The Manchester United thread 2006/2007 - featuring BBB leaving early

foobR

• Replies 51.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BBB:

jules you utter ******, why the hell do you want owen? he's not as good as he used to be and more injury prone than saha ffs </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

haha yeh, well i only meant if we were going to keep saha and going to add a squad striker if we had too, keep him fit he will score you goals.

my bad

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> might put some pictures up later if i cba. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Please do Nick, I wouldn't mind seeing your view. What was the atmosphere like on the bottom tier?

Speaking of Strikers, heres our one man rescue act. Sure to be our player of the season next year given half a chance.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCBxOEcxxOA

Plus his latest two goals.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjqfIplRTS4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vliVEFuGAHU

Parma were in the bottom 3 when he came, they looked odds on to go down but now with one game to go its in their own hands.

Parma are 15th 2 points above 18th and 1point behind 11th.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Weststandred:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> might put some pictures up later if i cba. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Please do Nick, I wouldn't mind seeing your view. What was the atmosphere like on the bottom tier? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

so-so. our actual seats were backrow and the overhang made it a weird atmosphere. i kind of drunkenly swayed down the steps quite often into the open though and it seemed better.

Cool pictures Nick, we had similar seats - back row and around the same position, just the big height difference. I wasn't overly impressed by the stadium either, but I will definitely go again for the Community Shield if we can get same priced tickets or cheaper.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20:

still gutted. third cup final i've been to, we've only lost three out of ten in my lifetime and i've been to all f**king three, give me a break ffs. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

harsh icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Rcjuk:

I might send them ONE DAY </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

sorted now, downloaded them all icon_cool.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20:

still gutted. third cup final i've been to, we've only lost three out of ten in my lifetime and i've been to all f**king three, give me a break ffs. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nick, you know what you must do now.

I'll miss you.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

SIR ALEX FERGUSON ONCE DESCRIBED Manchester United as “a bus that waits for no man†and, as he consoled himself with a little retail therapy yesterday with long-awaited confirmation of a deal to sign Owen Hargreaves from Bayern Munich, it became clear that Gabriel Heinze would be foremost among those passengers left behind.

Heinze was chosen ahead of Patrice Evra at left back on Saturday, at the end of a season-long battle between the two of them, but the FA Cup Final seems certain to mark the Argentina defender’s swansong as a United player. He has told teammates that he does not expect to be at Old Trafford next season, with a move to an unidentified Spanish club believed to be on the cards.

Having served three years of a five-year contract, Heinze could be bought out of his existing deal for approximately £6 million under new Fifa transfer regulations, but United are likely to settle for a slightly smaller sum for a player who has struggled to regain his top form since suffering cruciate knee ligament damage in September 2005 after a highly impressive first season at the club.

There will be other departures this summer, with Ferguson eager to find reinforcements in certain areas and to accommodate a number of young players who have impressed on loan this season. Mikaël Silvestre and Louis Saha are also vulnerable, despite having signed new contracts in the past 12 months, although Saha hopes that recent uncertainty over his future, arising from a series of injuries, will be eased when Ranko Stojic, his agent, speaks to the club this week.

As for Hargreaves, a fee in the region of £18 million was agreed with Bayern last week, with the German club waiting until the end of the Bundesliga campaign yesterday to announce that the deal was done. The midfield player has agreed a four-year contract and could undergo a medical examination at Old Trafford this week, possibly to coincide with his planned appearance in an England B international against Albania at Turf Moor, Burnley, on Friday. No problems are expected, even though he has not recovered full fitness since suffering a broken leg last September.

The signing would be welcomed by Michael Carrick, who would expect to play alongside Hargreaves in midfield next season. “World-class players are going to strengthen you,†Carrick said. “We’re at the biggest club in the world, we want the best players and Owen is a top player.†</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

ARGENTINA icon_frown.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Gregg Carter:

poor Nick. Sacrificing himself for the greater good :*(

I'll miss you too. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's nothing to do with the cup final defeats that's pushed him over the edge, it's the tought of starting work.

When Heinze started over Evra I actually thought it muight be his last game. He missed our last one through injury & said that this cup final was his dream as he had missed the last one. Prettysure that's the case. Think Ferguson started him because of that.

The thing is it's not like he has been poor it's just that Evra has been immense. Plus at his age he won't be happy sat o nthe bench.

its not like fergie to start someone just because its 'his dream.'

i rate heinze less and less these days, that bit of play where he flew into ferreira and completely missed letting lampard get a shot in in the first half pretty much sums him up for me. too erratic and easily exposed. his crossing was poor too.

far prefer evra, though id be gutted to see gaby go as he'd make good backup.

ahaha...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">'MANCHESTER UNITED will look to add three more players to their squad this summer after completing the £18million capture of Owen Hargreaves from Bayern Munich.

Sir Alex Ferguson wants a new striker, winger and defender to bolster his United squad to ensure they can retain their Premiership title and land that elusive Champions League success.

And he will axe keeper Edwin Van der Sar in favour of Ben Foster for next season.

Hargreaves completed his protracted move to United - as exclusively revealed by Mirror Sport last July - after Bayern and United agreed an £18m fee, which could rise to an overall package of £21m.

Hargreaves will sign a four-year deal worth £60,000-aweek. Bayern president Franz Beckenbauer confirmed the move yesterday when he said: "Owen is leaving. That was the player's wish.

"It's a good match and it is also a good deal financially. It is in the range of £18m." Fergie will now turn his attention to other long-term targets including Atletico Madrid striker Fernando Torres, Sporting Lisbon winger Nani and Southampton defender Gareth Bale. But Tottenham's Dimitar Berbatov remains an unlikely signing.

United boss Fergie is also keen on Spurs winger Aaron Lennon, as a long-term replacement for Ryan Giggs.'

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

From the Mirror. I'll eat my hat and anyone else's if they want to donate it if we sign three players this summer, let alone four

for taz

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

Once again, Ronaldo fails when the stage is set for greatness

Manchester United's player of the year has failed his club when it really matters.

Daniel Taylor May 21, 2007 12:39 AM

Maybe it is time to reassess what we mean by greatness. The greats surely choose these blue-riband occasions to demonstrate what it is that distinguishes them and it is not enough to excel in earlier rounds or humdrum league wins against mid-table sides. Finals provide stages for greatness to be measured, the ultimate moments of truth, the points of maximum impact.

So how does Cristiano Ronaldo feel today? Sir Alex Ferguson spoke of the 22-year-old playing against the debilitating effects of fatigue, he talked of the slow playing surface and Chelsea's smothering tactics. But the truth is an uncomfortable one for the Manchester United manager after telling anyone who cared to listen in the weeks running up to this final that Ronaldo stood hand and shoulders above anyone as the best player on the planet. The truth, evidently, is something completely different.

To criticise Ronaldo after he has won enough individual honours to fill a museum is not done lightly, or without regret. His sympathisers may argue, too, that it is unfair to judge a player on one scratchy performance when he has consistently bedazzled us this season. Yet the FA Cup final is not just another game.

This was the day Ronaldo should have validated all those claims of authentic greatness - just as Steven Gerrard did for Liverpool in the last FA Cup final at the Millennium Stadium in Cardiff - and showed an understanding that being a great footballer does not automatically establish him as a football great. Instead, the most extravagantly gifted player on show went AWOL.

"It's going to be difficult for me to forget," was Ronaldo's candid assessment of a match which aroused suspicions that he is still fine-tuning the qualities of competitive intent so important at sport's highest level.

His performances in the last World Cup do not hint at such vulnerability - and the befuddled defenders of Roma may find the suggestion ludicrous after the manner in which he tormented Serie A's second-placed team in the Champions League quarter-finals - but the more thoughtful United supporters will accept that Ronaldo's peripheral, and unusually maladroit, display on the Wembley pitch was not the first time he has failed to respond in a game that has been deliciously set up for him.

Ferguson was also required to find excuses for the winger after his disappeared in the defeat by Benfica last season that eliminated United from the Champions League's group stages and is now remembered as the club's 21st-century nadir.

It was the same a year earlier when Ronaldo belonged to the edges of a harrowing night against Milan at San Siro and that experience was repeated with even more brutality in the semi-finals earlier this month. Ronaldo was not only eclipsed by Kaka, Milan's sweetly gifted Brazilian, but he was a long way behind Andrea Pirlo, Gennaro Gattuso and, in particular, Clarence Seedorf in terms of influence, judgment and nerve.

Paulo Ferreira, a full-back who has seldom been regarded as impenetrable since becoming one of Jose Mourinho's first signings for Chelsea, nullified Ronaldo so well in the opening hour the undisputed footballer of the year eventually swapped flanks to see if he would get any more joy against Wayne Bridge. He did not. There was one occasion when he cut inside the left-back, but he finished the run by shooting harmlessly into the side netting. And that was pretty much it.

The lesson is that we - "we" being the public, the media and, unusually for him, Ferguson - were maybe misguided, certainly premature, when we dared to believe that Ronaldo had already eclipsed previous incumbents of the No7 shirt, such as David Beckham and Eric Cantona, and could realistically be put on the same pedestal as Pele, Diego Maradona, Johan Cruyff and George Best.

Any old-timer at Old Trafford - if they are being absolutely honest - will admit that Best had the occasional stinker, too. Nonetheless, he would generally thrive on the bigger occasions. Ronaldo seemed to shrivel. Blame it on fatigue, the pitch, the opposition, but it was his inability to have any influence that sent the final on its downward spiral into anti-climax and tedium. Astonishingly, Ronaldo hardly managed a cross worthy of the description all afternoon.

Most exciting player in the world? Certainly. But that does not make him the most influential and until he makes the crossover we should be careful, Ferguson included, not to warp what greatness truly means.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

absolute tripe imo, though he was poor on saturday.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Ronaldo hardly managed a cross worthy of the description all afternoon. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

didn't he cross the ball that Giggs should've scored from?

great cross, even if he did do little else all game, so what he's been by far the best player in a very good team this season, we can't expect him to win us every game single handedly ffs.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ericcantona7:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Ronaldo hardly managed a cross worthy of the description all afternoon. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

didn't he cross the ball that Giggs should've scored from?

great cross, even if he did do little else all game, so what he's been by far the best player in a very good team this season, we can't expect him to win us every game single handedly ffs. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nah, that was Rooney.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Rcjuk:

I might send them ONE DAY </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

sorted now, downloaded them all icon_cool.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

not as good quality as the originals

which i will get round to sending them if you like? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

that'd be lovely icon14.gif

fed up with defending Ronaldo really. seems journalists and all sorts of fans - neutrals or otherwise - expect him to win these big games single-handedly even when the rest of the team are poor, the manager gets his tactics all wrong and he's being double marked. suppose it was always gonna happen with the press especially - build him up knock him down etc.

yeah there was never anyone in the box anyway, Ronaldo never had an outlet, and he rarely got the ball, which you could partly put down to his positional play but I wouldn't really. The only thing I'd criticise is that sometimes he didn't track back when he should've, but he was obviously too tired and has been for a few weeks. We desperately need another winger, not just to rest Giggs, but ronaldo too, god park better be fit for next season.

and yeah, he got a few crosses in. dare say if we were playing 442 and had an out and out forward on the pitch one of them might have come to something.

i also think to say 'Ferreira nullified him' is rot, he was getting some joy out of him. seemed a weird choice to switch him over to me.

fed up with defending Ronaldo really. seems journalists and all sorts of fans - neutrals or otherwise - expect him to win these big games single-handedly even when the rest of the team are poor, the manager gets his tactics all wrong and he's being double marked. suppose it was always gonna happen with the press especially - build him up knock him down etc. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's a blog entry on the guardian so i replied this morning. Basically, i find it hard to see how someone can write an article saying he never turns up in big games, which lists the big games in which he has been great. icon_confused.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mark g:

Nick, are you going on monday, or are you scared the jinx will continue? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

monday? you've lost me

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ericcantona7:

yeah there was never anyone in the box anyway, Ronaldo never had an outlet, and he rarely got the ball, which you could partly put down to his positional play but I wouldn't really. The only thing I'd criticise is that sometimes he didn't track back when he should've, but he was obviously too tired and has been for a few weeks. We desperately need another winger, not just to rest Giggs, but ronaldo too, god park better be fit for next season. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If you're going to play that formation as 4-3-3 rather than 4-5-1 he shouldn't be tracking back too much anyway. Three deep central midfielders and full backs who don't get over the half way line should be more than enough cover.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mark g:

Nick, are you going on monday, or are you scared the jinx will continue? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

monday? you've lost me </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Jonah at Wembley? Some fan you are icon_rolleyes.gif

monday? you've lost me </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Jonah at Wembley? Some fan you are icon_rolleyes.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

icon_frown.gif

i shall be watching it in the pub. my jinx doesn't extend to all finals, although in purely wembley terms it's 0/4 in finals, so it's best i stay at home and try not to curse him.

i'd be alright if i was scouse, my charity shield record isn't bad, i could count them.

Archived