and all that...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Youssouf Mulumbu - PSG (Youssouf Mulumbu) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Has he got his own paper, the flash git?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Youssouf Mulumbu - PSG (Youssouf Mulumbu) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Has he got his own paper, the flash git?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mark g:

Has he got his own paper, the flash git? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Some quotes from young Youssouf saying United wanted to sign him were picked up by the BBC (I think)…nothing to actually indicate we had any interest whatsoever in him mind.

So it's been a while since we've had one of those interesting hypothetical discussion thingys. An Arsenal supporting colleague's been doing one at work, which I've shamlessly stolen.

Pick an all-time United team, but with no more than one player from any given nationality.

Phrased badly perhaps, but here's my effort. You'll see what I mean.

Schmiechael [DEN]

Irwin [iRE]

Heinze [ARG]

Stam [HOL]

Vidic [sER]

Ronaldo [POR]

Robson [ENG]

Crerand [sCO]

Best [NI]

Cantona [FRA]

Hughes [WAL]

Bench:

Um, Bosnich? [AUS]

Johnsen [NOR]

Fortune [sA]

Kanchelskis [uKR]

Yorke [T&T]

Really scraping the barrel by the bench. The problem arises in who the feck you play at right back really, because it's tended to be Englishmen, erasing all Charlton / Robsons etc. I've gone with Irwin, but that got rid of Keane of course icon_frown.gif

What the hell

Schmeichel [Den]

G. Neville [eng]

Heinze [arg]

Stam [ Hol]

Vidic [serb]

Giggs [Wal]

Ronaldo [port]

Keane [ire]

Best [NI[

Cantona [Fra]

Solskjaer [Nor]

Something like that

Bench

Bosnich

Yorke

Kanchelskis

McClair

Kleberson....I dont know

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">but with no more than one player from any given nationality </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

if you want to be really picky, your english, welsh, scots and northern irish all have a UK passport icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by alilaw:

Realised I forgot Rossi, and would probably have Howard in over Bosnich.

Apart from Rossi, we've never had another Italian then? And we've never had a German either? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Taibi

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Really scraping the barrel by the bench. The problem arises in who the feck you play at right back really, because it's tended to be Englishmen, erasing all Charlton / Robsons etc. I've gone with Irwin, but that got rid of Keane of course </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

John Sivebaek. Of course then you lose Schmikes icon_biggrin.gif

lads, making a cd (or two) for the journey down to Wembley - suggest United-related songs for me to put on it. can be as tenuous a link as you want really. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Apart from the songs already mentioned..

Love will tear us apart (Giggs)

This is how it feels (City)

Lilly the pink (Eric the king)

When we did our top 10 United players the top 7 were all different nationalities:

Cantona

Scholes

Keane

Ole

Giggs

Hughes

Schmeichel

and if you took out Robson and Neville who came in next you'd have:

Van Nistelrooy

Kanchelskis

Irwin

Yorke

The 11th nationality would be McClair who came in after Cole, Rooney, Beckham and Bruce.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Terry Cheung:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by alilaw:

Realised I forgot Rossi, and would probably have Howard in over Bosnich.

Apart from Rossi, we've never had another Italian then? And we've never had a German either? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Taibi </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

And Carlo Sartori.

Schmeichel

Vidic

Bruce

Giggs

Keane

Scholes

Ronaldo

Kanchelskis

Cantona

van Nistelrooy

Yorke

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">

Schmeichel

Bruce Vidic

Kanchelskis Keane Giggs

Cantona Ronaldo

Solskjaer Yorke

v. Nistelrooy

</pre>

Total football. Or a horrible mess.

what do you make of this?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

Milan coach ridicules Reds style

AC Milan Carlo Ancelotti has labelled Liverpool the worst technically-gifted of the three English sides to reach the Champions League semi-finals.

Ancelotti has also accused the Reds of abandoning their English roots ahead of their Champions League final on 23 May.

"Technically, Liverpool are the worst team of the three English sides who reached the semi-finals," he said.

"But out of Liverpool, Chelsea and Manchester United, I'd have preferred United in the final."

He added: "You could see from the two legs of our semi-final with them that they play and let you play. I don't think it will be the same with Liverpool."

AC Milan were beaten by the Anfield side in the 2005 final in the competition after Liverpool came back from 3-0 down to draw level at 3-3 and then win on penalties.

Genarro Gattuso has already taunted the Reds by claiming they are not as good as Manchester United and Ancelotti has stoked the fires further with his latest comments.

He delivered a barb at counterpart Rafael Benitez and a policy he sees as decreasing the number of English players in the team.

"Milan are a strong Italian team. there is a strong Italian culture running through the team." said Ancelotti.

"Liverpool do not have the DNA of an English side. It is more of a Mediterranean team because of the coach."

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by gonch19:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

AC Milan Carlo Ancelotti has labelled Liverpool the worst technically-gifted of the three English sides to reach the Champions League semi-finals.

Ancelotti has also accused the Reds of abandoning their English roots ahead of their Champions League final on 23 May.

"Technically, Liverpool are the worst team of the three English sides who reached the semi-finals," he said.

"But out of Liverpool, Chelsea and Manchester United, I'd have preferred United in the final."

He added: "You could see from the two legs of our semi-final with them that they play and let you play. I don't think it will be the same with Liverpool."

AC Milan were beaten by the Anfield side in the 2005 final in the competition after Liverpool came back from 3-0 down to draw level at 3-3 and then win on penalties.

Genarro Gattuso has already taunted the Reds by claiming they are not as good as Manchester United and Ancelotti has stoked the fires further with his latest comments.

He delivered a barb at counterpart Rafael Benitez and a policy he sees as decreasing the number of English players in the team.

"Milan are a strong Italian team. there is a strong Italian culture running through the team." said Ancelotti.

"Liverpool do not have the DNA of an English side. It is more of a Mediterranean team because of the coach."

</div></BLOCKQUOTE> </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Pretty Much spot on icon14.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by James07?:

We're also being linked regularly in L'Equipe with Lille's Jean Makoun, is that reputable enough? </div></BLOCKQUOTE> Yes, national publication and all that... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

didn't realise we were including national publications for other nations. should have some fun with Marca then \O/

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by 14AlanSmithifb:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by gonch19:

</div></BLOCKQUOTE> </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Pretty Much spot on icon14.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

not sure what to make of it really.

on the one hand its a compliment, as it implies we are the most expansive and exciting team to watch, and the best team in england as proved icon_cool.gif

on the other hand it also implies that teams dont mind facing us in the latter stages as there is a way to beat us so to speak, largely because we dont play so much to negate the other team's strong points, rather playing to our own.

kind of sums up the conundrum of our european trials and tribulations under fergie imo, play to our strengths and be easier to beat / less successful or change our style of play to a liverpool type brand and become mundane and boring, but perhaps more successful?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">"These players have it all. The only limit for them is what they limit themselves to. If they let themselves go on, there is going to be a lot to come from these players. And I am not just talking about Cristiano Ronaldo and Wayne Rooney. We know they are going to be, or rather are two of the best players in the world, but there are others here who still have another couple of gears in them. This side is a very, very exciting team to be a part of. It has pace. It is back to the old United that I used to watch back home before I came to Old Trafford. It is back to the speed of the Andrei Kanchelskis, early Ryan Giggs and Lee Sharpe era. The pace we attack with now is fantastic and so much like those days. The young players we have now are also so brave. They always take the ball. They always want it no matter the situation The belief in ourselves is great. What we have done this year is a fantastic achievement. If we can pull off a win in the FA Cup final it would be a fantastic end to a great, great season. But just to be a part of this exciting unbelievable team is something I will always treasure. I always thought I could still be a part of this despite everything I had gone through. I am not getting any younger but if the gaffer wants me to be a part again of this squad for 10, 20 or 30 games next year, then I will be delighted." </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

god bless you Ole <3

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Manchester United will have to rethink their plan to approach Sporting Lisbon about Nani and Atletico Madrid have been priced out of the market after the player penned a new contract with the Portuguese club.

Weeks of speculation have surrounded the gifted 20-year-old with both The Red Devils and Los Colchoneros said to be monitoring his situation as the end of the season approached.

Sporting have moved quickly to ensure that they do not lose out on their prodigy and have thrashed out a new deal that will see his basic salary and bonuses increase.

More importantly, however, is the fact the player, whose full name is Luis Carlos Almeida da Cunha, has seen his buy-out clause rise to €30m (£20million).

That figure has ensured that Atletico are no longer in the running and may deter Manchester United into making a concrete approach this summer.

The new deal signed by Nani is a six-year contract that will keep him at the club until 2013, unless one of the continent's most affluent clubs matches his buy-out clause.

United were reported to be close to finalising a deal earlier this month for around €25m (£17million), but will have to raise their offer to clinch any deal.

Nani has made no secret that he would fancy teaming up again with Cristiano Ronaldo, who also came through the Sporting youth system.

Sir Alex Ferguson is keen to capture the left-winger as he views him as the successor to Ryan Giggs in The Red Devils' side. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Source

Now what. I'm not believing we would pay 17mil either...

kind of sums up the conundrum of our european trials and tribulations under fergie imo, play to our strengths and be easier to beat / less successful or change our style of play to a liverpool type brand and become mundane and boring, but perhaps more successful? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I disagree.

for me, its when we try to play the "mudane and boring" type game that we are much easier to beat because we just sit there waiting for the other team to score then cant break through a good organised defence to get back in it

we need to be playing to our (attacking) strengths to have a chance in these games

just like Liverpool do with their strengths being in defence

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ACou2000:

kind of sums up the conundrum of our european trials and tribulations under fergie imo, play to our strengths and be easier to beat / less successful or change our style of play to a liverpool type brand and become mundane and boring, but perhaps more successful? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I disagree.

for me, its when we try to play the "mudane and boring" type game that we are much easier to beat because we just sit there waiting for the other team to score then cant break through a good organised defence to get back in it

we need to be playing to our (attacking) strengths to have a chance in these games

just like Liverpool do with their strengths being in defence </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree. After we won it, we only really had one campaign where we played the same way and got caught out before Fergie decided we had to get more 'european' in style. we've never truly just gone for it for the majority of a campaign since.

Archived